Canon 1DX Mk II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks lovely, I could never justify the cost for my level of competency and usage. I wonder what $5999 will translate to for UK sales. £5k? I'm waiting for the 5Dmk4 so I'll be keen to see what Canon's pricing strategy is at the moment.

Some nice little tweaks - built in GPS is great. I'm guessing because of the frame and the amount of metal this camera has, wireless built-in was still not a reliable enough option... Not enough 'Newness' in there to make me want to change though.

It looks nice but Nothing there that would make me want one over the 1DX so I may treat myself to a new Lathe :)

Rob.

Expected more AF points, another ring would have been nice. Nice to have a bigger choice at f8. Not a huge change in specs. -3 EV is good. I'm looking for a second body so if they don't bring out a 5D4 before the middle of the year I think I will go for this.

cant really see the upgrade from a1dx will be worth it lets hope the price is less than 5k cant see it though

Always updated because the updates where always worth it from 10d through to 1dx (2 of each from 1dmkII upwards) .. this most certainly isn't .. I would update for much better iso capabilities and built in wifi ... theres nothing here for me shooting sports to be honest ..

3 -4 years for this? no thanks..

Last edited:
Always updated because the updates where always worth it from 10d through to 1dx (2 of each from 1dmkII upwards) .. this most certainly isn't .. I would update for much better iso capabilities and built in wifi ... theres nothing here for me shooting sports to be honest ..

Yup, I suspect the same, Tony............

If I had 2 1Dx bodies I don't think I would either Tony but I need a second body so, if Canon don't bring out a 5D3 upgrade, the MkII is really the only choice. Unless dealers start selling MkI's off cheap then I'll get one of those.

They look to have stuck one more stop on the expanded iso range so I suspect that'll mean it's only one stop better in noise supression.

Really, Bob, where did you see that?...and I wonder if the new charger will also do the old ones?

On the spec's page .....Battery Pack LP-E19 (or LP-E4N, LP-E4) x1

If I had 2 1Dx bodies I don't think I would either Tony but I need a second body so, if Canon don't bring out a 5D3 upgrade, the MkII is really the only choice. Unless dealers start selling MkI's off cheap then I'll get one of those.
I suspect the 5D3 replacement will come in the Autumn, when the fuss about this has died down.

I suspect the 5D3 replacement will come in the Autumn, when the fuss about this has died down.

You're probably right George which is a pity because I would have liked to have a higher MP body as a second camera just to stick the 100-400 on.

Hopefully the initial rush will have died down by Jul/Aug and the first firmware updates will be done. It would be a retirement present to myself anyway so it's a lot easier to justify. Well it is in my eyes.

No mention on that link about improved DR (unless I've missed it) unlike the first link that was leaked. I wonder if that's a sign that it's not been improved, or just an omission as that's more a specs list.

I am unlikely to justify it any time soon but really the DR question is very interesting. Well, if the shadows are properly clean you basically can pull out as much data as you wish...

The problem is the 1DX2 is a very minor incremental update on the 1DX so, if they add too much to the 5D4, it'll encroach too much.

Whilst I'm not in the market for a 1DX, this lacklustre (IMHO) announcement doesn't bode well for the 5D4 which I think will also be a very minor incremental update and nothing like the jump we saw from the 5D2.

What remains to be see is stuff like noise performance and dynamic range - these will only become clear when we see tests and reviews.

Last edited:
Yes, tests, reviews and some brave souls on here with real world results!! (and deep pockets!!)

George

Any potential noise/DR improvements aside, it does seem the other improvments are all aimed at videographers. For still photographers, I'm not really seeing anything major at all, or am I missing something?

Bit of an AF tart up, 14fps instead of 12........

Well it's the first FF sensor with dual-pixel focusing but again that's for videographers really - aside from that it's the same 61-point system isn't it?

No there's a larger number of f8 selectable points, and tweaks to the iTR system, but is it that much better?...only time will tell.

I have my suspicions that the spec isn't a "leaked press release" at all. Would a Canon press release state "Current camera settings can be registered to C1, C2 and C3 on the Mode Dial" when the camera doesn't have a mode dial?

Are there going to be any groundbreaking releases in cameras now. How many AF points can we go to? How many FPS is enough. If the MkII has 1 stop improvement in noise at the slightly higher resolution then that, together with the other small tweaks that are in the specs and some that will only become apparent once people get to go through all the custom settings, will be enough for me to buy one.

From my perspective the biggest improvement in DSLR cameras over the last few years has been sensor technology with greater dynamic range and better noise control. And that didn't come from Nikon or Canon.

Are there going to be any groundbreaking releases in cameras now.
This, they're just minor tweaks. It's just like mobile phones. I used to look forward to getting a new phone but it's now just same old same old just with a bit of polish on. Rather than AF numbers Id rather them work in FF AF spread.

I do wonder what the next camera revolution will be and when it will be. I still live in hope they can invent something to 'bend' physics and make lenses much smaller ;)

Not for me, not just because I just got a 1dx last month but like stated the upgrades are very incremental. Ill also keep an eye on the 5D4, as for prices of the 1DX they won't come down a lot, the usual happens, high demand for the body thinking the price will come down will just make it hold its price or as near to it.

Looking forward to see the actual announcement from Canon.

Calumet have it PRE ORDER for £5199

was just going to say I had email from Jessops with it for £5199........ its not for me............

Never been an early adopter of any camera, and I hate this pre order crap when you don't really know when you're going to get it. See WEX are offering 12 months interest free. Think I'll wait until stocks are available before I buy one.

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1dx_mark_ii

Found this today, I wasn't that impressed! The Nikon release recently was impressive but this doesn't seem ground breaking, yes 14fps is fast and 30min of 4k video is useful but 61 cross points at f8? Out of my budget anyhow!

Don't see how having more AF points available at f8 wouldn't be useful. The biggest difference between the D5 and this is the number of AF points. Other than that the D5 was an incremental upgrade from the D4S and I've spoken to a couple of people I know with D4S's and they are all saying not a big enough improvement to change. Similar to what is being said here really.

Never been an early adopter of any camera, and I hate this pre order crap when you don't really know when you're going to get it. See WEX are offering 12 months interest free. Think I'll wait until stocks are available before I buy one.

Calumet are offering 24 months 0% if you're interested.

Calumet are offering 24 months 0% if you're interested.

If they are offering it once the initial rush is over and stocks are good then I will be happy to take them up on it. I doubt they will though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back