Camera Strap

I have 2 cameras both with op/tech knock off straps.
I am just going to get 3 fastenr-2 mounts (2 for bodies and 1 for 70-200 collar)
I have found a bit of webbing with a male and a female buckle at each end to fasten the 2 straps at the back so no chance of them slipping of my shoulders.
2 locking carabiners to securley attach the straps to the fastr mounts.

that gives me a decenty setup for now and cost me a grand total of £45 spent. if i wanted i might get the sling adapter if i find the setup annoying. but thats only roughly £20 extra and a setup that makes a 5DII with 24-70, 50D with 70-200 feel really light and quickly accessible. Best bit is they fit nicely under a jacket as well. so no more taking camera off to take jacket off and putting it on as well. It shouldnt look like a bodge job either.

I have everything apart from the fastenr mounts so will post an shot when i get them over the next week.

I've got the double Q-strap, not had the chance to test it out for a full day but it seem pretty good for the cash.

Don't foresee any issues with the hardware that attaches to the camera, looks pretty sturdy.

so, I have a Black Rapid, as do several full time pros round here that I know of and as already mentioned, I suspect if there was any doubt about the strength of tripod bushes, American companies like them and Slinger [who produce a very similar strap] would not be making/marketing them - the cost of litigation would be too great. I also suspect that they have been around long enough now that the camera manufacturers themselves would be advising against them for similar fear of litigation.

However, if people feel they can't trust a device that fastens to the tripod mount, fair enough, some people are just like that and it sure as hell isn't worth getting wound up about.

...and what about the pros that have long carried kit hanging off a tripod slung over their shoulder? (in that case it's the QR that'd make me nervous not the mount)

I must be missing something here but I can't see how this style of strap can be convenient.

I shoot motor sport: hill climb stuff mostly. This means there's a car going past every 20 seconds or so. I currently use my D300 either on a monopod or round my neck on an Optech strap.

If I opted for a Black Rapid style set-up, I'd have to either hold my camera between shots or lift it up from my side every time I wanted to take a photo.

I've studied the Youtube clips of the black Rapid and I imagine it might be good for wandering around and taking the odd photo but for constant shooting of the sort I do, I fail to see its advantage.

Zoom,

You've hit the nail on the head, I use one for wandering around shows and general out and about stuff, perfect. Otherwise it's a pain when a monopod is more suitable for static/regular shooting.

A strap is for one thing, a monopod is for another. I don't see how you can compare them.:thinking:

A strap is for one thing, a monopod is for another. I don't see how you can compare them.:thinking:

I wasn't. I was just explaining how I shoot throughout a typical day: either off a monopod or using a strap.

Like I said, the Black rapid would probably be good if you're spending time walking round with your camera and only taking the occasional shot but for constant shooting in the way that I am, I fail to see how lifting your camera up and down or holding it all the time is advantageous.

^^^
Correct answer. Different situations require different bits of kit

Zoom, you've pretty much contradicted yourself a little by saying you don't see how it's convenient, and then later on in the post describing exactly what the strap is convenient for- wandering around and take the odd snap here and there. Of course it's not suitable to what you use your camera for, but for other situations it is

I wasn't. I was just explaining how I shoot throughout a typical day: either off a monopod or using a strap.

Like I said, the Black rapid would probably be good if you're spending time walking round with your camera and only taking the occasional shot but for constant shooting in the way that I am, I fail to see how lifting your camera up and down or holding it all the time is advantageous.

I was actually replying to Cocker in this instance but yes, in your circumstance a monopod sounds more advantageous but if you have a second body on a strap, a sling can be better than a neck strap as it keeps he camera out of the way when you are using the one on the monopod.

^^^
Zoom, you've pretty much contradicted yourself a little by saying you don't see how it's convenient, and then later on in the post describing exactly what the strap is convenient for- wandering around and take the odd snap here and there. Of course it's not suitable to what you use your camera for, but for other situations it is

I did go on to explain my shooting requirements and routines but if we want to be pedantic, 'I believe the Black Rapid isn't suitable for my personal photographic needs, however, I imagine it might be handy for others who raise their cameras less often.' I think that covers everything.

For my motorsport needs I have the D300 and Sigma 100-300 + 1.4tc(140-420mm) on a monopod with a shorter combo(Sigma 70-200) on my Quick strap.

I must be missing something here but I can't see how this style of strap can be convenient.

I shoot motor sport: hill climb stuff mostly. This means there's a car going past every 20 seconds or so. I currently use my D300 either on a monopod or round my neck on an Optech strap.

If I opted for a Black Rapid style set-up, I'd have to either hold my camera between shots or lift it up from my side every time I wanted to take a photo.

I've studied the Youtube clips of the black Rapid and I imagine it might be good for wandering around and taking the odd photo but for constant shooting of the sort I do, I fail to see its advantage.

:thinking: you fail to see? you answered your own question....you said you carry camera round neck when not on a monopod....so pressumably each time you take a shot you lift from chest to eye, or you hold it all the time...so the only difference is where the camera is when not in your hand.... and the significant difference in spreading the weight onto shoulder rather than giving yourself next strain [maybe you are immune to it, but I simply cannot carry a camera round my neck for more hen half an hour]. Most neck straps are not long enough to have diagonally across shoulders [for security and weight distribution] and even if they were, would not slide easily - so this style strap, regardless of who makes it, serves several purposes that sem fairly obvious to me.... :shrug:

What's the shortest distance to lift a camera? From your chest or from down behind your hips?

Shortest isn't always quickest and if you're using a monopod, a camera hanging on your chest could get in the way (I'm sure it doesn't for you, but it would for me.

Well most people stand with their arms by there sides so my right hand is next to my camera on my quick stap so from a normal position I bet I can get my camera to my eye quicker than some one with it on a neck strap.

175 posts on a camera strap, it's madness I tell ye :wacky:

Anyways, after the shenningans (sounds like another SWPP thread, oh no !!!) with the OP I'm gonna opt for the Rapid strap when I order my 70-200 VRII in a couple of weeks time.

Don't like the way they do there business so they won't be getting a penny from me.

Shortest isn't always quickest and if you're using a monopod, a camera hanging on your chest could get in the way (I'm sure it doesn't for you, but it would for me.

Marc, just to reiterate, I either use a monopod or I hand hold my camera.

I just don't see how the Black Rapid strap is right for people taking shots every 20 seconds. Wandering round a National Trust garden with my wife and taking a few shots is a different matter and I can see it might work then but for my everyday requirements, I feel it would be a hindrance. Who knows, perhaps I'm totally wrong but I'm not prepared to lay out nearly 60 quid just to try one out.

Yvonne, I don't feel neck strain after a day's shooting when using an Optech strap. The original Nikon strap was very uncomfortable as it cut into my neck but the Optech one is much better.

Marc, just to reiterate, I either use a monopod or I hand hold my camera.

I just don't see how the Black Rapid strap is right for people taking shots every 20 seconds. Wandering round a National Trust garden with my wife and taking a few shots is a different matter and I can see it might work then but for my everyday requirements, I feel it would be a hindrance. Who knows, perhaps I'm totally wrong but I'm not prepared to lay out nearly 60 quid just to try one out.

It's all horses for courses. I use the R Strap for sports and it is just as quick and easy for me to slide the camera up from my side as it is for you to lift it up from the the front. I'm shooting cricket on Friday and will be using a 500mm lens on a monopod with a second body + 70-200 on the R strap, perfect combination for me.

175 posts on a camera strap, it's madness I tell ye :wacky:

Anyways, after the shenningans (sounds like another SWPP thread, oh no !!!) with the OP I'm gonna opt for the Rapid strap when I order my 70-200 VRII in a couple of weeks time.

Don't like the way they do there business so they won't be getting a penny from me.

well worth it and I like your thinking ref the OP ;)

I use a Lowepro Voyager neck strap and I love it. A lot more comfortable than the original Nikon one. I guess we all have our own preferences.

What I want to know is, what has happened to Randy Mandy and Donkey Dave or whatever his name is? I wonder what he/she/it prefers? ;)

I use a Lowepro Voyager neck strap and I love it. A lot more comfortable than the original Nikon one. I guess we all have our own preferences.

What I want to know is, what has happened to Randy Mandy and Donkey Dave or whatever his name is? I wonder what he/she/it prefers? ;)

Do you mean Tjcroom..... aka Randy-Mandy as it seems to have been pointed out....

If you was them would you want make a post - as I feel that they may get one heck of an abuse thrown at them....:bat:

We do have our own preferences & it seems that getting these across doesn't quite work out :bang:

Just wait for the strap evaluation sessions at the next TP meet :naughty:

:thinking: Will they be made public on here then do you think :naughty:

I just don't see how the Black Rapid strap is right for people taking shots every 20 seconds.
I think you are arguing with yourself here. I think anyone is trying to say that this strap is right for someone that is constantly taking photos every few seconds. If you are doing that then a monopod seems to be the right way to go as you suggested.

I have a double Q Strap and I have used it for a full day at a zoo and a full day at a wedding and I have to admit it is defiantely the most comfortable way I have found to carry 2 heavy cameras at the same time. I had a gripped D300 with a 24-70mm on one side and a D300 with 70-200mm on the otherside. Previously I had carried this combo with just the standard nikon neck straps and really struggled and got back pain from it but with the Q-Strap I had no problems what so ever.

I think you are arguing with yourself here. I think anyone is trying to say that this strap is right for someone that is constantly taking photos every few seconds. If you are doing that then a monopod seems to be the right way to go as you suggested.

I have a double Q Strap and I have used it for a full day at a zoo and a full day at a wedding and I have to admit it is defiantely the most comfortable way I have found to carry 2 heavy cameras at the same time. I had a gripped D300 with a 24-70mm on one side and a D300 with 70-200mm on the otherside. Previously I had carried this combo with just the standard nikon neck straps and really struggled and got back pain from it but with the Q-Strap I had no problems what so ever.

Rob, I do see the point of these type of straps if you're carrying two bodies at a time.

If you're shooting motor sport, aside from head-on shots, a monopod isn't the best weapon as you need to be able to pan your camera (in my case, every 20 seconds)

Lol what a thread this is, can we agree a quick strap isn't that rapid... for motorsport :p

You know what? I might just have to buy one of the bloody straps to use when I'm not shooting motor sport - just to shut you all up! :LOL:

Seriously, a great set up would be if the Optech and the Black Rapid/Q strap were able to connect in the same way so you could swap from one to the other for different jobs.

You know what? I might just have to buy one of the bloody straps to use when I'm not shooting motor sport - just to shut you all up! :LOL:

Seriously, a great set up would be if the Optech and the Black Rapid/Q strap were able to connect in the same way so you could swap from one to the other for different jobs.

I thought that all these were along the same line..... as aint these double connectable to the camera base & the lens tripod mount? :bang:

:thinking: I must have lost track somewhere along the line here as it seems that it started off with this ebay Q-strap & then has escalated into different makes/types of straps...

Zoom - are you thinking of inventing one then that combines all 3 into 1 strap?

You could call it the Z-Strap then.....

I thought that all these were along the same line..... as aint these double connectable to the camera base & the lens tripod mount? :bang:

:thinking: I must have lost track somewhere along the line here as it seems that it started off with this ebay Q-strap & then has escalated into different makes/types of straps...

Zoom - are you thinking of inventing one then that combines all 3 into 1 strap?

You could call it the Z-Strap then.....
Or the Black Q Tech strap.

Have any of you users of the R Strap or Q Strap used the strap whilst carring other kit in a shoulder bag (as opposed to a rucksac-style bag).............I quite fancy an R Strap, but as I use a shoulder bag most of the time, I can't see how they could be compatible?

Have any of you users of the R Strap or Q Strap used the strap whilst carring other kit in a shoulder bag (as opposed to a rucksac-style bag).............I quite fancy an R Strap, but as I use a shoulder bag most of the time, I can't see how they could be compatible?

It's no problem at all. I'm right-handed and put the R-Strap over my left shoulder, so that the camera hangs to the right. Then the shoulder bag on my left. They work perfectly together, much better than a regular neck strap for the camera.

If you prefer, switching them the other way around also works great too.

Two small loops of bootlace nylon through the camera anchor points. 2m of 6mm paracord.
1 bowline and one midshipman's hitch

best camera strap ever, easily adjustable, doesn't slide off you shoulder,

cost about 10p

It's no problem at all. I'm right-handed and put the R-Strap over my left shoulder, so that the camera hangs to the right. Then the shoulder bag on my left. They work perfectly together, much better than a regular neck strap for the camera.

If you prefer, switching them the other way around also works great too.

Thanks..................more food for thought(y) Who'd have thought camera straps would be so complicated:LOL:

Have used Quck strap with a lowpro stealth reporter 400aw with no problems at all.

Back