canon 1dx a bit quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if it's September that would be nearly a year after it's announcement.

Something must have been seriously wrong for it to take a year to get to full production.

Me thinks Tony is wise to wait.

As I said earlier in the post, I had a play for 2 days last week but results, which of course I'm not putting up for reasons previously explained, were a wee bit varied on one aspect, and I want another go...could have been operator error..hoping to get that week after next.
Will post again then, but it certainly looks impressive at high iso, would love to have compared it to a 5D3.
George.

To be honest i wouldnt touch one wiht a bargepole now :( not until next year.. I would wait until everyone has them and everyones happy then get one... I was desperate and wanted to be in the front que for one.. my confidence is shattered wiht it now though..

I will have one but only when its proven... I didnt think the mkIII debacle was possible again.. now not prepared to spend thousands on a maybe ..

I am of the same view Tony, It is becoming an embarrassment, not only for Canon and the 1DX but also for Nikon and the D4 ....

The fact that the largest sporting event ever is just around the corner must be putting a hell of a lot of pressure on the big two.

I looked at some of my images from the mkiv the other day, I just thought how much better would they have been if taken with the 1DX, my answer was they probably would be no better. I can wait a year or so.

I also wanted to be out in front with the 1DX and was invited to join the CPS Platinum waiting list early on in the proceedings, I decided to wait and see how it panned out. I'm glad i decided to wait. I will still purchase one, but only when all the creases have been ironed out. I will also keep one of my MKIV's as I don't want to loose the 1.3 crop factor.

The 5D3 is very attractive and I considered it, but the slower frame rate was the reason I held off buying one.

Lets see how it all develops in the next few months.

Just saw this on POTN
--------------------------------
I just got info today from Canon Australia, the 1D X camera body will start ship to people who pre-ordered, shipment date End-June (or 1st week of July), but very limited stock.

Looking forward !
--------------------------------

I looked at some of my images from the mkiv the other day, I just thought how much better would they have been if taken with the 1DX, my answer was they probably would be no better. I can wait a year or so..

i keep doing the same but wiht a totally different answer :) Did a dance festival yesterday and know for sure a 1dx would ahve been miles better.. But I ahve been doing that since the announcement was made.. I should stop :)

I am of the same view Tony, It is becoming an embarrassment, not only for Canon and the 1DX but also for Nikon and the D4
Why for the D4, they are being produced and distributed, there were some on shot at the Ethiad last weekend, there are guys on here who are purley hobbyists who have got them, there are a couple rumours about a single lower left AF point not working correctly but thats being sorted with a firmware update.

Why for the D4, they are being produced and distributed, there were some on shot at the Ethiad last weekend, there are guys on here who are purley hobbyists who have got them, there are a couple rumours about a single lower left AF point not working correctly but thats being sorted with a firmware update.

I read similar Gary, Thats why I mentioned the D4.

- A Photo magazine editor here in Sweden has been told by Canon he will receive his production body mid June
- A sport shooter has received a preproduction unit as a loan and was told his production units would be delivered to him when he is at the Euro

Hmm if it's mid June for production models then why ship out PRE-production ones a couple of weeks before? Unless of course this photo was taken a few weeks ago.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/preproduction-canon-eos-1d-x-exists/

Someat aint quite right.

So maybe that photos was taken some time ago.

Or it may just be a photo of some empty boxes. Or that could be a final production model sticker.

Those are more likely than not full production units. My pre production camera came in a white unmarked box with no instruction manual, Just the camera, battery charger and AF setup booklet.

So maybe that photos was taken some time ago.

Or it may just be a photo of some empty boxes. Or that could be a final production model sticker.

Both valid reasons.
I don't think we will ever get the full story.

Looks like Canon have struggled to get them ready for the market in time for these big sports events.
They have managed to fix whatever problem they were having and now they are really running out of time...

The reason why Canon decided to distribute these preproduction units is obviously to give some selected sport shooters
the possibility to get to know them before they can deliver the production units (and that might be right in the middle of the Olympic/Euro games)

Last edited:
candersson said:
The reason why Canon decided to distribute these preproduction units is obviously to give some selected sport shooters the possibility to get to know them before they can deliver the production units (and that might be right in the middle of the Olympic/Euro games)

Just to repeat what I've said before...

The guys that are likely to use a 1Dx for the Olympics have already got them.

Not got yours then Mark for the Equestirian events???

Hmm if it's mid June for production models then why ship out PRE-production ones a couple of weeks before? Unless of course this photo was taken a few weeks ago.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/preproduction-canon-eos-1d-x-exists/

Someat aint quite right.

Maybe that box was it for the whole country! :eek:

I was speaking to someone who works for Canon on Friday, though as a demonstrator I think, and they said that someone was asking about the 1DX or the 5DIII, and they said get the 5DIII as there are only about 8 1DX's in the country. :eek: I'm hoping for those waiting that that was a huge exaggeration. ;) :LOL:

Canon really need to sort out their press releases imo.

Speculation isnt good for trust, they would be better off stating there is a hardware issue they need to fix and it will be a 6month delay. Pushing it back time and time again with no real excuse just makes people question if they are spending £5k on a paperweight.

And would anyone be able to tell me which photos at the French Open were taken with a 1Dx or a D4?

Canon Canada now saying a few will be delivered in July.

I wonder if it will ever come out exactly what the hardware problem was?

A shambles really. Why don't they just announce it when they know it's 100% ready to ship.

Why don't they just announce it when they know it's 100% ready to ship.

Because their main competitor has released a similar product, and to leave the market open to their new camera may have tempted some to switch. :shrug:

No info coming from Canon leaves potential upgraders in limbo waiting, but waiting, and not moving.

A risky move, to risk p*ssing off potential buyers, but as with Nikon and their no info about stock levels, they must feel they'll have the people there to buy them whenever they release it. :thinking:

They're probably not wrong sadly. :shake:

But they announced it months before the D4.

Because their main competitor has released a similar product, and to leave the market open to their new camera may have tempted some to switch. :shrug:

No info coming from Canon leaves potential upgraders in limbo waiting, but waiting, and not moving.

A risky move, to risk p*ssing off potential buyers, but as with Nikon and their no info about stock levels, they must feel they'll have the people there to buy them whenever they release it. :thinking:

They're probably not wrong sadly. :shake:

What other options do you have?

They have a captive market and they know it. Few other industries get away with not having even the most rudimentary of roadmaps for clients.

But they announced it months before the D4.

Both Canon and Nikon would probably have been expected to release their new top of range camera before the Olympics. (hope the copyright police don't come after the use of the word 'Olympics' ;) :LOL:) The 1DX was announced first, and so Canon users presumed they would be getting the camera before any D4 would be released, and so not be tempted to change.

That may have not been 'a plan', but the lack of any update information achieves the same thing. :shrug:

All good things come for those who wait... Just don't get me to wait much longer or it will black instead of white that I will see at the end of the tunnel...

Had an invite to go and try the 1DX and the new lenses next Wednesday at Lords.
Had my 5D3 since March and can't be bothered going to be honest.
Happily taking pics with the 5D3 and will look into the 1DX again at Christmas.
If it even exists as a production model by then...... They might even have called me to say my camera order is available by then :)

I give up... bought a whole load of new mem cards and other bits.. nearly spent all the deposit i had returned....what wiht the 4000mm going to canon for calibration and now a camera... My target now to buy a 1dx is next summer... thats presuming business is good enough to warrant the outlay then...

feel better for making the decision as well..not wondering or worrying or fretting over when its coming and all that money :)

Had a call from my store. Seems they're hoping to do the initial roll out in a week or two (with the Olympic priority list) then a month/2month delay for the rest.

Really happy with the fact my store contacted me to actually tell me this, even if its not the news I really wanted.

Had a call from my store. Seems they're hoping to do the initial roll out in a week or two (with the Olympic priority list) then a month/2month delay for the rest.

Really happy with the fact my store contacted me to actually tell me this, even if its not the news I really wanted.

Cost of a phone call = 5p

Cost to Canon of losing a customer to Nikon = £10,000

Canon aint stupid, however !!!!!!!!!!!!

Frothing at the mouth with anticipation. Also waiting for my 600mm MKII... before end of this month will be good ;)

Last edited:
If you are frothing then I think you should do an unboxing video :)

If you are frothing then I think you should do an unboxing video :)

Nah.. that's been done before... I'll do the making of the unboxing in HD 4K..... :LOL: (Darn it... Now I need a 1Dc :bang: )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back