Canon 1DX Mk II announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy with my 1Dx although I'll
Wait and see what digital Rev and the likes offer up for prices later in the year.

Interesting international pricing, USD 6000@1.4=£4285 add 20%VAT=GBP 5142.........in other words, the US and UK prices before tax are almost identical........is this a new pricing strategy from Canon?

George.
It's certainly well removed from the old 1$=1£ pricing that often prevailed. My local CPS dealer is inviting pre-orders for EUR 6349 (about £4810) which is a little closer to UK prices than the 1Dx was at its release.....the Pound is stronger than it was in 2012.

Bob

Not me for at least 9 months... Need to get to try one for a week at least and the sensor and DR a worthwhile improvement... Even then probably not, as has been said before it's not a step change as we had with the series 1.

I need to see raw files first JPEGS are all well and good but yeah, ill wait.

Its more the spec they have added.. extra 2mp .. extra 4 frame per sec.. larger buffer and better af .... uninspiring .. I ahve enough points.. my af is great and the frame rate is more than enough as is...

I would like built in wifi with easy transfer of locked files say
maybe 24mp just for those long reach shots on the 400 prime :)
and... I thought not much improvement in iso capabilities but i might be wrong on that score so....jury out on that

I'd have liked built in wifi but it wouldn't be enough for me to pay an extra thousand for a body - the wifi transmitter doesn't cost a grand

How many of u are going to upgrade?

Apparently they won't be out til June. I will wait and let the rush die down, see what the reviews say and then get one. I won't be selling my 1DX though but using it as a second body with my 100-400 on it.

My guess is Canon arent aiming at 1Dx users but those that still have 1D mk3 or 4's. I hear Ardman are replacing their old cameras and I think they are typical market. You guys with 1Dx mk1 will burn out your cameras eventually and replace with mk2 (or maybe even mk3).

Jumping from 1D Mk3/4 to 1Dx mk2 is a massive jump in terms of what you get for your money, especially in the AF stakes.
That kinda makes sense, but I wonder how many people are on the every-other-model replacement cycle? For lesser cameras with faster replacement cycles, sure. But the kind of people who use a 1DX? Not sure.

I also think that there will be the its new so I'll have one section. I used to try and buy every other upgrade when I had one body but must admit I've been caught out a bit after making the mistake of selling my 5D3 for a 7D MKII which I didn't like and sold on. Now I don't have a second body and I'm reluctant to buy a 5D3 as it must be due for an upgrade this year.

I'm planning on a few trips this year and would prefer two bodies so it's either rent something when I need it ( although for 4 weeks renting I could buy a 6D and then move it on later) and see what else comes out or take a big jump and get the 1DX MkII.

Last edited:
For whom is this camera? and if someone can't afford it does it means we aren't doing great photos without 1DXII because of high ISO clean?

I am looking for a second body, but not sure which one, either buying 1DX when the price coming much lower but only brand new which i doubt once this 1DX2 hit the shelves, or buy 1DX2 which i can't to make 1DX as a backup, ofcourse i must sell my 1D3 first.

For me, I do see bits in the Canon 1DX mkII that will probably make me buy it...
In my line of work I do need to do quite a bit of video stuff alongside the stills, and so far haven't enjoyed using 1DX for this due to the lack of AF.
So from what I've seen, the additions to the video with AF and AF from touch screen.. they might be the deal breaker for me.
Especially in this day and age when lots of customers do also need video, this will help me reduce my video gear and thus helping me carry a bit less equipment on my travels.

Price is quite hefty - but could I see my 1DX mkI's lasting for another 4 years?? Might be asking a bit much :)

I'm a bit baffled by the 1dx-II's card slots as there's one CFast and one CF, which means if you use your second slot as a backup copy as I do then you'll not be able to shoot at the full potential of this camera as FPS and buffer will be restricted to the slower card. Any ideas why they've done this and not had dual of either/or like they have with the D5 so those that have a collection of CF cards can continue to use them, whilst those wanting the full potential of the camera can do so if they want using the faster cards (with backup). Do most folk only backup to jpeg and will the CF card therefore be able to keep up with the CFast?

Im going to continue to use CF cards. I've never filled the buffer since I've had the camera to the point where it has slowed so I'm unlikely to trouble it now. Having said that I don't back up as I go.

Well I have the Canon 10d then 1d MKii now 1d MKiv all of which I still have as for one reason or another I never needed to sell the one being upgraded from.
So for me this is as pointed out a good upgrade from my 1d MKiv.
However, the cost and availability is another thing.

On a slightly different note having looked at the spec I noticed it takes the N3 type remote connection of which I have a standard Canon cabled version and this has only 3 pins.
Taking a look at the images posted here and there, this port on the 1dx MKii has far more than 3 pins and looks to take the wifi adapter.
So do the 3 pins protrude further to allow the N3 to connect before touching the other pins? as other wise there are no holes in the connector for these other pins?
Or is there a different version of the N3 type connection?

Anyone know how this works?

That kinda makes sense, but I wonder how many people are on the every-other-model replacement cycle? For lesser cameras with faster replacement cycles, sure. But the kind of people who use a 1DX? Not sure.
It certainly is a different market, but it's as much about the amount of use they've had too. I think pro's replace when they need to, whether that's because of the age of the current camera, or because of an advantage the new model provides.

This camera doesn't provide enough 'advantage ' for most users, but it will for some.

Never going to be in the market for a £5k camera but it will be interesting to see what it does to used 1DX prices. Currently have a 5D3 and 6D. If 1DX prices dip below £2k I could see myself upgrading the 6D at a cost of circa £1.2-1.3k. 1DX & 5D3 would make a nice combo :)

On the horns of a dilemma. I currently have a 1D MK iv and was looking to upgrade to the 1DX. With the 1DX Mk ii becoming available, not too sure what to do.
Present price difference between 1DX and 1DX Mk ii is about £1000.
Should I go for the 1DX or the 1DX Mk ii?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Seems the going rate for a used 1DX is around half what a new 1DX2 costs. Ok so one is new and one used but that's the real-world comparison for me - the used 1DX is a no-brainer unless you're made of money :)

I presume you're ok with losing the crop factor?

Will be interesting to see how the used prices hold up for the 1DX as nearly all are now offering £2570 for the original 1DX in p/x against the MKII.

Wex has the 1DX for £4200 no chance of that dropping below 2k, they will stop supplying them before they reach that price.

I got my 1DX from digital rev before christmas in a deal for £2999, I sold my 1DIV, do I miss the crop factor? Not one single bit. The 1DX is a lot better than the 1DIV but the 1DIV is still a sensational camera.

Wex has the 1DX for £4200 no chance of that dropping below 2k, they will stop supplying them before they reach that price.

I'm talking used, where they're going for £2.3-2.5k by the looks of things so won't take much to push them below £2k. That's a steal for what it is and I could never bring myself to pay 2.5x the price for a new 1DX2 compared to that.

Might have to get the original 1dx if that is the case .... virtually half the price of the new one is not to be sniffed at to be honest

I'm talking used, where they're going for £2.3-2.5k by the looks of things so won't take much to push them below £2k. .....

With dealers offering £2750 for them against a MkII then anybody updating isn't likely to sell them on for less than that and this leaves those who are selling up for other reasons. What event is going to push them below £2k?

Bob

It won't be an immediate effect but ..... it will happen..... you can pick a brand new grey import up for 2.9k

Google is your friend mate just look in the usual places ..... they are there

Any thoughts on the mixed card slots? Seems like a pain. I would have prefered two the same. Is there scope for jamming the wrong card in the wrong slot?

Any thoughts on the mixed card slots? Seems like a pain. I would have prefered two the same. Is there scope for jamming the wrong card in the wrong slot?

Yes CFast cards have a different connection.

Well seen my first grey impor price on this today........ £4099 good saving and now I'm tempted .......

Just had an e-mail from my Canon Pro dealer saying that on 23rd Feb they will invite 25 people to meet a Canon rep and have a go with the camera. Sods law that's the day I travel home from work. Anyone know if this is happening elsewhere in the UK

I believe at the photography show at the nec.................. cant say no more though..........

Well I pre ordered mine yesterday lol I couldn't wait lol.....

Just to reserect a old thread off to the show tomorrow and have an appointment with canon to view and test the 1dx2 (that press pass comes in handy now and again lol) so will post up.... been told should have mine in 4 weeks max so getting excited although nervous as a few ££££ for something I haven't held or tested yet but will have by tomorrow evening

I had a long play yesterday, looks very nice.....they claim DR better and also about 1.5 better iso, but I didn't save any images, they didn't want me to put a card in........silent mode a big improvement over mk1......af at f8 I'd say marginally better, was using my setup (400DO mk2 + 2x extender) and of course a much greater availability of af points........

Owen I have ordered from SLR Hut before and had a good transaction.
Am I assuming correctly this is where you are getting your 1dx mkii from and if so you mention you've been told to expect delivery in a few weeks.
Was this via an email or other means?
I ask only as I am also on verge of ordering and wondered if their offer was to attract customers before official release and then put the price up.
That's not to say they will up the price on orders already taken as I have asked that and they say no.
I had that situation with a lens I bought at a price and the next day it went up by £50 so I phoned and they assured the price I had paid would remain as was and it did.
It's just such a massive price difference between the official Uk price of £5.2 (ish) and theirs.
My thoughts were they may up it when they have enough pre orders and so don't won't to edge my bets to far.
Meaning if they had informed you directly of delivery soon (ish) it may be prudent of me to put my order in.
Anyway no worries if I guessed wrong, cheers Simon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back