Camera Strap

Crikey it's now over 201 posts.... Reminds me of Redmonkee & his ebay purchase with the Canon 1D mkIII "linky"... :bonk:

Have any of you users of the R Strap or Q Strap used the strap whilst carring other kit in a shoulder bag (as opposed to a rucksac-style bag).............I quite fancy an R Strap, but as I use a shoulder bag most of the time, I can't see how they could be compatible?

I used one for a bit in Afghanistan and it was only really a problem due to the body-armour and rifle-sling getting fouled (rifle had to be slung behind me for work and that sling was diagonally across me in the opposite direction to the R-Strap, so the rifle-strap was fouled).

I use it on my second body with the 70-200 attached to the lens' tripod mount and have no issues with it all. None. Zero. Very good bit of kit for fast-paced work if you have more than one body...

I've just taken delivery of the Cameraslingers double strap and will be testing it in anger for the first time this weekend. I went for this design as it does not have the strap across the chest which makes it a bit more discrete.

I'll let you know how I get on!

hopefully i will have my op-tech/rapid strap hybrid sorted soon.
Will cost me less than the rapid or anyother i have found (excluding the clones)

I used one for a bit in Afghanistan and it was only really a problem due to the body-armour and rifle-sling getting fouled (rifle had to be slung behind me for work and that sling was diagonally across me in the opposite direction to the R-Strap, so the rifle-strap was fouled).

I use it on my second body with the 70-200 attached to the lens' tripod mount and have no issues with it all. None. Zero. Very good bit of kit for fast-paced work if you have more than one body...

Thanks(y) Don't think body armour and/or a rifle are going to be a problem for me:)

:cautious: Not your type of "shooting" then I take it ;)

Thanks(y) Don't think body armour and/or a rifle are going to be a problem for me:)

You've not been to Tescos on pension day then!!:eek::D

I've just taken delivery of the Cameraslingers double strap and will be testing it in anger for the first time this weekend. I went for this design as it does not have the strap across the chest which makes it a bit more discrete.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Hackers got something similar by the looks of it...

I have the strap.

It makes me nervous (purely because I'm not used to carrying a camera this way, that's all), but it works. The lens DOES NOT point sideways from my body at all, so it doesn't feel like I could bump it into anything. Granted, I've not taken it out and about, just been wandering around the holiday home, but it seems good and is a good option to have in the locker as well as a monopod, tripod, backpack, or normal strap.

Steve- I'll leave your feedback when I have a slightly better wireless signal. +1 from me!

Cheers (y)

Two small loops of bootlace nylon through the camera anchor points. 2m of 6mm paracord.
1 bowline and one midshipman's hitch

best camera strap ever, easily adjustable, doesn't slide off you shoulder,

cost about 10p

(y) :plus1: Almost exactly what I use! Only I already had the paracord, and a karabiner, so cost me nothing!

Well, I wandered round Salcombe for about an hour, maybe less, using this yesterday. I only had my 16-85 attached to the D300s, so there was only one point of contact, using the camera's tripod bush. I have to say I was very pleased with it. I kept checking the camera was ok, and found myself quite often naturally just holding it with my right hand down by my side anyway. I tested the 'screw' numerous times, and it didn't come loose at all, and I didn't once feel like the camera or base plate was being put under too much pressure in anyway.

My one grip with it is the shoulder strap/pad. It's very hard and plasticy. It's got 'bobbles' on in an attempt to stop it slipping, but I find it quite uncomfortable if I'm just wearing a t-shirt, and I sometimes found the shoulder pad either round my front or back. I wish it was more rubbery and neoprene like. Not sure what the best material would be that would help it not to slip but still be comfortable and soft on the shoulder

Well it seems that these are not so bad after all... As the only downside I could read was about the hard rubber part with the bobbles on it..

Spose that you could add a bit of neoprene padding to it somehow...

:thinking: No-doubt there will be a few replies to your review/post on it thou Simon & then with a few downside's no-doubt..

Well it seems that these are not so bad after all... As the only downside I could read was about the hard rubber part with the bobbles on it..

Spose that you could add a bit of neoprene padding to it somehow...

:thinking: No-doubt there will be a few replies to your review/post on it thou Simon & then with a few downside's no-doubt..

Yeah, it's just quite hard plastic, you know? Not really soft at all. The bobbles are obviously to stop it slipping too much, but they do dig in a little with a thin t-shirt on.

The shoulder padding on my Kata toploader is lovely. It could do with something like that

Yeah, it's just quite hard plastic, you know? Not really soft at all. The bobbles are obviously to stop it slipping too much, but they do dig in a little with a thin t-shirt on.

The shoulder padding on my Kata toploader is lovely. It could do with something like that

Shoulder pad on the R-Strap is deliberately non-grippy, so that it slides over/around the shoulder more easily, and is more comfortable with breatheable fabric.

It's certainly comfy, even with a heavy camera.

Shoulder pad on the R-Strap is deliberately non-grippy, so that it slides over/around the shoulder more easily, and is more comfortable with breatheable fabric.

It's certainly comfy, even with a heavy camera.

(y) Agreed...adjusted right it sits nicely on the hip with the lens facing backwards and tucked-in out of harm's way...
I do find it comfier with a collared shirt as opposed to a 'T' however...

So what sort of shoulder pad does the R-strap have then?

With this Q-strap, it's just a plastic thing. I wonder if I can use something from an un-used bag, or buy some sort of adapter or cover to go over it

So what sort of shoulder pad does the R-strap have then?

With this Q-strap, it's just a plastic thing. I wonder if I can use something from an un-used bag, or buy some sort of adapter or cover to go over it

It's similar to the padding you have n some shoulder bags. Mine has a zipped pocket which will hold a couple of memory cards. With the adjustable stopper at the bottom of the strap, it ensures that the padding remains on your shoulder.

I have the quick strap from HK which is basically an eBay knock off of the R strap. I took it out for the first time at the weekend and it was fantastic, none of the comfort issues mentioned above, I hardly noticed I was wearing it. Comfortable, convinient and cheap, can't ask for more than that.

I hd a quick lookon google & couldn't really find anything - so looked at e-bay and found this E-bay

This geezer from China does a strap for £3.60 delivered maybe you could use that - In a way for £3.60 you cant go wrong as it would prob cost more than that to make the padding...

Tis a thought...

OpTech have just announced a shoulder sling attachment for their strap system - £30 http://www.newprouk.co.uk/optech-utility-strap-sling.htm

But it's not like an R-Strap in that it attaches to one of the normal strap lugs, not the tripod bush, so the camera hangs differently. I've tried it like that and the camera swings and bounces around, whereas if you use the tripod bush the camera hangs nestled with your hip against the angle between the camera body and the lens - much better and more secure. And the strap then stays underneath the camera, completely out of the way.

Basically the R-Strap way is much better IMHO.

OpTech have just announced a shoulder sling attachment for their strap system - £30 http://www.newprouk.co.uk/optech-utility-strap-sling.htm

But it's not like an R-Strap in that it attaches to one of the normal strap lugs, not the tripod bush, so the camera hangs differently. I've tried it like that and the camera swings and bounces around, whereas if you use the tripod bush the camera hangs nestled with your hip against the angle between the camera body and the lens - much better and more secure. And the strap then stays underneath the camera, completely out of the way.

Basically the R-Strap way is much better IMHO.

I actually use that system in preference to an R-strap, simply because it allows me to swap between a 'normal' round the neck strap and an over-should style one very easily.

It does bounce a little but not excessively so - I was out all day with it last weekend without a problem. I did make sure I only used one of the clips, rather than both, since I found it hung more comfortably.

Didn't cost me £30 either... I found the long straps by themselves and clicked them into my TP neoprene bit.

I actually use that system in preference to an R-strap, simply because it allows me to swap between a 'normal' round the neck strap and an over-should style one very easily.

It does bounce a little but not excessively so - I was out all day with it last weekend without a problem. I did make sure I only used one of the clips, rather than both, since I found it hung more comfortably.

Didn't cost me £30 either... I found the long straps by themselves and clicked them into my TP neoprene bit.

I know what you mean Pete about running two strap options.

I do that too - I've got a regular OpTech and I leave the little dangly bits attached to the camera - I've modified them so they're very short and unobtrusive. Then I clip the R-Strap underneath for walkabout.

I just think OpTech have missed a trick by not including a tripod bush fitting as well. Would be so easy and I guess it's well DIYable. Unfortunately I can't use the one strap to do both jobs as I like to have the regular neck strap very short and it's not long enough to go over the shoulder.

Im now running 2 optech straps with sling adapters. I have swapped over the straps on the rear so they cross on my back and stay in place over my shoulders at the front. I use tripod plates and carabiners so they sit like the rapid R system.

From the front it looks jsut looks like 2 straps (one on each shoulder) and since they dont cross its very comfortable. I just need to find a solution to stop the whole strap system rotating when i take the weight of one camera in one hand. Its not hard to do and just requires fastening the 2 straps where they cross on my back. Just need it to be removable.

Back