Canon 1D Mk11N SD Card Problem.

Arkady said:
Should have bought a Nikon...:)

There's always one joker;)

CT said:
Whoa... it's just a leg pull. ;)

I know mate, I was pulling the same leg..

Settle down now chaps.. :LOL:

The good news is the camera has been deemed faulty and is to be replaced. The not-so-good news is they're still harder to get hold of than rocking horse crap at the moment, so I'm hoping I'm going to see the replacement this side of Christmas. :annoyed:

I'm not too bothered though, haviing used the camera for a short while, I'm happy I made the right choice. :)

Well at least now your suspisions have been confirmed. A nice shiney new camera to look forward to all over again. If it arrives just before Christmas it will feel like a proper Christmas present as well. :)

I am glad it has been resolved mate.

yep, better sorted now rather than later

Talking to Warehouse Express, it's seems the whole Canon DSLR range is in huge demand from the 350D upwards and they just can't get enough of them quickly enough. Business must be good.

A few quick comments on the 1DMK11N.

They've replaced the rather complicated color matrix settings with custom settings..

- Standard: for crisp, vivid images
- Portrait: optimizes colour tone and saturation and weakens sharpening
- Landscape: – for punchier greens and blues with stronger sharpening
- Neutral: – ideal for post-processing
- Faithful: - adjusts colour to match the subject colour when shot under 5200K
- Monochrome – for black and white with a range of filter effects (yellow, orange, red and green)
- Monochrome - toning effects (sepia, blue, purple and green).

Neutral is the obvious choice for RAW processing with the other settings giving great results with jpegs with the minimum of post processing. These same custom settings have been adopted in the 5D so no doubt will find their way into all the new cameras as they're introduced. So far I really like this idea, it's really quick to select a custom setting for a particular type of shot, and you can alter the parameters anyway if you wish. Further custom settings will be available for download from Canon, but there are none on their site as yet.

The 1:3 crop ratio is more significant than you may think - apart from the brighter viewfinder, my 50mm lens is effectively an 80mm on the 20D, while on the 1D it's 65mm, so there are quite substantial gains in FOV with wider lenses, though you'll just crop more at the tele end so you 'lose' a little there.

Spot metering and multi spot metering is a huge bonus. You can take up to 8 spot readings from key parts of your subject with the camera working out the optimum exposure as you go - really convenient for difficult situations.

One of the things which bugged me before I took the plunge and bought the camera was whether I'd see any significant jump in resolution from the 20D and I think the answer has be .." No ...hardly any", although the camera has a colour correction filter on the chip for more faithful colour rendition and it's supposed to produce slightly less noise, but let's be honest, the 20D is no slouch for producing low noise shots anyway. All that moolah just goes into making the camera, a fantastic photographic tool which is a pleasure to use, coupled with the weather proofing, and build quality, 45 point auto focus system, very logical operating system, you wont necessarily get better shots - you'lll just have less excuses for missing 'em. :D

I'd highly recommend one, just make sure the SD card slot works.

dod said:
yep, better sorted now rather than later

agreed... ;) It will make Christmas that bit better this time CT.. :thumb:

Just one more work on the matter...

N.....I.....K.....O.....N

:)

Arkady said:
Just one more work on the matter...

N.....I.....K.....O.....N

:)

And some for you mate... :flipoff:
Bart-arse.gif
.......... :D

Just had a call from WE. It seems I'm getting the replacement on Monday. :icon_cool

Fingers crossed! :whistling

Thats pretty quick :)
Good luck

It's something like that Jamey, may be a few more, I can't remember, and I only got to play with it for a few days. :( It shoots up to 48 full sized jpegs though, and then the buffer empties incredibly quickly.

You have to hear it in full flow to believe it, you can't believe that all the mechanical stuff which has to happen for each shot can work without shaking the camera to bits at that speed! :icon_eek:

I've heard a Nikon rattling off frames at a similar speed (some photographer taking pics of a chap outside work one day while I was walking in) and it is indeed pretty impressive. Made me want something more 'pro'.

God bless the recent introduction of 8GB CF cards, that's what I say.

you wont necessarily get better shots - you'll just have less excuses for missing 'em

I think that sums up the beast perfectly. Although the lightning fast AF is bloody handy and the 8.5 frames per second Jamey mentioned really boosts your chances with spray and pray stuff.

Really pleased for you that it's comming back so soon. :icon_cool

Well 8.5fps is great for action shots/sequences, but just banging off lots of frames at that rate in the hope of getting a good shot is pretty lame really, when you'd probably get a better result with a little anticipation and a lower frame/ buffer rate.

Don't forget either that at 5fps, the 20D is no slouch - it isn't that long ago that pro motor drives costing an arm and leg could only manage that. The frame rate on the 1DMK11N is great but it didn't figure too highly in my decison to get one. :)

but just banging off lots of frames at that rate in the hope of getting a good shot is pretty lame really, when you'd probably get a better result with a little anticipation and a lower frame/ buffer rate.

I know what you're saying and as someone who can spend a day setting up a shot the whole concept of frames per second is a rather strange one....

... but trust me, there will come a day when you're faced with a situation you can't anticipate the start of, just react to and if that situation only lasts half a second or so you'll be glad to have got 3 or 4 cracks at it. :)

dazzajl said:
Really pleased for you that it's coming back so soon. :icon_cool
Thanks Daz. The finance co rang on Wednesday to let me know the details of when the 9 months 0% started from. I told them that as far as I was concerned it didn't start till I had a fully working camera, and that if it dragged on too long, I'd be re-considering the whole deal anyway. They said they'd ring WE, so I guess WE have had a right kick up the bum, as they told me they didn't expect stock for some weeks.

Overall I really can't fault WE though. :)

dazzajl said:
... but trust me, there will come a day when you're faced with a situation you can't anticipate the start of, just react to and if that situation only lasts half a second or so you'll be glad to have got 3 or 4 cracks at it. :)

I hear ya. :D

Yeah I'm very happy with the 20D's five frames per second. Handy for a lot of things, one of which is when you're at a shutter speed too low for the length of the lens (usually due to poor light) so you fire off five in the hope that one comes out fairly crisp. It tends to work a fair amount of the time, as long as you don't push it with ridiculously low speeds.

CT said:
Well 8.5fps is great for action shots/sequences, but just banging off lots of frames at that rate in the hope of getting a good shot is pretty lame really, when you'd probably get a better result with a little anticipation and a lower frame/ buffer rate.

Don't forget either that at 5fps, the 20D is no slouch - it isn't that long ago that pro motor drives costing an arm and leg could only manage that. The frame rate on the 1DMK11N is great but it didn't figure too highly in my decison to get one. :)

Hi CT, out of interest why did you choose the 1DMK11N over the 5D? :ponders:

A few reasons really Ash.

Weatherproofing, spot and multi-spot metering, abiltiy to write to CF and SD cards (Imagine the back-up security of that alone) 8.5 fps, with huge buffering capability, 45 point auto focus system which is unbelievably fast. The camera is just awesomely specced overall.

The real advantage of going full frame is for landscape shots, which I don't get much chance to do - my interests are mainly walk around stuff and wildlife. To gain the full frame advantage from wildlife shots I'd have to fill the frame which involves buying extreme tele lenses which cost more than the camera. With the lenses I have for wildlife, I'd just end up cropping more of the shot with a full frame camera so there'd be no gain for me.

Full frame is also very demanding on the quality of your lenses, with some lenses showing fall off in image quality towards the edges and even vignetting when used on a digital full frame camera. My 100-400L for example is a known good performer on a crop sensor camera, but may well start to show it's weaknesses on a full frame camera. Also people complain of image edge distortion with some very wide lenses on a crop sensor and a full frame sensor is only going to highlight the problem more.

Overall, the 5D isn't the ideal camera for me, it's a 20D with a full frame sensor, and it's great value for money, in fact it would have saved me a few bob. If I was still doing weddings I would seriously have had to think about it, and that's the group mainly it will appeal to, and no doubt wean some of them away from medium format.

QUOTE=CT]Full frame is also very demanding on the quality of your lenses, with some lenses showing fall off in image quality towards the edges and even vignetting when used on a digital full frame camera. My 100-400L for example is a known good performer on a crop sensor camera, but may well start to show it's weaknesses on a full frame camera. Also people complain of image edge distortion with some very wide lenses on a crop sensor and a full frame sensor is only going to highlight the problem more.

Yeah I know what you mean as far as full frame being demanding on the quality of your lenses. I'm hoping to start doing some weddings, which is why I decided on the 5D. But I think it's going to be very expensive to find the right lenses to do it justice, which is money I don't have at this time.

ASH said:
I'm hoping to start doing some weddings, which is why I decided on the 5D. But I think it's going to be very expensive to find the right lenses to do it justice, which is money I don't have at this time.

It doesn't have to be that expensive, I covered my weddings on film with a 28-80 and a 24mm for the larger groups and interior shots.

The only thing I'd say is that once you're charging and you're THE photographer, you need a spare body and a spare flashgun - essentials you can't do without, things have a habit of going wrong just at the wrong moment and paying customers will expect you to have spare kit. :)

Well it arrived at 8am on the dot. I put the battery straight on charge, and I've just formatted both the CF and SD cards without any problem and taken and retreived shots from both cards. :icon_cool

Curious though...

The camera by default creates Folder 100 and shows the number of exposures in that folder. The first camera was showing well over 600 exposures. I didn't notice this for an hour or so, but there was no way at this time that I'd taken more than a couple of dozen exposures .

The replacement body was showing 100/0000. (zero exposures)

Hmmmm. :ponders:

Firstly :banana: on getting the beastie back. :icon_cool :icon_cool

As for the frame count, it seems that a new canon body can come out of the box with any number of shots logged. My first 1d body had about 1200 on it and the second one a few hundred.

From what I've heard it can be down to the camera not being reset fully after bench testing or on some, certain versions of firmware carry data in the shot log file.

Aparently, there was a batch of 20d's that showed over 20,000 frames taken. :shock:

I'm not sure that I believe either explanation TBH but there was nothing to suggest that either of the bodies I've had were not 100% fresh out of the box. :ponders:

Thanks for that Daz. I thought it might be something like that, presumably they do test the camera.

Fancy picking up a 20D showing 20K exposures! :shock:

SammyC said:
Can this be reset?

Well - yes, it's only the indication of the number of exposures taken in that default Canon 100 folder. As soon as you format the card it resets to 0 and deletes any other folders you've created, but always creates that Canon 100 folder again.

To find out the actual number of shutter actuations, there's software you can get which retrieves that info from the camera.

Unlike the 20D which creates a new file every 50 exposures, this one doesn't, which seems to be the reason you can get a new camera showing a lot of exposures in that file.

I only use the camera's USB port to get the images and you don't see any of that. Actually sometimes you don't see any photos and it can be a bit unreliable!

Back