Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

I am thinking of going to a mirrorless Sony at the end of the year when I have a budget, I was wondering what sort of lens options there are to keep costs down. I'll be moving from an old bridge camera, so was considering looking for something like an 18-200 or longer. I want to keep the option for zooming, but also have a usable short FL without breaking the bank.

Yes there is tamron 18-200mm and a Sony 18-200mm both f/3.5-6.3. if you want a faster lens there's Sony 18-105mm f/4. (On FF there is 24-240mm)

If you are willing to adapt you could also consider sigma 18-200mm 'C' or sigma 18-300mm 'C' on sigma MC11 adapter which will give you all the native AF options.

I am assuming he is referring to APS-C because I don't know any FF superzoom that has a 18mm UWA start!

Last edited:
I'm guessing there aren't many "budget" lenses on the sony e mount from the searching I've done.

If you go to a sellers site for example Wex Photographic you may be able to do a search and list the lenses from low to higher cost. I've just done that and found Sigma lenses starting at £149 and Sony lenses starting at £199.

Wex Photo...

http://www.wexphotographic.com/sony...ort=FSM_Rational_Price&esp_category_order=asc

If you use that link go to the "Relevance" box and select "price low to high."

Last edited:
Would it be cheaper to go for a 55-200mm and a go for a prime for wider angles?
Dunno. I'm not an A6xxx user but maybe you can check out the usual lens sellers, evil bay and the for sale section here.

Looking now as a guide, an a6300 with 18-50mm and 55-200mm lenses for £610 is a pretty damn good starting point, and not much more than the prices I was seeing for the a6000.

For the A6000.

Get one with the kit lens 16050mm. You have a usable wide lens right there. Soft at the edges but you can crop in a bit.

30mm Macro lens.£200 new. £150 second hand

50mm 1.8. Around £200 new. Bargains to be had there. Great lens.

55-210. Around the £200 mark new. Bargains again to be had second hand. Sharp enough right in the middle.

Sigma 60mm f2.8 and Sigma 19mm f2.8. Both £150 new, both excellent lenses.

All of this will fit in a small bag if you want and is light.

I've found I have everything I need there. My poor Canon 7D doesn't get to much action these days. I can't part with it though. It's good for a work out when carrying the tank on it (70-300) :)

Thank you for the recommendations. I think I'll start with the 18-50 and the 55-200 and see which I like using the most and what FL I use the most before I start buying prime lenses. Don't want to blow a load of money and have stuff sitting in the cupboard.

I think it's worth thinking about the light you'll be shooting in and the subject you'll be shooting too as the "kit" type lenses tend to have apertures in the f3.5-5.6 to 6.3 range and if you're trying to keep the shutter speed up the ISO can soon rise too. I've faced the same issue with DSLR's and MFT too as the cheaper zooms may need stopping down a bit and then up goes the ISO and the lens can be almost unusable once the lighting is less than good.

For good light shooting and low light shooting when the shutter and ISO settings aren't an issue the kit zoom aperture range may be perfectly ok :D

Could someone recommend an L bracket for the A6300 not looking to spend a fortune on one though.

I bought one from ebay for my A6000 and it fitted perfectly, bought one from amazon before that and had to send it straight back.

All Sony e-mount lenses have AF motors. 3rd party AF e-mount lenses also have AF motors (eg: Sigma, Zeiss batis, zeiss touit, tamron, samyang)
3rd party MF lenses of course don't but some of them have electronic communication i.e. chipped (eg: zeiss loxia, voigtlander)

Some people use teleside converter (1.7x) with the Sony 55-210mm. People report varying degree of success but generally speaking TC on an average lens will only result in so-so results.

Sony's own 1.4x and 2x TC only works with expensive GM lenses (70-200mm/2.8 and 100-400mm)

There are no 3rd party TCs from makers like Kenko.

Used to own nex5n. What's up?

I still have one atm but it doesn't get much use since the A7R3 arrived :)

I do use my NEX6R a lot for day trips to London, other city breaks or places were a big dirty DSLR will be noticed to easily .
Over the years I have tried to find a FDA-EV1S Electronic Viewfinder as the screen is difficult to see in bright sunlight.

I have a Sigma MC-11 adapter to mount sigma 17-70 DC OS HSM Contempoary and canon 70-300L f4 glass, plus Sony native e mount glass 50mm f1.8 OSS, 18-55 OS, 55-210 OSS

Also if there are any tips to get more out use out of the NEX5R ?

would someone mind explaining the Sony lens abbreviations for someone who’s thinking of switching over. I’m familiar with the canon lineup, L series etc. What are the Sony equivalents?

would someone mind explaining the Sony lens abbreviations for someone who’s thinking of switching over. I’m familiar with the canon lineup, L series etc. What are the Sony equivalents?
G, Zeiss and GM are Sony's premium quality lenses. That is not to say thier non--preminum lenses are bad. In fact only one bad FE lens i.e. FE50/1.8 and only because of the rubbish AF.

I've just ordered a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 ART to compliment my 16-50 kit lens on my A6000.
I would like to source something to use as a general lens for holidays etc.
I was looking at the Sony 18-105 and 18-135 and have read all the reviews.
Before I pull the trigger on the (rather expensive) 18-135, does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative? 18-200 maybe?
(I am not keen on the 55-210).

Many thanks,
Steve

I've just ordered a Sigma 30mm f/2.8 ART to compliment my 16-50 kit lens on my A6000.
I would like to source something to use as a general lens for holidays etc.
I was looking at the Sony 18-105 and 18-135 and have read all the reviews.
Before I pull the trigger on the (rather expensive) 18-135, does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative? 18-200 maybe?
(I am not keen on the 55-210).

Many thanks,
Steve
I once took a sigma 19/30/60 combo on my travels and the iq was awesome!

Hi, newbie here, coming back to taking pics after a long lay off
I have a A500 body, which I bought 5? Years ago used, when the Cf card slot “died” in my Minolta 5D and made it useless :(
I use my old dynamo autofocus lenses which are fine.

Does anyone know if Sony ever update(d) the firmware on the alpha line?

Hi, newbie here, coming back to taking pics after a long lay off
I have a A500 body, which I bought 5? Years ago used, when the Cf card slot “died” in my Minolta 5D and made it useless :(
I use my old dynamo autofocus lenses which are fine.

Does anyone know if Sony ever update(d) the firmware on the alpha line?

Hi Steve, you can check to see whether there is an update for your camera model here: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/digital-cameras-interchangeable-lens-cameras

Hi, Advice please, don't no what I have changed but for some reason when I place options under my menu settings on my A9 after I turn the camera off and back on they are gone. Russ.

Thanks but camera used most days and batteries always charged, cannot see it being internal battery as camera only just over year old from new. Russ.

Seems strange, I've not even got around to using the menu section yet but when I get a chance I'll see if mine is ok. I suppose there might be a chance of a duff internal battery. Have you got the latest firmware on it as well? Could be worth trying to reload firmware or something?

EDIT: I just tried mine and it saves fine and puts the new setting on a separate page within this menu. Does yours create this new page?

Last edited:
Maybe try the thread linked below as this thread is pretty redundant now (y)

Maybe try the thread linked below as this thread is pretty redundant now (y)

OK thanks for that. Problem now sorted, did a factory reboot on the camera. Russ.

Back