canon 1dx a bit quiet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Camera felt really good, a huge improvement over the 1DMKIV. Not gone through my shots yet. I will post samples once I work on them.
Humble pie comes to mind after today.

As a hopeful advocate of the 1DX this sounds very good. :)

But just get the thing out already Canon! I'm going to be too old and feeble to hold the thing by the time it's available. :puke: We're on a countdown for the financial year and hardware purchases, so if it's not out soon it's going to miss the boat and I'll have to buy something else or wait till next year. Bunch of Canon poopheads. :p

Well.. Bye bye 1DX for the 2012 season of shoots then.. :nono:

Via Northlight Images, http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/Canon_new_lenses.html comes this announcement:

United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, 12th April 2012 – Canon would like to advise of an updated sales start dates for the previously announced EOS-1D X and EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM lens, due to a delay to the start of mass production. The EOS-1D X will now be available to buy from mid-June 2012, and the EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM lens from early-July.
We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to customers.

Apart from missing the equipment budget for this financial year, by the time this is integrated into my workflow with all the necessary software and firmware updates I need to get it working as I like it, we'd be talking about end of August before it's up to speed for me. Oh well. Missed the boat on this one. :thumbsdown:

I'd like to see it confirmed, but I'm taking it as fact as Northlight Images has always been a good source of Canon info. (y)

This entry is a brand new one so I guess it could have been sent directly to him from the official source and posted ASAP.

The purchasing decisions we had planned at the end of last year look like they're going to be overhauled this week. Oh well. I wanted something to do. :D

This is the not so helpful response from the people wiht my 500 quid deposit still sat there..

Hi we have no news yet but if this is on the Canon Uk website is possibly
true. All the best.

Thanks Howard and Bob.. I was probably looking too hard.. and yet again Canon/CPS who have me on a priority list and have my email have decided not to inform me of this news.. even after I complained at the lack of info a week or so ago and was given an apology... it happens again..

I got an email from CPS France this morning Tony....no mention of the delay though :shrug:

Bob

Well I was really dissapointed last time they delayed it and didnt tell me.. in this day and age with database and emails.. it wouldnt kill them to let the people on the priority list who have paid deposits know whats going on.. I got an apology for the lack of info last time... then they do it again..

Poor to say the least

So I ahve now cancelled my test date next week and cancelled my order and await news of my £500 being deposited in my account..

I will probably buy one.. but instead of being one of the first and in effect free trialing it.. I will get it after the reviews of actual users..

Not happy.. but time to stand up for myself.. I am the customer wiht thousands of pounds in my pocket being treated like I dont exist :( Yes most of my reason for cancelling isnt the delay or the camera.. just the shoddy treatment from canon :(

I spent the day with Frankie Jim yesterday and even though I did complain about the initial delay not being relayed to me with good time to make my plans, he did not mention anything about further delays, this was yesterday...:shrug:

I spent the day with Frankie Jim yesterday and even though I did complain about the initial delay not being relayed to me with good time to make my plans, he did not mention anything about further delays, this was yesterday...:shrug:

What makes you think he would be in the loop about any of this stuff? These decisions are made at the very top level of the company. He just works for CPS UK.

What makes you think he would be in the loop about any of this stuff? These decisions are made at the very top level of the company. He just works for CPS UK.

given his title and his job and the fact the news was on the website today.. i would be amazed and dissapointed if he wasnt aware..

I have worked on my files and it is a bit of a mixed bag... this is what I found using the 1Dx with the following lenses attached... Ef 400mm f/2.8ISMKII 90% hit rate. With the EF 300mm f/2.8 MKII 95% hit rate in fact most lenses I tried (included the fun to use 8-15mm fisheye) had a very good hit rate with most of the misses being more likely than not user error... but, the 24-70 MKII did not get a single shot in focus (Ai servo) which is very worrying indeed...

Well I was really dissapointed last time they delayed it and didnt tell me.. in this day and age with database and emails.. it wouldnt kill them to let the people on the priority list who have paid deposits know whats going on.. I got an apology for the lack of info last time... then they do it again..

Poor to say the least

So I ahve now cancelled my test date next week and cancelled my order and await news of my £500 being deposited in my account..

I will probably buy one.. but instead of being one of the first and in effect free trialing it.. I will get it after the reviews of actual users..

Not happy.. but time to stand up for myself.. I am the customer wiht thousands of pounds in my pocket being treated like I dont exist :( Yes most of my reason for cancelling isnt the delay or the camera.. just the shoddy treatment from canon :(

Do not cancel your slot for Manchester. It is a fun event and you will like the camera. Don't make rushed red misted decisions Tony!

Canon are not give much time between sale date and olympics, unless they have already sorted the agencies out with their new kit.

Now much of this delay is due to the 5D III , and Canon now having to ensure the X is better than the half price 5D III especially in the AF department. Or are they pushing cine a lot more at Canon with the announcement of the 30-Inch 4K Industrial Video Display and the EOS 1D C, that stills is getting pushed back. There have been 8 press releases today from Canon 7 about cine or HD lenses and 1 The 1Dx delay

Info about the delay is also on The Digital Picture website ( which tends to be quick with any Canon or Nikon news)

Last edited:
After a more careful analysis of the images I took yesterday. I will say the camera performed beyond my expectations. Most OOF shots were (as stated) user error (fast panning very low shutter speed).
Of the static full frontal approach shots I took, the camera performed with amazing hit rate, just marginally missing my intended focal point (front focus) which can be sorted by configuring your AFMA as needed.

Last edited:
Pin sharp shot Ivan, I was getting a bit fed up with the lack of information coming out of Canon regarding delivery and issues. Paid large deposit in January, reading the few reviews and pictures has made me happy to wait a few weeks longer.

I have had confirmation from Frankie that I am on the priority list so may have it in my hand by the end of June. Pity I could not put it through the books in the last financial year; to think I would have it before the 5th April...Duh!

You'll do well to keep that order Paul.

Last edited:
Please note to protect my bandwidth I will take the full resolution images off the server tonight.

I've got it now !

The delay is while Canon find a solution to stop you buying a 1D X and loading it with the firmware from a 1D C and saving yourself £5000 :)

Do you own the 300mm 2.8 MkII or was it one belonging to Canon?

The event was held a the raceway opposite the Thames barrier. I had to cross the whole of London and I went there with my bike so, no room for gear. So, although I do own the MKII, Canon had a huge collection of lenses there so, I took none of my own.

Slightly OT, is the MkII £2000 better than the MkI?

It is much better (and lighter) than the MKI. I find it very fast to focus and very very sharp. Is it worth the extra 2K?... Not really fair to price it so high but, that's the price the powers that be have set for the lens and if you want it, that's what you'll have to pay.

Last edited:
So today I get a belated email from canon telling me how the 1dx release date is now June... Too little too late.. I already cancelled everything when I found out last week.. Thats the first time they contacted me as a customer to tell me anything and they couldnt even do that right..

So today I get a belated email from canon telling me how the 1dx release date is now June... Too little too late.. I already cancelled everything when I found out last week.. Thats the first time they contacted me as a customer to tell me anything and they couldnt even do that right..

Tony the camera will be worth the wait. Do go to the Manchester event and do keep your pre order. You will not be disappointed.

I've decided also to cancel my order, I can't make either the London or Manchester venues unfortunately (and it would be an expensive exercise even if I could) and I really have to see if I can justify 1) Is it worth upgrading to a 1Dx from my 1Ds3, 2) Is it worth upgrading to a 300MK2 3) Should I get a 5D3 largely for the AF improvement and ISo improvement over the 1Ds3 or...stick with what I've got and spend the money travelling!!!!:LOL::LOL:.....and at the mo the last option looks pretty appealing!!

Need a play with the lot before I'll decide, hoe Canon do something in Scotland before long, poss at Calumet.

If you upgrade, Jim, I'll be interested to hear your comments!!

George.

Tony the camera will be worth the wait. Do go to the Manchester event and do keep your pre order. You will not be disappointed.

Well, I tried to cancel my order, because it had missed the financial window, as well as a bunch of scheduled shoots and I really have get on shooting with gear that is actually available, BUT......

My girlfriend went and reinstated the order and told me not to worry about it. :nuts:

:D

Last edited:

I don't blame you for cancelling Kipax. If I had committed that amount of money to any company I would have expected to be amongst the first to know when it was to arrive, especially when this is a product aimed at professionals whose business may rely on it. :nono: And to be kept up to date on what was happening.

If I was a member of the CPS and had ordered, I'd be saying 'wtf'. :eek:

I don't think Nikon are any better. They all seem to think that we'll buy whatever they have to sell whenever they deign to deliver it. Sadly, most of the time they're right, so customer service goes out the window.

I am buying the 1dx for its higher iso capabilities.. needed for winter months and indoor work (schools sports) so I now wouldnt get the benifit of one until around september.. I may as well wait until they ahve been used by a few before I buy mine..

Disgusted wiht canon customer service... but will still need to get the 1dx before next winter..

PLUS My 500 quid in someone elses account for 6 mths is wrong!

I don't think Nikon are any better. They all seem to think that we'll buy whatever they have to sell whenever they deign to deliver it. Sadly, most of the time they're right, so customer service goes out the window.
Not really now are they, they announced the D4 way after canon announced the 1DX yet lots of folk already have their grubby mitts on them and theyre showing in stock all over the place, to me the only thing which has affected supply of any Nikon product has been the Tsunami and floods, the upping of the price was a major no no but that was simply supply and demand.

Nikon customer service has never let me down, Canon let me down every single time.

Gary

On holiday in The Gambia I got talking to a chap who is a pro sports photographer based in Southampton.

When Can had the Mk3 'issue' he was one of the ones who Nikon 'bought' out.

Gave him such a good price for his Canon gear he couldn't refuse. He was saying (as you have mentioned before) how non of his lenses need MA (which used to pee him off with Canon).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back