Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Almost any modern lens at f/8 should be inconsequential when looking at the noise signature.

As I understand it noise will show up regardless of the lens used and exposure has a great bearing on the quantity of noise in an image. I have yet to see an image absolutely free of noise but monitors will always show much more noise than will be visible in a print.

I think this noise thing comes from early sensors that were much more prone to noise and people wanted to over-expose to compensate for that.

However, if you start doing serious exposure corrections and heavy saturation type edits this will definitely also aggravate noise issues and bring some further problems to the party. There are also compression and sharpness issues that come with various net-based platforms but I will let the pros explain those...

Almost any modern lens at f/8 should be inconsequential when looking at the noise signature.
As I understand it noise will show up regardless of the lens used and exposure has a great bearing on the quantity of noise in an image..
Perhaps I should explain the reasoning behind my statement.....You're correct, Anton....noise is independant of the lens but our perception of the noise isn't.

Noise is sharp....it's visible on a pixel by pixel basis. A soft lens will smear a point source of the subject across several pixels (as would any detail outside the plane of sharp focus).
Therefore it's easier to quantify the noise in a sharp image (or a region of a sharp image).

Perhaps I should explain the reasoning behind my statement.....You're correct, Anton....noise is independant of the lens but our perception of the noise isn't.

Noise is sharp....it's visible on a pixel by pixel basis. A soft lens will smear a point source of the subject across several pixels (as would any detail outside the plane of sharp focus).
Therefore it's easier to quantify the noise in a sharp image (or a region of a sharp image).

Makes sense, I never thought about it that way. Noise is surely still visible in areas of smooth tonal gradation, right? Although, admittedly less obvious than in sharper parts?

If you have to boost the sharpening to compensate for a softer lens, this will make the noise more visible as you will sharpen the noise too.

If you have to boost the sharpening to compensate for a softer lens, this will make the noise more visible as you will sharpen the noise too.
That's certainly the case, Mark, and I suggested that most modern lenses will perform adequately at f/8, thereby eliminating the lens from the observations.

Bob

Am I correct in thinking this model has had fewer firmware updates than about any others I can remember.........the mk1 and 7D mk 2 had some major updates (f8 ability, max no of continuous shots in RAW etc), but nothing (eg dual pixel af) on the mk2.

Are they holding this back for the mk3 as there's not much they can improve?

George.

Am I correct in thinking this model has had fewer firmware updates than about any others I can remember.........

Historically the 1srs bodies have featured the rollout of the next generation Digic processors. In the case of the 1DxMkII the processor had already seen 12 months of use in the 5DS/5DSR bodies......perhaps the shakedown predated the MkII's release?

Bob

always both cards same time (only do stills) same jpg to each card... backup backup backup :)

Wot he sez ^^^^

Wot he sez ^^^^

Your fault if i recall... I never shot to two until you mentioned "why not" and backup.. I never gave it a thought... few years later and here i am to the point of paranoid about it.. always two cards same time haha

Also 2 both cards for still. Haven’t tried video.

Video only saves to the cfast card i think.. not to both... I THINK ?

It's optional Tony....although a decent CFast would be the preferred option for HD.

Bob

But not of 4k video ? I dont think mine even works unless cfast is in when shooting 4k

But not of 4k video ? I dont think mine even works unless cfast is in when shooting 4k

There are 6 different qualities of 4K and 4 of them can be recorded to the CF card (page 316 of the user guide)

Not me, Jason, but look cheap(ish)!!...perhaps the start of a general reduction in the CF cards?

Has anyone else on hete had the issue of debris on the sensor due to the shutters coating being rubbed off. I have sent my mkii off twice now to be cleaned and have been told its an issue and a few cases have been noted. I would like to know are canon playing this down. I sent mine to canon and they told me it was due to taking pictures at 14 ffs and there is software that can calculate the dust and block it on the picture on pc.

Has anyone else on hete had the issue of debris on the sensor due to the shutters coating being rubbed off. I have sent my mkii off twice now to be cleaned and have been told its an issue and a few cases have been noted. I would like to know are canon playing this down. I sent mine to canon and they told me it was due to taking pictures at 14 ffs and there is software that can calculate the dust and block it on the picture on pc.
My original 1dx and my current 1dx2 both have the same issue. It seems no matter how much I clean it - it's never clean.

I had a lot of oil splatter the first few months but its slowly gotten better but its still a dust magnet. Clean it myself so its no big deal.

....... I sent mine to canon and they told me it was due to taking pictures at 14 ffs ......

Are there any theories as to why the frame rate has any effect? The shutter and mirror always move at the same speed and it's simply a repeated sequence whether there's 10 minutes between frames or 1/14th second.

Are there any theories as to why the frame rate has any effect? The shutter and mirror always move at the same speed and it's simply a repeated sequence whether there's 10 minutes between frames or 1/14th second.
Nope i have not had any info as to why. And would think rigorous testing before release would of flagged up the issue. I am curuous if there is a cure and has anyone had something done to rectify it.

Nope i have not had any info as to why. And would think rigorous testing before release would of flagged up the issue. I am curuous if there is a cure and has anyone had something done to rectify it.
It might but just a bad batch of shutter curtains/blades that only impact a small number of bodies. I've only cleaned my sensors once since I got the MkII's and that was a pre-wedding clean for peace of mind.

Last edited:
would be handy to know if anyone has had them changed and the problem fixed. Also i wonder how many dont know if they have this issue due to never shooting over f10. i wouldnt of noticed till i did a landscape.

I'm thinking of having a play with video with mine!!!...anyone used a hand held stabiliser?...looking for a pointer for a reasonable and not too pricey one to have a play with.

Might put a post on the video section as well.....

George.

I'm thinking of having a play with video with mine!!!...anyone used a hand held stabiliser?...looking for a pointer for a reasonable and not too pricey one to have a play with.

Might put a post on the video section as well.....

George.

I’ve tried with a fly cam. You need one suitable for the weight of the camera and lens, so on the bulkier end of the available options. Fairly inexpensive online. I found it takes a lot of practice to balance and use effectively, and I’m still practicing..... for long shots it’s quite a work out too :).

I’d be interested if anyone has tried a gimbal in comparison with flycam.

Thanks, Tim. I'm going off to Venice for a few days so might have a bash then, just hand held to try out the settings etc.

Trouble is, I prefer stills so might try the 4k route and see what the jpegs are like!!

May report back if I decide to do it.......and the results aren't awful!!

Tried plenty video handheld but stick to the slow motion at 120fps, its dreamy haha

Weather wasn't up to much in Venice, and I was so deliriously happy after the rugby that I didn't give the video a go, so that is for the future.

Thanks for the input however!!

George.

I am trying to shoot a shot on my 1dxII in manual with a flash (600RT) and it won't let me go above 1/250 ? unless I select HSS on the flash ?

Anybody know why?

I though the sync speed only mattered in AV ?

I know it won't be a good shot I was trying to demonstrate what happens and why we have Sync speeds

Cheers

It's because the 1Dx and the flash communicate and know the limitations, Mike. If you stick an dumb flash (or an older EZ series flash) on the body then it will let you up the shutter speed.

Bob

It's because the 1Dx and the flash communicate and know the limitations, Mike. If you stick an dumb flash (or an older EZ series flash) on the body then it will let you up the shutter speed.

Bob

Thanks, I figured as much.... In this case I wanted to be an idiot :)

Martin

Back