Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Looking at the comparison table, for me this completely undermines the DxO sensor scores. The mark 2 scores 1 point more than the 5DS, yet has significantly better score for ISO and dynamic range. How does that work?

I've always taken DXO mark scores with a pinch of salt Mark. My interest in their results really is based around the improvement in dynamic range in the lower ISO and this seems to confirm the claims that were made when the camera came out. I think that the small improvements across the camera do enough for me to get one now. When I can actually find a dealer that talks a bit of sense about delivery dates.

Oh well stroke of luck today. Found some 1DX MkII's in stock. Only problem is I have to wait a week before i get a chance to use it.

has anyone experienced the image corruption from Sandisk CFast cards?

Actually I've been using the CF card most of the time, but the few times I've tried the CFast there's been no problem.

George.

That's good to hear. Still waiting for mine from Canon.

Actually, I'll give it a go this week and report, but I don't actually turn my camera off, just leave it to shut down automatically and restart when I touch the shutter button!!

I've just tried to replicate the CFast problem with no success. Only had the CFast card in and tried switching off as soon as I'd taken a burst, nut all frames were ok.

Anyone else had a problem?

George.

Got my CFast card from Canon. First tests should no sign of the corruption, but I will update the firmware just to be sure.

Less than ten actual days (not working) to request and receive the card and reader.
I actually took delivery of the camera 3 weeks ago but only just remembered the offer of a free reader and card.
The dealer I purchased from gave a card themselves so now I have two Sandisk 64gb CFast cards :)
The reason I forgot to register was I went to Venice 3 days after getting the camera and was busy with things beforehand.

Another reason is that until now I have used the Lexar 32gb 1066 CF card and with the 1D mkIV and noticed this card to be quicker than the cameras buffer.
Having done a few tests and found the mk IV to have a 100mb ish buffer pass through rate.
Meaning the Lexars 160mb wasn't fully tested, of which it still hasn't been as I haven't yet used the 1D X mkII to its full speed yet!

On the Lexar side of things I see they here on with Amazon selling 64gb CFast 3500 speed for £152.85 inc p&p
Sandisk are £202 and 10mb slower for the same 64gb

Anyone here tried the Lexar and if so what results? Good or bad?

Finally got my hands on my MkII. Shutters a lot quieter. That's about as far as I've got.

2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 11.jpg 18.jpg
Spent an evening with friends along Hayling Island beach yesterday.

Last edited:
Less than ten actual days (not working) to request and receive the card and reader.
I actually took delivery of the camera 3 weeks ago but only just remembered the offer of a free reader and card.
The dealer I purchased from gave a card themselves so now I have two Sandisk 64gb CFast cards :)
The reason I forgot to register was I went to Venice 3 days after getting the camera and was busy with things beforehand.

Another reason is that until now I have used the Lexar 32gb 1066 CF card and with the 1D mkIV and noticed this card to be quicker than the cameras buffer.
Having done a few tests and found the mk IV to have a 100mb ish buffer pass through rate.
Meaning the Lexars 160mb wasn't fully tested, of which it still hasn't been as I haven't yet used the 1D X mkII to its full speed yet!

On the Lexar side of things I see they here on with Amazon selling 64gb CFast 3500 speed for £152.85 inc p&p
Sandisk are £202 and 10mb slower for the same 64gb

Anyone here tried the Lexar and if so what results? Good or bad?

No Simon, mine's the Sandisc that came with the camera, however I usually use Lexar and find them fine, so I'd have no hesitation in using them.

I'll be waiting for a bit of a price drop prior to any bulk purchase however!!

George.

Digital Rev now selling 1Dx mk2 for more than the UK list!!

Import agencies are seeing 5-10% increases in the price of Japanese products so it will depend on the margins and how they're divvied up between the various parties in the chain.

Bob

Not really had an opportunity to use mine much. What do you guys who have used them in anger think are the improvements?

My first thoughts were that the AF is even faster to acquire focus and that the repeatability in one shot is better.

Not really had an opportunity to use mine much. What do you guys who have used them in anger think are the improvements?

My first thoughts were that the AF is even faster to acquire focus and that the repeatability in one shot is better.

Gary, I never use one shot, never found it any better than AI servo. Was doing quite a lot of playing with mine and 2 lenses yesterday.

Firstly, I found with the 100-400 mk2 it 's tracking is much improved from the mk1 1Dx, it holds focus on the subject even with a confusing background...I was trying it with some Arctic terns which can be a good test.

My second tests were with the 400 DO mk2 and a 2x converter, i.e. at 800 f8 and again the results were excellent although I was photographing a static subject ( a white tailed eagle (sea eagle) chick which is about to fledge!!) and the af at f8 is extremely fast and accurate.

Overall, that's the main improvement for me, but a worthwhile one and sufficiently good to warrant the upgrade for my type of photography.

George.

Tried mine on a hill climb on Sunday but to be honest every shot was in focus so no real challenge there. Looking forward to trying it on BIF.

I generally use AI Servo but have the AE LOCK button set to one shot with a different focus case and AF point for occasional use.

I came across this yesterday on another site, it seems some people have been having a problem with the cfast card after it's been used a few times- it's write speed has been slowing down when it's almost full and the only way to resolve this is to use Sandisc's refresh programme.

I personally haven't had this issue as I've never filled the Cfast card, but here's the link anyway for the programme.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17370/~/cfast-2.0-full-format-and-refresh-tool

Be interesting to hear if anyone else has???

Oops, dunno why my font changed!!!

It seems Lexar cards don't suffer from the same problem.

George.

This problem was noted in the email sent from Canon and also suggested that Sandisks solution was to use this utility often to keep the card as new.
I would buy Lexar as I always have done but I now have one 64gb Sandisk via the offer and another the same via the dealer free as an enticement to pre-order through them.
However, this offer is still available, so much for pre order special offers!
Anyhoo to me given the cost of these cards 64gb at £200 ish a pop is too much to just throw away unless they cause me some real grief.
As soon as they do I shall be using the warranty for those card for replacements and or buying Lexar regardless.
Here's hoping I don't get such a problem.
Saturday just gone I used a Lexar 32gb alongside one of the 64gb Sandisks with write to both for back up reasons and no issues with just over 24gb written.
I realise that is nowhere near the full capacity of the Sandisk at 64gb but it was a reasonable test.
Oh and 1040 shots using the 1dx mk11 with an older 1d mkiv battery and still one bar left.

Last edited:
Ah I didn't get an email from Canon so hadn't seen this before... Apologies if duplicating something that you already know!!
I'll be sticking to lexar as well.... I've always used them and touch wood never had a problem!

Not a problem George.
I think it's because I'm registered with them for emails as once in a blue moon they email something worth while plus being on the CPS list.
Always worth the trouble to post news even if there are others who already know.
A big chance not everyone does :)

Last edited:
Not a problem George.
I think it's because I'm registered with them for emails as once in a blue moon they email something worth while plus being on the CPS list.
Always worth the trouble to post news even if there are others who already know.
A big chance not everyone does :)
....agreed!

Quick update

Having problems still with my MKII but was from the very first early batch into the UK.

Inconsistent A/F performance on shots my 1DX nails every time and frequent lockups when using high frame rate in RAW shooting motorsport.

Think i just have a faulty camera but would be interesting to know if anyone that shoots sports with big whites is having a similar problem?

Have had a PCB replaced by Canon but have fallen back to using my 1DX for paid work as i just cant trust the MKII.

Quick update

Having problems still with my MKII but was from the very first early batch into the UK.

Inconsistent A/F performance on shots my 1DX nails every time and frequent lockups when using high frame rate in RAW shooting motorsport.

Think i just have a faulty camera but would be interesting to know if anyone that shoots sports with big whites is having a similar problem?

Have had a PCB replaced by Canon but have fallen back to using my 1DX for paid work as i just cant trust the MKII.

Glen, I'm having no such problems, AF better than mk1, no lockups (only tried bursts of say 15 though)

Using a 400 DO mk2 on it's own and with 1.4 and 2x converters.

Sounds faulty to me?....

George.

Glen, I'm having no such problems, AF better than mk1, no lockups (only tried bursts of say 15 though)

Using a 400 DO mk2 on it's own and with 1.4 and 2x converters.

Sounds faulty to me?....

George.

Im sure its just an early faulty unit as i know of a few other people that received cameras the same time as myself that had similar problems with lockups and large whites.

I just seem to be stuck in catch 22 at the moment as neither Canon or WEX will exchange the faulty camera so im back to the original 1DX at this time as i cant trust the MKII for motorsport.

Hope that after a few returns with photos and video to back my complaint up that it may be exchanged for a later serial camera but if not then as wrong as it is i will be selling it back to WEX and buying a later unit at a loss.

Im sure its just an early faulty unit as i know of a few other people that received cameras the same time as myself that had similar problems with lockups and large whites.

I just seem to be stuck in catch 22 at the moment as neither Canon or WEX will exchange the faulty camera so im back to the original 1DX at this time as i cant trust the MKII for motorsport.

Hope that after a few returns with photos and video to back my complaint up that it may be exchanged for a later serial camera but if not then as wrong as it is i will be selling it back to WEX and buying a later unit at a loss.

I assume you've contacted Elstree???...

I assume you've contacted Elstree???...

Yes,it has been back and had a PCB replaced but still locks up on the 500 f4 and 300 f2.8 at race meetings.

First few laps its firing off probably in excess of 100 frames in RAW over 30 or so seconds to capture the riders on an out lap which is when it locks up and the focus becomes erratic.

Once it starts to lock the only way to get it to work again is a battery pull but even then when you partly push the shutter button to gain focus you see the red A/F point disappear and the top and rear display stay on and render the on/off switch useless.Have also noticed the shutter locks open and doesn't return until the battery is removed from the camera.

Its fine when used in single shots or short bursts but at the critical time i need it in the first few laps it just cant be trusted.

Canon cant find anything wrong hence i am now trying to gather video evidence of the fault but my race weekends are every two weeks.

Proper stuffed.

That's not at all good, are you able to go in to Elstree and show them the fault?....that might be the only way, but also under sales of goods it ain't fit for purpose.

That's not at all good, are you able to go in to Elstree and show them the fault?....that might be the only way, but also under sales of goods it ain't fit for purpose.

In all honesty for BIF and just playing around with the kids it never fails but on race days its a complete mare,short of taking a rep trackside the best i can do is try and video it during a live race meeting but again its at a time when each shot counts for the people i work for hence the catch 22.

Keep on hoping that a firmware way be released for this fault but the very few people in a similar position to myself have either had the faulty units replaced by their employers or are going through the same battle as myself at this time.

Have seen some great images produced by the camera so am convinced it was just a few of the early models that had a problem but its a shame that one or two are not owned by agencies but private individual photographers.

My one only fails with the bigger lenses shooting RAW in bursts of three or four images over an extended period with objects traveling straight at the camera at speed,side pans and static shots it will fire all day at without a single fault so its as if the drain from the A/F is causing a problem.

Will keep you updated on my progress over the next few weeks.

Single shot stuff with the 85 F1.2 or 70-200 its fine with to be honest.

It shows back focus on objects coming towards it and front focus on objects going away from it the majority of the time when it doesn't lock up.

Last edited:
You can't borrow another one from somewhere to try against yours, Glen?

Back