Camera shake - shutter or me?

I did 12 exposures at 3 seconds long because my 6 (and a bit!) stop filters aren't enough to stop the light getting in and my goal is to do a lovely image with loooong floating clouds. I will be out again later, when its a bit darker, to try for a proper photo, and see if I can get longer exposures and smoother clouds!!
Look into photo stacking in PS. It allows you to use shorter exposures for a long exposure result... useful for when there is too much light, too much wind, etc, etc.

Reactions: ejm
Look into photo stacking in PS. It allows you to use shorter exposures for a long exposure result... useful for when there is too much light, too much wind, etc, etc.
Some cameras allow you to do this in camera too. I think the EM1x is one of them and I would expect more models to follow suit. I believe they call it an inbuilt ND feature, but in reality it's just stacked images.

Some cameras allow you to do this in camera too. I think the EM1x is one of them and I would expect more models to follow suit. I believe they call it an inbuilt ND feature, but in reality it's just stacked images.
Interesting! I shall have a look through the settings and see if mines one!

Interesting! I shall have a look through the settings and see if mines one!
Pretty sure the D750 doesn't tbh unless there's been a big firmware update since I had mine. It's a pretty new thing, but I think it will catch on. That being said, Olympus have had their live composite feature for a while (which the Live ND feature is a variation of) and that's not been copied yet AFAIK.

try live view and use that for focus don't rely on autofocus
TBH I always use autofocus for landscapes, but then with DSLR I always shot in live view and focus in LV is extremely accurate (y)

@ejm

What on Earth are those things at the bottom of the photo? Any chance you're in a parked car??

It looks like a cup placed in a cup holder on top of the dashboard, and a reflection of the cup on the inside of the car's windscreen, or am I wrong?

@ejm

What on Earth are those things at the bottom of the photo? Any chance you're in a parked car??

It looks like a cup placed in a cup holder on top of the dashboard, and a reflection of the cup on the inside of the car's windscreen, or am I wrong?
The photos were taken from a bedroom through a window. Post 19 by the OP kind of explains what and why it happened.

The photos were taken from a bedroom through a window. Post 19 by the OP kind of explains what and why it happened.

Then in that case, floorboards?

It's just a thought...

Most of us would take our camera outdoors, set up on a strong stable tripod, and hopefully in no wind, start the self timer and step away from the camera (or use a cable release or remote control). As the tripod is on a ground, the vibration from your walking around, is kind of damped by the soft earth, plus the vibration goes every where else.

But if it was in a bedroom. You're stepping on the wooden planks, downward pressure on one end of a floorboard plank would move the other end upwards, even if very tiny movement, but surely you know what floorboards are like? Someone else walk around your bedroom, you could feel the vibration from their footsteps? Floorboard creak and groan.

(Even if it was inside a car, your body movement shakes the car, even very tiny, but it's still enough to shake the tripod, which in turn shake the camera.)

We all often want to cut down every tiny movement, mirror lock up, tight and secure tripod head, stable platform, no touching the camera, and all that, and even worrying about a very tiny earthquake, which we did not feel, but is enough for the camera to register a little camera shake.

So I assume a car or even a bedroom floorboard is not even a very stable platform, it may be stable to us, but to a camera, a tiny movement is enough to register as a camera shake? You know what cameras are like, they're sensitive to light and movement.

@ejm

They are trophys I've collected over the years for my cars along a window ledge, where I took the shot. My cars are too low and small to set up a tripod in and use a 300mm lens :LOL:
Anyway, the composition was not important, the weather was not great and i had receieved some new filters which I impatiently wanted to try, so I just set up the tripod inside and shot through the window. I have since taken more photos with no issues (outside!) and like you say in your second reply, I think it must just be the floorboards :)

In the second picture the trails look like the tripod head might not have been clamped tightly enough and it drifted down through the exposure.

Back