Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

Ok here we go 5 reasons not to buy a77 ! bear this in mind came from a200, then a450,both packed up on me
lens minolta 85mm g lens tokina 11-16mm 2.8 minolta 50 mm Sony 35mm 1.8 plus normal Sony stuff

Ok here we go 5 reasons not to buy a77 ! bear this in mind came from a200, then a450,both packed up on me
lens minolta 85mm g lens tokina 11-16mm 2.8 minolta 50 mm Sony 35mm 1.8 plus normal Sony stuff

What are the 5 reasons? :shrug:

i wont someone to tell me if there are 5 reasons why i shouldn't by one

That's a little difficult without any specifics on what, when and how you shoot.

Since you have only had the lower-end A200/A450, I can only think of price as a negative. Everything else will be light-years ahead of what you have used, you will be astounded at the difference in ergonomics and speed.

Last edited:
Ok thanks I just hope I can tell a difference , also I'm having trouble finding one to look at , also is the digital rev anygood or is it something that should be avoided

i wont someone to tell me if there are 5 reasons why i shouldn't by one

The only reason I can think of is that you have a Minolta 85 f/1.4 G, which is a lens which deserves to be used is all it's full frame glory on an A900 (though I suspect it will also produce superb images on an A77...) :D

Ok thanks I just hope I can tell a difference , also I'm having trouble finding one to look at , also is the digital rev anygood or is it something that should be avoided

We'd all be using the A37 if there wasn't a difference. :D

Digital Rev gets good feedback, not heard of any issues with them.

*I assume you know they are Hong Kong based.

Last edited:
eddiewood said:

Lol yes I get it lol no I didn't know they was in Hong Kong., were would you suggest a safe place to purchase kerso on hete says he can get me one for 849 I think body only

quick mention that Jessops have a pile of Sony stuff in Clearance atm.
Best buys look like Nex-5N (5R coming shortly) dual lens kits @ just over £400 & A77+16-50 for £1100 (if these are also eligible for Sony £100 cashback that would be ~£1000 net).

Usually these are ex-demo but Jessops will give you 12 months warranty.
Full descriptions given of individual items but you are also covered by distance Selling Act so can return.

chrism_scotland said:
Trust this to happen 2 days after I buy my A77 from them! Argh!!!!

Did you buy it from their website by any chance? I'm thinking returns here. ;-)

quick mention that Jessops have a pile of Sony stuff in Clearance atm.
Best buys look like Nex-5N (5R coming shortly) dual lens kits @ just over £400 & A77+16-50 for £1100 (if these are also eligible for Sony £100 cashback that would be ~£1000 net).

Usually these are ex-demo but Jessops will give you 12 months warranty.
Full descriptions given of individual items but you are also covered by distance Selling Act so can return.
That's actually sorely tempting, looking to finally upgrade from my A300 and was looking at the likes of DigitalRev/Panamoz but the A77 kit from Jessops clearance might be a decent alternative.. does anyone know for sure if these would be eligible for the cashback?

Did you buy it from their website by any chance? I'm thinking returns here. ;-)

Nah in store, to be honest I could have had an ex display and specifically asked them to order in a new one, even with the price difference I'd still rather have brand new!

Ok after much thought I'm thinking sony a 580 or Sony 77 , with landscape shots in mind which do you think or is it a no brainer

I think that you'll struggle to find a new A580.
For landscape where you probably aren't shooting at high ISO & where extra detail is welcome then the 24MP sensor should win imo (plus other SLT things like electronic first curtain may help).
If you want to save a few ££s you could consider an A65?

heidfirst said:
I think that you'll struggle to find a new A580.
For landscape where you probably aren't shooting at high ISO & where extra detail is welcome then the 24MP sensor should win imo (plus other SLT things like electronic first curtain may help).
If you want to save a few ££s you could consider an A65?

Great stuff thanks for that everywhere I look its is all about the fast shutterspeed so its nice to have a view about the cam thanks ill throw out the 580 then thanks

I got the grip for my OM-D E-M5 from Digital Rev and it came in only four days and that was from Hong Kong.:clap: Often you don't get things that quick from UK based suppliers. :shrug:

Sandiman said:
I got the grip for my OM-D E-M5 from Digital Rev and it came in only four days and that was from Hong Kong.:clap: Often you don't get things that quick from UK based suppliers. :shrug:

I'm worried about the warranty issue regarding digital rev ,

Ok well having sold of my broken ! and my fully working ! Sony a450 s I have a 580 and I'm realy pleased I'm really happy , ok I have now devoloped the bug again which is good , I have a tokina 11-16 and love it ,I also have got minolta af 85mm f1.4 g lens,which is amazing a minolta 50 f1.7 ,Sony 35mmf1.8 and a minolta which are about the same ,
So I'm looking to bridge the gaps , I do like primes but I do need a decent zoom for when the tokina it to wide. I have looked at all the review sites but was just wanting some real input what's worth paying for and what's not really , I just got shut of Sony18-55 kit lens some looking for something else has anyone git any suggestions
Thanks

Last edited:
There's nothing that massively wrong with the kit 18-55. The 16-50 f2.8 that is the kit lens for the A77 is probably reasonable. The tamron 17-50 is supposed to be alright but I don't know how it compares to the 16-50 or the el cheapo kit lens.

Whatever comes with the upcoming A99 FF body would probably also be decent too.

Ok well having sold of my broken ! and my fully working ! Sony a450 s I have a 580 and I'm realy pleased I'm really happy , ok I have now devoloped the bug again which is good , I have a tokina 11-16 and love it ,I also have got minolta af 85mm f1.4 g lens,which is amazing a minolta 50 f1.7 ,Sony 35mmf1.8 and a minolta which are about the same ,
So I'm looking to bridge the gaps , I do like primes but I do need a decent zoom for when the tokina it to wide. I have looked at all the review sites but was just wanting some real input what's worth paying for and what's not really , I just got shut of Sony18-55 kit lens some looking for something else has anyone git any suggestions
Thanks

Easy. The Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, I had it, great lens. Cheap second-hand too.

If you aren't bothered about aperture and want range, then you have many more options. The Sigma 17-70mm is about the same as the Tamron IQ wise. Then you have stuff like the Sony 16-105mm which was the A700 high end kit lens. Of course there is the CZ 16-80mm to consider, but I'd have the Sony 16-50mm over the CZ and indeed I did!

The Sony 16-50mm is slightly sharper wide open across all focal lengths than the Tamron 17-50mm, but I thought not worth the cost difference on sharpness alone. I wanted the SSM for video and am very happy that I chose it over the CZ.

There's nothing that massively wrong with the kit 18-55. The 16-50 f2.8 that is the kit lens for the A77 is probably reasonable. The tamron 17-50 is supposed to be alright but I don't know how it compares to the 16-50 or the el cheapo kit lens.

Whatever comes with the upcoming A99 FF body would probably also be decent too.

The A99 will be body only, I think that was the case with the A900.

The a850 was available bundled with the 28-75/2.8 IIRC.

Yup, it was their stab at a budget FF and came with a kit lens, the A900 didn't. There aren't any rumours about the A99 coming as a kit and there are no rumours of a new lens in the 24-xx range to be sold separately either. :shake:

So what do we all think of the new a99?

a99_5.jpg

a99_8.jpg

a99_10.jpg

I think we need to wait for the sample images. :)

High ISO appears to be the "in-thing" these days, it'll live or die by that.

Very much the same look as the 77 unsurprisingly, but at least it looks like they've recessed that bloody video button a little deeper !!

stan the man said:
me want :love::love::love:

i see they have changed the hot shoe though,so my flash gun won't fit on them :|

If the rumours are correct it'll come with an adapter for using existing flash guns. No doubt that adapter will cost £100+ when it, inevitably, gets lost or broken.

I'm not keen on the change of shoe, but it won't stop me getting one as soon as they land in this country. Using my a57 alongside my a850 has convinced me that SLT's (or more precisely, EVF's) are the way forward.

Any thoughts on the rumoured RX1 FF compact?

It's too much of a niche camera to justify the price, for me, but it's interesting all the same.

Can't wait to see what they announce tomorrow.

The pics look great except I'd rather they'd have taken the same shot at 6400 as the others. Oh and the original photograph would have been the icing on the cake. But hopefully not long before we find out concrete details.

Back