calling all Olymous owners

wow chillimonster great set of pics! i have just brought an e520 with that lens, i think i better get ou there and start using it lol

I've just sold my D700 and gone back to an E-30 twin lens kit, and am really really impressed with it considering it cost me £699 all in :D

I've just sold my D700 and gone back to an E-30 twin lens kit, and am really really impressed with it considering it cost me £699 all in :D

now thats something you dont hear everyday welcome back to olympus mate:) that's an excellent price mate! i would like to one day up grade to one of those but at the minute im going to invest into some new glass, though its going to take awhile to save up lol

It certainly isnt something you hear every day. It must say something of the quality of the olympus kit if someone who had a d700 wants to come back?

Hi Chillimonster,

Would you mind posting some pics you have taken in iso400, 800 and 1600?

Pretty please,

Matt

Quick and dirty samples HERE.

Same shots at 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600

Give it 20 mins or so to upload them and should be good to go.

They are ORF exported as full-size JPG in lightroom at 95% with no PP.

Also no noise reduction in camera or in lightroom.

Quick and dirty samples HERE.

Same shots at 200 / 400 / 800 / 1600

Give it 20 mins or so to upload them and should be good to go.

They are ORF exported as full-size JPG in lightroom at 95% with no PP.

Also no noise reduction in camera or in lightroom.

Hi,

They look good but they are small pics so hard to tell.

Any chance you could put a 800x600 one on here of iso1600?

I've made it so you can download the original image.

Hover the mouse over the image and you get the option in the left hand side of the image.

just had a recent holiday at black rock sands and took some shots with my olly, im really chuffed with the results:)

3821115017_9e5bf15cbe.jpg

3821930246_e868a8045f.jpg

3821925876_2a30c04516.jpg

3821119961_b8bc6296ac.jpg

There is eveidence that Nikon and Canon are not exactly accurate with their ISO settings. Just as Olympus lenses have a 2 X crop factor, the sensor has a similar effect on images. compared to a full frame sensor, this crop is approximately 3.5 X

So in essence, ISO 400 on an Olympus four thirds sensor gives roughly the same results as ISO 1600 on a Nikon Full frame.

So in essence, ISO 400 on an Olympus four thirds sensor gives roughly the same results as ISO 1600 on a Nikon Full frame.

I'm confused. How does that work? The crop factor of the FOV I understand but don't see how the sensor size affects ISO. Even if the sensor sensitivity to light was changed by it's physical size/pixel density wouldn't they just adjust all their dials/readouts so the ISO was consistent with other makes?

There is eveidence that Nikon and Canon are not exactly accurate with their ISO settings. Just as Olympus lenses have a 2 X crop factor, the sensor has a similar effect on images. compared to a full frame sensor, this crop is approximately 3.5 X

Go on then, enlighten us with more detail ;)

Just as Olympus lenses have a 2 X crop factor, the sensor has a similar effect on images. compared to a full frame sensor, this crop is approximately 3.5 X

Did you work as an assistant with those Victorian photographers and put 10 times as much flash powder when there were 10 cameras set up? :wacky:

Here's the article I read regarding sensor ISO performance....

http://olyflyer.blogspot.com/2009/07/iso-compatibility-between-different.html
I think someone has got confused while comparing apples with pears. That reads like nonsense to me and needs a great deal more explanation before I'd start suggesting that 'in essence, ISO 400 on an Olympus four thirds sensor gives roughly the same results as ISO 1600 on a Nikon Full frame.'

I have not got the digital kit to try - but never needed to alter exposures for pictures taken with a 6x6 or 35mm camera - so my gut reaction is that it is utterly wrong and any difference the writer thinks they are measuring is between the two cameras is more a hardware/software issue related to the base 'ISO' measurement of the equipment not differences in actual exposure because of sensor size...

I'd like to see a full frame dSLR set up with to shoot full and cropped on equivalent lenses and see. I'd not expect to see any difference in exposure.
DOF is a different matter - and that makes sense.

Sounds dubious to me at best...:wacky:

My own experience with 'Olly' cameras was an OM-2n and a few bits of glass, which I bought to replace the Nikon F2AS I was using at the time - one of the advertising hooks was that the kit was much lighter than the competition, which it was.
Beautiful camera and beautiful optics - just not tough enough - I broke three of them before going back to Nikon...:shrug:

Maybe I got the wrong end of a stick, I was quite happy to read something that tried to explain the Oly bashing that goes on regarding ISO noise levels.

Seeing as Nikon, Canon and other manufacturers don't agree on what is a standard level for ISO settings I can't see the reason for reviewers making this aspect of any camera's performance take precedence over all it's other attributes.

I'm fairly new to photography but even I can see that it isn't as clear cut as Nikon and Canon would have us believe.

Anyway, rant over, move on :)

Seeing as Nikon, Canon and other manufacturers don't agree on what is a standard level for ISO settings ....
Don't they?

There is an ISO digital standard (ISO 12232:1998) and while camera manufacturers software designers may not meet it - that is not the same as them not agreeing with it is it?

Hey peeps hope everyone is having a good new year

i have a question, am i right in asumming that the Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm f/2.8 is the same as a nifty fifty that everyone goes on about?

Back