Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys. Finally scraped up enough dosh for some extension tubes :woot:
I've asked on all forums for some, but nobody seems to want to part with theirs, so does anyone a decent place (internet order) where to get them from?

Just going to have a look around, but thought I'd ask you chaps first!

Hey guys. Finally scraped up enough dosh for some extension tubes :woot:
I've asked on all forums for some, but nobody seems to want to part with theirs, so does anyone a decent place (internet order) where to get them from?

Just going to have a look around, but thought I'd ask you chaps first!

got mine from cameraworld in london for around £100.they're the kenko tubes,and work very well....MF or AF,but good light is needed for AF.

The problem seems to be that not only are dealers not stocking them, but they can't seem to get hold of them either, which suggests a supply problem. I've been keeping an eye on Warehouse Express and when I was looking for one they stated End of October for next expected delivery, now I notice it says end of November. Can't help wondering if there's a new version coming out. Better warm up the credit card Stan! :naughty:

thats true, if so ill wait for the newer version.... notice sony style doesnt have it on the website:thinking:
the 70-400 isnt a f2.8 though:crying:

my local sony shop in swansea told me they could get one,but i didn't ask what price...although i suspect it would be the full £1800 or so :eek:

no thanks, i got told i could specially order one, and have it in 10days:shrug: think that was from LCE aswell, ill just need to get my battery grip and spare battery just now!!:D

Which is interesting given that it's in the photo in the banner at the top of the Telephoto lens page.

very interesting, just hope they arent getting rid of it from the range!!:eek:
any ideas to whats going on? or whats happening?:shrug:
hopefully they'll be back in stock soon enough and i can get mine!!:D:LOL:

very interesting, just hope they arent getting rid of it from the range!!:eek:
any ideas to whats going on? or whats happening?:shrug:
hopefully they'll be back in stock soon enough and i can get mine!!:D:LOL:

I'm sure it'll be available again soon.

Guys, I still cannot get my head around the price of the 70-200 G.
I know you get what you pay for etc, but with the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and THIS which costs considerably less.......

I'm just wondering, what made you or makes you want to purchase the Sony model?

Am I being ignorant??!! :bonk:

I know you get what you pay for etc, but with the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and THIS which costs considerably less.......

yes,it is a lot of money..but worth it if you consider the quality of the product compared to the competition.to be honest,i was gonna get the sigma 100-300 F/4,but was told by sigma that it could be months before any reached the UK,same with the 70-200 sigma.the reviews of the tamron were not favourable with average IQ,slow and very noisy AF..hence i did not seriously consider getting one as i may have regretted it.

Heard some very dodgy reviews about the Tamron, especially as far as image quality is concerned. The Sigma, at the time, did not come with HSM for the Sony mount and I've also heard of a few of the Sigmas having to be sent back. I believe there will be an HSM version of the Sigma coming soon for Sony but who knows when and how much. I decided that for quality reasons and the SSM it was worth paying extra for the G lens.

Heard some very dodgy reviews about the Tamron, especially as far as image quality is concerned. The Sigma, at the time, did not come with HSM for the Sony mount and I've also heard of a few of the Sigmas having to be sent back. I believe there will be an HSM version of the Sigma coming soon for Sony but who knows when and how much. I decided that for quality reasons and the SSM it was worth paying extra for the G lens.

well said that man....(y)

as the reasons above, and the link stan sent me(on page 3) about the tamron review. think that says it all, and why theres such a big £ difference! plus id prefer a sony lens.....:LOL:

Hey all. Another new A200 owner here.

Currently got the following:

Sony A200 + kit lens & Minolta 50mm f1.7 (awaiting delivery). I'm looking to use the camera for doing family pics, club and low light indoor photography.

Looking to get a flashgun next with a diffuser.

Anything other bits of kit anyone could recommend that would be fit for the activities above.

Oh, haven't unpacked it yet as I've been on nights (At work now!!). It's sitting at home waiting for me. ;)

Thanks

Mahbub

Hey all. Another new A200 owner here.

Currently got the following:

Sony A200 + kit lens & Minolta 50mm f1.7 (awaiting delivery). I'm looking to use the camera for doing family pics, club and low light indoor photography.

Looking to get a flashgun next with a diffuser.

Anything other bits of kit anyone could recommend that would be fit for the activities above.

Oh, haven't unpacked it yet as I've been on nights (At work now!!). It's sitting at home waiting for me. ;)

Thanks

Mahbub

Don't forget there is a cash back running on a200's and flashes (and other bits). If you bought your a200 after the 1st December it might be eligible.

Sony finally got the details on their website yesterday. Strange how the Sony website does not mention the a300, Jessops have a link to a claim form which has the a300 on it with a £40 CB.

http://www.sony.co.uk/article/id/1224842118544

as the reasons above, and the link stan sent me(on page 3) about the tamron review. think that says it all, and why theres such a big £ difference! plus id prefer a sony lens.....:LOL:

And it's white!! :D

And it's white!! :D

very true:D not "dirty grey":razz:

anyway, was enquiring about the sony lens at warehouse express earlier, delivery due end of month:D
the guy was saying on the phone, sony are replacing the a200, a350, and the a700 soon.......:thinking: whats coming next???:shrug:

very true:D not "dirty grey":razz:

anyway, was enquiring about the sony lens at warehouse express earlier, delivery due end of month:D
the guy was saying on the phone, sony are replacing the a200, a350, and the a700 soon.......:thinking: whats coming next???:shrug:

The A2507900! :D

yes,it is a lot of money..but worth it if you consider the quality of the product compared to the competition.to be honest,i was gonna get the sigma 100-300 F/4,but was told by sigma that it could be months before any reached the UK,same with the 70-200 sigma.the reviews of the tamron were not favourable with average IQ,slow and very noisy AF..hence i did not seriously consider getting one as i may have regretted it.

I just had too much money in my hand to play with at the time :nuts:

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I guess it was a pretty obvious question I asked in the first place!!!

The main reason I did ask was because I'd really like a 70-200mm F2.8 lens of some kind, and basically, I'm never going to have £1000 + to spend.

Never mind. I can dream on!!!!

Thanks for your answers.

Don't forget there is a cash back running on a200's and flashes (and other bits). If you bought your a200 after the 1st December it might be eligible.

Sony finally got the details on their website yesterday. Strange how the Sony website does not mention the a300, Jessops have a link to a claim form which has the a300 on it with a £40 CB.

http://www.sony.co.uk/article/id/1224842118544

Damn just checked the sony site and because I bought my camera in october I cant get the £50 cashback :bang:

Just got my Kenko extension tubes today, and unless I'm doing something wrong, they may not be any good for me :bang:
I should have looked into it a bit more perhaps, but I didn't realize you had to be THAT close to the subject!!!!!

I can't take shots of something a few mm's away from the lens!!!

Any advice?
As usual, the instructions may as well be written in Chinese!!!

Hi guys, been torn between blowing cash on a canon 450d (£371 with kit lens after £50 cashback, and jessops quidco), or getting a sony a200. (was £226 on amazon the other day, £196 after cashback. wish i'd seen that in time!)

Seeing as i've never owned a dslr, i think a sony a200 is probably the best bet, and this is the only forum thread i've found that doesnt keep saying "naw, its crap!". I've read good reviews on the a200, but the lens gets slagged off by purists. Is this something i should worry about? Should i spend the money i'm saving against the canon on a better 18-70mm lens? I would also like a longer zoom, and everyone seems to point at 55-300mm lenses?

COMPLETE SLR virgin here! So go easy on me! (and no, looking at the thread, i will not by buying a "white lens" in the near future! Haha!

Hi guys, been torn between blowing cash on a canon 450d (£371 with kit lens after £50 cashback, and jessops quidco), or getting a sony a200. (was £226 on amazon the other day, £196 after cashback. wish i'd seen that in time!)

Seeing as i've never owned a dslr, i think a sony a200 is probably the best bet, and this is the only forum thread i've found that doesnt keep saying "naw, its crap!". I've read good reviews on the a200, but the lens gets slagged off by purists. Is this something i should worry about? Should i spend the money i'm saving against the canon on a better 18-70mm lens? I would also like a longer zoom, and everyone seems to point at 55-300mm lenses?

COMPLETE SLR virgin here! So go easy on me! (and no, looking at the thread, i will not by buying a "white lens" in the near future! Haha!

Welcome! :wave:

First off, the Sony kit lens isn't that bad and I've heard a lot of bad reports about the Canon equivalent, especially as far as the build quality is concerned. I bought the A100 a couple of years ago and if the A200 is any improvement at all on that (which I'm sure it is) it is a fantastic first DSLR. I will say though that you should go down to the shop and try them out as each camera handles differently and you may find that the Sony doesn't feel right in your hands and the Canon does.

The White lens will call to you eventually, it's inevitable! :LOL:

:agree: with fabs, 100%.

The kit lens certainley isn't crap.
For a kit lens, is darn good actually.

And the a200 is by no means crap.
A fully functional stabilized d-SLR, AND a pretty decent kit lens........
All for a mere £196 :eek::eek::eek:

There's plenty of a200 users here who I'm sure can vouch for it.

:wave: welcome by the way!!

Haha! Cheers for the reply! I'm sure i will be tempted to join the storm trooper lens fan club at some point! But only just starting out! There's a guy on here called Digital_clarity, that i worked with, and he had a 400d. Was impressed with it, and his 50mm lens. But i really don't need to splash the cash until i get really into this malarky! I know the 450d gets doted on!

Trying to find an online manual for the sony now, but they only have it in czech! A language i don't speak!

And yeah, going to nip to the jessops camera world on deansgate this week to get a feel for them all. *** as with everyone else, will be hiding the trip from the missus!

Haha! you're a star! Thank you so much! I can see myself loving this forum!

Went to one of the local Remembrance Day parades this morning. Took the A700 and the 'white beast', couldn't get close to the 'action' at the front - but I did get loads of photos of 'back of head' shots.......

Head.jpg

Here... Can someone briefly explain what extension tubes do?
I'm guessing you stick them on between your camera and lens and it enables you to get closer to your subject, like giving you more zoom?

I really want to shoot macro, but i can't afford another lens right now (and i daren't ask for another money borrowment from ze parents or I'll be smushed!) so someone suggested extension tubes as they're much cheaper... How cheap we talkin here?

And do you have to stick all 3 on (if there's 3 in a set) to be able to use the macro one?

Here... Can someone briefly explain what extension tubes do?
I'm guessing you stick them on between your camera and lens and it enables you to get closer to your subject, like giving you more zoom?

I really want to shoot macro, but i can't afford another lens right now (and i daren't ask for another money borrowment from ze parents or I'll be smushed!) so someone suggested extension tubes as they're much cheaper... How cheap we talkin here?

And do you have to stick all 3 on (if there's 3 in a set) to be able to use the macro one?

Hiya matey.
Far be it from me to explain :nuts:
But yes, you are correct. There's 3 tubes, 12mm, 20mm and 36mm, and they go between the lens and body like you say.
And as you rightly say, they allow closer focusing, thus given you some very close up shots.
I haven't played with mine much, but here's one I made earlier!!!!!

Picture007crop.jpg

Only trouble I've found so far, is that you have to be VERY close to the subject.

I'm using my Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 lens at the moment. I haven't even tried the Sigma 70-300mm lens, so this might be worth a venture. I've no idea what'll happen when I do!!!
I'm hoping I'll be able to get a little bit further back.......

Oh and you can use any combination of the 3, or of course each one separately.
Mine were £95 delivered.

Don't suppose this really helps you much....... :bang:

Thanks Mr Fozz :) and creepy spider... not too excted about getting that close to my subjects like... lol.
But say i put the 36mm on my nifty fifty, then wouldn't it be like having a 86mm lens? So i wouldn't really be that close..?
Hmmm... bit dearer than i'd thought!

Thanks Mr Fozz :) and creepy spider... not too excted about getting that close to my subjects like... lol.
But say i put the 36mm on my nifty fifty, then wouldn't it be like having a 86mm lens? So i wouldn't really be that close..?
Hmmm... bit dearer than i'd thought!

No worries.
Like I said, I'm not the best person to give advice, as I'm still getting my head around them :nuts:

I've just put the 36mm tubes on my lens @ 50mm, and I have to be so close to get a focus, the lens is actually touching the subject :wacky:

Picture.jpg

I'm getting more confused tbh!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back