Calling iPhone Users - Help Required

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay, so my wife recently treated me to an iPhone 5S running iOS9.3.2 ... thank you dear :)

Everything is fine and I am getting used to the differences between this and my previous Android phones, which I really liked.

Everything except that it won't synchronise my Outlook 2007 calendar. Email, contacts and tasks all sync fine but I just can't get the calendar to do the same. I've followed the instructions on the Apple website, watched loads of youtube videos and they basically all give the same instructions which I'm pretty sure I have followed exactly.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? It's going to be a real drag having to keep two calendars up to date :(

TIA

Hello, Bristolian.
How did you manage to sync your Outlook with iPhone?
I'm trying to sync my 6s with Outlook calendar and notes and completely frustrated with this "Apple experience".

In outlook 2016 it is as simple as just running setup. What are the actual problems you gentlemen are encountering? Is it setup, not able to select it in outlook, setting the default, etc.

Hello, Bristolian.
How did you manage to sync your Outlook with iPhone?
I'm trying to sync my 6s with Outlook calendar and notes and completely frustrated with this "Apple experience".

Hi Danaras,

I am still using Outlook 2007 so if you have a different version this may not work.Syncing has to be done via iCloud and you need to download the iCloud PC app. Once you have installed that, the first time you run the app it asks for your outlook email address and what you want to sync (email, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.)

In my case, everything except calendar then sync'd okay. In Outlook calendar iCloud created another calendar and I could see all my appointments, etc., in that new calendar but it didn't sync to the phone. After much hair pulling (and I don't have a lot to pull these days), cursing and threatening to chuck the phone out of the window I hit on the idea of merging the two calendars and voila, all good :)

To merge them, click on your original calendar and export to a file then click on the iCloud calendar and import that file, clicking on the merge option.

The best way I can explain this is that the iCloud calendar is kinda transparent and lets you see what's on the calendar beneath it (youroriginal one) but the entries aren't actually there so you have to import them. Make sense?

I hope this is of some help :)

In outlook 2016 it is as simple as just running setup. What are the actual problems you gentlemen are encountering? Is it setup, not able to select it in outlook, setting the default, etc.

Oh to have Outlook 2016 but I'm too mean to update my Office 2007 (yet) :)

As you can see from my reply to Danaras, I'm sorted but it was an incredibly frustrating time. All I have to do is get the wife's to work now - I'm sure she only bought me the iphone because she knew I would keep at this until I found the solution then I could be hers :)

Regards
Steve

That's Apple for you Steve! :)

Yeah, kinda reinforced my dislike of the whole Apple brand really but compared to the iPhone 4 I used to have as a company phone the 5S is another breed altogether and I really like it. Would be nice though if you could just use it without having to buy into the whole iTunes/iCloud ethos.

See, and that's another thing, having had an iphone previously when I logged into my iTunes account again for the first time it started to sync all my old contacts and stuff ... no asking if I wanted that to happen and it took ages to clear all that junk out again. Even now that all those old contacts have been deleted it still offers me them when I'm typing in email addresses. Steve Jobs is gonna get an earful when I catch up with him :)

Okay, rant over ... thanks for listening :)

Don't try to hard!

Steve Jobs: 24/2/1955 - 5/10/2011

Think Steve realises Steve Jobs is no longer with us- depending on your beliefs we all may or may not catch up with him eventually:)

apart from the outloolk issue I find iphones just work, most things are pretty intuitive on them

Think Steve realises Steve Jobs is no longer with us- depending on your beliefs we all may or may not catch up with him eventually:)

apart from the outloolk issue I find iphones just work, most things are pretty intuitive on them

You are, of course, quite correct, Keith :)

After just a couple of weeks using the 5S I am struggling to remember how things were done on Android.

Oh to have Outlook 2016 but I'm too mean to update my Office 2007 (yet) :)

As you can see from my reply to Danaras, I'm sorted but it was an incredibly frustrating time. All I have to do is get the wife's to work now - I'm sure she only bought me the iphone because she knew I would keep at this until I found the solution then I could be hers :)

Regards
Steve
Yes very useful update indeed. I did struggle getting my head around that one in the beginning. But like many things, to me, this is really an Outlook idiosyncrasy. I just don't understand why it keeps the calendars of multiple accounts very different, or not able to switch off the local Outlook calendar as you really don't want to put anything in it. I don't have that on any other tools than Outlook.

Hi Bristollian,
Thanks a lot for your solution! Yes, I have Outlook 2007 as well and feeling like a dinosaur when it comes to asking for some tech help.
I don't really like to share my Outlook data with Apple :cautious:, so will probably keep looking for some "non-cloud" solution.
P.S. Don't call me paranoid :LOL:

Hi Bristollian,
Thanks a lot for your solution! Yes, I have Outlook 2007 as well and feeling like a dinosaur when it comes to asking for some tech help.
I don't really like to share my Outlook data with Apple :cautious:, so will probably keep looking for some "non-cloud" solution.
P.S. Don't call me paranoid :LOL:
But you aren't sharing your outlook data with Apple at all ;)

Seems that I have found what I've been looking for. The program is called Akruto.
It has some strange interface that makes you feel like you're back in the early 2000s - but it works!
I spent 5 minutes to set it up and now I have everything on my iPhone. The only disadvantage is that it can't transfer old notes from the phone - only those created after the installation (can transfer any old notes from computer though). Still, those £26 are worth spending to make an old paranoid happy.
If somebody has similar problems, here's a page explaining how this program works: http://www.akruto.com/sync-iphone-with-outlook/

Seems that I have found what I've been looking for. The program is called Akruto.
It has some strange interface that makes you feel like you're back in the early 2000s - but it works!
I spent 5 minutes to set it up and now I have everything on my iPhone. The only disadvantage is that it can't transfer old notes from the phone - only those created after the installation (can transfer any old notes from computer though). Still, those £26 are worth spending to make an old paranoid happy.
If somebody has similar problems, here's a page explaining how this program works: http://www.akruto.com/sync-iphone-with-outlook/

I am confused!

You don’t wish to trust one of the largest and most well known companies in the world, but will trust a small firm not many of us have heard of?

Back