Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Robin i'm on the lastest film ware version so sadly it's not that. i've,been through most of the AF menus now I still can't erradicate the issue. what I have noticed that might help someone else help me is that the offending FP is now only in landscape mode and flashes in time with the two outer focus point blocks

Cheers for the thoughts mate appreciated

stu

I sispect that you're seeing a registered AF point, Stu......about page 450+ in your user guide.

Bob

I sispect that you're seeing a registered AF point, Stu......about page 450+ in your user guide.

Bob

Brilliance;)...thank you Bob, i'm sorted, took mins once I knew what I was looking for, I am also pretty sure I now know how I set it inadvertently as well, which is equally useful.

Thank you very very much indeed, Bob !!! .

stu

Robin, sorry they are both SanDisc, they came with both my bodies as there was an initial offer of a "free" CFast card and a reader not long after the model was introduced....and I've not had any problems using them, in fact I've never downloaded straight from the camera...not sure why you'd do that as the connection between the CFast and the body is much more reliable and less likely to get damaged as the CF interface.

https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-san...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM6phrnamt4CFakS0wodcN4I2A

seems a good place to buy it, didn't know they had an on line store!!

Hope that helps, Robin,

Cheers,

George.

A QUESTION FOR 1DX-2 USERS WHO ALSO USE MACS PLEASE :

I have CFast 2.0 and CF cards loaded, both SanDisk Extreme PRO 64GB. I only record RAW and to the CFast card with the CF card for overflow (which is rare).

My Macs are an iMac and a MacBook Pro, both running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I connect to upload images into Apple's Image Capture via the Canon supplied USB cable. My iMac only has USB-2 whereas my laptop has USB-3 ports.

The problem is that Image Capture rarely sees/loads the files from my camera's CFast card, although randomly '1 time out of 20' it occasionally does. So my workaround is to first copy ('Transfer' in the blue Menu) all the image files from the CFast to the CF card within the 1DX-2 while it is switched off and disconnected, and then the CR2 files can arrive on my Mac. The problem also existed when both my Macs were running the previous OS.

I always religiously reformat both cards before using my camera again.

The only reason I can think of is that the macOS does not support CFast cards? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robin

I feel your pain.
Connecting my 1dx2 (when I owned it) was a pain both on my imac and my MacBook pro.
I gave up in the end and bought a cfast card reader.
If it's any consolation, my 5d4 and 7d2 don't work reliably when using the usb cable supplied by canon.

I assume if you are using SanDisc cards you know about the sanitizer app?.....not that that's relevant to your question, Robin...

What is the sanitiser app, please?

You only need it with SanDisc cards, other makes don't require this sanitising as far as I can tell, but always format the CFast card in the camera after sanitising and before use.

I looked at the link - what exactly is 'sanitising' in this sense?

I believe it's a kind of formatting, so that the index on the card is completely erased so as to keep maximum performance but others may have more exact knowledge of the process.

I believe that it's more than 18 months since I bothered sanitising my cards and I haven't seen any problems but it may be that my usage doesn't highlight them.

Have Canon sorted out the oil splatter on the sensor issue?
It's always been a problem on mine. The answer is no they haven't. You don't notice it if you only ever shoot at f2.8 or f1.2 - but if you get down to f8/11 or woe betide F22 - then it's as clear as day :)

Are you sure it isn't just a problem in Wales???...:exit:

Seriously, you're quite correct, I'm almost always shooting at < f8 wherever possible so I may not have noticed it.

Perhaps others can comment.

George.

I've been using the 400DO ii and 2x extii,so f8 is my starting point,,I'm not aware of problems,I am aware of this oil splatter issue, though.

I've not gone anywhere near f22 it must be said so await others replies

stu

I've been using the 400DO ii and 2x extii,so f8 is my starting point,,I'm not aware of problems,I am aware of this oil splatter issue, though.

I've not gone anywhere near f22 it must be said so await others replies

stu

The same set up I have, Stu, except I tend to use the 1.4x more than the 2x as I find the image quality suffers slightly with the x2...but I'd not be going below f8 either ...

George.

I've only cleaned mine (2 bodies) three times in 22 months and they were pre-wedding cleans as I'm mostly f/8 or wider. The sensors didn't appear any dirtier than my other 1 srs bodies at similar intervals.

Bob

I've only cleaned mine (2 bodies) three times in 22 months and they were pre-wedding cleans as I'm mostly f/8 or wider. The sensors didn't appear any dirtier than my other 1 srs bodies at similar intervals.

Bob

Yea, pretty much the same with both mine, Bob, I tend to give them a clean before an important shoot, usually a trip abroad and I haven't found them any worse than my previous 1Dx.

Had to take my pair into boremwood for a proper clean in the summer as they were minging.. The technician told me that one of them had 150+ specs of dust and oil, which pretty much totalled my RIAT images. :(

Need to get mine cleaned again. Despite being cleaned a while ago the sensor looks like a blood spatter crime scene again - and I never max it out to 14 fps....

Last edited:
Cleaned mine once for what looked like oil. Never saw the problem again.

Can anyone please help me with this? :

Menu > Battery info. In red text below the status it reads :

"Calibration is recommended when charging battery next time"

Hitting the 'Calibrate Performance' button when in the Canon charger doesn't make the red text disappear when fully charged and reloaded into the 1DX-2 chamber.

I use two Canon LP-E19 batteries so that I always have a fully charged spare. Only one of the two batteries displays the red text.

Thanks for any advice.

Calibration will fully discharge the battery and then recharge the battery - if that's not happening - you're not calibrating!

When you attach the battery that needs calibrating - the CAL light should flash first - then you hit the button - then it'll discharge - then recharge. If the CAL light flashes, and you don't hit the button, it will just charge the battery, and the message won't go away. (They say it's best to calibrate with a near empty battery)

Are you seeing the CAL light light up when you connect the said battery?

Can anyone please help me with this? :

Menu > Battery info. In red text below the status it reads :

"Calibration is recommended when charging battery next time"

Hitting the 'Calibrate Performance' button when in the Canon charger doesn't make the red text disappear when fully charged and reloaded into the 1DX-2 chamber.

I use two Canon LP-E19 batteries so that I always have a fully charged spare. Only one of the two batteries displays the red text.

Thanks for any advice.

mines been like that for as long as i can remeber.. doesnt go away.. but doesnt seem to effect anythign either so i just plod on :)

Calibration will fully discharge the battery and then recharge the battery - if that's not happening - you're not calibrating!

When you attach the battery that needs calibrating - the CAL light should flash first - then you hit the button - then it'll discharge - then recharge. If the CAL light flashes, and you don't hit the button, it will just charge the battery, and the message won't go away. (They say it's best to calibrate with a near empty battery)

Are you seeing the CAL light light up when you connect the said battery?

.... I haven't seen the CAL flash yet but will run my loaded battery down very low and look out for it.

It sounds as if I haven't noticed the CAL light flashing and have just continued with the recharge. Thanks to your information I now know what to expect - Cheers, Chris!

mines been like that for as long as i can remeber.. doesnt go away.. but doesnt seem to effect anythign either so i just plod on :)

.... It doesn't effect anything on mine either regarding image captures.

All calibrating the battery does is calculate how many shots you can get from a battery when it's charged.
The charger sends the info to the battery so the camera can reliably display how many pictures you can take.

I guess it's useful for people who know how many shots they need to take.

That said, I always travel with a spare.

All calibrating the battery does is calculate how many shots you can get from a battery when it's charged.
The charger sends the info to the battery so the camera can reliably display how many pictures you can take.

I guess it's useful for people who know how many shots they need to take.

That said, I always travel with a spare.

.... Me too, I always travel with a spare battery.

Personally I don't need to know how many shots I have left as both my CFast and CF cards have lots of capacity and I carry a spare CF card just in case. I very rarely overflow into the CF card inspite of only shooting RAW and set at 14fps default.

I'm only interested in what % percentage of battery juice I have left and tend to swop batteries at around 15% as I once ran out of juice (on a 7D-2) and missed a shot of a Swan taking off low over a golden reedbeds reflection on the water with Cherry trees in blossom as a backdrop < That image is indelibly etched on my brain!!

Thanks for your helpful info - Much appreciated.

RIGHT IT'S ANNOYING ME NOW :(

Anyone else got a 1dx and 1dxii and prefer the colours on the 1dx... Does anyone know how I can set my 1dxII colours to be the same as the 1dx ? a solution if there is one ?: )

Anyone else got a 1dx and 1dxii and prefer the colours on the 1dx... Does anyone know how I can set my 1dxII colours to be the same as the 1dx ? a solution if there is one ?: )

I suspect that you're in the small minority, Tony, that uses the Jpegs straight from the camera and that needs to be the the starting point for the solution. Canon have a piece of software called "Picture Style Editor" and it allows you to essentially create a profile to use in the same way as the portrait, faithful, etc options in the menu. I'd start by taking the same shot with each body, use the editor to get them looking the same and the you can upload the recipe back into the MkII and use the created recipe from the menu.

I appreciate that this may not be your strong point and I'd be happy to try creating the profile for you if you send me the two identical images.

Bob

I suspect that you're in the small minority, Tony, that uses the Jpegs straight from the camera and that needs to be the the starting point for the solution. Canon have a piece of software called "Picture Style Editor" and it allows you to essentially create a profile to use in the same way as the portrait, faithful, etc options in the menu. I'd start by taking the same shot with each body, use the editor to get them looking the same and the you can upload the recipe back into the MkII and use the created recipe from the menu.

I appreciate that this may not be your strong point and I'd be happy to try creating the profile for you if you send me the two identical images.

Bob

Arise sir bob :) Your spot on mate not my strong point..had no idea you could do whats explained.... not tried two identicle shots... the problem is most noticable under poor lighting...such as poor floodlights at footvball.. the colours are great on the mk1 but always not as strong on the mkII

I will try 2 identicle shots when i get a minute mate.. THANKS :)

Do you have the 'anti flicker' enabled and would this affect your issue?

Do you have the 'anti flicker' enabled and would this affect your issue?

I do and I don't for diff jobs.. slows it down a bit I believe so only use when needed

Shutter replaced..£334 .. they also replaced cracked glass on small bottom window thing at back

It hadn't gone but at 500 thousand actuations I decided better done now rather than go on a job..

Arise sir bob :) Your spot on mate not my strong point..had no idea you could do whats explained.... not tried two identicle shots... the problem is most noticable under poor lighting...such as poor floodlights at footvball.. the colours are great on the mk1 but always not as strong on the mkII

I will try 2 identicle shots when i get a minute mate.. THANKS :)

Tony,did you ever get to grips with this with Bob re the probs over colour difference. ?? I'm very curious !!

stu

Tony,did you ever get to grips with this with Bob re the probs over colour difference. ?? I'm very curious !!

stu

I am that busy I havent had chance to setup the shot.. its maybe on things like a sunny day or under certain lighting that the 1dx easy outperforms the 1dxII on colour rendition.. need to do test and get it exact and two pics of same thing so bob can help me out..

are you finding same problem ?

Your busy is certainly better than mine mate but yeah I know that !! . Tony if you do ever get this sorted,would you be a star and clue me up.please I'm no image maker like you,but man I struggle with post. Being the half wit I am I accidentally shot in jpeg one lovely evening very soon after getting my 1dxii. Let's just say the results were thought provoking. that's what's peaking me interest!! Buddy I have no experience of the 1DX I moved up from a 1div. The 1dxii seems much more accurate colour wise to me than my old camera,but that's not what you are asking about,sadly I can't help

But, I'm very curious ;)

Cheers

Back