Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

OP
OP
George

George

Chasseur Haggis extraordinaire
Edit My Images
Yes
The battery will only recalibrate when that option comes up when you stick it in the charger....you can't force it to do it just because it's only showing moderate.

Frankly I doubt that it makes much difference to the performance, but I seem to remember Canon Bob who has a better technical knowledge on these matters than I gave a more in depth response once on this subject.

Let's hope he sees this post!!

George.

Edit My Images
No
I read something on the website that it will only do recalibration if the battery is exhausted. As George says, perhaps Canon Bob will chime in.

OP
OP
George

George

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't think it has to be exhausted completely, although of course when it goes through the recalibration process it will discharge completely, and as I said, this will only happen when in the camera in the menu you look at the battery charge it will tell you to recalibrate next time you recharge it.

OP
OP
George

George

Edit My Images
Yes
Found this which explains it better...

Keeping batteries in top working order requires that they are calibrated from time to time. By calibrating batteries, you ensure that they hold their charge and also you are able to accurately report how well the batteries hold their charge when in the camera. When performing a calibration charge with the LP-E19, the charger will fully deplete the battery and then fully charge it. It is best to begin the process when you have time, as it will take around 18-19hrs in total. To maximise the performance of the calibration charge, begin calibration with an almost exhausted battery.

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
I don't think it does George.. How I read that is, it's saying I can / could manually calibrate, its dent mention that the camera / charger needs to activate the cal blinkies.

I have the manual in iBooks and have gone over and over it, hence I posted on here if people have a better understanding to it.. lol

Canon Bob

Loves the Enemy
Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
My understanding (based on earlier 1srs bodies) is that the camera sets a status bit in the battery that is needed for the charger to initiate a calibration cycle and I'm not aware of any way to manually set the required bit although some text does seem to imply (without explanation) that one can choose to calibrate at will.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody using the WFT-E8 for remote shooting via the app.? Looking at getting one, feedback would be helpful.
In truth I found Canons implementation of WFT to be cumbersome and unreliable.
I wound up buying a very long Ethernet cable and, whilst trailing it from my laptop is a bit messy, it works much better and a lot faster.

Edit My Images
No
No joy with Canon today, they just said refer to the manual.!! Not very helpful if you ask me.
Well after hunting around in the on line manual I found the appropriate page and the screenshots won't load on here so trying something else. If it still doesn't show p45 of the manual. There is another one but I will see if this one 'holds' first. Third bullet point.

1565864674156.png

Last edited:
Edit My Images
No
And here is the second page. I also read that if it loses charges very quickly after charging then it has reached the end of its service life. I could find nothing about enabling you to calibrate it without the green light flashing. Perhaps ring somewhere like Lehman's in Stoke - a CPS service centre - and ask them. 01782 413611.

1565864823427.png

Last edited:
Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
Well after hunting around in the on line manual I found the appropriate page and the screenshots won't load on here so trying something else. If it still doesn't show p45 of the manual. There is another one but I will see if this one 'holds' first. Third bullet point.

View attachment 252592
You can only press the cal button if the cal green light is flashing, you can’t manually calibrate the batteries, which is what I’m trying to do..

Name
Jason
Edit My Images
No
In truth I found Canons implementation of WFT to be cumbersome and unreliable.
I wound up buying a very long Ethernet cable and, whilst trailing it from my laptop is a bit messy, it works much better and a lot faster.
I like your thinking, not sure I want to cart my laptop around with the rest of my kit as well, I’ve got enough to carry.. lol