Camera Strap

He has actually purchased this from me...

I purchased it from ebay & instead of returning it I offered it for sale at the price I got it for.. As it seemed easier to sell on than to return it & if someone on here was going to purchase it from ebay I could have saved them the time & hassle....

I've noticed that a previous post in this thread mention about purchasing these clips & screws and making your own... The clips they have linked to are £12 each, & thats with out the strap on top...

There's nothing wrong with the strap that I'm selling its just that I got it for a Nikon 70-200mm VR & I cant see the point to keep unscrewing the mount in the camera to keep changing lenses... Which I openly statedin the listing in the sales thread...

I have Nikons Ah-4 hand strap & am happy with that (prob cause I'm used to it now) I also have the Nikon neck strap which is still in its plastic covering unused and havent used a neck strap for the last 18months....

The strap may be great, but I'm disapointed with the way this has reached our attention.

I totally agree... Something should be done about it as it is unfair to the likes of Graham (FITP) who have to pay...

Then this is a case for the MODs to sort out & no doubt they are in the process of doing so..

Not knowing on how they go about it I would imagine that they would have to wait till either RM/TJC sign in again in-order to discuss this with them...

I totally agree... Something should be done about it as it is unfair to the likes of Graham (FITP) who have to pay...

Then this is a case for the MODs to sort out & no doubt they are in the process of doing so..

Not knowing on how they go about it I would imagine that they would have to wait till either RM/TJC sign in again in-order to discuss this with them...

Yeah, you're probably right(y)

Cheers Nigel as thought for a min then it would been a case of :coat: and making an exit :LOL:

I got one of the straps from "Randy-Mandy/Tjcroom" after reading this thread. Used it a couple of times and I really like it, not very happy about how I came to purchase it, such a horrible way to get people to purchase your products. I was thinking about getting another one for my wife, but will now look elsewhere.

T Croom/Randy Mandy can't really have much confidence in their strap, otherwise he would have used and paid for an ad in the advertisers section.

I'll be honest here and state we did get a "Contact Us" asking if they could advertise. We hadn't got round to replying (in the negative)....Still doesn't justify it...
Besides, this thread (and the other "Welcome" one where they replied to each other) were started well before the request for paid advertising.

I got one of the straps from "Randy-Mandy/Tjcroom" after reading this thread. Used it a couple of times and I really like it, not very happy about how I came to purchase it, such a horrible way to get people to purchase your products. I was thinking about getting another one for my wife, but will now look elsewhere.

Mine arrived today, I have not used it but first impressions seem it is okay, nothing special. The main drawback is the padding for the shoulder is minimal and does not look overly comfortable. The one that Rusty posted looks more comfortable and practical as it has pockets for the spare memory cards. I will post some pictures and hopefully get use it over the weekend. Like Rob bit annoyed by the way I got duped into buying it and still considering what feedback to leave on their ebay account.

Well it backfired in my case as I liked the look of the one Rusty posted more, so they got my money. Very pleased with the strap too, takes the weight off my neck when I've got a longer heavy lens attached.

Mmmmmm 4 days since any posts where made & strangely enough no sign of either Randy-Mandy nor Tjcroom... (had a crafty check - last log'd in 14/05)

:cautious: I wonder if he was viewing this thread :shrug:

After a good nights sleep. I have decided for the moment that these slings are going to be trouble. They put a very valuable piece of equipment in a position where they are not naturally protected or even thought about. It will not be long before some serious Glass gets damaged. These work ok with a small camera. But once you have the lens sticking out its a recipe for disaster . Have it on your front where its much easier to see so the mind can control your body in order to protect it.

After a good nights sleep. I have decided for the moment that these slings are going to be trouble. They put a very valuable piece of equipment in a position where they are not naturally protected or even thought about. It will not be long before some serious Glass gets damaged. These work ok with a small camera. But once you have the lens sticking out its a recipe for disaster . Have it on your front where its much easier to see so the mind can control your body in order to protect it.

This is my thinking too. The longer the strap, the more it can swing around and with heavier cameras with long glass attached, this sounds like a disaster awaiting. I'll stick with my OpTech which I find comfy and controllable.

This is my thinking too. The longer the strap, the more it can swing around and with heavier cameras with long glass attached, this sounds like a disaster awaiting. I'll stick with my OpTech which I find comfy and controllable.

I can only speak as far as the R Strap is concerned, but it you are using a longer lens, they have tripod collars and if you attach the strap to that it should be perfectly balanced. In fact, I'e found that cameras bounce around far more in front than at the side. I've worn the R Strap with a gripped body and 70-200 attached for a full 10 hour day and the camera never swung about and was the most comfortable I have ever been with a camera.

*sends invoice for marketing to Blackrapid* :D

You guys have got to try one. It's nothing like that at all.

With a good one like the R-Strap, you can adjust the length and there are two adjustable sliders which will hold the camera in any position around the front, side or back.

The angle at which the camera/lens hangs depends on where the attachment point is, the balance and weight of the lens. It would be handy if manufacturers provided a larger plate with attachment points in different positions so you could get the angle of the dangle just right but the tripod bush isn't a bad spot.

Mine hangs with the grip outermost, which is where you normally go to grab the camera, with the lens tucked in and pointing behind.

You guys have got to try one. It's nothing like that at all.

With a good one like the R-Strap, you can adjust the length and there are two adjustable sliders which will hold the camera in any position around the front, side or back.

The angle at which the camera/lens hangs depends on where the attachment point is, the balance and weight of the lens. It would be handy if manufacturers provided a larger plate with attachment points in different positions so you could get the angle of the dangle just right but the tripod bush isn't a bad spot.

Mine hangs with the grip outermost, which is where you normally go to grab the camera, with the lens tucked in and pointing behind.

I quote: "Tucked in and pointing behind...." has this thread suddenly taken a turn? !!

Whilst the strap looks good. I do not like the attachment method. Maybe if they can come up with a better base plate to 'absorb " the stress from such a weight bouncing around on the tripod thread point. Remember there is no way the tripod mounting thread was designed to have so much vibration.

I quote: "Tucked in and pointing behind...." has this thread suddenly taken a turn? !!

Whilst the strap looks good. I do not like the attachment method. Maybe if they can come up with a better base plate to 'absorb " the stress from such a weight bouncing around on the tripod thread point. Remember there is no way the tripod mounting thread was designed to have so much vibration.

But it doesn't bounce around, that's he whole point. Having it attached to the tripod mount means that it's properly balanced. In fact, a camera will move more handing round yor neck than at your side.

It screws into both the tripod collar plate & into the base of the camera...

I take your point. However...

This method of attachment is not new. Folks have been doing it for years, one way or another, but I have never heard of anyone ripping the tripod bush out.

If there were any known issues, R-Strap at least (they're from the litigious US) would not market it. It would be commercial suicide.

I have a 70-200L zoom, which is quite long and heavy. It is not sold with a tripod collar and is clearly intended to be used on a tripod, secured by the camera's tripod bush. There is a lot of leverage on that, but clearly the bush is designed to take it.

You should try one before dissing it ;)

Ok Luke we get the picture you are not keen on the strap but from some body who has one and has used it with large ish glass it does exactley what you need it to do. I use mine attached to the tripod foot of both my Sigma lenses and it is sooooo easy and comfortable to use EVEN in a very busy pit lane at Oulton Park. I agree the clasp idea looks weak compared the the Blackrapid stap but it works and I have seen no evidence from my use that it would fail. Also unless you have an engineering back ground regarding camera design saying

Remember there is no way the tripod mounting thread was designed to have so much vibration.

Is pretty pointless without having something to back it up with, I don't see where all this vibration is coming from unless you do all your photography on top of a washing machine. The human body is a great shock absorber.

Ok Luke we get the picture you are not keen on the strap but from some body who has one and has used it with large ish glass it does exactley what you need it to do. I use mine attached to the tripod foot of both my Sigma lenses and it is sooooo easy and comfortable to use EVEN in a very busy pit lane at Oulton Park. I agree the clasp idea looks weak compared the the Blackrapid stap but it works and I have seen no evidence from my use that it would fail. Also unless you have an engineering back ground regarding camera design saying

Remember there is no way the tripod mounting thread was designed to have so much vibration.

Is pretty pointless without having something to back it up with, I don't see where all this vibration is coming from unless you do all your photography on top of a washing machine. The human body is a great shock absorber.

There is no picture yet !
As for the vibration. well each time you move so will the camera .Instead of the load been evenly spread between the strap points. its now only has one Load point.. Each time the camera bounces it will put extra stress on the fabric around the Thread.

Well then don't get one Luke.

People like them. People keep answering your points. But yet you still keep coming back and disagreeing, despite the fact you don't have one. You seem to be making a habit recently of hijacking threads and causing arguments. Give it a rest.

There is no picture yet !
As for the vibration. well each time you move so will the camera .Instead of the load been evenly spread between the strap points. its now only has one Load point.. Each time the camera bounces it will put extra stress on the fabric around the Thread.

As it does when it's hanging round your neck only even more so as it bounces against your chest. But then you seem to be ignoring my posts (and pretty much everyone else's TBH).

Anyway, don't think there's much else to be gained from this thread so...............

Thread reopened but please can we not get bogged down again. Thank you

Thread reopened but please can we not get bogged down again. Thank you

Thanks Fabs for the re-opening of this thread (y)

I have a friend who has a all singing and dancing CNC shop. If i can make a template for the bottom of my nikon. I think i could modify a sling to give me 100% what i want. That is the lens to be hanging vertically , Should cost less than a £10.00 . The basic idea of a "sling" is great. but not for me with a Horizontal hanging lens.
Also good quality webbing and buckles etc can be had for less than £15.00. Some interesting Home made type ones on Youtube.

And what about TP marketing one? How hard can it be? :)

Isn't or wasn't there a "TP camera strap" flying around on here a little while ago - as I'm sure that I read it on a thread a wee while ago :shrug:

I have a friend who has a all singing and dancing CNC shop. If i can make a template for the bottom of my nikon. I think i could modify a sling to give me 100% what i want. That is the lens to be hanging vertically , Should cost less than a £10.00 . The basic idea of a "sling" is great. but not for me with a Horizontal hanging lens.
Also good quality webbing and buckles etc can be had for less than £15.00. Some interesting Home made type ones on Youtube.

For the lens to hang down vertically, the attachment point would have to be around the middle of the LCD. Not that I think that's the best way for it to hang anyway.

For reasons that perhaps only become clear when you try it, IMHO the optimum attachment position is about 5cm to the right of the tripod bush, towards the grip. Which is exactly where mine hangs (from a point on a custom L bracket) although the tripod bush itself isn't at all bad.

Isn't or wasn't there a "TP camera strap" flying around on here a little while ago - as I'm sure that I read it on a thread a wee while ago :shrug:

Yes :)

For the lens to hang down vertically, the attachment point would have to be around the middle of the LCD. Not that I think that's the best way for it to hang anyway.

For reasons that perhaps only become clear when you try it, IMHO the optimum attachment position is about 5cm to the right of the tripod bush, towards the grip. Which is exactly where mine hangs (from a point on a custom L bracket) although the tripod bush itself isn't at all bad.

Yes :)

Along those lines is what i have in mind. As i only use the one body and lens. I can play with it a bit until i get it right. Then i have the benefit of a sling which is great and the camera not sticking out too much !

Thanks for the PM Luke. Nice stuff you're saying there. I'm sure everyone on this thread would be interested to hear your views on them

what?
Like i MUST take advice from them and not to question them because their answers still do not answer my question? ( UNtil the last one, who decided to offer some good advice and see things from my point of view, rather than getting "girlie about the issue" )Is this what a forum is about !!!

As others mentioned , they too are also not sure about the design. And that it could with a little attention be made better. Some of us want to try discuss this if its ok with you............. so when someone says "you are ignoring my posts" i think.... "well hard luck" I will decide for myself . I am not willing to accept the design as it is.

Many here had "emotional " issues after finding they had been sucked into a little game by the sellers , My god....

Now does that make you happy ?

Thanks for the PM Luke. Nice stuff you're saying there. I'm sure everyone on this thread would be interested to hear your views on them

Simon, if you have an issue with a PM, please report it.

As others mentioned , they too are also not sure about the design. And that it could with a little attention be made better

I'm pretty sure all these people don't have one (like myself).

All the people that do have one have said there's no issue with where the straps connects to the camera body (i.e. the tripod bush).

So your concern about where the strap connects has been answered numerous times by those on here who have one, but for some reason you're not listening to it.

Don't hide behind PM. If you've got something to say then say it to everyone.

:thinking: this thread is less amazing, more confusing....

so, I have a Black Rapid, as do several full time pros round here that I know of and as already mentioned, I suspect if there was any doubt about the strength of tripod bushes, American companies like them and Slinger [who produce a very similar strap] would not be making/marketing them - the cost of litigation would be too great. I also suspect that they have been around long enough now that the camera manufacturers themselves would be advising against them for similar fear of litigation.

However, if people feel they can't trust a device that fastens to the tripod mount, fair enough, some people are just like that and it sure as hell isn't worth getting wound up about.

Luke, the one thing that is very puzzling is why you would want a lens, particularly a long one, to hang vertcally? I tried using the d700/70-200 combo with the strap attached to the camera tripod mount [instead of tripod collar on lens], so that simple weight made it hang vertical....all I ended up with was bruises because the pendulum effect on a longer lens was unmanageable. This is probably less problematic on someone that is over 6ft though..... :LOL:

Anyway, can we please play nicely chaps

:thinking: this thread is less amazing, more confusing....

so, I have a Black Rapid, as do several full time pros round here that I know of and as already mentioned, I suspect if there was any doubt about the strength of tripod bushes, American companies like them and Slinger [who produce a very similar strap] would not be making/marketing them - the cost of litigation would be too great. I also suspect that they have been around long enough now that the camera manufacturers themselves would be advising against them for similar fear of litigation.

However, if people feel they can't trust a device that fastens to the tripod mount, fair enough, some people are just like that and it sure as hell isn't worth getting wound up about.

Luke, the one thing that is very puzzling is why you would want a lens, particularly a long one, to hang vertcally? I tried using the d700/70-200 combo with the strap attached to the camera tripod mount [instead of tripod collar on lens], so that simple weight made it hang vertical....all I ended up with was bruises because the pendulum effect on a longer lens was unmanageable. This is probably less problematic on someone that is over 6ft though..... :LOL:

Anyway, can we please play nicely chaps[/QUOTE

Its not that long ! but its the way i prefer to carry it. and it does not have a lens tripod mount.

I'm pretty sure all these people don't have one (like myself).

All the people that do have one have said there's no issue with where the straps connects to the camera body (i.e. the tripod bush).

So your concern about where the strap connects has been answered numerous times by those on here who have one, but for some reason you're not listening to it.

Don't hide behind PM. If you've got something to say then say it to everyone.

simon..... you seem to suffer from selective reading.

I want the lens to hang down. For that i need to modify the fitting. And despite what you think... there are many posts on many forums where people question the supplied fittings. so allow it and get on with life (y)

Anyway, back to the strap. I'll be getting mine on Friday (it's currently with my in-laws), so I'll be able to give a full run down of how stable it feels with my heavy D300s and heavy, solid, metal Tokina 50-135mm attached, when I'm back from my week's holiday in Devon (unless I can find signal to post on my phone when I'm down there)

Back