Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC00284.jpg

Beercan lens on left, A700 with 16-105 on right

Did anyone else get one of these bags and manage to fit a camera in it like me? :D

just got my "mini beercan"

the 35-70mm f4
seems like utterly brilliant lens !!!!
the zoom range is rubbish for all day, but excellent for portraitists like me.
just WOW ! will go out and have some pics.

whos an eejit? yup, me! panicking that i didnt' have a spare battery for wedding tomorrow but just realised the battery for my a200 is the same for my a850.

Can anyone helpme out with some settings for my a200 please!
Im going to an airshow this Sun and cant seem to get my camera set up using settings from other treads on here.:bang: What I really need is an idiots guide to setting it up for an airshow!
All help greatly appreciated! (y)

Im going to an airshow this Sun and cant seem to get my camera set up using settings from other treads on here.:bang: What I really need is an idiots guide to setting it up for an airshow!

Press the "Fn" button

Set Autofocus mode to AF-C
Set AF Area to Wide

On top dial:

Set Drive Mode to Continous Adv.

For propeller blur, shoot "S" on the dial and set shutter around 1/320
For jets, shoot "A" mode, as far wide open as it'll go

The A200 doesn't really have many settings, so can't think of anything else.

if planes in the sky...use continuous AF and pan with them as you shoot,do not stop panning whilst depressing the shutter button.

for jets..set your ISO to achieve a decent enough shutter speed ie;1/1000th sec,and try an aperture like F/5 etc..

for propeller planes,use a shutter speed of around 1/125th-1/250th to induce prop blur.

for shots on the ground,just a shutter speed equal to your focal length..eg,70mm focal length = 170th sec or more

also turn off Super Steady Shot whilst panning as it confuses it..

hope this helps (y)

Planes in the sky, its a sea front airshow, ill be using my Tamron 28-300 lens and am hoping to get some close ups of planes and catch the red arrows in action!

Might also want to dial in some exposure compensation (+1, maybe more) if you are shooting planes against a bright sky, otherwise you might end up with lots of nice silhouettes.:)

I'm going to take my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 with 1.4x Kenko TC to see how it performs at Duxford (this combo was WAY better than the crappy Sigma 100-300 f/4 we got a refund on two weeks back). Curious how this combo will be for fast moving stuff..

I'm going to take my Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 with 1.4x Kenko TC to see how it performs at Duxford (this combo was WAY better than the crappy Sigma 100-300 f/4 we got a refund on two weeks back). Curious how this combo will be for fast moving stuff..

taking my 70-200 G and sony 1.4 TC with me today to a local bay festival..hopefully there'll be a surf running for some surfing action shots.i've been very happy with this combo when i've previously used it,although surfing can't be classed as fast moving stuff,can it :LOL:

taking my 70-200 G and sony 1.4 TC with me today to a local bay festival..hopefully there'll be a surf running for some surfing action shots.i've been very happy with this combo when i've previously used it,although surfing can't be classed as fast moving stuff,can it :LOL:

How it is with a 1.4x TC wide open (280mm f/4) vs the 70-400 SSM at around the same focal distance? (don't need crops or anything just a "best guess") would be great :)

How it is with a 1.4x TC wide open (280mm f/4) vs the 70-400 SSM at around the same focal distance? (don't need crops or anything just a "best guess") would be great :)

as best i can remember,IQ wise...there's nothing in it andy,and i'm impressed to be honest..and one of the reasons i sold the 70-400.if i remember correctly,the 70-200 + 1.4TC[F4] @280 has a wider min aperture that the 70-400 has at the same focal length.

having said that,i do sometimes miss that extra 120mm

as best i can remember,IQ wise...there's nothing in it andy,and i'm impressed to be honest..and one of the reasons i sold the 70-400.if i remember correctly,the 70-200 + 1.4TC[F4] @280 has a wider min aperture that the 70-400 has at the same focal length.

having said that,i do sometimes miss that extra 120mm

Thanks - tricky one for me! I have a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II but I just don't seem to use my Nikon gear... I suppose I really should just use that rather than picking up a 70-200 SSM... I can't do 400mm in Nikon either.

Hi guys would anyone be interested in swapping my mint stock 18-70 Sony alpha? Either straight swap or with some cash as well.......... Would come in handy if anyone was selling a body perhaps?
Let me know!(y)

Hi guys would anyone be interested in swapping my mint stock 18-70 Sony alpha? Either straight swap or with some cash as well.......... Would come in handy if anyone was selling a body perhaps?
Let me know!(y)

i got an 18-55 if your interested

Last edited:
ye sorry sony kit, what price you lookin for?

Sorry should hae made it clear, Im looking to swap it for a better lens with a little extra if needs be!

I did a little post on changing focus screens on the A900 a month or so back (http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=2742980&postcount=491)

For the last week, I've trialed the "M" type screen for manual focus lenses (I'm a big fan of MF lenses, and I use adapted Nikon lens, Pentax M42 and Tamron Adaptall) - I have to say after a week, I replaced the "M" type with the "L" again.

The "M" type definitely helps with manual focus but its not a massive improvement. Downsides are that the viewfinder is dimmer, even with f/2.8 lenses. Overall I don't think the "M" screen is really worth installing vs the "L" screen. If you are still on the stock "G" screen, then the "L" type screen is definitely recommended, but I have reservations on the "M"

i`m thinking of changing fromm an eos 400d to possibly an a550, any advice i would be very greatfull.

thanks
ian

why to a550 ? somebody offered you a sweet deal ? the iso is probably much, much better in sony. other than that - both good cameras.

just banding around a few ideas thats all, warehouse express has a good package on thats all. and i`ve got a 70-200f4l sat in my camera bag doing not much. sony seem to have a good following as well.

thanks for your reply`s, i`m gonna have to have a look at what i want from my photography and take it from there.

Out of touch here but is anyone looking forward to the SLT cameras? They look really interesting, not sure if the A55 will be better than the A700 image wise but its certainly got some features I like including the 100% with changes you can see as you make them. Not having 100% viewfinder really annoys me when I'm trying to frame a landscape and then I check the images and a tree branch has made its way in....and unfortunately I cant afford an A900 and the glass to go with it.

I'm also thinking no mirror is going to produce sharper images than obviously using the A700 in the same manner without MLU.

Not too fussed about geotagging and all that.

Unfortunately I have read reports of noise in low light and its not great at not blowing high lights.

Looks bloody good value for money, I just hope it may be a viable A700 replacement - if not I'll have to wait for the prosumer version which hopefully comes along later at circa 1k I'd guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back