Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

Oh well.. late 2019 announce.. so it wont be released until late start of 2020.. would assume in time for summer 2020 big sporting event whatever that is... so another year and a half before we could see one at earliest... theres always gonna be a mkIII and a mkIV and so on :)

Mirrorless can't do what the 1dx range can do.. but will one day :)

Earlier in this thread I may have asked for help about downloading to either my iMac or my Macbook Pro directly via Canon's supplied USB-3 cable and images not being visible. I can't find that post and so perhaps I didn't ask here, but the following info might help someone.

If, as I do, you have both a CFast and CF card loaded and have selected to shoot firstly on the CFast and only have the CF there set for overflow, and then after a shooting session you have not used any overflow, you will find that you are unable to see any images. This is because the 1DX-2 software reads Slot 1 before it reads Slot 2 where the CFast card lives but the CF card is empty without any images to read and hence, to me, fooled me into thinking that something else was wrong.

So the solution I discovered by trial and error is simply to remove the CF card from Slot 1 if it's empty.

Obviously if you use an independent card reader this is not the case.

Oh well.. late 2019 announce.. so it wont be released until late start of 2020.. would assume in time for summer 2020 big sporting event whatever that is... so another year and a half before we could see one at earliest... theres always gonna be a mkIII and a mkIV and so on :)

.... True, the 1DX-2 and mirrorless EOS R offer different advantages and that's why I have streamlined my kit down to just those two bodies.

As I am 71yo I am perhaps more impatient than many folks to enjoy a mirrorless equivalent of a 1DX. As always, it's Horses-for-Courses.

Doesnt setting which card to read first in-camera effect that? YELLOW / ONE / Top option has a PLAYBACK option you can set to either card for reading

Doesnt setting which card to read first in-camera effect that? YELLOW / ONE / Top option has a PLAYBACK option you can set to either card for reading

.... Under that yellow tab I have 'Record func.' set to 'Auto switch card' and 'Record/play' set to card [2]. That's on a 1DX Mark II.

This makes no difference to the problem I had and described.

.... Under that yellow tab I have 'Record func.' set to 'Auto switch card' and 'Record/play' set to card [2]. That's on a 1DX Mark II.

This makes no difference to the problem I had and described.

Surely if you set playback to 1 then it will fix tour problem?

Doesn't Canon (and Nikon) always tend to release new pro models for the summer Olympics?? So every four years or so.
But at least it gives us sometime to earn and save enough to buy the newest models...

Surely if you set playback to 1 then it will fix tour problem?

.... Yes but I no longer have that problem and it easier and quicker just to pull out the CF card than go into the Menu and then remember to reset the menu option afterwards.

The CFast card is as it says on the tin, faster and so I always want to set my shooting to record on that card first.

.... Yes but I no longer have that problem and it easier and quicker just to pull out the CF card than go into the Menu and then remember to reset the menu option afterwards.

The CFast card is as it says on the tin, faster and so I always want to set my shooting to record on that card first.

I am now at paranoid levels and always have shoot to both.... i set to playback 1 (i lock pics to choose on th fly and download to laptop) ... if i take card out and put back without closing door it stays at 1.. but if i close door it jumps to two and the next time i take it out theres nothing locked as there locked on two.. so now I ahve to take two card readers out wiht me.. one for the fast and one for the normal.. its pathetic :(

i dont shoot video so the fast card no good as it will only save to camera as quick as the slowest card.. in slot 1... pain in the neck for non video shooters wanting to use the camera as a camera having two different cards needing two different readers :(

Last edited:
i dont shoot video so the fast card no good as it will only save to camera as quick as the slowest card.. in slot 1... pain in the neck for non video shooters wanting to use the camera as a camera having two different cards needing two different readers :(

.... I don't shoot video either. Are you saying that whenever the (relatively) slower CF is in the slot, the CFast card will only perform as fast as the CF? < Surely this isn't the case as it would make a complete mockery of CFast existence as a second card and Canon don't say anything which suggests this either.

.... I don't shoot video either. Are you saying that whenever the (relatively) slower CF is in the slot, the CFast card will only perform as fast as the CF? < Surely this isn't the case as it would make a complete mockery of CFast existence as a second card and Canon don't say anything which suggests this either.

yes this is 100% true.. IF you shoot as I do above.. to both cards at once.. you don't :)

........ Canon don't say anything which suggests this either.

Yes they do Robin....

One important note: as we’ve hopefully made clear up to now, there are significant potential performance benefits to be had with CFast 2.0™ type cards. EOS-1D X Mark II shooters are free to use both a CF and CFast 2.0™ card at the same time, but if you set the camera to record simultaneously to both (either “Record Separately” or “Record to multiple” settings, described immediately above), the camera has to slow down to meet the performance of the CF card. In other words, users who demand the full performance benefits offered by CFast 2.0™ cards will need to set the camera so that they’re recording to the CFast slot exclusively.
(from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...-CFast-Cards/EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-and-CFast-Cards )

Bob

Yes they do Robin....

One important note: as we’ve hopefully made clear up to now, there are significant potential performance benefits to be had with CFast 2.0™ type cards. EOS-1D X Mark II shooters are free to use both a CF and CFast 2.0™ card at the same time, but if you set the camera to record simultaneously to both (either “Record Separately” or “Record to multiple” settings, described immediately above), the camera has to slow down to meet the performance of the CF card. In other words, users who demand the full performance benefits offered by CFast 2.0™ cards will need to set the camera so that they’re recording to the CFast slot exclusively.
(from https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...-CFast-Cards/EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-and-CFast-Cards )

Bob

.... Thanks Bob but I meant that Canon don't say anything about slower performance if you are using the CF card as overflow (when set to 'Auto switch card'). I realise that performance would become slower than the CFast speed when a CF card is being used to record images to simultaneously such as RAW+JPEG (which I never do).

But cheers for the info :)

I guess that it comes down to how you interpret "cards will need to set the camera so that they’re recording to the CFast slot exclusively"......in your setup, it's clear that the CF slot is configured to record even if it only becomes active when the CFast is full.

I guess that it comes down to how you interpret "cards will need to set the camera so that they’re recording to the CFast slot exclusively"......in your setup, it's clear that the CF slot is configured to record even if it only becomes active when the CFast is full.

.... Ooops! I hadn't read it all carefully enough. Thanks for pointing that out, Bob! I'll now change my settings immediately and wait until I have filled the CFast card before switching to the CF card, which isn't often.

That means setting 'Record funct.' to 'Standard' and selecting slot 2.

My default mode is 14fps but it's usually 3 images at a time unless tracking birds or animals in flight.

I have yet to experience any lag or buffer but it will be interesting to see if I feel any difference when shooting exclusively on the CFast card.

Cheers, Bob! :)

Last edited:
Rumours of a mk 3 late this year, but I can't see a lot of room for improvement that'll tempt me to change mine.

Don't need any more pixels or a higher frame rate, and the af is pretty good.

George.

Rumours of a mk 3 late this year, but I can't see a lot of room for improvement that'll tempt me to change mine.

Don't need any more pixels or a higher frame rate, and the af is pretty good.

George.
I agree! I understand professional sport and wildlife photographers needing an edge in their very competitive fields though.

Is it at all possible for the electronic level to be out.?

Jason, there used to be a facility on some of the cameras (Powershot G1 I believe) to reset the level if you thought it was out, but that facility doesn't seem to be in the 1Dx 2.

I'd suggest you get a builders level on a table to check it is level and see if your camera's level agrees with this.

If not I'd suspect it's a call to Elstree to see what can be done!!

It's all I can think of!!

George.

Iv used Canon for about 45 years or more and always had there top model but the weight of it all is now getting to be a bit too much so im selling half of my Canon gear the mkIII will not be for me .
I am running 2 systems EMI mkII and soon the EM1X along with my 400 Do mkII and 5Dsr I'm keeping that in case Canon do bring out a fast pro type Mirrow less
then I would have 2 light set ups to play with .
Rob.

Is it at all possible for the electronic level to be out.?
I discovered a noticeable disagreement between my 5DSR and Pentax 645Z whilst shoooting some comparisons a while back and your post has prompted me to check on solid ground without the influence of weighty lenses.

My two 1DxMkII's agree perfectly in both axes but are in minor disagreement with my 5DSR laterally and a major disagreement with my 645Z longitudinally.
My previous observation in the field was that there was a quite obvious variation between the 645Z and 5DSR in the longitudinal axis and a quite minor disagreement laterally.

Make of that what you will.

Bob

Last edited:
Margin of error
In all the Canon EOS instruction manuals it says that there is a margin of error of approximately ±1° with these electronic level systems. Will you notice one degree? Probably not, but it'll depend on how much margin your camera displays – for the entry level models like the Canon 800D, the level can only display either 1º or 2º or more, More advanced cameras like the EOS 5D Mark IV show one degree marks up to 7.5º or higher.
The surest way...
If you need to be sure of a level horizon, then a hot-shoe spirit level is your answer. It's a relatively inexpensive accessory and won't take up much room in your kitbag either.

Anybody had this issue, I wanted to double check what images are on my cfast cards before formatting them, however when I press the playback button the screen says no image..? But if I was to format them, 1 says 34gb and the other 16gb. It happens in both cameras, thoughts.?

Do you have a separate cfast card reader?... that should tell you...

Tony, as far as I know there isn't a card reader that does Cfast and CF (unfortunately and please tell me if anyone finds one!) but I wondered if Jason was taking the images straight off the camera or via a card reader, and if the latter then he should be able to see what if anything is on the card by downloading it that way.

Formatted the cards, seem to be ok now.. how bizarre..!!

Any for your interest, I use the Lexar Professional Workflow thingy, I have 2 cfast readers, 2 cf readers and an sd reader and swap them as required.. (y)

Does anyone know what the default settings are for the red menu LENS CORRECTION the four options... ta :)

I am currently having a nightmare with Canon and my 1DXII at the moment..

I ahve a series of 30 matches for a football association in very dark horrible places.. usually start the ISO at 25600 and it's exactly why I bought this camera..

So in dec I decided to have the shutter replaced as a precaustion as it just passed 500 thousand actuations..

it came back and the pics where terrible.. i contacted canon who said calibration would not be effected.. However they took it back, calibrated and ... no better.. So I had to send again with my 70-200 mkII and they calibrated again.. still not mucb better

the amount of testign and failing i ahve to do and not much time other at paid jobs :( I ahve gone last resort.. sent a load of test pics and long letter to the canon CPS rep almost begging for help... Two of the 30 jobs have gone and i struggled.. needs sorting urgent :(

How long do i wait for a response from canon CPS ... Platinum user.. not even a thanks dealing with it :(

Back