calling all Olymous owners

Thats a good deal, is the E30 better/worse than the E-620?
Also what are the Olympus lenses like? The twin kit of 14-42 and 40-150mm looks good on any of the bodies.

Olympus lenses are second to none.

The kit lenses are light, sharp across the frame (although not particularly fast as with any kit lens) and give a good range (28mm - 300mm across the two lenses), and small enough to fit in a jacket pocket.

Thats a good deal, is the E30 better/worse than the E-620?
Also what are the Olympus lenses like? The twin kit of 14-42 and 40-150mm looks good on any of the bodies.

i have recently brought the e520 over the e620 all the difference that i can see between the 2 is the flip around screen and the art filters which in my opinion will be better created in Photoshop anyway, having said that if you ar'nt a computer wiz and want to stay clear of RAW and Photoshop then those features might be beneficial to you

i have recently brought the e520 over the e620 all the difference that i can see between the 2 is the flip around screen and the art filters which in my opinion will be better created in Photoshop anyway, having said that if you ar'nt a computer wiz and want to stay clear of RAW and Photoshop then those features might be beneficial to you

Cheers mate, I almost bought the e520 before but I just wondered if the e620 was a major step.

Cheers mate, I almost bought the e520 before but I just wondered if the e620 was a major step.

i think you need to look at all of the review sites out there get a few mags like what digital cameras and other review mags. dont believe there hype they always seem to tell you the nikon and canon are the best we all know that this isent the case! i nearly went to pentax and sony but i used to have an om20 and the lens quallity and the build quality on the oly dslr where so much better for the money

also anouther tip would be to get ya self down to a camera shop and have a play around with some of the oly dslr they have there you never know it might not feel like the right camera for you

I've got the Sony A700 but due to its size I find myself leaving it in the house, I was all for buying the e420 over my A300 initially but didn't like the lack of grip on it, I believe the e520 and e620 are slightly larger is that correct?

the e520 is plus it has IS as well, i have quite large hands and i dont have any trouble using it

Hi,

Before i go and purchase an E3 (or an E30 if they are as good) im slightly worried about the high iso performance. Especially as i may be getting into weddings in a few years.

Could someone please either put my mind at rest that i will definitely be able to get good shots in low light with no flash or better still post up a pic or two of iso1600+ with no flash in a darkish room.

Hi,

Before i go and purchase an E3 (or an E30 if they are as good) im slightly worried about the high iso performance. Especially as i may be getting into weddings in a few years.

Could someone please either put my mind at rest that i will definitely be able to get good shots in low light with no flash or better still post up a pic or two of iso1600+ with no flash in a darkish room.
Take a look at this post in this thread.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1729918&postcount=12

Here's the image again for you... check the details here... it should allay ALL concerns you have...

HANDHELD, indoors, low light, no flash, E3, kit lens 50-150mm, 1/20th, f5.6, ISO3200, yep... ISO3200

p393738416.jpg

Hi,

I thought that was taken with a flashgun

Thats no flash in low light then its stunning.

Do you rate the E30 or the E3 better?

Hi,

I thought that was taken with a flashgun

Thats no flash in low light then its stunning.

Do you rate the E30 or the E3 better?
Nope, no flash, and yes it was Gordon Giltrap (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aeQ8D_IW20), in Petherton, low light handheld with the kit lens. I was asked by Gordon to do his shots for that gig.

Seriously, you can take low light and high ISO shots with the current generation of Oly cameras. Older Oly's suffered badly with noise, but not the E-3 or latest models.

And at a wedding with a flashgun that would allow me to drop the iso from say 3200 to about 1600 or possibly 800 wouldnt it?

... with a flashgun... even lower ISO...

This one with flash at a wedding, ISO200

p144990580-4.jpg

Anyone know id the E30 is as good as the E3 for high iso?

As the benefit of water seals isnt worth the extra £300 to me.

Just seen the E3 and 12-60mm lens for £1500
That should be a brilliant wedding lens shouldnt it as it has f2.8-4 and is equivalent to 24-120??

do you have any of those 2 lenses mate??

would love to see some photos if you have :)
Yep, I have a few from each lens as I've been lucky to have used a 9-18mm for a few days when I lent it from a mate. I'll dig out some shots and post them up later.
Have to say very impressed with these shots, having not looked that much into Olympus you would think that they are awful at higher iso's, but you've certainly proved a lot of the hearsay wrong.
Many thanks. It is true, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, that those who continue to harp on about high ISO noise on all Oly kit are either Canikon fanboys, or ignorant. Fortunately people like this are fast disappearing from TP, and that is a very good thing indeed.

Earlier Oly cameras were dogged with poor high ISO noise, but right now, the current batch can compete with the crop Canon and Nikon bodies, probably having better high ISO performance than many Canon DSLR's in this area too.

Having said that, you still cannot beat ff, especially the D700 and D3; they're awesome.

Anyone know id the E30 is as good as the E3 for high iso?

As the benefit of water seals isnt worth the extra £300 to me.
Don't know the answer to that I'm afraid, as I have never looked at the E30. Perhaps ask over on e-group.
Just seen the E3 and 12-60mm lens for £1500
That should be a brilliant wedding lens shouldnt it as it has f2.8-4 and is equivalent to 24-120??
Yep, the Oly 12-60mm lens is tack sharp and will perform excellently as the general wedding lens you need.

Am I right in thinking that the Olympus is a x2 crop factor v 1.5 on most others?
Also what are the Olympus bundled kit lenses like?
Yep - crop factor on 4/3rds is 2x.

The Olympus kit lenses are by far the best kit lenses supplied with any camera brand. Zuiko glass is class, and that's probably undisputed.

Yep, I have a few from each lens as I've been lucky to have used a 9-18mm for a few days when I lent it from a mate. I'll dig out some shots and post them up later.

Many thanks. It is true, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, that those who continue to harp on about high ISO noise on all Oly kit are either Canikon fanboys, or ignorant. Fortunately people like this are fast disappearing from TP, and that is a very good thing indeed.

Earlier Oly cameras were dogged with poor high ISO noise, but right now, the current batch can compete with the crop Canon and Nikon bodies, probably having better high ISO performance than many Canon DSLR's in this area too.

Having said that, you still cannot beat ff, especially the D700 and D3; they're awesome.

Don't know the answer to that I'm afraid, as I have never looked at the E30. Perhaps ask over on e-group.
Yep, the Oly 12-60mm lens is tack sharp and will perform excellently as the general wedding lens you need.

The Olympus kit lenses are by far the best kit lenses supplied with any camera brand. Zuiko glass is class, and that's probably undisputed.

Your a poet and you dunna know it!:clap:

Im going to go E3 anyway i think. I prefer bigger cameras so will suit me better.

Found the E3 with 12-60mm lens for just over £1400!!:eek:

Cheers mate, I am very tempted to make the switch, the e520 or e620 twin lens kit seems good value.
Aside from Olympus lenses what sort of wide angle could I get for it?

NP.

You could take a look at the Siggy 10-20mm, but the Oly 9-18 and definitely the Oly 11-22mm are better than the siggy. If you are able to afford it, the Oly 7-14mm is an absolute stunner... top of its class in all respects... but very expensive. I lust after one.

NP.

You could take a look at the Siggy 10-20mm, but the Oly 9-18 and definitely the Oly 11-22mm are better than the siggy. If you are able to afford it, the Oly 7-14mm is an absolute stunner... top of its class in all respects... but very expensive. I lust after one.

Yeah price is my main concern, I had the Siggy 10-20 for my A700 and was very impressed so would likely go down that route, would probably just buy the e520/e620/e30 with the 14-42 lens and add the Sigma to the kit, although I'd like to know hoe good the 40-150mm and 25mm pancake lenses are.

Some may think it’s strange but I sold all my Nikon gear and just entered into the world of four thirds. Was going to go for a D700 and 24-70mm but couldn’t justify the cost as it would have been £3k, not to mention the cost of extra lenses. I think it was a holiday in Hong Kong tipped it, carrying all my Nikon gear in a back pack in mid 30 degree heat wasn't nice. Did loads of research and came to the conclusion four thirds was for me. Just ended up getting:

E-620
HLD-5 grip
9-18mm
14-54mm II
70-300mm

I was all set to get the 12-60mm but for the price of that lens I got the 14-54mm and 9-18mm which covers the range I shoot in. Plus the 14-54mm is slightly fast than the 12-60mm. I heard the 12-60mm is tack sharp but I don’t think the 12-60mm is significantly better than the 14-54mm unless anyone can comment?

Hi Willo,

WHat nikon model did you have befor?

How do you rate the images/high iso performance compared to the nikon?

Hi Willo,

WHat nikon model did you have befor?

How do you rate the images/high iso performance compared to the nikon?

Had a D90 (D40 before that), I like the images form the Olympus more, they seem more vibrant for me and I also find them slightly sharper but note I don't have the kit lens (although I heard it's very respectable).

ISO isn't too bad on the Olympus but in all honesty I think the D90 beats it. But it all depends if you shoot in low light alot of the time.

Well everybody raves about the bad iso , my friend has a Sony A200 and i think after iso800 its rubbish. You never hear of anyone saying the iso is bad on that?

Im glad ive heard of someone going from nikon (who are supposed to be one of the best) to olympus. Makes me think ive made the right choice to get an E3

Matt

Some may think it’s strange but I sold all my Nikon gear and just entered into the world of four thirds. Was going to go for a D700 and 24-70mm but couldn’t justify the cost as it would have been £3k, not to mention the cost of extra lenses. I think it was a holiday in Hong Kong tipped it, carrying all my Nikon gear in a back pack in mid 30 degree heat wasn't nice. Did loads of research and came to the conclusion four thirds was for me. Just ended up getting:

E-620
HLD-5 grip
9-18mm
14-54mm II
70-300mm

I was all set to get the 12-60mm but for the price of that lens I got the 14-54mm and 9-18mm which covers the range I shoot in. Plus the 14-54mm is slightly fast than the 12-60mm. I heard the 12-60mm is tack sharp but I don’t think the 12-60mm is significantly better than the 14-54mm unless anyone can comment?

Looks a good setup, I am quite tempted by the E-30 but I think its extra size would put me off, also I think the E620 and a couple of lenses would actually cost less.

Is the 14-54mm II the one bundled with the camera?

Have to say very impressed with these shots, having not looked that much into Olympus you would think that they are awful at higher iso's, but you've certainly proved a lot of the hearsay wrong.

The opposition tend to cling to that myth and who can blame them? It's all they've got left! In every other department Olympus has robbed them bare! :LOL:

Of course they do, just not anywhere near as many who use the D3/D700 or 1DMKIII et al...

Put the Zuiko 300mm F2.8 on an E-3, and you'll get comparable quality images to a 600mm on ff, except it'd be a few tonnes lighter...!! :)

I couldn't be more pleased with my Oly kit. I've got an E3 and just added an E620 for a more travel friendly package. Saving up for the PanaLeica 14-150 to add to it. Nice. I am getting used to the 620 but first impressions are very good. Quite different from the E3. 12-60 is a great lens but the kit lenses are very good too as MM said.

The thing I like most about the 620 is that you rarely need to do anything to the output. The JPEGs are great. I'm still shooting RAW in parallel with the JPEG but am considering stopping as I'm not doing that much in PP.

Would you say the e620 is better/worse/no different from the E3 in terms of image quality?

I don't notice a big difference to be honest, but I'm not a pixel peeper. The size is the main factor for me. It means I can carry a great quality camera without the weight that's usually associated with it.

Back