Can I use a "canon" Godox flash on an Olympus camera.

Name
Gordon
Edit My Images
Yes
I apologise in advance if this is a numpty question but I rarely use flash.
I currently have a canon R5 with 2 Godox flashes and a Godox trigger. I have just bought an Olympus om d m 1 mkiii camera, If I were to purchase a Godox "Olympus " trigger could I use the flashes off camera with full TTL compatibility? In my brain I cannot see how the flashguns would be adversely affected as long as they received a signal from the trigger - or am I missing something?

I’ve found the Godox x pro trigger for Canon works on my Olympus EM1iii and will fire my Canon flash with the X1 receiver base on it. Also the remote for my old Canon (550d) works on the EM1iii

I’m not sure if the Olympus trigger will work on the Canon, but I expect it may well do.

edit: actually now I think about it, I’m not using ttl, however you could just test it yourself with the trigger you have.

Last edited:
I apologise in advance if this is a numpty question but I rarely use flash.
I currently have a canon R5 with 2 Godox flashes and a Godox trigger. I have just bought an Olympus om d m 1 mkiii camera, If I were to purchase a Godox "Olympus " trigger could I use the flashes off camera with full TTL compatibility? In my brain I cannot see how the flashguns would be adversely affected as long as they received a signal from the trigger - or am I missing something?
Yes.
The camera system that the flashes are designed for only matters when they are mounted on the actual camera.
When I changed my camera from Panasonic to Sony, I kept the flash and changed the transmitter.

Last edited:
In a few recent experiments, I've found that using a flash transmitter designed for use with a camera other than the brand that it was designed for will fire the flash ok, but not usually give you the remote adjustment capability of the flash. You may be forced to make the adjustments on the flash rather than at the flash transmitter on the camera. The center pin of the hot shoe of the camera and transmitter seem to be commonly used for triggering, but the rest of the pins that control TTL and light settings remotely are not standardized between manufacturers. They may, or may not work correctly, depending on the combination.

Charley

They should work fine - I used Canon and Fuji cameras with Canon spec Godox flashes for off camera shoots

I'm using 2 Godox X PRO c and an X PRO f Transmitter in my studio, and an X2Tc in my field pack. All of my studio lights are Godox X, so have their receivers built-in.
I have 5 Godox Speedlites in my field kit and all have the X Receivers in them. In almost 2 years, I haven't had a mis-fire due to a communications problem. I've been very happy that I went with the Godox X control system and their lights..

Charley

It’s worth trying the transmitter you already have first. You may not need to buy one at all.
That only holds true if you are OK with manual settings only. It won't support ETTL or whatever olympus equivalent is

Back