calling all Olymous owners

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
just a shout out to all the Olympus owners on TP i just wanted to say hi im a newbie to Olympus DSLR's having recently got an E520 and i would just like to set up a discussion of anything Olympus related for other Oly users on TP.:)[/FON[S4][/S4]T]

Chris

Yep I remember that ad, watched it on the telly. Still didn't buy a Trip mind :D

Yep another fellow Olympus user here both film and digital :D

Hiya!

Fellow Olymnpus E-520 and E-620 owner here.

Though fairly new myself happy to help if I can.

First thought:

I find TP an excellent site for all round advice, but I also visit The Olympus E-Group and the Four Thirds Forum for Olympus specific queries.

I am also a member of the Olympus UK Photo Safari Group. Another excellent source of information and a real-life group which meets up all over the country.

Kind regards

Graydon

I'm an Oly user.

E-3 and E620 here. Love the weatherproofing on the E3 and lenses. Best of all is the colour though.

With the E620 and EP1 Oly is getting a lot more interest. Can't wait for the E3 replacement (even though I've not nearly reached the limit of my current setup)

The only thing that I'd really like is proper TTL radio flash. My guess is that Pocketwizard etc will only develop this for Canon and Nikon systems. Still, manual seems to be working pretty well so far.

The E-620 seems to be generating some interest, doesn't it? :)

It does and is getting some good reviews as well. Not sure what to make of the "Art Filters" but I am sure someone will like them and make use of them.

The Pen is also getting lots of interest as well. :thinking: may go have a hunt and look for an original Pen-F the old half frame film camera.

I have only had the E3 about a year so don't think I will be changing my kit for a while yet. Still got and use the old E-20 that is great little camera

It does and is getting some good reviews as well. Not sure what to make of the "Art Filters" but I am sure someone will like them and make use of them.

I must say I was sceptical. However, walking down the street the day after I purchased the E-620 I found myself making "Instant Art" with some of the Art filters. It's not going ot be everyone's cup of tea but I liked it. I still prefer processing in PP after taking a 'proper photograph' but it gives the user an additional fun element. Do try it before dismissing it.

Regards

Graydon

Hi,

I so want to buy an olympus but worry so much about the high iso noise. Iknow the sensor isnt that much smaller but every image ive een at iso800+ is noisy as hell. Is the E3 as bad for this?

Oh I don't know. There is a chap on one of the Four Third sites that shoots at 3200 and his images look very good. Once you get into high iso range then all images will need a little more processing to get the best from them. Unless you have full frame camera.

Here is an example from some stuff I did a few weeks ago:

1)
3739975258_a41c170aa1.jpg

1) Shot at RAW ISO 800 some noise reduction processing done don't think I did anything else to it. saved as tiff resized then saved as a jpeg.

2)
3739179529_3301b6b858.jpg

2) Nothing done to this one other then resized and saved as a jpeg file.

Shot from an Oly E3 ISO 800

Hi,

I so want to buy an olympus but worry so much about the high iso noise. Iknow the sensor isnt that much smaller but every image ive een at iso800+ is noisy as hell. Is the E3 as bad for this?
Hiya cloudhunter

No need for concerns, there's no worry where the E-3 is concerned. Here you go;

ISO3200, f5.6, 1/20th, handheld, kit lens 50-150mm

p393738416.jpg

WOW!!! Thats really really good for iso3200! Why do people slate olympus high iso then?

Because of several reasons if I am totally honest.

They used to be very bad at high ISO on earlier DSLR's, the E-400 and E-410 especially, and to a point also on the E-510. But with the advent of the E-3, the E620 and the E-30, noise issues are all but gone. It is still there of course at very high ISO, but at least you can now use ISO3200 as I demonstrated here.

I hate to say it, but other reasons are cliquiness and ignorance - facets quickly disappearing from here on TP thankfully though.

There's no way Oly can compete with any full frame sensor re noise, but there are significantly less noise issues on the latest batch of Oly kit.

WOW!!! Thats really really good for iso3200! Why do people slate olympus high iso then?

Because people on forums like this and all other forums be it cars, aviation, football or embroidery just parrot what they've heard from some other "expert" rather than bother to find out for themselves. IMHO :)

It used to be the case that Oly shots were more noisy, and to be fair they are a bit noisier than Nikon and Canon still. The noise can be processed away though. The Oly faster glass is very good wide open which also means you can generally use a lower ISO too.

You need to think about what you are going to use the camera for. If you're doing a lot of indoor low light shots you should look at Nikon. Otherwise Oly is great, especially the colours outdoors. Sky blue and green really come out. As Knikki and theMusicMan show, you can get great results even in these conditions.

For me, proper weatherproofing, great lenses, great colours, IS with all lenses and never worrying about dust more than make up for it.

I can imagine the crop factor for aviation would be superb as your getting double the range arent you?

Also what olympus has a normal sized viewfinder cause i looked through an e520 and it was tiny.

What model are you considering...? Thought about glass...? What you gonna shoot?

Still makes me laugh that advertising line, "Olympus, even simple people could use it" :LOL:

What model are you considering...? Thought about glass...? What you gonna shoot?

Considering the E3 (mainly cause of the better bigger viewfinder) and will be shooting aircraft mainly. Was going to get something like the 14-54mm lens and 70-300

That would set me back approx £1500. Am i mad to spend that as i would get a better setup with another make or would the e3 and them lenses give me a really good setup?

For the money, the range is superb, but remember the weatherproofing of the E-3 is useless if you are using the 70-300 as that is not weatherproof.

The 50-200 is a much better (and much more expensive) lens, if it can be afforded and will give the best of the rest a true run for their money.

Considering the E3 (mainly cause of the better bigger viewfinder) and will be shooting aircraft mainly. Was going to get something like the 14-54mm lens and 70-300

That would set me back approx £1500. Am i mad to spend that as i would get a better setup with another make or would the e3 and them lenses give me a really good setup?
Chris is spot on re the 50-200mm lens - it's class, nothing short of. If you can afford it, I'd try to get that one - and you can use it effectively with the EC1.4 too with no IQ loss.

I never shoot aircraft, except the once when I was in the area of Cardiff airport on a really wet and miserable day when a famous old plane was there. Here's the shots I took with the E-3 and the Sigma 50-500mm.

http://www.reflectingme.com/p130095417

See... told you I was ***** :)

TBH I've never looked at the brand but I remember the ad's as a kid, off to google.

Nice to meet a good sport (y)

hehe... no sweat matey... nothing like a bit of fun, life's too short! :LOL:

For the money, the range is superb, but remember the weatherproofing of the E-3 is useless if you are using the 70-300 as that is not weatherproof.

The 50-200 is a much better (and much more expensive) lens, if it can be afforded and will give the best of the rest a true run for their money.

I could possibly afford that. SO that would take me upto about £2200. Would that be as good as saya canon/nikon similar package?

I know of someone trustworthy selling an E-3 on the official Oly forum here - http://e-group.uk.net/forum/index.php - have a quick search in the for sale area.

It might be worth keeping a look out for a 2nd hand 50-200mm lens too, they do come up from time to time. Though it's better than the 70-300mm lens, you can also pick up one of these for little over £250 now, and that has to be great value because it's a belter of a lens for the money. Most of the shots I place here are taken with it.

You can get the E-3, with 50-200mm for a lot less than the price you mention.

I could possibly afford that. SO that would take me upto about £2200. Would that be as good as saya canon/nikon similar package?

In my opinion, and having used both (although i shoot Nikon D700 now, i do miss the quality of the Oly body / glass combo!), i would say it can more than hold it's own.

Here's some of mine with the Oly E-3

35-100 F2
3015694431_35eb65451e_o.jpg

12-60mm
2784096065_976284d35f_o.jpg

12-60mm
2783908289_ec90517254_o.jpg

50-200mm & 1.4tc
2628834988_1b8718c887_o.jpg

Very Nice!

I do like the idea of an olympus as its not as common as the others imo and i like that. I dont like to follow the herd so to speak.

Just wouldnt want to buy and spend alot on lenses and then regret it due to noise or some other performance detriment

Very Nice!

I do like the idea of an olympus as its not as common as the others imo and i like that. I dont like to follow the herd so to speak.

Just wouldnt want to buy and spend alot on lenses and then regret it due to noise or some other performance detriment

Chris has some great shots and shows what the Oly kit is capable of excellently.

I'd say a few years ago that your fears may have been justified, but seriously, not any more.(y)

I agree the shots are superb. Especially the 12-60 shot B&W.

I am thinking of getting into weddings aswell (probably about 2yrs time). I know everyone says the d700 is the best wedding camera but then its alot of money aswell. Surely the E3 with iso800-1600 and a flashgun would do well at a wedding?

I am thinking of getting into weddings aswell (probably about 2yrs time). I know everyone says the d700 is the best wedding camera but then its alot of money aswell. Surely the E3 with iso800-1600 and a flashgun would do well at a wedding?

The D700 is a class camera, there's no getting away from that, and it fits the needs of a wedding superbly too.

However, make you own mind up re the E-3... I was a second shooter at this one.

p58198792-3.jpg

p144990580-3.jpg

p362533926-3.jpg

p1045239305-4.jpg

Tonemapped wedding car - handheld, hence the slight cam shake.
p538541674-4.jpg

Very Nice!

Thanks cloudhunter.

The investment in Oly glass is a major one as quality costs. However you end up with a fully weatherproof system that can really do battle in any conditions. As for performance - i think Oly are not that far behind and at the rate things are moving it will not be too long until the differences are unoticable.

Chris has some great shots and shows what the Oly kit is capable of excellently.

I'd say a few years ago that your fears may have been justified, but seriously, not any more.(y)

Thnaks John :)

The D700 (IMO) has got to be one of the best wedding tools around due to the flexability of the images and detail retention. I very rarely use flash on my images and shoot at ISO 4000+ with no worries and get similar noise to ISO 1000 - 1250 on the E-3. Thanks not to say i could not get the same images with the Oly, but i'd have to work harder and maybe carry out a little more PP (and i'm too lazy to do that).

However after holding and carressing an EP-1 at weekend ...... :love: :LOL:

The D700 is a class camera, there's no getting away from that, and it fits the needs of a wedding superbly too.

However, make you own mind up re the E-3... I was a second shooter at this one.

Superb images John (y), and you say mine show off what the E-3 can do!!

Those colours!! Are the e3's known for the lovely colours as ive been looking around on the net and almost all the pics people have taken with them have superbly rich colours!

Am i right in saying with teh olympus being a 2x crop factor that if i had my back to the wall with a nikon d3 and an olympus e3 at an air show with identical lenses the aircraft would be closer in the viewfinder on the e3?

Those colours!! Are the e3's known for the lovely colours as ive been looking around on the net and almost all the pics people have taken with them have superbly rich colours!

Yep, the E-3 has lovely rich colours just like those you see. It all started all those years ago with the E-1... might have to get one of those in time. :) By the way... in the shot of the couple (parents of the two girls in next pic) I lowered the saturation slightly!

Am i right in saying with teh olympus being a 2x crop factor that if i had my back to the wall with a nikon d3 and an olympus e3 at an air show with identical lenses the aircraft would be closer in the viewfinder on the e3?

Yep... twice as close. Your field of view on the E-3 is less than that of the D3 which is full frame, thus giving the effect of twice the focal length of the lens seen through the viewfinder. To get the equivalent focal length of the Oly 70-300mm would take a lot of dosh on the D3 as you'd need a 600mm lens - but by heck you would get cracking image quality.

Super Quality Chillimonster. Why did you ever move from Olympus?

I often ask myself that very question :LOL:

Some of it came from the fact that i was shooting a lot of indoor sports (swimming / boxing) for a few clubs and needed the low light performance of the D700. I also fell for the "Grass is greener" that little 'captain paranoia' kept on whispering in my ear.

When i look back at some of my pictures i realise just how good some of the lenses were on the 4/3rd system (in particular the 50mm Macro / 35-100 F2 / 50-200mm / 12-60mm) and have yet to find a lens as good on the Nikon system. There are some that come close, but not on overall sharpness (especially in the corners)

My photography has changed a lot now and i'm no longer shooting for the clubs (long long long story :(), and am only shooting for myself, so i may at some point return to the Oly system - who knows ;)

Back