Can we talk Medium Format cameras?

Have you got a link for that? There was a firm in west London that used to do Weston servicing, including replacement of the selenium cell, but they went out of business a couple of years ago.

I emailed Newton & Ellis last year and they said they could sort the meters out, but after reading your post I would email them first just to be on the safe side.

I tend to use my Minolta meter 99% of the time so have not got around to seeing if I I can get my Weston's serviced.

I used an old analogue meter at first which was fine, and could never run out of battery power. The downside was realising it was difficult to figure out where it was pointed sometimes. I tried taking a digital camera which was a bit too fiddly for me and finally got a dedicated spot meter. Even though it was more expensive overall I definitely dont regret it, so if I did it again I would go straight for a dedicated spot meter.

I have never, ever used a light meter. After watching this You Tube clip (supposedly a tutorial!?), I never want to use one :LOL: ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIAGAWQ_Oo&feature=related

WTF was that all about :shrug:?

3 minutes and 30 seconds to measure the exposure and the whole time talking in Pythagorian :bonk:. I hope to God that it's easier than this 'expert' made it look :shake:.

What a load of old tosh. You just point it press a button, match the needle and set the readings on the camera, takes about 10 seconds.....foot candles WTF surely thats just dangerous. :)

Ignore that video, it's as simple as Andy puts it, pick an area to meter for, point the meter at it, press the button and transfer settings

If it was any harder people like me and Andy wouldnt be able to do it :D :nuts:

What a load of old tosh. You just point it press a button, match the needle and set the readings on the camera, takes about 10 seconds.....foot candles WTF surely thats just dangerous. :)

What the hell was that? It takes no time at all to meter a scene, and not like that!

Thank God! That clip really freaked me out :shake:.

Ignore that video, it's as simple as Andy puts it, pick an area to meter for, point the meter at it, press the button and transfer settings

If it was any harder people like me and Andy wouldnt be able to do it :D :nuts:

OK, if you say so, Rob :LOL:.

foot candles WTF surely thats just dangerous. :)

Errmmm "foot candles" is the scale that is used at the top of the meter. Having watched that video she does seem to make it a lot more complex than it needs to be.

Andy if you are using a meter for landscapes then ignore the video and just take a reading and transfer the information to the camera. When you get one post up what it is and we will confuse help you out :)

A link to the instruction manual for the Sekonic L 308 Studio that she was using. It is a very nice and easy meter to use I had one on loan a few years ago.

http://www.sekonic.com/Portals/0/Products/LF_L-398A_E.pdf

Note meter scale is Foot Candles :LOL:

erm I got about sixteen 35mm film cameras bought for peanuts that can be used to give an exposure reading, and any camera can also be used for backup with a film in it :)

Errmmm "foot candles" is the scale that is used at the top of the meter. Having watched that video she does seem to make it a lot more complex than it needs to be.

Andy if you are using a meter for landscapes then ignore the video and just take a reading and transfer the information to the camera. When you get one post up what it is and we will confuse help you out :)

A link to the instruction manual for the Sekonic L 308 Studio that she was using. It is a very nice and easy meter to use I had one on loan a few years ago.

http://www.sekonic.com/Portals/0/Products/LF_L-398A_E.pdf

Note meter scale is Foot Candles :LOL:

Yes Nick, the L-398a III looks like it might be the best meter for me to use with my TLR. I don't think that the L-308s (digital) would be much of an improvement over it, as I don't really use studio flash.

The L-208s is nice in that it is hot-shoe mountable, but that's outweighed by the fact that it runs on a battery and isn't as well built (allegedly) as the 398.

I guess that I just need to get one, make some readings and try transferring them to my DSLR to make some test shots with :shrug:. It can't be all that hard to use a light meter, I suppose :thinking:.

So, after only a couple of days of deliberation, I have chosen my first ever light meter :naughty:. Tempted though I was by the 'old school' ways of the Sekonic L-398a, I subsequently read that (with its selenium cell) it was not a great performer in 'low light' :| and a high percentage of the 'landscape' stuff that I plan to do involves shady, secluded side streets and possibly extreme sunrise/sets too.

Consequently, I went back and looked again at the first meter which caught my eye - the Sekonic L-308s. After watching a YouTube vid (by this very pleasant chap :) Linky ...), I realised that this meter would be a lot simpler and (perhaps importantly) faster in my hands than the old analogue type. Accuracy is the most important thing though and the 308 looked as though it would give better results in low light (as well as actually being easily visible in said low light, courtesy of the backlit LCD display :naughty:).

So, I found one at a fair price and decided to take advantage of the current range of funky '60th anniversary' colours and get myself a metallic blue one :D ...

Link ...

As I said before, it hurts to get such a fantastic camera (Mamiya C330f) and lens for so little money (£150) and then have to go and spend nearly the same money again, just to get a Chinese(?) plastic tool to work out the exposure values, but that's MF photography for you I suppose :shrug:!?

Ultimately though, it's still all cheap comapred to what I was spending on DSLR (and even SLR) kit just a year ago, so I'm not really complaining ... honest :p!

Once again, I thank everyone who helped me to answer my own questions and nudge me in the right direction. I really look forward to the day that I can post my first MF neg scans here - taking my first steps into a (truly) 'bigger' world :D.

Last edited:
HMMMM! Yes the 308s does have the added advantage of Flash metering but in some respect it might be easier to use as all the info is digitally displayed to the user for example you hit the button and it will tell you say 5.6 @ 125, clicking the button on the side simply moves the values up or down depending on what you want to do (I did have one of these but traded it for a Minolta IV F meter).

The L398a III is good but as it is not battery powered once the light starts to fade, so twilight, early evening then it may struggle to get an accurate reading. Mind you if your shooting during the day then it does not matter. :)

But no it is not hard to use a light meter, just takes a little getting used to thats all :)

OOOOOHHHHH Cobblers and damn my slow typing skills :LOL:

HMMMM! Yes the 308s does have the added advantage of Flash metering but in some respect it might be easier to use as all the info is digitally displayed to the user for example you hit the button and it will tell you say 5.6 @ 125, clicking the button on the side simply moves the values up or down depending on what you want to do (I did have one of these but traded it for a Minolta IV F meter).

The L398a III is good but as it is not battery powered once the light starts to fade, so twilight, early evening then it may struggle to get an accurate reading. Mind you if your shooting during the day then it does not matter. :)

But no it is not hard to use a light meter, just takes a little getting used to thats all :)

OOOOOHHHHH Cobblers and damn my slow typing skills :LOL:

Never mind, Nick - what you wrote appears to be in support of my final decision (to get the L-308s), so I'm happy now :).

Having given this further thought, I can also see that the L-308s might actually enable me to get the flash exposure right when using my old Nikon SB-15 flash guns on any of my Nikon SLRs :naughty:. I made some test exposures with the flash once, but they came out looking terrible. If I connected the Sekonic meter and fired the 'test' flash button on the SB-15, I could at least see if I had the 'correct' speed/aperture set on the camera :shrug:.

That said, I think that my 35mm film days may soon be over :| - unless a much better scanner falls from the sky of course :p!

The 308s doesn't have a backlit LCD screen by the way, but I never found it to be a problem - and I've shot in some pretty dark places!

The 308s doesn't have a backlit LCD screen by the way, but I never found it to be a problem - and I've shot in some pretty dark places!

:| Oh, bummer!

I must admit, I didn't actually read anywhere that it had, but I saw a few articles like this one, where is appears to have a grey screen in one shot and a bright green/blue one in another shot ...

Link ...

As it runs on a battery, I didn't think it unreasonable to expect a backlight, but I usually have a mini torch with me, so I guess I'll manage ;).

Thanks for the heads up anyway, Lloyd (y).

I've got a 308s and I've never bemoaned the lack of a backlight. I kind of figure that if I can't read the lightmeter it's probably too dark for me to be taking photographs.

Well don’t do what I did when I first tried an 308s, which was to wander around with it in the palm of my hand like it was an old Gossen or Weston while staring at the readout. Took me a while to work out that I was always getting a good exposure reading from my nose, and not what I thought I was pointing the meter at. :nuts:

I've got a 308s and I've never bemoaned the lack of a backlight. I kind of figure that if I can't read the lightmeter it's probably too dark for me to be taking photographs.

I always thought of it like that as well. The L-308s is a great meter, it is expensive but its a worthwhile investment IMO... and their second hand value holds well.

Well don’t do what I did when I first tried an 308s, which was to wander around with it in the palm of my hand like it was an old Gossen or Weston while staring at the readout. Took me a while to work out that I was always getting a good exposure reading from my nose, and not what I thought I was pointing the meter at. :nuts:

Thanks for the tip, I will try to remember that :p.

I always thought of it like that as well. The L-308s is a great meter, it is expensive but its a worthwhile investment IMO... and their second hand value holds well.

Yes, f2, I tend to agree on both counts. It's not often that I regret buying anything of quality and the 308s may well turn out to replace the meters in my 35mm SLRs, as well as possibly enabling me to use the flash guns that I have for them (which only look good when 'bounced', but cannot meter for bounce flash at all.

Also, the used ones that I saw this week were selling at over 80GBP each, so I didn't mind spending the extra for the piece of mind of having a brand new unit.

Anyway, it's turned out to be quite thread, this one :). Usually, when people post very vague questions (like the one in my OP) in other parts of this forum, the response is less than helpful :|. In this dusty little corner of the photographic community :D, the people seem to have more time for each other - I like that!

:)

In this dusty little corner of the photographic community :D, the people seem to have more time for each other - I like that!

:)

Indeed we do have more time for each other in F&C and we also regularly meet up for a group hug :hug2:

Don't be scared, we're all friends here........:hug::love:

So, after only a couple of days of deliberation, I have chosen my first ever light meter :naughty:. Tempted though I was by the 'old school' ways of the Sekonic L-398a, I subsequently read that (with its selenium cell) it was not a great performer in 'low light' :| and a high percentage of the 'landscape' stuff that I plan to do involves shady, secluded side streets and possibly extreme sunrise/sets too.

Consequently, I went back and looked again at the first meter which caught my eye - the Sekonic L-308s. After watching a YouTube vid (by this very pleasant chap :) Linky ...), I realised that this meter would be a lot simpler and (perhaps importantly) faster in my hands than the old analogue type. Accuracy is the most important thing though and the 308 looked as though it would give better results in low light (as well as actually being easily visible in said low light, courtesy of the backlit LCD display :naughty:).

So, I found one at a fair price and decided to take advantage of the current range of funky '60th anniversary' colours and get myself a metallic blue one :D ...

Link ...

As I said before, it hurts to get such a fantastic camera (Mamiya C330f) and lens for so little money (£150) and then have to go and spend nearly the same money again, just to get a Chinese(?) plastic tool to work out the exposure values, but that's MF photography for you I suppose :shrug:!?

Ultimately though, it's still all cheap comapred to what I was spending on DSLR (and even SLR) kit just a year ago, so I'm not really complaining ... honest :p!

Once again, I thank everyone who helped me to answer my own questions and nudge me in the right direction. I really look forward to the day that I can post my first MF neg scans here - taking my first steps into a (truly) 'bigger' world :D.

WTF £125 for a light meter for use on an old camera that might have inaccurate shutter speeds or the iris on lenses may not be accurate. :eek:

WTF £125 for a light meter for use on an old camera that might have inaccurate shutter speeds or the iris on lenses may not be accurate. :eek:

I thought that made more sense than 35 quid for a 40 yr old selenium cell meter that had been left out in some camera shop window, for use on an old camera that might have inaccurate shutter speeds or the iris on lenses may not be accurate ... but then that's the sort of crazy, impulsive fool that I am :bonk:.

;)

I thought that made more sense than 35 quid for a 40 yr old selenium cell meter that had been left out in some camera shop window, for use on an old camera that might have inaccurate shutter speeds or the iris on lenses may not be accurate ... but then that's the sort of crazy, impulsive fool that I am :bonk:.

;)

I think it does make more sense to buy a reliable light meter rather than a potentially dodgy 40 year old one, it's unlikely that the iris on the Mamiya lens will be inaccurate and if you are consistent with your meter reading you are reducing the variables and will soon discover whether the shutter is 'out'.

I do recommend giving the shutter speeds a good work out before you use it in anger, just spend a little while cocking the shutter and firing it a good few times it can be easier to do this with the lens off the camera.

I think it does make more sense to buy a reliable light meter rather than a potentially dodgy 40 year old one, it's unlikely that the iris on the Mamiya lens will be inaccurate and if you are consistent with your meter reading you are reducing the variables and will soon discover whether the shutter is 'out'.

I do recommend giving the shutter speeds a good work out before you use it in anger, just spend a little while cocking the shutter and firing it a good few times it can be easier to do this with the lens off the camera.

Thanks Nick, I'll follow that advice as the seller told me that he hadn't used the camera for over a year (although he swears that it was working fine before that :cautious:).

I'm hoping that the parcel will arrive either today or tomorrow, so I might soon be back with some, "What is this button/switch/lever for" type questions :p.

I've thoroughly loved reading every post in this thread, very informative (y) ; Thanks Andy, for starting it off, and for all the great contributors.

..but Andy has two digital cameras, at least use them initially to check any camera out........and all separate exposure meters are theoretical in that how does it know what amount of light is going through the lens and camera to the film, when the lens is stopped down. Olympus OM owners will now stand up and say "yeah their cameras measure the final exposure on the film plane with a film loaded" ;)

Last edited:
The C330 are not hard to work out but if you get stuck here is link to the manual

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/mamiya/mamiya_c330f_prof/mamiya_c330f_prof.htm

Have fun with your new toy

Thanks Nick! Duly downloaded (y).

I've thoroughly loved reading every post in this thread, very informative (y) ; Thanks Andy, for starting it off, and for all the great contributors.

Hi Wail,

Yep! It's been a good thread, hasn't it :)!? Lots of insight from those in the know and a great deal of politeness and patience from all concerned :clap:.

For a while, I'm ashamed to say, I gave up posting on TP. I felt that it had become a haven for 'smart asses' and trolls, where it was often impossible to get a straight answer or put forward an opinion without being either interrogated or ridiculed :shake:. Mind you, this part of the fourm is anything but.

..but Andy has two digital cameras, at least use them initially to check any camera out........and all separate exposure meters are theoretical in that how does it know what amount of light is going through the lens and camera to the film, when the lens is stopped down. Olympus OM owners will now stand up and say "yeah their cameras measure the final exposure on the film plane with a film loaded" ;)

You're completely right of course, Brian, I could just (well, almost) as easily have used a DLSR with a 50mm lens on to do some form of metering and would have saved the extra initial expense of the light meter. Unfortunately for my bank balance though, I don't always do the smart thing and like to have 'all the proper toys' when I get into something new :D.

I did note and appreciate your suggestions though ;).

Well Andy the important thing is you are doing what you want...and I'm a bit of a cheap skate and try to do things the cheapest way :)

Well Andy the important thing is you are doing what you want...and I'm a bit of a cheap skate and try to do things the cheapest way :)

:D Nothing wrong with that, Brian!

I've tried to be a cheap skate in the past, but I just don't have the 'right stuff' for it :(. It always starts with me buying something because it's much cheaper than the thing that I really want, but somehow I always end up buying the thing that I wanted in the first place :thinking:. So for me, being a cheap skate is very, very expensive :LOL:.

I have been using my D40 as the Yashica Mat doesn't have a light meter.

.......unfortunately had to come home early last night as the "light meter" battery was flat! :(

Heather

I have been using my D40 as the Yashica Mat doesn't have a light meter.

.......unfortunately had to come home early last night as the "light meter" battery was flat! :(

Heather

Doh! :D

Have you already had film developed from the Yashica/D40 combo and how were the exposures, Heather :)?

Back