Canon 1D X Mk II Owners Thread

.....But it seems I can only charge the e19 battery on it's deadicated charger .....
I think that you'll find that LP-E19's will charge in the older LC-E4 charger but charging will stop before they're at full capacity. I expect that this will limit the total number of shots before you need to charge again but not the frame rate.

@George
I can give you a loan of my 12v lead and charger the next time you're off on holibags if you wish, be interesting to see how you get on.

@George
I can give you a loan of my 12v lead and charger the next time you're off on holibags if you wish, be interesting to see how you get on.

Thanks, Jim, but I'm ok, I think it was Stuart who had the problem, I've usually got mains at least every other day to so.
Cheers, George.

Last edited:
I think that you'll find that LP-E19's will charge in the older LC-E4 charger but charging will stop before they're at full capacity. I expect that this will limit the total number of shots before you need to charge again but not the frame rate.

It appears not Bob sadly . Simply the -E19 battery will not fit the E4 charger, ok put it this way I've just tried in good light with huge care,it does not want to fit. It's taken me a while to work out why, but I think it have it. The E19 battery is a different shape to the E4 damn subtle, outer lug by contacts is larger.
It is exactly as Rudy Winston States, Bob To charge the E19 ie batt with red stripe ,one needs the Deadicated canon changer ie LC E19 ie charger with red stripe.

Here's the clever bit though the E19 battery fits exactly in the 1 D iv fits perfectly and the camera works fine. That outer lug on the E19 battery looks about a mm thicker just enough to prevent charging with any other charger but not enough to stop us using the new batteries on older cameras.. It's great in some ways Bob I can buy a brand new battery for my old mark iv. But wiith a caviat the LC -E 19 charger must be bought too, and sadly that rules out Jim's lead and 12 volt unless there is a 12 V option on the figure 8 socket, that is. I'd suspect there is some form of maybe stepdowm transformer wired to the fig 8, which prevents 12volt being viable......???? maybe?

Jim, the above is pointless as George's E19 battery will NOT fit, your charger but mate I really appreciate your efforts . I can use my 1 Div batteries alongside the two E19's I own. which would get me out of jail right now if the ever senario arose. Long term it's not ideal but I've learnt alot from following your leads ( please excuse that):LOL:

Naturally I wonder on the why's why have they taken out the 12volt option on the 1DXii charger and also why it must have a deadicated charger. There must be some algory thingy...a special profile for charging or sommit,but it's sort of weird because the battery still works the older 1 series bodies. Does this rule out aftermarket chargers????

Although I now have a part workaround to keep shooting it's not ideal as the 1DXii won't be at full working capacity as the E4 battery isn't powerful enough.

Ha why can't things be simple:D. I'll keep working on this one. It's not really a problem for me as yet simply I don't make enough images in a trip. But at some stage it will be. Maybe it's back to you George and a simple inverter.

Guys as always thank you!! you are always so helpful !!

cheers

It appears not Bob sadly . Simply the -E19 battery will not fit the E4 charger, ok put it this way I've just tried in good light with huge care,it does not want to fit. It's taken me a while to work out why, but I think it have it. The E19 battery is a different shape to the E4 damn subtle, outer lug by contacts is larger.
It is exactly as Rudy Winston States, Bob To charge the E19 ie batt with red stripe ,one needs the Deadicated canon changer ie LC E19 ie charger with red stripe.
Sorry about that Robin.....my bad. I wonder why Rudy uses the following wording in the link that you quoted
Note that this charger MUST be used to fully charge the new LP-E19 battery pack. (by implication, the LP-E19 can be partially charged in the older one?)

I have to apologise, I actually knew that you could only charge the mk2 batteries in the mk2 charger, as you say, Stuart, but had forgotten ....an age thing!

I'd just go the inverter route, simple and cheap!

George

Bob ,I'm stu Robin's the clever one:LOL:, and no idea why maybe there is no implication as he would know it doesn't fit?? Alot get;s lost for me Bob in the translation from American to English .................I read it as you have:) . It's just I have the bit's right in front of me to compare so can physically check.

George no probs it comes to us all mate:D!! Seriously though this has been good for me I'd never really looked at battery compatability before so I've learnt and now realize I have more options than I previously thought besides the 12volt thing that this was about

all good lads

Bob,on every level I'm not the sharpest tool in the box,I'm not like you guys mate I know it i'm good with it, that's why I revel in your help .

But yeah sometimes stuff flies over me 'ead here this does. Maybe I've mislead you ...I'm good at that:D My childhood sweetie is Shaz i'm forty years or so in to a relationship with a girl. I'm cool with same sex couples Bob, but worth saying ( My son might read thiis LMAO) . I was sort of referring to (Red) Robin that posts here, I thought you had mixed us up somehow but couldn't believe how .............cause he's this amazing tog............ and I'm me:)

...................... Is everyone having senior moments tonight or is it just me???????? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bob tell me what's inside these chargers why have they done this? you have an encyclpedic knowledge of these cameras why pull 12volt connection, for a camera fit for the Arctic that's nuts............... why do I need a different battery charger for E19 battery what is so special about it.......... what are the mechanics it is ONLY a bit more powerful.................. these are my real questions!!

Oh and to Chipper waaaay back. There isn't enough for me to up grade to mark III bar one thing. That facility on the BBF button. It is something I yearn for when shooting waaay tooo close to Lepus europeas the abiltiy to move FP's VERY FAST . I'd disable it alot buut there is a niche up close where it would be so useful......we deal in splits of second :why have an extra step. As a guy that uses tools,( bits of scrap wood) that I make out of rubbish, to make a crust.................... sometimes designer and craftsman seem so far apart. why didn't they do this way back I also genuinely feel blessed to own a mark ii and still feel it has more capabilities than I really scratch the surface of. so I won't up grade this generation.

Chipper the single big thing I didn't see in all this was the noise these camera make. I've been blessed to have always adored nature have always watched ickle foxes woodpeckers brock all me local beasties it's always been my thang I guess there is nearly half a century of it .......... I just didn't see how much camera noise would change those experiences. I guess Canon would make me happy with a totally silent 1DXmark ii if I'm honest . Sure I'm learning to work the camera sounds to draw subjects.....but really I'd just rather they didn't know I was there like normal. So logically for me a fairly late adopter of the mark II it will be some form of silent 1D that might be of interest I'd guess that is coming with mirrorless .

Bob note how much I'm smiling a simple miss understanding, funny though. I really would love to know more about these batteries. The camper and off grid has made me study batteries and chargers abit George still has the simple option, but it still bugs me I can't pin down 12volt or even USB made by canon for say a tog in the artic or wild camping. in the middle of nowhere.

cheers all

Bob,on every level I'm not the sharpest tool in the box,I'm not like you guys mate I know it i'm good with it, that's why I revel in your help .

But yeah sometimes stuff flies over me 'ead here this does. Maybe I've mislead you ...I'm good at that:D My childhood sweetie is Shaz i'm forty years or so in to a relationship with a girl. I'm cool with same sex couples Bob, but worth saying ( My son might read thiis LMAO) . I was sort of referring to (Red) Robin that posts here, I thought you had mixed us up somehow but couldn't believe how .............cause he's this amazing tog............ and I'm me:)

...................... Is everyone having senior moments tonight or is it just me???????? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Bob tell me what's inside these chargers why have they done this? you have an encyclpedic knowledge of these cameras why pull 12volt connection, for a camera fit for the Arctic that's nuts............... why do I need a different battery charger for E19 battery what is so special about it.......... what are the mechanics it is ONLY a bit more powerful.................. these are my real questions!!
Senior moments....precisely Stu, my brain and fingers get out of sync when I type.

By way of an apology I've popped my LC-E19 open to see what would be entailed in adding a 12v input. I can continue the investigation if hacking your power supply is something that you'd consider? Meanwhile, this is what it looks like inside......the 110-220v input is the black lump on the top left and the 3 sets of flying leads have been disconnected from the cover and they mate up with the display LED's and charging terminals.
p3788926365.jpg

Last edited:
This inside of that LC-E19 looks different to the LC-E4, I'm wondering if it would be possible to swap the bare lid (without the PC board in the lid) from the LC-E19 and marry it to the LC-E4? Would this allow the M2 batteries to fit on the LC-E4 charger?

This inside of that LC-E19 looks different to the LC-E4, I'm wondering if it would be possible to swap the bare lid (without the PC board in the lid) from the LC-E19 and marry it to the LC-E4? Would this allow the M2 batteries to fit on the LC-E4 charger?
I'll dig my LC-E4 charger out tomorrow and have a look. At the moment it appears that the simplest solution will be to use a craft knife and cut 6mm off the tabs in the groove of the LP-E19 batteries. The internal difference may be simply down to the 12v input.

I've had chance to try a few things with the power supplies......
The internal connectors are reversed between the LC-E4 and LC-E19 so a lid swap isn't a simple procedure.
I then removed 6mm from the tabs on an LP-E19 battery using a craft knife (I've managed to stem the bleeding) so that the LP-E19 fits on the LC-E4 charger....it won't charge it and results in all LED's flashing (both sides of the charger even with only one battery).

Looks like a 100w inverter is the best way forwards for 12v availability.

Last edited:
As ever, Bob, anything for a laugh!!!!...I'm impressed!!
Canon don't make it easy, do they?

Bob what a lovely thing to do thank you and you have no need to apologise at all:) Tis fascinating though. You know what lads ,you represent what I've always admired and been somewhat bewildered by about photographers you go out of you way to help even simple guys like me. Sorry for going off on one but it really is a lovely thing in today's dog eat dog world. I know you are all deeply passionate about image making , and want to share, that passion................... don't matter which way it's cut it's still a thing of lovliness:D.

Bob frankly i'm worried about doing anything to my E19 charger it's not just cost related but also how little I know. I have the soldering tools and skill set , I can find an aftermarket charger for around £40 but I'm fearful of that option. Bob all my fears are centered on the difference in the batteries. Canon very much seem to have done something deliberate to stop us charging the new batteries in the older charger,it sort of smacks of marketing until one factors in the backwards compatability,ok the charger is silly expensive!! Logically the batteries have to be terribly similar but something within the charging sphere must be different

Bob ,I type slow I've just seen your new post,I knew of the flashing lights: someone somewhere in webland shoe horned an E19 into an E4 charger same result wish I'd of mentioned this . .... please don't chop bits off you for me. Yes still George has the safe option bar aftermarket. I'm digging around the web Bob in the hope of finding someone with some length of experience without any issues.

Ha George you guys are bril and no they don't !

. I see the world through simple eyes this seems rediculous actually. I thought one line ie Jim's post or similar would have me sorted.

How does a pro wildlife tog go into the middle of nowhere say wild camping tent, no van with a 1DX ii for any length of times. If one was really putting everything in to a trip for a special bird or beastie . Do canon just say:" rely on carrying enough batteries and don't take too many pics." Guys do you see what I'm trying to articulate I'm deeply bewildered here. It seems like a step back from previous 1 series bodies

I've also asked stateside about workarounds. As an aside Morten Hilmer has a video about charging batteries off grid but Morten shoots Nikon maybe of iinterest lay aside the difference between a dxii and the other 1 series bodies re battery charging it still might be of interest.

Thanks lads, I have to say I'm completely bemused by this at the moment .

The whole battery thing is interesting, I have a pal with whom we go on quite a few trips, for example a month in the Maasai Mara, so we have plenty of time to compare, and he shoots with the equivalent Nikon to my Mk II. His battery life is at least twice mine.
I also notice that on the publicity blah on the new mk3 they say it's battery life is much improved over the mk2...'twill be interesting to see!!

George.

Here's a little extra information to come out of the testing that I did earlier......

Canon state that the batteries are backwards compatiable and LP-E4's and LP-E4N's can be charged on the LC-E19. I still have a 1Ds3 and 1D4 along with some LP-E4's but use the LC-E19 charger for all my batteries. Last year an old LP-E4 (possibly 9-11 years old) refused to charge or calibrate on the LC-E19 so I marked with a big red X and stuck in a drawer in case I ever needed to transplant the end mount to a working battery. With the LC-E4 out of the box for the tests I popped the 'dead' LP-E4 on it and it requested calibration, it calibrated and is now showing as charged.
Don't assume that your LP-E4/4N's have expired just because the LC-E19 says that they have.

Last edited:
That's Interesting. I have a "dead" LP-E4 that I have been trying to charge on my LC-E19. I'll try it on the LC-E4 tonight.

Thanks Bob,

Neil

Save me looking through the manual please... Why am I only getting C1,C2,C3 with P ?

Save me looking through the manual please... Why am I only getting C1,C2,C3 with P ?
Difficult to say without knowing how you're setup but I'll take a guess that you've hit the M-fn button?

Difficult to say without knowing how you're setup but I'll take a guess that you've hit the M-fn button?

Not touching owt... The only options i have when going through the modes (apart from usual) are C1 ... etc with P added :(

I scroll through M, tv, blah blah and the only custome functions ar with a P ?

Attachments

• P1160569.jpg
    P1160569.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 16
searched.. been through all menus... stuck :(

I have my C1-C3 dedicated to AV mode. You haven't inadvertently resaved them when you were in P mode by accident?

I have my C1-C3 dedicated to AV mode. You haven't inadvertently resaved them when you were in P mode by accident?

But I cleared all the settings... Plus its NOT when i select C1 as per the picture.. Its when i scroll through all the modes.. i get Av, Tv ,P ,M and PC1 PC2 PC3 and no C1 c2 or c3 options .....

So its before you even select C1 .. its the options when scrolling through modes ..

So.. it would seem if you clear all settings.. then set c1,c2 and c3 as available.. the default is Pc1 ect ... When you save some setting it shows whatever mode you where in when you set it...

What confused me was.. I was never in P and i had saved some settings... now either it didnt save or i dunno what ... but seems to have sorted itself out now :)

So.. it would seem if you clear all settings.. then set c1,c2 and c3 as available.. the default is Pc1 ect ... When you save some setting it shows whatever mode you where in when you set it...

What confused me was.. I was never in P and i had saved some settings... now either it didnt save or i dunno what ... but seems to have sorted itself out now :)
You can't clear the settings if you're in C1, C2 or C3 so it neccessitates changing the mode before attempting to clear. The next mode in the sequence happens to be P so if you then register the settings again they will be in P unless you change the mode again prior to registering the settings.

You going for a mk3 Robin???.....come on don't be shy!!!!

George.

.... No, awesome as the 1DX-3 promises to be, I switched to the Olympus E-M1X Pro system last November and have absolutely no regrets. For me personally the Olympus is far more enabling and practical - I don't have to leave lenses behind due to bulk and weight and its weatherproofing is currently second to none and is officially certified.

Here is a Flickr album of my efforts shooting Olympus so far :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157711552661781

I loved my Canon EOS system but.

.... No, awesome as the 1DX-3 promises to be, I switched to the Olympus E-M1X Pro system last November and have absolutely no regrets. For me personally the Olympus is far more enabling and practical - I don't have to leave lenses behind due to bulk and weight and its weatherproofing is currently second to none and is officially certified.

Here is a Flickr album of my efforts shooting Olympus so far :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157711552661781

I loved my Canon EOS system but.

Great pictures Robin! Any downside to the Olympus?

Great pictures Robin! Any downside to the Olympus?

.... Thanks Tim!

Downside to the Olympus E-M1X Pro system? Well there's no such thing as the perfect camera, as we all know!

Hmm, compared with Canon full-frame the Olympus doesn't handle high ISO values as well. But it makes up for it to some extent (sometimes and according to target) by having exceptional image stabilisation (body and lens). Topaz DeNoise AI really benefits. I only shoot RAW and use Capture One not Lightroom.

The Canon Supertelephoto lenses on F-F have a shallower DoF and consequently smoother/creamier background bokehs but if you accept that and position yourself accordingly if/when you can, it becomes less of a criticism. In fact, the Olympus's deeper DoF can potentially have definite advantages depending what you are shooting.

It's all down to managing expectations and not getting lost in making comparisons. Work with and exploit what you've got rather than focus on what you haven't got.

The point is that the Olympus suits me and what I shoot very well indeed. The E-M1X body is as if Canon had designed a m4/3 version of the 1DX-2 !

Hey Robin, Was your decision to move to Olympus influenced by a certain professional wildlife photographer.? Also how do you think it will cope in hide 15 at WBB..

Last edited:
Hey Robin, Was your decision to move to Olympus influenced by a certain professional wildlife photographer.?

.... Hi Jason. My decision was influenced by two different wildlife professional photographers - Firstly Tesni Ward and secondly Andy Rouse.

In 2018 I spent a 1-1 day with Tesni - We were both shooting Canon D-SLR 1DX-2 but I later saw her work and blogs about the Olympus and consequently became interested.

However, I had not planned to switch from Canon until I met Andy Rouse at a talk he gave at Slimbridge in autumn 2019 which was very general about wildlife photo techniques rather than about cameras - His examples had been shot on a great variety of camera systems which included his current Olympus E-M1X Pro system. He was not specifically promoting Olympus. We had known each other online for a couple of years and had always looked forward to meeting in person. After his talk he let me handle his Olympus E-M1X with 300mm F/4 Pro (600mm equivalent) mounted. I was instantly impressed by the tactile feel, ergonomics and similarity to my 1DX-2 (which I love!) but importantly the reduced weight and bulk. However, I would not have switched to the smaller E-M1 which I would find too unbalanced and awkward for shooting portrait orientation. The E-M1X is exactly the same size within a couple of mm as my EOS-R with battery grip and only about 50g heavier.

I was able to have on sale-or-return an E-M1X + 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro (80-300mm) for 30 days and had decided within about 7 days to switch to this particular Olympus Pro system which is their flagship as the 1DX is for Canon. I sold my EF 500mm F/4L II before even advertising it and then added the Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro (600mm) and also teleconverters. I now have two M1X bodies with identical custom settings so I don't miss shots faffing around changing lenses in the field and in bad weather etc.

I want to emphasise that I don't think that one is better than the other but only that one suits me individually better than the other. The Olympus is more enabling for me to continue developing my potential. I am 72yo and the Olympus system is more practical for me out in the field.

Also how do you think it will cope in hide 15 at WBB..

.... The only "hide 15" which comes to mind is in the forests of Finland! Where is "WBB" please?

But I don't understand you asking how it would cope. In what way? Why would the Olympus E-M1X Pro system's ability to cope be in question?

Btw, I have checked out your website and hats off big time to your photos! Some superb pictures.

Back