Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And they are here on my desk now :D

The Minoltalens feels really nice. Focus feels really smooth. There is a bit of dust on the lens but that will clean off. cant wait to try it out.

The Tamron lens feels ok although the Movement from 55-200 doesnt feel as smooth but I guess this is because its plastic.

Everyone seems to be after the 50mm Minolta lens, is there a new alternative?

there is a rumour about a new 1.8.
However, I would say only get 1 if you need 1 as I had 1 in my bag for something like 10 years without using it once ...
Whilst I may be in the minority I know that I'm not alone.
In short analyse what you need & buy what you need accordingly not what other people tell you to buy without knowing your intende usage etc..

there is a rumour about a new 1.8.
However, I would say only get 1 if you need 1 as I had 1 in my bag for something like 10 years without using it once ...
Whilst I may be in the minority I know that I'm not alone.
In short analyse what you need & buy what you need accordingly not what other people tell you to buy without knowing your intende usage etc..

yep,good advice heidfirst....i got the 50mm F/1.7 minolta because i was advised too.i've only used it a few times in 18 months,but won't get rid as it's a belting lens that i only paid £40 for...bargain! :D

I think that's one of the good things about the 50mm. It doesn't cost that much and if you don't like it you can always sell it on and get most of your money back (Or the way the Minolta is going, even make a profit!)

I think that's one of the good things about the 50mm. It doesn't cost that much and if you don't like it you can always sell it on and get most of your money back (Or the way the Minolta is going, even make a profit!)

... that's what I did ... 4 times :) tried all the versions (and duplicates) from a new Sony f1.4 to Minolta f1.7 but they' were all soft until stopped down a bit which, to me, defeats the purpose of a fast lens. Might as well get a f2.8 macro version which is sharp wide open.

... that's what I did ... 4 times :) tried all the versions (and duplicates) from a new Sony f1.4 to Minolta f1.7 but they' were all soft until stopped down a bit which, to me, defeats the purpose of a fast lens. Might as well get a f2.8 macro version which is sharp wide open.

I find the f1.4 excellent for low light street photography and have often used it wide open. Guess it doesn't really have to be super sharp for that although it does me fine.

I guess that was done to better illustrate the limited depth of field of a lens at f1.4

What a lovely day it is today and I'm on here :D

I do far more talking about photography then going out and doing it!
Must get out more :LOL:

:woot::woot::woot:

What a lovely day it is today and I'm on here :D

I do far more talking about photography then going out and doing it!
Must get out more :LOL:

:woot::woot::woot:

Same here, not been out for a few months now due to one thing and another.

You two and me three! Going out to hopefully photograph some doggies in the snow this afternoon though. (y)

your always out togging marc...last sunday and monday that i can think of:p

me,i got out yesterday,and was thinking of going today....but i think i'll watch the rugby now,and again tomorrow :woot:c'mon you wales :woot: :LOL:

Monday? :shrug:

Wales? They play rugby then? :thinking: :D

Whats next on everyones list of things to buy?

Mines a studio lighting kit. :woot:

I bought one of those £299 kits from Jessops last year. Ok, it isn't the best - hence the low price - but it is a start. Having never used a lighting set before, it took me a bit of time to get used to the settings that I needed on the A700 to get the right exposure.

My 'want' list includes a longer lens, 400mm or more and one that's good quality. Although I may have to save for this for a while yet.

I bought one of those £299 kits from Jessops last year. Ok, it isn't the best - hence the low price - but it is a start. Having never used a lighting set before, it took me a bit of time to get used to the settings that I needed on the A700 to get the right exposure.

My 'want' list includes a longer lens, 400mm or more and one that's good quality. Although I may have to save for this for a while yet.

cool thats all I want a cheap kit to start me off want one with background stands and background works out cheaper and easier for setting up round other peoples houses.

Here's a tip, if you get a lighting set, also make sure you pack an extension lead in your bag if you take the kit out to someone's house for a shoot. You need to make sure that you have power.... The lights will flash a few times if they've been charged, but you can't rely on them to last very long so take a long power lead with you.

or was it tuesday you went to the zoo with yv :thinking:

mmmmmmmmmm........nearly half time and england are winning quite comfortably.wales got scotland tomorrow,england next week....and i've got a ticket for the final welsh game against ireland at cardiff :woot: :woot: :woot:

Actually it was Wednesday we went to the zoo. ;)

As for lighting, Yvonne got one of those Lencarta sets from Ebay for £380 and it looks like a fantastic set of kit for that money.

The next thing i`ll be buying is a portrait grip :D

And I`m going out next week to Lake district to take photos although the missus thinks its a romantic valentines weekend :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back