Calling all Sony Alpha users! (Part 5)

I agree, if UK stock were around £1700 mark Id be more interested. Ring and find out if you can qualify as its only a day or take it back to the retailer and ask them to sell it to you again.

I've been saving for a FF camera for most of the year now. My heart was set on the A99 since I already have Sony lenses and flashes and had been busy lapping up every morsel of information as it leaked out.

The US pricing seemed OK, little higher than I'd personally like but then it saved hassle of switching systems and the cost of selling all your lenses and rebuying new ones.

But the £2400 price kills it stone dead for me. At £1700 it's a no-brainer. I'd have had it. But as it is I'm now a D700 owner and happy with it. Yes it's an older camera but it's the right combination of everything for weddings. The A77 I have is now a backup/personal use camera.

Just bought a 30mm macro finally after dithering over that and the sigma 1.4 s/h. Managed to be a chump and buy it on the 16th not the 17th when the cash back started. Sigh.
send back under Distance Selling Act & then rebuy .

I can't get the viewfinder to work on my new a77. :(

Any tips? Am I missing something obvious?

The sensor appears to do nothing. Camera works and I can see/take photos on screen, but not through viewfinder.

Is it setup to automatically switch display? If not you need to press the button on the top of the A77 body.

Sneeks said:
Is it setup to automatically switch display? If not you need to press the button on the top of the A77 body.

Tried on auto and pressing is manually. It's pitch black in the viewfinder. Done reset as well. Nothing. Off back to seller it goes!

New camera came this morning. Worked fine straight out the box.

I'm wondering if the faulty one was a return. The battery was fully charged out the box and the charger cable lead wasn't cable tied as neatly as this new one (which had no battery charge).

Ah well, happy ending for me. Now to get out and use it! :)

My a99 arrived yesterday. I can't get out for a proper test at the moment (sciatica) but I've been having a blast pottering around the house with it.

I've one or two very minor quibbles with it so far, but overall, my initial impression is (appropriately) 99% positive. This is a huge advance on my a850. Better in every respect, although a cynic would say it should be, considering the time it took to get it to market. :)

Happy to attempt to answer any questions that folks might have.

gadgeteer said:
Hi John

How are you finding ISO performance?

Can't say I've studied it in any detail, yet. First impressions are that it's at least a stop better than my a850 for in-camera jpgs. On the a850 I wouldnt generally shoot over 1600 (2000 for b&w). On the a99 I'm thinking 4000 looks good enough (at a push) for colour and b&w could be pushed up to 8000 or thereabouts. Take that with a pinch of salt though. I'm comparing by looking at each cameras LCD until my boy goes back to school (and gives me my PC back!).

Does anyone hear wear glasses and use an A57? Any issues? I wear glasses and the A35 is fine but the A35 evf seems to 'stick out' a bit further than the A35.

applemint said:
Does anyone hear wear glasses and use an A57? Any issues? I wear glasses and the A35 is fine but the A35 evf seems to 'stick out' a bit further than the A35.

I don't wear glasses (well I do but not for photography) but the a57 does have a menu option to change the VF magnification. I believe that's to make it easier for glasses wearers.

Page 6 :nono:
Just ordered the Nex 6 twin lens kit from Dig Rev, can't wait for it to arrive to see how it performs with legacy lenses, anyone else using one.

I love my primes but mobility issues make them problematic so would be looking at a zoom to replace the 30mm & 50mm primes. I'd like a reasonably fast constant aperture and was look at the 16-50mm f2.8 but haven't seen it mentioned. Anyone any experience of it, is it decent?

No experience of the Sony fast zoom, but the Tamron one is almost half the price and I doubt that the Sony one is twice as good. :D One of the photo mags was not too keen on the Tamron, but most of the people on here and on Flickr who own it seem happy with it.

Hi Marc, I've not used the Sony but the images I've seen from it seem to be very nice, it's definitely on my shopping list, something else in it's favour is it's weatherproof

Cheers chaps amazon have it at £499 at the moment so it's in my wish list

I thought there were build quality issues with the tamron? Some seem to complain of focussing going off and a few other niggles. I'd get sony's. it's on my wish list :)

fabs said:
Cheers chaps amazon have it at £499 at the moment so it's in my wish list

Camera World have had them from split a77 kits (plain box) for £420. It might be worth a look to see if they still have some.

I borrowed one for a few hours. Good lens. Weather sealed. SSM focussing. About as sharp as the CZ 16-80, but faster, and cheaper.

The only negative I've heard are a few instances of poor build (misaligned focal plane). I've seen a few complaints of this but everyone seems to have got good copies 2nd time around. I'd be wary of buying a grey one, for that reason.

I thought there were build quality issues with the tamron? Some seem to complain of focussing going off and a few other niggles. I'd get sony's. it's on my wish list :)

I have one. It packed up on me one day quite suddenly. Never dropped it or abused it in any way. But when I shook it, it sounded like something inside was rattling. It was about a week before it's 1 year warranty ran out. Called Tamron, shipped it to them. It was back with me after 4 days. I was very impressed.

It's pretty much my main lens on my Sony body.

Johnd2000 said:
Camera World have had them from split a77 kits (plain box) for £420. It might be worth a look to see if they still have some.

I borrowed one for a few hours. Good lens. Weather sealed. SSM focussing. About as sharp as the CZ 16-80, but faster, and cheaper.

The only negative I've heard are a few instances of poor build (misaligned focal plane). I've seen a few complaints of this but everyone seems to have got good copies 2nd time around. I'd be wary of buying a grey one, for that reason.

Thanks, will look into that. Will have to offload the primes first.

Either the Tamron 17-50 2.8 or Sony 16-50 2.8 are worthy of a place in any Sony users camera bag. The Sony definitely has the edge for overall quality but the Tamron can be bought for less money. I only upgraded from the Tamron because I bought the A77 with kit lens.

Sony Alpha 50mm F1.8 lens for £59.99 after cashback

I guess most people already have this lens but if you don't have one and wanted it the price is currently reduced to £89.99 which comes to £59.99 after the £30 Sony cashback: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-50mm-1-8-SAM-SAL-50F18/dp/B002CQB4J6/1567/ref=nosim There is a code ( FREEONED ) on that page for free one day delivery as well, or if you have Prime you get a discount equivalent to the cost of delivery making the lens even cheaper. :D

Does anyone on here have the Sony 135mm CZ 1.8?this could very well be my next lens and just seeing if anyone has any experience with it.

Sony Alpha 50mm F1.8 lens for £59.99 after cashback

I guess most people already have this lens but if you don't have one and wanted it the price is currently reduced to £89.99 which comes to £59.99 after the £30 Sony cashback: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-50mm-1-8-SAM-SAL-50F18/dp/B002CQB4J6/1567/ref=nosim There is a code ( FREEONED ) on that page for free one day delivery as well, or if you have Prime you get a discount equivalent to the cost of delivery making the lens even cheaper. :D

Hi
Dose any one know if it will be ok with full frame sensor
Thx

Does anyone on here have the Sony 135mm CZ 1.8?this could very well be my next lens and just seeing if anyone has any experience with it.
it's reputed to be THE best 135mm from an IQ POV - better than any Canon, Nikon etc.

Back