Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

....Cheers, Bob!

Then as I never shoot JPEG and I exclusively shoot RAW, I think I'll tryout setting to 'Neutral'.

I notice that 'Faithful' and 'Neutral' have the same '0,2,2,0,0,0' default detailed settings.

Hi RR,

See the difference between the picture styles below, courtesy of Canon Learn USA:

Standard: Provides crisp, vivid images with increased saturation, contrast, and sharpening. Default on EOS DSLRs.
Faithful: Similar to Neutral but produces images that are colorimetrically almost identical to the actual colors when shot under standard daylight conditions (i.e., an average color temperature of 5200° Kelvin.

However, the end result does not matter since you shoot in RAW these applications are non-destructive to your image.

Did you buy your 1DxII on grey market or the UK sourced?

Hi RR,

See the difference between the picture styles below, courtesy of Canon Learn USA:

Standard: Provides crisp, vivid images with increased saturation, contrast, and sharpening. Default on EOS DSLRs.
Faithful: Similar to Neutral but produces images that are colorimetrically almost identical to the actual colors when shot under standard daylight conditions (i.e., an average color temperature of 5200° Kelvin.

However, the end result does not matter since you shoot in RAW these applications are non-destructive to your image.

Did you buy your 1DxII on grey market or the UK sourced?

Hi RL, :D

Yes, post-processing the RAW offers me plenty of editing scope but I think I would like to start off with as much 'neutrality' as possible.

I bought my 1DX Mark II from Wex.

Hi RL, :D

Yes, post-processing the RAW offers me plenty of editing scope but I think I would like to start off with as much 'neutrality' as possible.

I bought my 1DX Mark II from Wex.

:D

I set my 5D3 with all 000000 so I get as neutral as possible.

Nice one, have you set up your camera yet? Mine is still Mint in Box :p

Nice one, have you set up your camera yet? Mine is still Mint in Box :p

....I have nearly finished setting it up and may of course revise some settings as I get to know it better.

If yours is "still Mint in Box" does that mean you have only just bought it? I unboxed it and started charging the battery as soon as it was delivered.

....I have nearly finished setting it up and may of course revise some settings as I get to know it better.

If yours is "still Mint in Box" does that mean you have only just bought it? I unboxed it and started charging the battery as soon as it was delivered.

Yes I've handled it but it is back in the box and battery not charged yet [emoji28]

I'm not using it until next weekend so, yeah... But I know the setup won't take me long to do them.

A Canon E19 battery question please :

As I am waiting for a spare E19 which are in short supply and I only want the Canon version, is there any harm if I keep recharging the battery while only down to say 60 or 70%? Usually I let batteries run down to about 15% before recharging.

A Canon E19 battery question please :

As I am waiting for a spare E19 which are in short supply and I only want the Canon version, is there any harm if I keep recharging the battery while only down to say 60 or 70%? Usually I let batteries run down to about 15% before recharging.

Lithium ion batteries aren't supposed to have a memory effect Robin. Although I have three batteries I always charge them back to full from wherever they are (typically 45-55%) before I go out. I've always done this and haven't seen any detrimental effect on batteries performance over several years. I calibrate them when it comes up in the camera which isn't very often.

As above.
I bought a clearance priced LP E4 the 1dx version (£72) as a back up but did not realise it would drop the cameras maximum frame rate.

Lithium ion batteries aren't supposed to have a memory effect Robin. Although I have three batteries I always charge them back to full from wherever they are (typically 45-55%) before I go out. I've always done this and haven't seen any detrimental effect on batteries performance over several years. I calibrate them when it comes up in the camera which isn't very often.

....Thanks Gary!

I notice that the E19 recharger has a 'Calibrate/Performance' button but haven't got far enough into the User Manual yet to read what it means.

....Thanks Gary!

I notice that the E19 recharger has a 'Calibrate/Performance' button but haven't got far enough into the User Manual yet to read what it means.

I believe the charge capacity drops over time.
I guess this is important to pros who can't afford to run out of juice.

I bought a clearance priced LP E4 the 1dx version (£72) as a back up but did not realise it would drop the cameras maximum frame rate.

....Ooops! That kind of negates one of the best features (if you shoot sports or wildlife action) which the 1DX2 has. Having experience of both 7fps and 10fps Canon bodies, 14fps was a big deal maker for me and I have immediately benefitted from it even by just rattling off 3 at a time.

You can get an idea of the time it takes to calibrate the battery off the charger. Add another three hours for it to charge back up after calibration.

....Thanks Gary!

The camera sets a bit in the battery's electronics (based on battery level reduction during use) and this alerts the charger to indicate that calibration is required.

I got that wrong then.
I thought the charger set a value in the battery during calibration so the camera knew how many shots it was capable of.

I should read the manual but I'm too lazy.

....Ooops! That kind of negates one of the best features (if you shoot sports or wildlife action) which the 1DX2 has. Having experience of both 7fps and 10fps Canon bodies, 14fps was a big deal maker for me and I have immediately benefitted from it even by just rattling off 3 at a time.

I too find myself setting the camera to max frame rate and firing off 3 to 5 shots at a time.
I think this improves my chances of getting a keeper over single shot which is another reason I traded my 85 1.2 for the 85 1.4.

I too find myself setting the camera to max frame rate and firing off 3 to 5 shots at a time.
I think this improves my chances of getting a keeper over single shot which is another reason I traded my 85 1.2 for the 85 1.4.

....You're right, it definitely does improve your keeper rate but so does simply shooting on a 1DX2 I am finding so far.

I have always set my D-SLR bodies to max frame rate and find it easy to fire just 3 shots or, for static subjects, just 1 shot. This means that I am ready if machine gunning a dozen shots is suddenly needed.

Active subjects such as wildlife, small birds in particular, rarely stay still and you can easily capture a head turned away instead. Herons tend to pose standing very still though!

The shutter sound of even 1 shot is very satisfying and different on the 1DX2.

Now I have had the camera for a few weeks, I have to say how very impressed I am with it. The cases took a bit of tweaking for what I do, but now it is spot on, and I think my keeper rate for sprinting dogs running straight at the camera has improved roughly threefold over the 7D2, and it completely blows the 5D3 out of the water focus-wise. I do the photography for the local dog shelter, which 99% of the time is portraits, so I used to take the 5D3. Just occasionally they spring an action shoot on me with no warning, so I would suck my teeth and say I would do my best. I always got something, but so many were OOF. Yesterday they did the same. “No problem!” I said with a smile and within a couple of minutes of starting had got the photo below.

And barely having to worry about ISO is just liberating!

I love it! [emoji7]IMG_1347.jpg

Last edited:
....You're right, it definitely does improve your keeper rate but so does simply shooting on a 1DX2 I am finding so far.

I have always set my D-SLR bodies to max frame rate and find it easy to fire just 3 shots or, for static subjects, just 1 shot. This means that I am ready if machine gunning a dozen shots is suddenly needed.

Active subjects such as wildlife, small birds in particular, rarely stay still and you can easily capture a head turned away instead. Herons tend to pose standing very still though!

The shutter sound of even 1 shot is very satisfying and different on the 1DX2.

The downside of the 1dx2 shutter is the noise it makes. I often have people stood near by turn and frown when I fire long bursts.
I have a feeling wildlife will be sensitive to this as well.

The downside of the 1dx2 shutter is the noise it makes. I often have people stood near by turn and frown when I fire long bursts.
I have a feeling wildlife will be sensitive to this as well.

I have had mine in a hide twice. At Slimbridge the birds were a long way away, so no problem, but at a much more intimate hide I put it on High Speed Silent which worked well for not scaring birds which were five feet away.

I always dismissed buying a 1DX purely on shutter volume after sharing a hide with one being constantly machine-gunned (40-60 frame bursts). The 1DX2 isn’t exactly quiet, but is a definite improvement!

I have had mine in a hide twice. At Slimbridge the birds were a long way away, so no problem, but at a much more intimate hide I put it on High Speed Silent which worked well for not scaring birds which were five feet away.

I always dismissed buying a 1DX purely on shutter volume after sharing a hide with one being constantly machine-gunned (40-60 frame bursts). The 1DX2 isn’t exactly quiet, but is a definite improvement!

....40-60 frame bursts seems somewhat OTT but I guess it depends on the subject. At bursts like that you might as well shoot video on the 1DX2 and then extract a single frame. The most I have done so far is a burst of 19 on a hovering Kestrel and mostly to test the results at 14fps as I am new to the 1DX. I can normally manage just a single shot at 14fps but shoot mostly 3 frames.

I only ever shoot wildlife (except on my iPhone) but quite honestly I'm not going to be bothered if someone doesn't like hearing me rattle off shots - If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen! I don't like 'birders' constantly asking me what I have seen but I put up with it or tell them I've seen a Greater Spotted Pterodactyl if they are asking me while I am buried in my viewfinder.

Doesn't setting to High Speed 'Silent' kick down the frame rate? If so, that's not necessarily a compromise I would choose. I have never scared off a subject with shutter noise yet but there's always a first time. Anyway, I think the continuous noise of the 1DX2 at 14fps is slightly less disturbing than 7fps on the 5D4 because the sound level wave is smoother and less jagged 'on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off'.

....40-60 frame bursts seems somewhat OTT but I guess it depends on the subject. At bursts like that you might as well shoot video on the 1DX2 and then extract a single frame. The most I have done so far is a burst of 19 on a hovering Kestrel and mostly to test the results at 14fps as I am new to the 1DX. I can normally manage just a single shot at 14fps but shoot mostly 3 frames.

I only ever shoot wildlife (except on my iPhone) but quite honestly I'm not going to be bothered if someone doesn't like hearing me rattle off shots - If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen! I don't like 'birders' constantly asking me what I have seen but I put up with it or tell them I've seen a Greater Spotted Pterodactyl if they are asking me while I am buried in my viewfinder.

Doesn't setting to High Speed 'Silent' kick down the frame rate? If so, that's not necessarily a compromise I would choose. I have never scared off a subject with shutter noise yet but there's always a first time. Anyway, I think the continuous noise of the 1DX2 at 14fps is slightly less disturbing than 7fps on the 5D4 because the sound level wave is smoother and less jagged 'on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off'.

The American I went out with in Florida has done 250k shutter within a year of purchase. He told me that he starts pressing his shutter when he sees incoming actions he wouldn't want to miss and perhaps that is why he always came home with superb images. The only huge issue is deleting the frames he doesn't need at the end of the day :D

Wouldn't mind if someone asked me what I have seen for the day in the hide, it is the start of conversation but if he doesn't keep his noise down that would annoy me. However, I do not do RSPB hides anymore these days.

I tend to shoot 3-5 frames usually, especially at lower shutter speeds as I find that the best one will be in the middle of the burst. If it's something that needs spray and pray however then I just hold the button down. I'd rather sort out 50-60 frames and find I've got something good than sort out 10 frames and find that I've not got anything. Having the high frame rate to use when it's needed is handy. I've shot high frame rates within 5 metres of birds and haven't found the shutter noise an issue. If others don't like it well there's always earplugs.

I also set the low frame rate to 13 on mine as in the past I've inadvertently set the low rate. But then I've probably got my camera set up completely differently from most people.

Last edited:
The American I went out with in Florida has done 250k shutter within a year of purchase. He told me that he starts pressing his shutter when he sees incoming actions he wouldn't want to miss and perhaps that is why he always came home with superb images. The only huge issue is deleting the frames he doesn't need at the end of the day :D

Wouldn't mind if someone asked me what I have seen for the day in the hide, it is the start of conversation but if he doesn't keep his noise down that would annoy me. However, I do not do RSPB hides anymore these days.

Deleting frames is a pain in the neck.
I was at Santapod last year and shot 2500 frames, 2499 of which were garbage.
Speaks volumes for my ability (or otherwise) to photograph fast moving objects.

Deleting frames is a pain in the neck.

....If you didn't know already (RTFM and all that), you can set the 1DX2 to default on the 'Delete' box instead of the 'Cancel' box when you press the bin button. It saves a step and therefore saves time.

It's always wise to wait and review any border line cases until you view them uploaded to your computer though.

....If you didn't know already (RTFM and all that), you can set the 1DX2 to default on the 'Delete' box instead of the 'Cancel' box when you press the bin button. It saves a step and therefore saves time.

It's always wise to wait and review any border line cases until you view them uploaded to your computer though.

Now now, you need to be careful if you accidentally delete the wrong image! :exit:

As a matter of interest does anyone make use of the custom controls etc to personalise the camera for your needs and how extensive are the changes you make.

As a matter of interest does anyone make use of the custom controls etc to personalise the camera for your needs and how extensive are the changes you make.

....Yes, I do but not very extensively. I only shoot RAW and nearly always Manual-mode with Auto ISO.

Shutter button for Metering without focus.

AF-ON set to Back Button Focus only and on ONE SHOT.

'Star'/Asterix button to CONTINUOUS FOCUS. Consequently I can roll my thumb between the two focus buttons.

Top wheel for Aperture.

Back wheel for Shutter speed.

I have the same settings on my 7D Mark II.

It happens but fortunately it's still available on the second card.

....Is anyone using a CFast card?

I don't do video and so am finding a good quality 68GB CF card to be fine so far. CFast cards are horribly expensive if you're not a professional. Hopefully their price may come down?

I use the cfast card exclusively Robin. Never had an issue with the CF cards in my 1DX but the facility is there in the MkII so why not use it. It's write speed is very very quick.

I don't do video and so am finding a good quality 68GB CF card to be fine so far. CFast cards are horribly expensive if you're not a professional. Hopefully their price may come down?

Yes, using Cfast a bit pricey I agree.

I use the cfast card exclusively Robin. Never had an issue with the CF cards in my 1DX but the facility is there in the MkII so why not use it. It's write speed is very very quick.

....I wouldn't fuel my high performance car with anything other than V-Power and so it kind of makes sense for me to exploit what the 1DX2 has to offer.

Any CFast card recommendations, please guys?

64gb minimum or 128gb maximum would work for me as my Card 1 slot is a 64gb CF.

Last edited:
Some photos from my first week with the 1DX Mark II. They all happen to be with the Canon x2 III Extender on the 500mm F/4L II < The x2 Extender has a reputation for softening images but I have never found this to be the case.

I am impressed by the Canon 1DX2 colour accuracy, exposure, and focussing. I very much enjoyed my first digital full-frame 5D Mark IV but this encourages me further and seems more reliable so far.

A PAIR OF HERRING GULLS DECLARING THEIR LOVE! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

BLUE TIT ON CHERRY BLOSSOM by Robin Procter, on Flickr

KESTREL MALE HUNTING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

LITTLE OWLS BIG LOVE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:

You are compromising your cameras performance if you're not using Cfast.
I use the lexar 64gb with a Sandisk 64gb CF.
As the Cfast fills up (rarely) I transfer everything from Cfast to CF, in camera, and carry on.

You are compromising your cameras performance if you're not using Cfast.
I use the lexar 64gb with a Sandisk 64gb CF.
As the Cfast fills up (rarely) I transfer everything from Cfast to CF, in camera, and carry on.

....Thanks Tony, that info is very helpful.

I didn't know you could transfer from CFast to CF in camera - Hopefully I'll find out how in the Instruction Manual.

I use Sandisk 64gb CF cards and Wex have Lexar 64gb CFast in stock so I'll go for that.

Cheers!
Robin

I didn't know you could transfer from CFast to CF in camera - Hopefully I'll find out how in the Instruction Manual.

I use Sandisk 64gb CF cards and Wex have Lexar 64gb CFast in stock so I'll go for that.

Cheers!
Robin
At the time I purchased it, the Lexar had the fastest write times.
Just playing when I first got the camera, I never managed to fill the buffer with raw files. I held the button down at 14 fps and became concerned that the shutter would start smoking before the buffer filled.:eek:

Cheers!
Robin

Robin, on Instruction Manual at page 382 sub-heading Copying Images.

....I have found how to create a new folder (P.201 of Instructions) but not how to transfer all the images from one card to the other within the camera body.

It might be something I rarely need to do but would be useful to know how if it is needed.

EDIT : OOPS! OUR POSTS CROSSED - THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY #879

Last edited:
Back