Canada Trip - Anyone been?

Matt.

Judge Dredd
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in the process of planning my first real trip on my own, and my first holiday for quite a few years! The current 'plan' is to go to Toronto for a few days (maybe 5) and take a trip out to Niagra Falls, then fly to Vancouver for 10days or so. In Vancouver there's whale watching and loads of sight-seeing to do! i could also go to Whistler as it's a few hours away, and maybe Seattle.

Has anyone been to any of these places as i'm a bit lost as there are so many options, and i don't really know where to start with these things!

Just so you know, i'm young(ish), will be going on my own, in June, and for about 2 weeks.

I've been looking at flights to, and they lways seem to shock with their obscene pricing :D I can go with FlyZoom/AirCanada for about £700 (bigger seats for the long flights), or AirCanada for £550 (normal seats, but a LOT more choice on flights). Not sure on that one yet, spend money on more leg room (i'm 6ft3 or so), or spend the money elsewhere?

Anyway, i've probably not made a whole lot of sense there, but if anyone has any ideas, or wants to come along, then let me know (y)

I used to work there and would suggest you change the Toronto for Ottowa if its pictures you want

Don't we have a Canadian member?

I have been to Seattle quite a few times, have a friend there ! :) Is a great place, specially if you can travel a little, Mount Rainier is stunning ! but a bit fo a drive ! Car park i visited is at about 6400 feet if i remember ! and the mountain is 14410 feet !

Also drove up to Vancouver for the day, is only about 2 and half hours, be prepared for loads of questions at Customs but no problems getting in or out otherwise !

Have relatives near Ottawa too, going there this year possibly !

Jewel is from/near Toronto, so she may be able to help you out places to visit for photo opps !

Toronto is fantastic. I can highly recommend the glass floor at the top of the CN Tower! Niagra itself is quite tacky (think Canadian Blackpool), but the falls are amazing. We did a helicopter ride over the falls and got some amazing shots of which this is my favourite:
169e20355419937a1aef2284e6e76225.jpg

I lived near Toronto when I was 7 years old for a couple of years.

Cant remember much of the photo ops though....was more interested in the swimming and playing!! :D

Jewel is Canadian!

Was there over Christmas. Great place. Went to a place called Kamloops then up Jasper and down to Banff. That is like a Rockies trail. Great photo opportunities, great people, awesome time.

My In-Laws live in Kamloops and we are planning on moving there within the next couple of years.

Definately a place worth going, you really need to get outside of Vancouver though.

King.

I used to work there and would suggest you change the Toronto for Ottowa if its pictures you want

Oh really? I spent 3 weeks in Toronto and I never stopped shooting. I could easily spend years there taking more pics. I don't think I got around to posting them here either, as I was a bit busy at the time :)

CRW_1152-02.jpg

Thanks :) Toronto is THE photoblogging city, and I miss it for the community they have there.

Didn't one of the guys from the OcUK forum go over there to work/live a year or two back?

TerraS did, who's called Dave here. Thats who I stayed with last May/June :D

That's right, he was the other ***** who kept winning all the competitions :D

Toronto does seem like a decent place to visit. There may not be as much around as Vancouver (though i could be wrong!), but there seem to be some decent(ish) places to stay! (i'm going to stay in hostels, as i'm on my own and can meet people then!). I'm not sure what to do other than wonder around the city though? oh and a helicopter over Niagara, up the CN tower, and a Bluejays game :)

Vancouver does look stunning, but i'm also not sure what to do there :D other than going out on a kayak to sea the killer whales and other animals! , oh and take a sea plane ride (you can't go to Canada and not do that can you!?) Also, it doesn't seem so well equipped with good hostels as Toronto.

What i need to do is find some locals to show me around! :p

I spent 3 weeks just walking around the city really. There's a huge variety of things to see. All the little towns, the different streets, the waterfront, university area, etc. I'm sure if you were there for a week there would be plenty to see, the same with Vancouver.

We once had two weeks in the Rockies (Banff and Jasper) and a week in Vancouver.

The Rockies were awesome (Canada Eh) for the scenery and wildlife.

We saw Elk,Deer,Moose,Caribou,Mountain Goat,Bighorn Sheep,Ground Squirrel,Chipmunks,Blue Jays, Coyote, Bears,Hawks, Eagles etc etc.

What with the Mountain scenery and waterfalls it made for a great vacation.

We took a boat ride out of Victoria (on Vancouver Island) and saw seals,porpoises (sp?) and Killer Whales. We followed a feeding pod of Whales for about an hour. Great experience.

It was in 1996 and sadly well before I had an interest in photography although that does give us a reason to go back one day.

We flew into Calgary and drove over to Vancouver and then flew home from there.

I been to Toronto two times in the past years, and it's an amazing place to visit and walk (if the weather allows to), lots of pictures, but it's a great city.

Niagara it worth only one day trip. Plan to be there all day, it worth see it by day and night.

I have to say if you are short on money give Niagara a miss. Yes the falls are really neat but that is all there is to see and there is so much more you could be seeing. If seeing the falls is something you want to do before you die then go but otherwise have fun elsewhere.

I have to say if you are short on money give Niagara a miss. Yes the falls are really neat but that is all there is to see and there is so much more you could be seeing. If seeing the falls is something you want to do before you die then go but otherwise have fun elsewhere.
Agreed. I went for 2 days, the 2 hottest days of the year so far. 35c! I spent one day doing the tourist packages. Tour bus around Niagara, the boat ride, cable car ride (and i hate heights), up close to the falls, etc. Then I waited for night and got some shots of the lights and fireworks. The next day I went to the sea world type place, which was nice but oh so hot. Its well worth seeing the falls at night if you do go. Oh and you can watch Superman 2 and go "That kid would be so dead by now" :D

I think i should see Niagara, and it is a good excuse to get a helicopter ride! (y)

But as a city, Ottawa is boring, boring, boring!! Why do you think the Government are based there?
As Pete said previously, Toronto is vibrant, exciting and very busy. There are photo opportunities around every corner you turn, as the city and outlying 'burbs are just so diverse. There is always something going on every day, and you will quickly fill a week just walking around. Niagara is a must, especially if the weather is good.

Let me know when you're coming over as I'd be interested in doing some city shots with you. Maybe Jewel could meet up too.

Let me know when you're coming over as I'd be interested in doing some city shots with you. Maybe Jewel could meet up too.

That's the spirit :D The first overseas TP meet! The current provisional dates are June 1st-7th, not entirely sure though, but that's what i'm aiming for at the moment!

That's the spirit :D The first overseas TP meet! The current provisional dates are June 1st-7th,

Good for me, and it won't be too hot at that time of the year. Just don't come the end of July-August; it's exceptionally hot 'n humid then. Just noticed that the Jays are at home that week too, as are the newly formed Toronto FC. So you could maybe fit in a game, too.

Good for me, and it won't be too hot at that time of the year. Just don't come the end of July-August; it's exceptionally hot 'n humid then. Just noticed that the Jays are at home that week too, as are the newly formed Toronto FC. So you could maybe fit in a game, too.

Yeah, i've been looking into the sports stuff. It's not really my thing, BUT it's a good experience! What sort of weather would it be at that time of year? low to mid 20's?

More like in the mid to high 20's. It can very 'close' though, which is worse than the heat. I know some very good bars and patios to retreat to when the weather is too much.

The baseball is very cheap. $9 for the nose-bleeds, or if you go on a Tuesday it's only $2; Toonie-Tuesday's!. The footie is $15 for the cheapest ticket and $65 is the highest.

The baseball never sells out as the Jays are crap; compared to my Red Sox anyway!!! The footie will probably have tickets available. I can always get some in advance if need be. I guess I'll have to go and explore the city I've lived in for 2 1/2 years now so I can show you around :bonk: :bonk:

Does anyone know much about Vancouver? I'm struggling to find good places to stay :( i think i'm ok for hostels in Toronto, but if anyone has any recommendations then that would be great:)

Does anyone know much about Vancouver? I'm struggling to find good places to stay :( i think i'm ok for hostels in Toronto, but if anyone has any recommendations then that would be great:)

HI city centre in vancouver is nice, cheap, lots of folks from all over and theres a nightclub underneath! i stayed there last summer

if your over there hire a car and go upto whistler for a few days even in summers theres skiing and biking

my pictures from vic, vancouver and whistler are here > http://www.whitewashimages.co.uk/gallery

I'll only be in Vancouver for about a week, what would you suggest doing whilst there? :) (remember it'll just be me!). I'm thinking of a kayak tour to sea the killer whales, there are some 'interesting' photos of this on flickr!.

In my opinion 2 weeks is not enough! I lived in BC for 5 months last year but as I was working etc I didn't see as much as I'd like :(
June in Vancouver is roughly the same as in the UK, maybe slightly warmer and it could be hotter in Toronto - I'm not sure as I've never been but Jewel will be able to tell you more.

Also, I'm only 20 and have wandered round Vancouver alone at night, more happily than I would round Belfast :thinking: The people all seem friendly enough but obviously you do have to be careful where you go.

Other than that I can't think of anything except do you think there's any room for me and Stephen in your suitcase? :p

Back