Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

I suspect that there's an electronic problem or contact problem within the body, Mark. There's also an outside chance that a momentary short circuit in the lens could dip the voltage briefly.....worth confirming that it happens with different lenses.

Bob
Hmm, that's a good point. I definitely had it happen on my 70-200 but I can't recall seeing it occur when I tested it on my other lenses yesterday. I'll do a bit more checking when I get home tonight. Cheers.

So, my entirely unscientific testing suggests that it's just not happy with my 70-200 IS II for some reason. With that attached it seems to keep resetting but I've been unable to reproduce the effect on other lenses I've tested.

Oddly I've had this lens for about 6 years and never had this on other bodies. Wierd. Will keep an eye on it over the weekend when I can do some better testing.
Hmm, that's a good point. I definitely had it happen on my 70-200 but I can't recall seeing it occur when I tested it on my other lenses yesterday. I'll do a bit more checking when I get home tonight. Cheers.

So, my entirely unscientific testing suggests that it's just not happy with my 70-200 IS II for some reason. With that attached it seems to keep resetting but I've been unable to reproduce the effect on other lenses I've tested.

Oddly I've had this lens for about 6 years and never had this on other bodies. Wierd. Will keep an eye on it over the weekend when I can do some better testing.

Had a similar fault on my first 1DX MKII that only happened with my then new 500 f4 MKII that turned out to be a main board breaking down under load.

So the lens locking mechanism doesnt seem to work.. i can hear it slightly click but it doesnt lock onto the lens.. tried on three... so looks like a trip to canon for mine... may as well get a clean and service while they fix..

unless anyone knows a quick fix?

.....unless anyone knows a quick fix?

The locking pin is attached to a small tab with a spring behind it. The assembly calls for a spot of silicone grease (NFH-743C) so perhaps a little bit of muck has got in there. Try flicking your thumb across the release button to allow the pin to spring out with a bit of gusto (no lens installed).

The locking pin is attached to a small tab with a spring behind it. The assembly calls for a spot of silicone grease (NFH-743C) so perhaps a little bit of muck has got in there. Try flicking your thumb across the release button to allow the pin to spring out with a bit of gusto (no lens installed).

yeagh tried everything.. seems to click in and out ok and i can hear it click into place.. just doesnt hold so not coming out far enough.. guess spring need replacing.... its gone today.. may as well have a sensor clean while its there... 2 day turnaround back for weekend :)

Posted Monday.. Arrived Tuesday.. Fixed paid for and will be back with me Wed..... God bless canon CPS :)

Had a similar fault on my first 1DX MKII that only happened with my then new 500 f4 MKII that turned out to be a main board breaking down under load.

Well, it's gone back to LCE who will pass it on to Canon for a fix. Fault reproduced on multiple lenses, with a different battery etc. Power would blink off briefly and then either come back straight away, or trigger a sensor clean and seemed to happen on occasion if I tilted the camera a certain way. Battery capacity also showed odd jumps up and down for between 5-10% for no obvious reason. So I'm guessing an internal power issue.

Hopefully Canon can quickly fix it. Does anyone have any experience of warranty turn-around times when it's a retailer sending it back? I'm a Gold CPS member, but obviously that won't help in this case, I assume.

Well, it's gone back to LCE who will pass it on to Canon for a fix. Fault reproduced on multiple lenses, with a different battery etc. Power would blink off briefly and then either come back straight away, or trigger a sensor clean and seemed to happen on occasion if I tilted the camera a certain way. Battery capacity also showed odd jumps up and down for between 5-10% for no obvious reason. So I'm guessing an internal power issue.

Hopefully Canon can quickly fix it. Does anyone have any experience of warranty turn-around times when it's a retailer sending it back? I'm a Gold CPS member, but obviously that won't help in this case, I assume.

Just by way of a follow-up on this, in case anyone's interested. Dropped it off at LCE Manchester last Wednesday, they shipped to to Taunton and then on to Canon Elstree, who got it last Friday. Fixed and dispatched back to LCE on Monday, who sent it on to me yesterday. Just got it back and all seems fixed!

According to Canon, they repaired the power switch and battery contacts. All done under original warranty.

So, much kudos to LCE for fantastic customer service and to Canon for a more rapid than expected turnaround.

Last edited:
Yes everyone seems pretty happy with Canon CPS in the UK, certainly mirrors my experience.
Anyone had a mk2 rear screen replaced?....mine's got a bash in it and will need replaced, although it hasn't affected the performance.
Will get it done soon.
George

Yes everyone seems pretty happy with Canon CPS in the UK, certainly mirrors my experience.
Anyone had a mk2 rear screen replaced?....mine's got a bash in it and will need replaced, although it hasn't affected the performance.
Will get it done soon.
George

I might be wrong but I think the rear screen is a plastic/glass shield over the actual LCD, so not too big an issue to change?

HI Jim, unfortunately it looks rather as if someone's put an ice axe through it....gone a bit deep, and I haven't a clue how it happened!

Just going to be a trip to Elstree hospital for a fix....

George.

Folks,

A friend is playing with his 1dx II he is trying to get a fast fps but seeing something strange.

He set his camera to 1/8000 , F8, ISO 51200 but is getting a slow FPS, if he changes his settings to F2.8 but leaves the other 2 his FPS increases?

(I think he is messing about with a rotorlight trying to freeze the waterdroplets when a wet dog shakes)

Thoughts ?

Martin

MENU PURPLE 2
2nd Image priority.. Set to -2

The cameras is checking that each frame is in focus before it shoots at equal or plus.. set to -2 and you should gte full frame rate

He set his camera to 1/8000 , F8, ISO 51200 but is getting a slow FPS, if he changes his settings to F2.8 but leaves the other 2 his FPS increases?
Max FPS decreases as Iso increases (and also with 'Auto Iso' ad a few other settings)

Max FPS decreases as Iso increases (and also with 'Auto Iso' ad a few other settings)

Go on.. wheres the chart for this please ?

MENU PURPLE 2
2nd Image priority.. Set to -2

The cameras is checking that each frame is in focus before it shoots at equal or plus.. set to -2 and you should gte full frame rate

I will pass on the messages and see where we go, thanks

Interesting... he has had a further play and he is only getting 14fps at max aperture as per the txt on page 148....

Interesting... he has had a further play and he is only getting 14fps at max aperture as per the txt on page 148....
The diaphragm has to close (to the required aperture) and open again for each shot in the burst which lengthens the time required for each exposure.

The diaphragm has to close (to the required aperture) and open again for each shot in the burst which lengthens the time required for each exposure.

I had never thought of it in those terms.... It makes sense. it does appear to make a significant difference.....

I am wondering if any of you have experienced any issues with CFast cards. I have two as I keep my 1DXii for sport and wildlife. I am wondering whether I should get another one [not cheap]. I had been hoping for the mirrorless version to be out now and was hedging my bets. Any thoughts please?

I've not had any issues but had my Sandisc ones replaced just in case as there were some issues with early ones I believe.

I started an owners thread which you can have a look at, not convinced it's worth the upgrade but need to try.
Best to put comments on that thread.

George

I've also got a pair of Sandisks (one in each body, no spare)....no issues.

I am wondering if any of you have experienced any issues with CFast cards. I have two as I keep my 1DXii for sport and wildlife. I am wondering whether I should get another one [not cheap]. I had been hoping for the mirrorless version to be out now and was hedging my bets. Any thoughts please?

.... No issues whatsoever with either of my CFast cards in my 1DX-2. Between them they have handled 55k actuations, all RAW files, and have been reformatted after every transfer.

I don't think that you'll see a mirrorless version or equivalent until Canon are absolutely ready and I doubt it will be officially announced for a while. Canon have announced that they are working on a 'professional' EOS-R version, so a kind of '1RX'.

Last edited:
Guys, I have a little camper van. With time it will mainly be used off grid,all good all in hand solar and spilt charge systems etc providing the power .

Has anyone used alternate means to mains electrickery to keep keep their LP -E 19 batteries charged,ie a 12volt maybe USB charger. Maybe even some form of portable solar kit. I can install a pure sine wave inverter in said van to use the conventional charger but it seems nuts to take a 12 volt supply up to 240 just to charge a 12volt battery.

I think canon make a cig lighter 12 volt socket type charger but their chargers are so expensive, I can't locate it at the mo but sure it's around £150. whereas there are alternatives costing much less. Guys I'm wary of using aftermarket batteries these are expensive high end tools so I've just gone with canon's batts. Lithium tech batteries are demanding in how they are charged needing specific charging profiles bla de bla which make me lean towards a canon charger , even though it seems silly expensive.

I just wanted to find out if anyone else has any thoughts or experience to share ?? It's something I will have to sort

no issues with cfast here, I also reformat after every transfer

many thanks for any help on the above

stu

Stu, I just use a cheapo inverter and the OE charger, seems wasteful I agree but does the job most cost effectively for my purpose.

Hey George cheers for the above. I'm not yet sure how stretched i'll be power wise.... camper is part converted electrics not yet complete, partway there: simple solar.and split ,but i'll need to upgrade the whole system for our needs. I've seen a guy using a portable little set up (fold away solar panels while he was completely off grid ie tent camping . Was sort of hoping one of our traveling members might have used something similar.

Many thanks though mate

stu

Jim brilliance thanks very very much. I presume this is also applicable to the LC E 19 charger as well?? . Buddy I've only just seen your post,but I can remove the lead on my charger, so it's already looking likely without reading anything

Lol I had no idea the lead was changeable. Ahh mate that's funny. I would never say I was the sharpest tool in the box. But I've spent ages diggin about and i've missed this completely. Thanks I'm off to read:D

Jim brilliance thanks very very much. I presume this is also applicable to the LC E 19 charger as well?? . Buddy I've only just seen your post,but I can remove the lead on my charger, so it's already looking likely without reading anything

Lol I had no idea the lead was changeable. Ahh mate that's funny. I would never say I was the sharpest tool in the box. But I've spent ages diggin about and i've missed this completely. Thanks I'm off to read:D

I don't think it fits the LCE-19 charger but it does fit the LC-E4 charger from the 1DX Mk1 which is the same charger for the 1D Mk III, Mk IV & 1DX Mk 1.
It should be easy enough to pick up a 2nd hand LC-E4 charger? It's not like you'll be using it all year round.

@KIPAX may be able to confirm if the connection on both charger are the same?

Last edited:
They aren't the same , Jim,sadly................................but I still have my 1Div and hence it's E4 charger. For some reason the smaller connector is ommited on the E19 charger. No idea why ,but on the odd occassion I need this option of charger via 12 V then your little lead should serve me well. . With the canon batteries being the price they are I'll have a dig to find out if there are any adverse effects,I've half a hunch it won't fully charge ,but it will be fine to use so a very practical solution for my needs .

I can't yet find a cig lighter to figure 8 lead,so presume that the fig 8 socket is specifically for 240v. Tis a strange ommision to take the 12 v option off a charger I wonder why they made that design change if that is the case

many thanks

Yes, it's the small 3 pin socket to the right of the figure 8 socket, it charges my 1DX batteries with no issues

Last edited:
Back