Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

You can't borrow another one from somewhere to try against yours, Glen?

Have exchanged cameras with another tog at BSB and run them side by side and he had the same experience with my camera with locking up.

Am in the process of trying to document as much as i can so to obtain an exchange camera but as my unit now has 10k clicks on it i think they are more set on a repair.

Would much prefer for them to replace the complete unit but only time will tell if that will be something they are prepared to do.

I just got email from Calumet and Park saying they have units in stock....

Are they still doing the deal with a CFast card and reader, Martin?

Looks like it till Oct.... but only the Canon send off for deal by the look of it.

Wex doing the email rounds early this morning saying they also have stock.

Carmarthen Cameras have at least 1 in stock and available.
Like someone else I've upgraded from the 7D mk i, and I've never had a 1 series before so the AF options are a tad scary! What AF mode and case would people recommend I start with for general birds in flight??

Nicky, I've been through all the options in both the mk1 and mk2 and I've decided on the mk2 that case mode 2 works pretty well and if you need to you can then play with the options.

George.

ps but it's a bit of a culture shock from a 7D mk1!!!

Nicky, I've been through all the options in both the mk1 and mk2 and I've decided on the mk2 that case mode 2 works pretty well and if you need to you can then play with the options.

George.

ps but it's a bit of a culture shock from a 7D mk1!!!

Thanks, I've set it on case mode 2, now I just need the rain to stop.

I can now pick up my 1dx2 but the problem is someone stole my Cards over the weekend and I am currently waiting for it to be sent to me

Decision now made to get a 1Dxii (in principle) this morning and I see thay are now 'in stock' at most of the usual UK retailers.

However, I'm questioning the expenditure from the perspective of, 'can I really justify this to myself'!! I'm a hobby tog, not a Pro, although I appreciate that I do have an enviable collection of glass etc.

With a couple of 5Diii's and a 7Dii being permanantly attached to some big glass, am I really going to notice a difference with a 1Dxii, except for the ability to move from Gold to Platinum with CPS which is obviously a reason in itself to get the camera...... NOT!!! :LOL:

I do wildlife (birds) when there is daylight and Aurora on the occasional nights that the magic happens. I've only just got to grips with LR/PS and this has made a dramatic difference to some of my historical captures. I'm sure it will for the future shots too, but will this pro camera make the same amount of difference again?

Decision now made to get a 1Dxii (in principle) this morning and I see thay are now 'in stock' at most of the usual UK retailers.

However, I'm questioning the expenditure from the perspective of, 'can I really justify this to myself'!! I'm a hobby tog, not a Pro, although I appreciate that I do have an enviable collection of glass etc.

With a couple of 5Diii's and a 7Dii being permanantly attached to some big glass, am I really going to notice a difference with a 1Dxii, except for the ability to move from Gold to Platinum with CPS which is obviously a reason in itself to get the camera...... NOT!!! :LOL:

I do wildlife (birds) when there is daylight and Aurora on the occasional nights that the magic happens. I've only just got to grips with LR/PS and this has made a dramatic difference to some of my historical captures. I'm sure it will for the future shots too, but will this pro camera make the same amount of difference again?
Im the same just a hobbiest lol

The thing is, my cards got stolen over the weekend and i am still waiting new ones. plus i am off abroad somewhere tomorrow and not back until sunday evening!

If you can afford it buy it John. Its just my hobby also and I was in two minds about getting the MkII as I already have the MkI.

The MkI is a lovely camera and in my, admittedly small, use of the MkII so far I'm happy I bought it. The improvement in AF is enought to warrant it as far as I'm concerned but with the sensor improvements in terms of dynamic range and the noise control being slightly better with an increase in MP that's the icing on the cake.

Had a 5D3 and loved it, sold it for a 7D MkII and then wished I hadnt. Sold the 7D for a 6D for Astro photography but missed having that second high speed body as a back up and that pretty much led me to the 1DX MkII as the fabled 5D4 is as elusive as the 7D MKII was.

Yes it's expensive, 4.5 times the cost of the 7D MkII. Is it 4.5 times the camera, of course not. The 7D does 90% of what the 1DX MkII will do. It's the final 10% you're paying for. You've got the best lenses, the 1DX MkII is the best body to go with them.

Hmm.. I am having roughly the same arguments with myself. I watched the (biased) presentation at the Photo Show in March by Andy Rouse. My 7d2 is so noisy compared with the 5D3... It seems to be both together with much less noise... But as you say, it's a huge amount of money. On the other hand, if you have the money, life is too damn short not to get this piece of kit.

Hmm.. I am having roughly the same arguments with myself. I watched the (biased) presentation at the Photo Show in March by Andy Rouse. My 7d2 is so noisy compared with the 5D3... It seems to be both together with much less noise... But as you say, it's a huge amount of money. On the other hand, if you have the money, life is too damn short not to get this piece of kit.
Oh you're all making me feel so much better. I am also a hobbyist, though I have sold the odd photo.... and I've just had a savings bond mature....and I'm not so young anymore.... though I am a bit worried about the extra weight.

I have a 5D3 and a 7D2. I'm also disappointed by the noise of the 7d2 compared to the 5D3 and I also find the crop difference irritating.

I talked to Andy Rouse at the Photography Show - I find the metering being along the right hand side of the 7D2 viewfinder can catch me out (it is at the bottom on the 5D3), and I wanted to know what it was like on the 1DXii. It's the same as the 7D2 - to be honest Andy was a little harsh I felt, telling me that professionals would only ever use two cameras of the same model. Tail between my legs, I wandered off....

Advice please.
I am seriously considering upgrading to the 1DX mk 2. I currently have a 5Dmk 3 and a 7Dmk2 I will loose the extra reach of the 7D Mk 2 but will I get the same image quality if i enlarge the 1Dx Mk 11 image to the same ratio? Are there any disadvantages to this upgrade, I mainly shoot landscape and sport, both at an amateur level.

Bebop... Not sure how to quote just a bit of your post..

Hmm.. I asked Andy Rouse a question about something around 4 years ago; he barely made eye contact with me and said about 5 words as he turned away. I don't know any successful well known wildlife photographers myself. What I think happens is, like my former boss at work, people who rise to a certain fame or position forget what it is like for those in a different circumstance or "lower" position and perspective is lost, often along with humility and respect. It costs nothing to be polite. It is a shame that he may have forgotten this. I know a professional who shoots sport around Europe from a local BBL club. He had last season 4 series 1 bodies and a 5D3 and he is charming and always helpful. No need to be unpleasant, as I have already said.

Not everybody can stretch to 2 of the same. I wouldn't want that because the two models do different jobs for me. He did show images that were allegedly shot at five figure isos that showed no noise that I could see on the big screen - well, normal sized screen not massive. Would I like 2 series 1 cameras? Yes, of course but I also wouldn't only want that because they are big and quite hefty. If I did decide to get a 1Dx2, I would keep my 5D3. Perhaps, if I could afford it, I would keep the 7D2 as well but as this is not happening in a hurry it is a moot point.

Carpe diem! You work hard... Life is too short and if it gives you real joy, go for it! If it will put you in financial long term difficulty, don't do it. Good luck deciding.

Last edited:
@Chipper - yes I think to be fair he didn't understand my question about where the the meter was, because he's probably only seen it on the right hand side for many years! We are many levels apart! He handed me the camera to check it out for myself, so I did at least get my question answered, even if I did feel a little dismissed!

I shall keep mulling it over and watching this thread. Good luck with your decision too! :)

George, I have tried Transcend compact flash and had no problems.
Can't say about their cfast but shouldn't see why they'd be any different.
Only thing to say after a very quick look lexar are 88 quid dearer for same size GBP1.00 but are 545/450 vs Transcend at 510/370 so a slight trade off but cheaper.

Good point, as I don't do video not sure how much that'll affect stills, wish it had just 2 CFast as has been said before.

Not sure this is wanted or allowed if not admin please remove.
Anyhoo...
I have created a Canon 1D X MK II Facebook group.
Just a thought and not trying to take anything away from here but at times putting up a photo or five! is limited understandably.
Here's the link.
Hopefully see a few of you there, cheers Simon.

Have exchanged cameras with another tog at BSB and run them side by side and he had the same experience with my camera with locking up.

Am in the process of trying to document as much as i can so to obtain an exchange camera but as my unit now has 10k clicks on it i think they are more set on a repair.

Would much prefer for them to replace the complete unit but only time will tell if that will be something they are prepared to do.

Any update on this, Glen??

BTW, spent an afternoon yesterday initially doing a lot of IS and AF with no shots then took over 1000 shots, mostly bursts of 6-20 of a sea eagle and chick, battery showed 79% left!!!!

A lot more than I expected!!....and I can't recall one OOF shot that wasn't user error!!

George.

George on the battery % I was at a Joust Festival Sunday.
Started with a 65% battery and empty 64gb Cfast and 2565 shots later one full card and still 10% battery.
Pretty chuffed as per Canons 1200 ish shots per battery charge
Someone else reported doing over 10k with a battery and over 2k of shots with a single set of batteries in their flash gun.
Thing is part of the battery life is down to length of time 'on' and time between shots and heat.
Anyhooo just thought I mention.
Anyone else had good results ie #number of shots on a single battery charge?

These figures are much better than I was getting on the mk1.

If you can afford it buy it John. You've got the best lenses, the 1DX MkII is the best body to go with them.
I told my wife today, that I had permission from 'GazJ' and she said........ who? !! :LOL:

She then proceeded to agree with the sentiment of what you said. Ten minutes later, my bank account balance had taken a direct hit and, although I haven't received it yet (maybe tomorrow, likely Friday), I can now call myself a 1Dxii owner in anticipation. :D

I've purchased the (UK) camera and a spare BP-E19 as well. Will just need to follow the instructions to claim my card/reader once it arrives, not to mention upgrading my CPS to platinum, which I suspect with be the first thing I do before opening the box..... NOT!!

If anyone has any suggestions for what I should do in the first few hours, I'm all ears! Doubtless, there will be a firmware upgrade to start off.....

Getting ever so slightly excited now. :D

John, sorry what are you upgrading from?

Firmware should be at 1.0.2.......

1st few hours???........af case 2 and find a high speed rabbit to shoot, then drool.....

George.

John, sorry what are you upgrading from? Firmware should be at 1.0.2.......
I have a couple of 5Diii's and a 7Dii just now. This will be my first 1 series body.

I'd heard that there was a firmware update to resolve the issue of images missing their lower halfs on the CFast card, but this may be old info from pre-UK release models. Besides, I won't have my fast card/reader for a couple of weeks anyway.

I have a couple of 5Diii's and a 7Dii just now. This will be my first 1 series body.

I'd heard that there was a firmware update to resolve the issue of images missing their lower halfs on the CFast card, but this may be old info from pre-UK release models. Besides, I won't have my fast card/reader for a couple of weeks anyway.
Just check the firmware in the camera when you get it, almost bound to be an upgraded one as the update was done weeks ago.....

Google isn't being particularly helpful - or maybe I'm using the wrong search terms - but these have 1xCF and 1xCFast card slot - are the card slots physically the same size? Just one allows the fast data transfer? Or are they physically different shaped and sized, so you can only have one card of each type in the camera - as in you can't use two standard CF cards if that's all you have to hand?

Google isn't being particularly helpful - or maybe I'm using the wrong search terms - but these have 1xCF and 1xCFast card slot - are the card slots physically the same size? Just one allows the fast data transfer? Or are they physically different shaped and sized, so you can only have one card of each type in the camera - as in you can't use two standard CF cards if that's all you have to hand?

The slots are physically pretty much the same size but the interface is quite different....you can'd stick a CF card in a CFast slot (unless you want an expensive repair!!) and they both allow high speed data transfer except the speed on the CFast is significantly faster than the old CF cards even the latest ones....goggle them and you'll get an explanation of the technology.

I think it's a pity they haven't put 2x CFast instead of 1 of each, an expensive upgrade but really CF is now superseded by CFast and XQD on the dark side,

Thanks - I was thinking if I did upgrade - I'd have to buy a CFast card as well - not a cheap add-on.... I was hoping that initially I could have used two x CF side by side... but now you've clarified they are different beasts - not just different internals in the same casing.

Welsh Chris, I have used both the compact flash and cfast cards.
The 1dx mkii has such a quick buffer I have not found it run out yet even with a compact flash card.
The card is a Lexar 1066 speed 32gb and so pretty much the fastest cf card.
I have even used the cf for video without glitch even 4k.
I do have the cfast card and reader and found I got 2565 photos of full raw with a 65% battery and 10% charge left over a 6hr paid.
I have also used the cf cfast together writing to the cf first with the cfast as backup due to the cf being 32gb and would run out of space first.
No problems with this either.

Ah yes - CFast card reader as well - the list goes on :)

Simon - I'd be happy with the CFast setup I'm sure - just happen to have a nice collection of 64gb CF cards with my 1D-X. I'd need a CFast card and a CFast reader to add to the list if I did upgrade. More $'s I don't quite have :) I can stick with the CF for now - but means I can only write to one card...

cymruchris, if you manage to buy a 1dx mkii before this info,
To participate in the promotion, the Participant must purchase the Promotional Product EOS-1D X Mark II between the 02.02.2016 and the 03.10.2016 AND make a valid claim online between 02.02.2016 and the 03.11.2016 inclusive.
You will get a Cfast card and reader free.
Here's a link to the claim page which also explains the T&C's
Basically buy one from a main dealer in your Country so I'm assuming (Wales) ie somewhere in the UK and photograph and send a jpeg of the receipt before the shut off date.
Calumet are offering up to 24 months interest free, Jessops and Wex 12 months interest free.
This is of course me taking you still thinking about upgrading from your comment above;
I'd need a CFast card and a CFast reader to add to the list if I did upgrade.
Anyhoo good luck...

cymruchris, if you manage to buy a 1dx mkii before this info,
To participate in the promotion, the Participant must purchase the Promotional Product EOS-1D X Mark II between the 02.02.2016 and the 03.10.2016 AND make a valid claim online between 02.02.2016 and the 03.11.2016 inclusive.
You will get a Cfast card and reader free.
Here's a link to the claim page which also explains the T&C's
Basically buy one from a main dealer in your Country so I'm assuming (Wales) ie somewhere in the UK and photograph and send a jpeg of the receipt before the shut off date.
Calumet are offering up to 24 months interest free, Jessops and Wex 12 months interest free.
This is of course me taking you still thinking about upgrading from your comment above;

Anyhoo good luck...

The very point I was about to make....however if you purchase a (horror of horrors!!) grey import then a CFast card and reader can be bought for around £230...that's the cheapest I've seen it.

My experience of CF is exactly as Simon's above, however.

The courier arrived about an hour ago, so I'm a bit of a happy chappie just now. Waiting for the batteries to charge and couldn't resist the ultimate accolade:

Your CPS Account
Photo
Membership level: Platinum

Aside from this being the my sole 'raison d'être' for buying the camera :facepalm: , I have to admit to a few things being a bit 'surprising' for such a costly beast.

Firstly, it only has an EU (2-pin) plug lead for the charger, despite being purchased form an official UK Canon Pro retailer. Secondly, as has been made apparent further up this thread, the lack of an instruction manual is woeful. Now, we can all download a pdf, but given the amount of paper in the box (in at least a dozen languages), I'm still put-out by the lack of a proper booklet, like I have for my 5D's and 7D's.

The quick guide gives no instruction on using the battery charger which is not as intuitive as a standard Canon single charger. I purchased a spare battery at the same time, so I currently have two in the charger with green lights flashing in different boxes. One green light (from the spare battery) is steady/constantly lit in the 2h indicator and the other (packaged with the camera) is flashing at the 14h indicator. I guessed that the steady state green lamp meant it wqas fully charged, but when inserted into the camera, it gave me only 1 bar in the LCD indicator - like it was almost out of charge.

Finally, there's a sticker on the box telling me about the free CFast card/reader, but I've yet to find something telling me how to go about claiming it. Fortunately, I see this has also been discussed earleir in this thread.

I suppose the only question I have is: Does a steady green 2h lamp indicate a fully charged battery?

Back