Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Hi George, I have realised my mistake.
I second guessed that the supplied battery would be near to flat and was correct in doing so.
I put in my battery from my 1d MKiv
Turns out the shutter count shown under battery info is a little odd as the battery from the old 1d mkiv is its original and must have over 100k on it.
My 1D MKiv has over 130k between an original and two 3rd party batteries, which by the way won't work in the new 1dx MKii
A message shows asking if the battery is original with two options to choose, yes-no
choosing yes it knows it's not an original and says (text on screen) turning off for safety reasons to protect your camera.
I switched back to the supplied battery after I had fully charged and it showed 1 count after I used it then 2 after a second press and so on.
But still no meta data as far as I can see showing shutter count.
And no the box was sealed George.
Going on line now to claim my CFast card and reader although Pro-Active where I got mine supplied FOC a second 64gb Sandisk card so if I want to use that I will have to use the cable from camera to PC to get photos.
However, for the time being I'll just use my Lexar 32gb 1066 speed.

Simon, the 1 DX mks 1 and 2 both have an inbuilt "shots taken" display (in case you didn't know or RTFM!!)...it's in the 4th Tools heading on the menu, go to "system status display" this gives you s/no, firmware version and release cycles for the body to the nearest 1000.

Apologies if you already knew this, but I don't think the 1 D4 had this.

George.

Hi George I haven't had time yet to rtfm plus I had to down load it as the disk with it on wasn't being read due to win'doze' ten causing issues with my pcs dvd player not reading any disc's,
But certainly seems to be something to do with how many shots taken per battery charge and or when if card formatted as I had a job with very near the 1330 shots on the one card as mentioned in thread from earlier and when switching batteries the battery info shows 3 shots.
Yes I have looked under the system tools you mention and also you're correct the mkiv doesn't do this.
I found an astrological programme that gave an exact shutter count for the mkiv which was a small bonus and not the reason for using the software as the usual places didn't show the shutter count.
Never mind I am now struggling to register with the CPS as I now have enough equipment to re register again.
I got to the last page after filling in the forms and pressed submit but nothing happened.
I suspect I'll have to phone them.
Hoping to go and meet some mates tonight for seascape shots but it's raining hard.
Blimey new toy and nothing to use it for.
Oh well a family portrait plus official photographer for a Gala Saturday plus local kite surfing with a Guiness world record attempt for 500 kite surfers all out surfing at the same time this weekend should give it a proper try out.
Thanks for the advice.

Kite surfers should be fun....let's see the shots, Simon!!

AF is just brilliant so far, I thought the mk1 was amazing but the mk2???.....time will tell!!

George.

I use the Canon 100-400mm L II with a 25mm extension tube for my dragonfly shots. With the mk1, focussing would always hunt before locking on, now it locks on very quickly so much improved.

Well I thought the mk1 was pretty good but this promises an even better performance, especially under difficult conditions.

This was shot at the Inn on the Beach Hayling Island yesterday and no flash used, hand held at 1/20 sec f/9 iso 25600 AND it still auto focused at F/9!
I then checked what was on the back of the screen and compared it to what was in front of me and to see the colours, shadows lights etc were as exact as I could compare.
I did this to ensure that this was straight out of camera straight out of box no sharpening or noise reduction in LR nor PS.
This is the resized facebook version copied back to my PC to get rid of the serial number etc
1D X MK II 16-35 F/4 L at 16mm
FACEBOOKCOPY.jpg

.....hand held at 1/20 sec f/9 iso 25600 AND it still auto focused at F/9!
.....1D X MK II 16-35 F/4 L at 16mm
It will have focused at f/4 and then stopped down to f/9 for the shot.......phase detect focus is performed with the lens at maximum aperture.

Bob

Hmm silly me your spot on Bob of course that's what it's doing.

Just me getting over excited with my new toy and forgetting something I learned (but forgot) some long time ago!
Anyhoo, your kind correction got me thinking and so I put on my 100-400 MK ii plus my 1.4ext MK iii and at the 400mm end checked out the f/8 auto focus.
I am in a small lounge with a very dim single tungsten bulb but it still locked on in a heart beat.
f/8 1/200 sec 560mm equivalent and ISO 25600 also hand held.
Object on window cill I measured it as well and it was 11 feet away.
Oh also straight out of camera.

Here's a quiz, what is the object in the photo?
The object is photograph related by the way.
Quiz.jpg

It looks crimping tool to fix colour slide positives into plastic frames ?

Almost Bob, it was used to clip out a perfect sized passport photos.
However, this one has the older style corners clipped (rounded) which the requirements now mean square corners.

Just been to collect my mk2 this morning and waiting for battery to charge up :) , My box has no green/white English instruction booklet with it have other UK buyers found theirs to be missing or do Canon now not supply these anymore ?

English instruction book in mine, Kev.

No instruction book with mine either and it's a UK model! Are they supposed to be included? I just assumed that the disc was all you got, it's a bit of a pain.

Last edited:
This f8 af is looking good after some playing today.....

I took receipt of my new IDX ii two weeks ago, the third to be delivered to LCE apparently, as I had been on the preorder list since it opened. I have never used a 1 series before, as my other bodies are a 5D mk iii and a 7D mk ii. SO far I am delighted with the auotofucus - having shot a 14 frame 1 second burst on one of my cats running full tilt straight at me and EVERY frame was in focus on the eyes! as for noise etc, I am still learning this body but as yet no massive difference noticeable on the 5D iii but I have not shot the side by side to compare images.

BTW no instruction manual with mine either and a full English version from Canon via LCE

No manual with mine just 30 different language quick ref pages and a CD with a pdf manual.

I am copying a post from CanonShaun which he put in a separate thread, and it's probably going to get more attention here....

"Having just taken delivery of my new Canon body in the last two weeksI am wondering if any other members have yet used the 1DX ii for birds in flight photography. If so, I would be pleased to hear of your experiences and what custom or case scenarios you have tried. I have had three outings now so still very much getting used to this body having stepped up from a 5D mark iii and a 7d mark ii"

Personally I haven't used mine enough to have an opinion, has anyone else?

I'm going to start on AF setting 2, and perhaps the large focus area option which wasn't on the mk1, to see how that works.

Just been doing some tests on the F8 performance with a 400 DO mk2 and a 2x adaptor.

Very quick af and locking on to subject (an eagle some distance away against the sky) ...really impressive compared to the mk1 which really struggled at f8 and of course only had the centre plus 4 useable and hunted a lot.

One peculiar anomaly however.... by default modes C2 and C3 were not enabled, I had to do this from the settings.

Haven't had much chance to see if the noise and DR are much improved, but the files look ok.

One thing to be careful of, however, if you enable the "distortion correction" in lens aberration correction settings, you can't set the "Magnification-actual size" on playback from selected point - it will magnify from the centre.

This has to be disabled (although it is by default).

George.

No instruction book with mine either, poor show given how much you can do with the camera.

Has anyone received their bundled Cfast card and reader yet? - still waiting for mine - wonder if it will take the same amount of time that the camera did. Notice customers in US got theirs with the camera.

Also if you bought your camera from B and H they was also giving away a 3TB hard drive
No instruction book with mine either, poor show given how much you can do with the camera.

Has anyone received their bundled Cfast card and reader yet? - still waiting for mine - wonder if it will take the same amount of time that the camera did. Notice customers in US got theirs with the camera.

...and a lovely paper instruction manual!!!:):LOL:

Contacted Canon re mannual - told that I would need to buy one, just shy of £30.

In US it comes with the camera along with Cfast card and reader whilst in the UK we have to mess about with applying for it and waiting 28 days - what lousy service.

Its a complex piece of kit so a manual is vital.

Last edited:
Contacted Canon re mannual - told that I would need to buy one, just shy of £30.

In US it comes with the camera along with Cfast card and reader whilst in the UK we have to mess about with applying for it and waiting 28 days - what lousy service.

That's unbelievable!!....on a body of that price they don't supply a paper manual!!...Yes as you say in the US it comes with a paper manual, a Cfast card and reader all bundled together!!

Its a complex piece of kit so a manual is vital.
Just looked one E bay they have printed they are selling printed copies for £13 , I got one for my mum for her G10 its good quality and is printed on A5 paper with ring binders . Think i'.m going to get one

I download all manuals for everything and put them on my phone and do the same on my tablet. I've never even looked at the paper manuals for my 1DX and 6D.

Got mine few weeks ago - i think it took about 3 weeks from placing the 'request' for the card/reader.
Have to say it was strange how it wasn't bundled together with the camera.. but now that I have the CFfast card.. I wish Canon would have made the camera with two CFfast card slots.
Don't think my CF cards will see much use anymore...

Got mine few weeks ago - i think it took about 3 weeks from placing the 'request' for the card/reader.
Have to say it was strange how it wasn't bundled together with the camera.. but now that I have the CFfast card.. I wish Canon would have made the camera with two CFfast card slots.
Don't think my CF cards will see much use anymore...

I absolutely agree with you re the CFast cards, I see Nikon have the facility on the D5 to change (albeit at possibly significant cost) from CF to XQD if you originally bought the CF model.

I haven't seen any suggestion that it will be possible to do that in the mk2.

Still waiting for a race meeting to see if my one is any better since its visit to Canon for locking up and poor A/F but as they couldnt find anything wrong i expect its still the same.

Thanks, Joe, his stuff is usually pretty good, an interesting review.

I'm certainly finding a huge improvement using the 400 DO mk2 with a 2x converter, but the 2 different card types is a PIA.

None of my cameras before have I used with custom settings.
I set the 1dx mkii with a manual custom setting at f/8 and 1/30 sec by mistake.
However, after realising what I had done I have since decided this is a feature worth exploring given you can set a few different ones plus still have standard manual.
So question, what custom settings have you got and for each what are they for, sport, birds in flight, portraits etc?

Back