calling all Olymous owners

Even the old E-1 produced some superb results from 5mp....

p104550272-4.jpg

and finally (for now) one from the 50mm Macro..

p359303348-4.jpg

Chillimonster,

The Olympus system must be good then if your considering dumping the D700 and coming back. Would you go E3? The E3 should be brilliant for aviation with its 2x crop factor.

The E-3 took everything i could throw at it, and even got washed under a tap when it got full of sand, so it'd have to be a match for that whatever i went for and at the moment only the E-3 can withstand that!

They'd be sill not to.

If they brought out a E-3 MK II with a better sensor i'd be all over it like a case of swine flu :D

They'd be sill not to.

If they brought out a E-3 MK II with a better sensor i'd be all over it like a case of swine flu :D

:D Funny.

My wish list would be Olympus E3x , 12mp, 6fps, upto iso3200 no problem, £500 special offer, keep it big (hate small cameras) weatherproof.

If they did that id buy it no questions asked.

Hi Cloudhunter - just the one eye shot from me...

E3, 14-54mm lens
p455411134-4.jpg

... are you convinced yet!?

Hi Cloudhunter - just the one eye shot from me...

E3, 14-54mm lens
p455411134-4.jpg

... are you convinced yet!?

So... what's your decision...? :)

I've loads more I can show you if you wish. You really have nothing to worry about.

So... what's your decision...? :)

I've loads more I can show you if you wish. You really have nothing to worry about.

Are we all getting a double post for free? lol

My decision is.................. Im gonna get the E3!

Im puzzled as to why people say the dynamic range is crap on olympus as i think the clours are the best. Show me some more though aswell as i think the pics are superb!

Cool news, glad we helped you make a decision. Here's a few more for ya!

Our King Charles Cavalier puppy
p770823544-4.jpg

Random seeds...
p951809494-4.jpg

Awesome Oly 7-14mm lens... oh how I lust for one of these...
p168740504-4.jpg

Skomer Puffin
p33848669-5.jpg

Hows that lot...?

They are brilliant. Been reading on google alot over the last 24hrs and virtually all websites are saying the main draw with olympus is their colour and quality/sharpness of the lenses.

These pics back that up perfectly.

I will mainly be using it in daylight so wont need to go beyond iso800 often anyway and doing weddings isnt a certainty and will be in 2yrs time minimum so will probably have an e3x or e4 out by then with more advanced noise control. I think the possible high iso noise disadvantage over the best will be unimportant compared to the lovely sharp, vibrant pictures.

Thanks for all the pics/advice and im off to try and get one this week.(y)

Thank you... and you are most welcome. I hope... no I know... you will love your E3. If I can do anything to help, please shout.

Just jumped ship and sold my 30D....and picked up a E-P1 last night :) Haven't had a chance to play really yet, will go out for a wander tonight if the weather's ok!

Just jumped ship and sold my 30D....and picked up a E-P1 last night :) Haven't had a chance to play really yet, will go out for a wander tonight if the weather's ok!

Looking forward to the user review (compete with pictures of course ;) )

Still learning all the menu options and settings :) Had my first wander round with it this evening. A few snaps :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diffracture/sets/72157621657723433/

So far my view (I'm not an long term photographer......my points of reference are Digital Ixus 75 -> 30D -> E-P1) :

Pros :
It's beautifully built
It's small and light
The images are at least as good as my 30D imo
The AF speed isn't as bad as I had imagined it might be from the reviews, although I'm not going to be shooting any motorsport with it :p

Cons :
The 14-42 lens struggles to focus in low light
The 14-42 takes it beyond 'pocket' size
I keep taking the camera and pressing it to my face and putting big nose smears on the LCD....but I think I'll stop that eventually :p

The lens is the biggest problem at the moment, I will absolutely be buying a fast prime next. Whether I wait for the fabled Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake....or get impatient and buy a Voigtlander 1.4 + adapter.......hmmmm

Still learning all the menu options and settings :) Had my first wander round with it this evening. A few snaps :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diffracture/sets/72157621657723433/

So far my view (I'm not an long term photographer......my points of reference are Digital Ixus 75 -> 30D -> E-P1) :

Pros :
It's beautifully built
It's small and light
The images are at least as good as my 30D imo
The AF speed isn't as bad as I had imagined it might be from the reviews, although I'm not going to be shooting any motorsport with it :p

Cons :
The 14-42 lens struggles to focus in low light
The 14-42 takes it beyond 'pocket' size
I keep taking the camera and pressing it to my face and putting big nose smears on the LCD....but I think I'll stop that eventually :p

The lens is the biggest problem at the moment, I will absolutely be buying a fast prime next. Whether I wait for the fabled Panasonic 20mm F1.7 pancake....or get impatient and buy a Voigtlander 1.4 + adapter.......hmmmm

Very good quality pics in my opinion. I think Olympus are very underrated. Im definitely getting an Olympus E3 but struggling to find anywhere that sells them:bang:

has anyone got one of these Olympus 25mm f2.8 Standard Pancake Lens??

and would you class it as a wide angle??

No, I don't have one of those, though they are quite good. I certainly wouldn't class one as wide angle though... you need to go to the 11-22mm, 9-18mm or awesome 7-14mm for that.

Not a bad lens to be honest, but for that money I'd go without a shadow of a doubt, for either the Oly 11-22mm or the Oly 9-18mm lenses.

Not sure about that Chris. There's certainly a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter, and I know there are various adapters to 4/3 - so I guess yes there is a way to use existing non 4/3 lenses with the micro 4/3 kit. As usual though with adapters - you'll inevitably lose the 'Auto' bits i.e. focus and exposure - so you'll be using the camera in manual.

Not sure about that Chris. There's certainly a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter, and I know there are various adapters to 4/3 - so I guess yes there is a way to use existing non 4/3 lenses with the micro 4/3 kit. As usual though with adapters - you'll inevitably lose the 'Auto' bits i.e. focus and exposure - so you'll be using the camera in manual.

Cheers mate, I was so close to buying an Olympus before I bought into the Sony SLR system, and I find myself not taking my A700 with me.
Is the E-620 fairly compact?

Yes it is.

You can get converters for most lens mounts to micro 4/3 and I believe 4/3 fleabay is your best bet.

The E620 is a full 4/3 camera though, not micro. It is really compact, especially when you consider that the 4/3 lenses are smaller for a given range/speed.

Yes it is.

You can get converters for most lens mounts to micro 4/3 and I believe 4/3 fleabay is your best bet.

The E620 is a full 4/3 camera though, not micro. It is really compact, especially when you consider that the 4/3 lenses are smaller for a given range/speed.

I may consider a change, with a smaller DSLR I would carry it with me all the time, but I do find my A700 a bit bulky to carry always.
Its an expensive item to be sitting in the house!
Whats the difference between the E520 and E620?

Hi Chris

I don't really lust after new Oly bodies to be honest, only Oly lenses!!! As such i am not aware of the main differences between the two models you ask about. Perhaps have a look at the relevant product pages on the Oly site...

Here's the E-520 page

Here's the E-620 page

Hope that helps.

Hi Chris...

I have an E-3, and am very happy with it. Had one for 18 months now.

20090724-bc97xfbs9sgp91e4xx39x76bue.jpg

Doh! Never thought to look, I'm quite tempted to swap my Sony for an Olympus, I really liked the e-420 but would prefer IS.
Really like the look of the e-620 but might plump for the e-520 as it seems very cheap now.

E30 with 14-42 lens is a steal at the moment at Jessops at £699. Will cost you £100 more if you want the body only kit :eek: :LOL:

Back