Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

....Yes, I do but not very extensively. I only shoot RAW and nearly always Manual-mode with Auto ISO.

Shutter button for Metering without focus.

AF-ON set to Back Button Focus only and on ONE SHOT.

'Star'/Asterix button to CONTINUOUS FOCUS. Consequently I can roll my thumb between the two focus buttons.

Top wheel for Aperture.

Back wheel for Shutter speed.

I have the same settings on my 7D Mark II.

Shutter button set to metering.
AF ON for focusing with one set of AF parameters.
AE LOCK for focusing with a different set of AF parameters.
SET button for ISO adjustment.
Orientation linked AF points set to different points for landscape and portrait orientation.
AF point registered to top middle of AF array in both landscape and portrait modes.
M-fn 2 and DOF buttons both set to switch to registered AF points.
AI SERVO 1st image focus priority.
AI SERVO 2nd image equal priority between speed and focus.
M-fn button set to C1-3 custom settings.
AF point selection set to continuous where it runs off one side and back in on the other side.
Image zoom button set to actual size and zoom in on the focus point.
Spot metering linked to active AF point.
INFO button set to only show electronic level.
AF point that achieved focus shows when image is reviewed.

Doesn't setting to High Speed 'Silent' kick down the frame rate? If so, that's not necessarily a compromise I would choose. I have never scared off a subject with shutter noise yet but there's always a first time. Anyway, I think the continuous noise of the 1DX2 at 14fps is slightly less disturbing than 7fps on the 5D4 because the sound level wave is smoother and less jagged 'on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off'.

Yes it does (to 6fps off the top of my head), but I know from experience with my 5D3 that a unsilenced full frame shutter WILL spook the birds there, so it is either 6fps or no birds at all. They are not bothered by the 7D2, however, but being crop I can’t fit the birds in the frame with it. In that particular hide I always take the 7D2 on the 500 f4 for the further small birds, and a full frame on the 100-400 for the nearer small birds and further large birds and mammals.

Regarding set up, I use the C1-C2-C3 options all the time, really quick to swap between completely different setups.

Glad to see that there's nothing but praise for the mk2, for me it's far and away the best Canon body yet.

George.

Oh and BTW if you use Sandisc CFast cards, it is suggested by Sandisc that they be "sanitised" every so often to maintain optimum performance.

Last edited:
On the topic of camera set up.
I turn off all in-camera image corrections and shoot exclusively in raw and AV mode.

Oh and BTW if you use Sandisc CFast cards, it is suggested by Sandisc that they be "sanitised" every so often to maintain optimum performance.[/QUOTE]

I will shoot manual probably 90% of the time in raw and let the auto iso do its thing unless my background remains constant
On the CFast card I've only got Sandisc ones and never had a problem but the only difference with me that I only delete the images not format them

It arrived from USA, cheaper and charging now [emoji16]

....So what was the actual total cost (in pounds sterling) including shipping, import tax and the standard £12 'handling' fee which the nice customs people robbed you, please?

Last edited:
The misery of charging an LP-E19.
The three blinks go on for an eternity.

....As robinsslee says: only if you keep watching it charge < Just like a watched kettle never boils!

Both my Canon E19 charge up faster than any of my Canon E6N batteries.

On the subject of cards, a professional photographer advised me quite emphatically the other day to never delete images from the card while still in the camera but to wait until uploading to computer. The reason she gave was that there was far more risk of card failure due to the process fragmenting the data on the card.

This seems logical but surely Canon have got that potential problem under control on their flagship 1DX2?

On the subject of cards, a professional photographer advised me quite emphatically the other day to never delete images from the card while still in the camera but to wait until uploading to computer. The reason she gave was that there was far more risk of card failure due to the process fragmenting the data on the card.

This seems logical but surely Canon have got that potential problem under control on their flagship 1DX2?

been doing this for 15 years with sandisk cards and I bet I take and delete more pcis than her.. no problems :)

I'm with Kipax. Deleting off the card is the first part of my culling effort.

Yes, the images are only deleted from the active card....the second card retains all the images.

I'm with the guys above.....I cull on the fly and have never suffered any corrupted cards.

been doing this for 15 years with sandisk cards and I bet I take and delete more pcis than her.. no problems :)

I'm with Kipax. Deleting off the card is the first part of my culling effort.

Yes, the images are only deleted from the active card....the second card retains all the images.

I'm with the guys above.....I cull on the fly and have never suffered any corrupted cards.

If Canon provides a dedicated button on the camera for delete function, I trust Canon than some random guy on what he believes [emoji28]

....The "random guy" is a nationally known young woman wildlife professional but with only 4 years experience - She takes really top notch photos but has a bit of an attitude!

I'm now going to take the advice of you random guys :D and continue culling in camera off the card. Obviously I don't delete the borderline images until checked at larger size on the computer. Thanks for your comments - Much appreciated :)

Ooops! I have just bought a 1DX2. Canon 100-400mm L II and 500mm F/4L II are my most commonly used lenses, with and without Extenders.

I only shoot wildlife and started off with a 70D about 4 years ago and then a 7D2 3 years ago and experienced the importance of a faster frame rate. Than last summer I added a 5D4 which was my first digital full-frame. I love the 5D4 but not its slow 7fps. At the time of buying the 5D4 I seriously considered the 1DX2 but felt that the extra price difference would not be worth it. However, having now experienced full-frame quality and being tempted by Wex/Canon's £430 bonus trade-in offer for my 5D4, I decided to take the plunge.

I spent yesterday setting it up to my liking but have stayed away from changing the AF Case defaults! I grabbed a couple of seagull-flying-in-very-grey-sky shots early yesterday evening and was immediately blown away by the hit rate and that wasn't even at 14fps (my error in not setting 'H' yet).

I have a question please: I set my 5D4 to 'Fine Detail' rather than the default 'Standard' - I was happy with that but am I compromising anything by setting 'Fine Detail' on the 1DX2?

I exclusively shoot RAW and have set sRGB and AWB as defaults. I post-process in Capture One, not Lightroom.

I am a serious amateur and justify my spending of so much money by believing that I may realise more of my potential and of course using high quality gear adds to my enjoyment. 14fps and better (I think) AF tracking than either the 7D2 or 5D4 are the main advantages. I will still use my 7D2 but for its extra reach. I might miss the 30mpx resolution of the 5D4 sometimes but I don't print my images.

Robin,grats on the new camera. Mate I'm going to jump in here, there is a littlething in your post I've noticed and need to raise this ...........

i've read, you don't print,but shouldn't your camera be set to RGB rather than sRGB. Otherwise when you are processing surely you won't be working in the full colour space. I realise for web we then have to convert to sRGB. But if you are processing all from RAW and are going for the best quality image possible,surely there must be some advantage to processing with all the colours,rather than a more limited pallette.

I'm no expert mate,I've added this 'cause folks here will put me straight,if i'm wrong. Robin this is how I've been taught to work from as neutral image as possible,it just seems illogical to me to not make use of the whole colourspace from the camera though to the stage where one converts for web Guys,sorry if this is slightly off topic,I normally read threads like this to learn god forbid contribute,i'm curious myself as to what you all do if ya shoot RAW ,surely camera is always best set to RGB bar those guys whom shoot jpeg and are so advanced they know how to sort colour in camera??

cheers

stu

Robin,grats on the new camera. Mate I'm going to jump in here, there is a littlething in your post I've noticed and need to raise this ...........

i've read, you don't print,but shouldn't your camera be set to RGB rather than sRGB. Otherwise when you are processing surely you won't be working in the full colour space. I realise for web we then have to convert to sRGB. But if you are processing all from RAW and are going for the best quality image possible,surely there must be some advantage to processing with all the colours,rather than a more limited pallette.

I'm no expert mate,I've added this 'cause folks here will put me straight,if i'm wrong. Robin this is how I've been taught to work from as neutral image as possible,it just seems illogical to me to not make use of the whole colourspace from the camera though to the stage where one converts for web Guys,sorry if this is slightly off topic,I normally read threads like this to learn god forbid contribute,i'm curious myself as to what you all do if ya shoot RAW ,surely camera is always best set to RGB bar those guys whom shoot jpeg and are so advanced they know how to sort colour in camera??

cheers

stu

Hi Stu!

Thanks for that observation - It's appreciated. However, I seem to recall that all my hardware manufacturers and also Capture One RAW converter (I stand to be corrected) recommend setting to sRGB rather than RGB. I think that knowledgeable and well established experts such as Tony Northrup also recommend sRGB rather than RGB. I forget the reasons.

I am sure that some of the experts here will be able to either correct me or substantiate the sRGB setting preference.

I'm pretty certain that there isn't a "colour space" assigned to the raw file and it's injected at the PP stage. Different processing utilities use different colour spaces and as long as you select sRGB for your final export for the web then all should be good.

Can anyone confirm or refute?

Bob

I'm with you, Bob, that's my understanding as well.

And I cull on the fly, as well!!

George.

ps and I start sentences with "And"

My cameras are set to RGB but I process in LR which assigns ProPhoto RGB to raw files which is the largest of the colour spaces. I export from LR in Adobe RGB and save my TIFFs in RGB after final processing. However my screen displays in sRGB colour space and I print to match my screen. Go figure!! However my final prints look great and that's the acid test as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the insights/correction guys ,very much appreciated,post is still a massive learning curve. I set camera to RGB process RAW in DPP convert to tiff still in RGB then PSCC end stage convert to sRGB for web

many thanks

stu

Having set my 1DX2 to only record RAW with 'Neutral' picture style, AWB and sRGB, I am not at all dissatisfied with the results so far < In fact the contrary. My brain quite unscientifically has the idea that colours recorded on my 1DX2 as currently set up, are very natural and 'quiet' < This is not a problem as it is only a starting point in post-processing and subtle edits according to my taste can be made if desired.

However, if I have correctly understood the posts above, there might be a benefit to colour editing if the 1DX2 is set to Colour Space 'Adobe RGB' rather than 'sRGB', consequently with the file remaining in 'RGB' through my typical workflow of Capture One CR2 > Photoshop TIFF for third-party plug-in Filters > Saving TIFF automatically back to Capture One and then finally exporting a JPEG. At the final stage of export I can set the JPEG to be sRGB for viewing online (as I don't print).

But the question is whether there is in fact any added benefit in initially going the 'Adobe RGB' route. [I don't use DPP or Lightroom]

On a grey overcast morning before it rained heavily (and I carried on shooting but the Puffin took shelter!)....

A LONE PUFFIN ON THE CLIFFS by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
I could be wrong but adobe rgb may produce flat looking images when web posting.

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain that there isn't a "colour space" assigned to the raw file and it's injected at the PP stage. Different processing utilities use different colour spaces and as long as you select sRGB for your final export for the web then all should be good.

Can anyone confirm or refute?

Bob

Yes Bob, raw captures everything without assigning a colour space - one of the many reasons to shoot raw.

You then decide later, at the processing stage, which colour space to use. You aren’t even limited to RGB and sRGB and some prefer Adobe RGB for the even larger space.

Just joined the 1DX Mark II Club but can't do anything until my lens arrives on Wednesday...

1DX_MarkII.jpeg

Charge the battery ? ;)

I do wish that with the amazing super-duper-ness of this camera - that the charger would have been designed and capable of charging two batteries at once, instead of two, one at a time.

(Although it appears batteries are in limited supply at the moment for whatever reason)

Have only had mine a couple of weeks but am loving it.

Today I tried out 1/8000s and ISO 6400 in my 'BackYard' at home :

GIVING NATURE A HOME by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
On the subject of setting sRGB vs RGB, I found this info linked below and so am sticking to sRGB as I don't print my images.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1070520/Canon-Eos-1-D-X-Mark-Ii.html?page=200

I quote from the link : "For normal shooting, sRGB is recommended"

TBH most commercial printers want sRGB these days anyway unless your into large commercial type prints.

adobeRGB is non linear colour gamut as well so favours cyan/green which you then lose when you convert back to sRGB which is what most peoples screen can display anyway.

Nice shot.
The novelty of a 1dx2 will soon wear off though.

.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: The 'novelty' of taking wildlife photos since starting 4 years ago has yet to wear off :D

The 1DX2 is a valuable tool to help me achieve the standard and type of pictures I aspire to. I feel very comfortable with it.

Thanks for the compliment on my posted photo :)

Might be a silly question but how do I setup the 1DX Mark II for 120fps video in 1080p?

When I enable high frame rate all I get is 1920x1080 100.0fps

Back