Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, what lens is this? Is it any good?

DSC07761.jpg

DSC07764.jpg

Cant seem to find a review of it anywhere. :( Would it work on an A300?

membership to the white lens club is in need of membership with only 3 of us at present....me,fabs and JPS..

so come on sonyites....get ya fingers out will ya :LOL:

I gave my white 'un a good working on Saturday with some aircraft at a local air field. It helped that the sun was out and the light was great. Although I was mainly using f7.1 to f11. The best point is that there is NO chromatic aberration whatsoever. This is the best thing about the £1,199 that I spent on the lens. No purple fringing that the standard 75-300 kit lens was rather good (or bad) at displaying.

I gave my white 'un a good working on Saturday with some aircraft at a local air field. It helped that the sun was out and the light was great. Although I was mainly using f7.1 to f11. The best point is that there is NO chromatic aberration whatsoever. This is the best thing about the £1,199 that I spent on the lens. No purple fringing that the stadard 75-300 kit lens was rather good (or bad) at displaying.

Someone told me that you can actually remove the white lens from the camera. I didn't believe them and I'm not taking any chances! :nuts:

Hi all, just finished reading the mammoth part one thread! *phew*

I got an A200 on saturday which is also my first DSLR! Must say I'm really pleased with it, and I've fervently trying to learn more about it, and currently reading "understanding exposure" which is a really good book. As well as the A200 book by Gary Friedman.

After reading everything over the past few days, I've gathered that the beercan and the Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 are good choices... my only main question is what kind of photos they are good for? :)

Welcome and well done you! :clap:

I got an A200 on saturday which is also my first DSLR! Must say I'm really pleased with it, and I've fervently trying to learn more about it, and currently reading "understanding exposure" which is a really good book.

It certainly is.(y)

After reading everything over the past few days, I've gathered that the beercan and the Minolta AF 50mm f/1.7 are good choices... my only main question is what kind of photos they are good for? :)

What sort of pictures do you want to take? I would imagine those lenses would cover most things except maybe wider angles.

I got an A200 on saturday which is also my first DSLR! Must say I'm really pleased with it, and I've fervently trying to learn more about it, and currently reading "understanding exposure" which is a really good book. As well as the A200 book by Gary Friedman.

Have a look at the lens database on Dyxum.com, there are sample images for both lenses.

Personally, I don't like the beercan, it is large and heavy, although you can't fault the quality of a good version. I sold the version I bought and picked up a 100-200 f4.5 instead for about £23, much smaller and only a bit less range at each end.

Out of the 3500 or so pictures I have taken, my 50mm has taken about 20 of them.
I just went along with the 'you must get one of these' comments on a forum when I first got my camera, it was about 6 months ago. You could pick them up cheaper then, paid about £50 for my copy.

Welcome and well done you! :clap:

It certainly is.(y)

What sort of pictures do you want to take? I would imagine those lenses would cover most things except maybe wider angles.

Thanks! I haven't really got anything in particular set in mind, some portraits, group shots, wildlife shots, and some shots around the town. I'm lucky enough to now live in a much more photogenic part of the world than my old stomping ground of east london. :D

Thanks! I haven't really got anything in particular set in mind, some portraits, group shots, wildlife shots, and some shots around the town. I'm lucky enough to now live in a much more photogenic part of the world than my old stomping ground of east london. :D

You may need something a little wider for group shots. Do you have the 18-70 kit lens? That should be enough to get you started. The 50mm will be good for portraits as will the beercan, which will also give you a bit of reach for some wildlife. All in all, they're probably a good starter package for not tto much dosh.

DSC07761.jpg

DSC07764.jpg

From the MC on the barrel I'd hazard a guess that it's an earlier Minolta mount than the A-Mount so it won't fit on the sony I'm afraid.

could be an M42 mount, bearing in mind its a Carl Zeiss Jena. If it is you can buy adapters that will allow you to mount it to your Sony A300. If you buy one with an autoconfirm (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adapter-Mount...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
then whilst it won't autofocus for you, when you turn the focus ring it will tell you in the viewfinder if its in focus or not.
You will also have to set the aperture on the camera in aperture priority or manual mode, then manually turn the aperture ring on the lens to the same value as set on the camera (aka stop down metering). Other than that, provided its an M42 mount, it'll work, and probably give you a damn fine image

From the MC on the barrel I'd hazard a guess that it's an earlier Minolta mount than the A-Mount so it won't fit on the sony I'm afraid.

that could stand for Multi Coated, the M42 super takumars have SMC written on them for super multi coated. And the old minoltas are MD/MF mounts, not MC.
Right I'm off to google

right a very quick google reveals that possibly its not a minolta mount at all:
http://photo.net/sony-minolta-slr-system-forum/008Gxc
I can't seem to find any reference to a CZJ 75-300mm MD/MF mount. So MC stands for Multi Coated.
And this popped up on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....009164&cguid=e606097b11c0a0e202460426fffe4f5b

CZJ only made primes for M42 mounts, so its not an M42 mount like I first thought, unfortunatly. Its more than
likely a Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Olympus mount (old school ones)

membership to the white lens club is in need of membership with only 3 of us at present....me,fabs and JPS..

so come on sonyites....get ya fingers out will ya :LOL:

mabie soon ill decide 2 get one... but £1200 is alot of cash to put on the front of a A200:bonk: do they make a huge difference, as a newbie im not sure of the advantages! i mostly shot sports n motorsports......
stan u been to get shots of the surfcasting yet?

mabie soon ill decide 2 get one... but £1200 is alot of cash to put on the front of a A200:bonk: do they make a huge difference, as a newbie im not sure of the advantages! i mostly shot sports n motorsports......
stan u been to get shots of the surfcasting yet?

yes,it is a lot of cash,but well worth it in my opinion.don't forget(that provided you stick with the sony brand)though,you may wish to upgrade your body at some time in the future,and the 70-200 will still be a fantastic piece of kit...good glass is still good glass in 10 years time...a bit like surfcasting/fishing really if you liken the rod to a body..surfcasters are always changing their rods in the pursuit of perfection/distance,which is pretty much the case with bodies,whereas with lens/reels...a 6500 will still cut it on the beach/field 20 years after it was produced.apart from that,any quality glass will make a noticeable difference to your shots,plus a big pleasure to use with quieter AF,quicker AF...it has made a big difference to my motorsports/moving wildlife shots...

not been to get shots of the boys surfcasting as yet..busy doing other things at present,but hopefully at the end of november (y)

being persuaded here.....:thinking:
i really want one!!!:D but do i, or do i not!! hmmm... decisions!
wheres the cheapest place to get the 70-200 from?

being persuaded here.....:thinking:
i really want one!!!:D but do i, or do i not!! hmmm... decisions!
wheres the cheapest place to get the 70-200 from?

i got mine from cameraworld in london for just under £1200.fabs will tell you where he got his from and what price i'm sure..but it might be worth contacting kerso(member on here)and asking what he can supply for...he quoted me a good price..which i can't remember,but i got mine on impulse of seeing it in the shop :LOL:

could be an M42 mount, bearing in mind its a Carl Zeiss Jena. If it is you can buy adapters that will allow you to mount it to your Sony A300. If you buy one with an autoconfirm (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adapter-Mount...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)
then whilst it won't autofocus for you, when you turn the focus ring it will tell you in the viewfinder if its in focus or not.
You will also have to set the aperture on the camera in aperture priority or manual mode, then manually turn the aperture ring on the lens to the same value as set on the camera (aka stop down metering). Other than that, provided its an M42 mount, it'll work, and probably give you a damn fine image

that could stand for Multi Coated, the M42 super takumars have SMC written on them for super multi coated. And the old minoltas are MD/MF mounts, not MC.
Right I'm off to google

right a very quick google reveals that possibly its not a minolta mount at all:
http://photo.net/sony-minolta-slr-system-forum/008Gxc
I can't seem to find any reference to a CZJ 75-300mm MD/MF mount. So MC stands for Multi Coated.
And this popped up on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....009164&cguid=e606097b11c0a0e202460426fffe4f5b

CZJ only made primes for M42 mounts, so its not an M42 mount like I first thought, unfortunatly. Its more than
likely a Canon, Nikon, Pentax or Olympus mount (old school ones)

cheers for all that info, couldn't find anything listed on it myself. :(

I'll give it a miss then. Been looking to get a 300mm after last weeks outing, hows the SAL 75-300 f/4.5-f/5.6?

cheers marc and stan, been looking on net, how does the tamron 70-200 f2.8 compare? found that for around £500......
the white lens is still lovely ***:love::love:
paul

cheers marc and stan, been looking on net, how does the tamron 70-200 f2.8 compare? found that for around £500......
the white lens is still lovely ***:love::love:
paul

Could never get hold of the Tamron to even look at it. I'm sure it does a capable job, but I'm pretty sure the Sony is much better and has the SSM which means the focus motor is pretty much silent. When I first put it on my camera, I thought I had selected Manual Focus by mistake. It also has internal zoom which means the lens doesn't extend (Not sure about the Tamron)

Are we gettin' to ya yet? :LOL:

ill see if anyone has used the tamron, but yea deffinatly been persueded into the Sony :wacky: the tamron is more in-budget just now ***:LOL:
or would it be best sticking with the 75-300 for now, and save up....:thinking:

ill see if anyone has used the tamron, but yea deffinatly been persueded into the Sony :wacky: the tamron is more in-budget just now ***:LOL:
or would it be best sticking with the 75-300 for now, and save up....:thinking:

To be serious for a second (Yes I can be.........just! :D) I would never advocate anyone spending more than they can afford so I would hang on in there until I had the dosh for the Sony if I were you. Definitely worth the wait. When I first eyeballed it, it was £1800 :eek: It was a full year before I was able to afford it and it dropped to under £1200 so definitely worth it.

PAS...read here..

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Tamron-70-200mm-f28-Di-LD-IF-Macro

to be honest,i did think about getting the tamron as i couldn't get the sigma 100-300 F/4 which i originally intended getting,but after reading a test on it in one of the digital camera magazines,i decided otherwise as it didn't get a good review.

you pays your money.......:shrug:

thanks stan, thats made up my mind on that one then!! save for the sony it is!!:D thanks for the help guys!! ill let u know when i go for the big spend:LOL:
Paul

sooner rather than later eh paul...we need more members to compete with the canon(slightly dirty grey)white lens club ;) :LOL::LOL::LOL:

[Snob]But there are so many of those dirty grey things around. hardly exclusive is it?[/Snob] :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back