Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

c2a5e728-9c27-4462-b24a-365e12b4e37e.jpg

Robin your picture does not show it says "Content protected by owner"

I had taken the password protection off the album but Zenfolio seem to take ages for it to apply properly.

Should be okay now...

first problem :(

for some reason my shooting preference of JPG - L changed to shooting s-raw and jpg-s :( the whole football match this aft on that :(

i am pretty sure you can get to error history in the menus but i cant find it?

Go to system status display. Then camera status log..

cheers .. been on that screen before.. didnt realise there was an extra screen on INFO ... well thats CLEAR..

I only had a 16GB card in slot 2 and it will have filled up.. i wonder when that got full it all sorta went to small?

It cant happen by accident so the cameras deffo done it

Have you got the file format chamge set to one of the buttons. Knocking that by accident might have caused it.

Mine locked up twice last night, no err messages though. Happens when the lights are all over the place and seem to direct hit the lens.

mystery solved it seems.. and a home goal by canon :(

If you press the file button to the left if the small bottom info screen at back of camera and move a wheel it changes file size info without SET or anything.. just moving the wheel resets it.. very easy to do by accident as it seems i have done..

however if you go into orrange menu cfn4/ (bottom option and change to LCD monitor.. then if you hit that file button the back big screen lights up and you can see what your doing..

this info found using google took me to canon rumours here
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9179.0

seems i wasnt the first..

phew :)

It cant happen by accident so the cameras deffo done it

Tony,
If you've managed to nudge the "Image size selection" button (to the left of the rear LCD panel), then any movement of the rear control wheel will have changed the file format.....it's dodgy and quite easy to do by accident.

Bob

Edit....a little slow there :)

I had three worrying lock-ups today on one of the bodies. :(

Took a shot but the mirror didn't drop down again and the card write LED stayed on....I had to cycle the power to get it operational again. This occurred three times in all but not consequetive shots. There's nothing in the system log and the images were written to both cards (Sandisk Extreme 60Mb/s) correctly.

I can't find any similar reports but it's maybe worth keeping your eyes open.

Bob

I had three worrying lock-ups today on one of the bodies. :(

Took a shot but the mirror didn't drop down again and the card write LED stayed on....I had to cycle the power to get it operational again. This occurred three times in all but not consequetive shots. There's nothing in the system log and the images were written to both cards (Sandisk Extreme 60Mb/s) correctly.

I can't find any similar reports but it's maybe worth keeping your eyes open.

Bob

See my earlier comments on this.

It's an odd one, as mentioned mine seemed to be when sudden bursts of light were hitting me.

It's done it 3 times or so in the last 3 weeks and several thousands shots.

Mine locked up twice last night, no err messages though. Happens when the lights are all over the place and seem to direct hit the lens.

Sorry Ryan, I'm struggling to find it unless it's the report with the 50/1.2 on the body.

Bob

Just was highlighting the same issue, these have been the circumstances for me where it's happened. So not sure if others have the same situations arise.

Mine was mid-afternoon with my back to the sun and wearing a 300/2.8.

Bob

Serious question guys and one not intended to spark the old Nikon v Canon debate, but........................................

Why on earth cant Canon since the MKII produce a top end camera that just bleedin works as it should straight out of the box, never since making the switch to Nikon have i had to mess about like you guys with all the millions of AF combinations, turn it on, select continious AF, select my AF point and fire away

I just edited a game from yesterday and granted the light was nice but out of 587 images i shot, only 2 were OOF (player ran round the padded posts) and this included a 24 frame burst of a player making a midfield break, every single one nailed bang on.

I just think its a horrible mess when "some" of you guys who work hard to be able to buy the top end gear just get bummed by Canon.

Luckily i think my mate KIPAX looks to have a "good one"

Like i say guys, not intended to stir but a serious concern.

I think neither company has been without teething problems, (D4 certainly has a fair few issues).

The D3/d3S lets face it was a glorious revolution from nikon where they quite frankly nailed it.

The MFA stuff with canon is a pain in the backside but hey ho, the new bodys AF system certainly isnt that bad to set up, having 6 presets certainly isnt a bad thing.

My personal opinion, Gary, is that Canon are a little more innovative and take the risks whereas Nikon err on the side of caution and release a tried and tested solution. If you want elation and disappointment in equal measures then Canon is probably the way forwards....if you're satisifed with having a smug grin then go for Nikon.

Bob

My personal opinion, Gary, is that Canon are a little more innovative and take the risks whereas Nikon err on the side of caution and release a tried and tested solution.
Bob

Sorry, but I don't agree. :shake: The jump from an 11 point AF to a 51 point AF was a major innovation, as were the sensors for the D3 and D300 at the time. And if the D800s sensor, both with and without the AA filter, is not innovative and taking risks, then I don't know what is. :shrug:

How many Canon cameras have had the same 11 point AF, and 18Mp sensor? They even put the 11 point AF in the 5DI and 5DII, whereas Nikon put the 51 point AF in the D300 and D700, the same AF as the top of the range D3.

Putting tech in that doesn't work is certainly taking risks. :LOL:

Just my opinion of course. ;) :LOL:

I don't want to make if a Canon v Nikon thing, as all manufacturers innovate to some degree, and any aspects can be pointed out to move an argument in one direction or another. As I have done. ;)

Gary Coyle said:
Serious question guys and one not intended to spark the old Nikon v Canon debate, but........................................

Why on earth cant Canon since the MKII produce a top end camera that just bleedin works as it should straight out of the box, never since making the switch to Nikon have i had to mess about like you guys with all the millions of AF combinations, turn it on, select continious AF, select my AF point and fire away

I just edited a game from yesterday and granted the light was nice but out of 587 images i shot, only 2 were OOF (player ran round the padded posts) and this included a 24 frame burst of a player making a midfield break, every single one nailed bang on.

I just think its a horrible mess when "some" of you guys who work hard to be able to buy the top end gear just get bummed by Canon.

Luckily i think my mate KIPAX looks to have a "good one"

Like i say guys, not intended to stir but a serious concern.

Mk2 had problems, the reds of Ferrari F1 cars were wrong when shooting jpegs.

Most of the problems are user error surely? You all can't keep blaming Canon.

In 22 years of shooting with EOS1's this is the best one, by a long, long way...

I think what Gary is talking about is all these odd errors that come up and that with the Nikons no-one needs to fanny around with AFMA on their lenses (which is a PITA really).

1 point, 1 point with 4 point expansion, 1 point with 8 point expansion etc. on the Canons, which is not needed with the Nikons.

Canon fanbbois would say you can fine tune to the nenth degree.

Nikon fanbois say, who needs fine tuning. Ours work mighty fine without the fine tuning.

Even though people say that they don't want to turn this thread into a "vs. thread" it seems it has become one.... :(

Now, let's get back to write/read things about the use of the 1DX

Okay Thomas, here's a positive note.....

The sensor on the 1Dx seems to be capable of harvesting more of the light from the 85/1.2 @ f/1.2 than the 1DsIII or 1DIV can.
The 1DsIII and 1DIV are about 2/3 stop off at f/1.2 whereas the 1Dx is only 1/4 stop short. I assume that this is down to the improvment in the micro lenses.

Bob

Here we go... the typical Nikon fanboys coming to a decent (until now) Canon thread with their ours is bigger than yours BS.... Grow up!!!

Sorry, but I don't agree. :shake: The jump from an 11 point AF to a 51 point AF was a major innovation, as were the sensors for the D3 and D300 at the time. And if the D800s sensor, both with and without the AA filter, is not innovative and taking risks, then I don't know what is. :shrug:

How many Canon cameras have had the same 11 point AF, and 18Mp sensor? They even put the 11 point AF in the 5DI and 5DII, whereas Nikon put the 51 point AF in the D300 and D700, the same AF as the top of the range D3.

Putting tech in that doesn't work is certainly taking risks. :LOL:

Just my opinion of course. ;) :LOL:

I don't want to make if a Canon v Nikon thing, as all manufacturers innovate to some degree, and any aspects can be pointed out to move an argument in one direction or another. As I have done. ;)

Canon had 45 point AF in the 1d mkii.... Hardly innovation from Nikon doing it several years after canon. :D

As mentioned earlier the d3 was a revolation, especially when canon tried to do new things with the 1diii and failed massively in reality.

Well I used the 1dx last night in conditions I got the camera for.. to get a good exposure I was at ISO 12800 F2.8 and a shutter of 400 so you can imagine the conditions/lighting.. this was at Basketball..

I have to say I was a little dissapointed.

I shot some football under floodlights with a slightly faster shutter and got better results.. that and how the AF performed in good light.. well I think I spoilt myself and expected too much..

AF wasn't as 100% as in daylight which I know is to be expected.. but it was a bit of a shock having OOF shots wiht this camera.. The noise was also a lot more noticable.. However I think thats because in order to get a decent pic they had to be lighter than the actual conditions..

It was better than the mkIV so mission accomplished... but not as good as I expected..

12800 at 400 shutter.. I wanted more speed but the pics wernt good enough at higher ISO .. I was shooting for 3 newspapers and the home club so couldnt take risks..... The manchester evening news has a shot on p44 today.. not seen it yet so no idea how big... but its iso 12800 if anyone has a copy? :)

I will source you one later Tony.....

Cheers :) However.. someone has seen it and tells me its a small nothing of a picture... so hardly worth checking...

Local paper friday should have lots more and I can get that... thnaks anyways:)

Cheers :) However.. someone has seen it and tells me its a small nothing of a picture... so hardly worth checking...

Local paper friday should have lots more and I can get that... thnaks anyways:)

Is it on your gallery anywhere or are you not allowed to show them on your site?

Is it on your gallery anywhere or are you not allowed to show them on your site?

I will be putting loads on my for sale site... BBL rules dont apply for a friendly :)

Well I used the 1dx last night in conditions I got the camera for.. to get a good exposure I was at ISO 12800 F2.8 and a shutter of 400 so you can imagine the conditions/lighting.. this was at Basketball..

I have to say I was a little dissapointed.

I shot some football under floodlights with a slightly faster shutter and got better results.. that and how the AF performed in good light.. well I think I spoilt myself and expected too much..

AF wasn't as 100% as in daylight which I know is to be expected.. but it was a bit of a shock having OOF shots wiht this camera.. The noise was also a lot more noticable.. However I think thats because in order to get a decent pic they had to be lighter than the actual conditions..

It was better than the mkIV so mission accomplished... but not as good as I expected..

12800 at 400 shutter.. I wanted more speed but the pics wernt good enough at higher ISO .. I was shooting for 3 newspapers and the home club so couldnt take risks..... The manchester evening news has a shot on p44 today.. not seen it yet so no idea how big... but its iso 12800 if anyone has a copy? :)
Interesting. Nearly ready to place an order then I read the above and it's got me thinking again. I could get a used 1DmkIV and save myself nearly £2K over a 1Dx. :thinking: Is the quality of the 1Dx worth the extra money and the various issues and niggles that are cropping up?

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure! :LOL:

far me there are no niggles and issues.. just a differnt camera needs getting used to..

as for is it worth it? well surely thats down to the person using it... a flowerpot photogrpaher it wont be worth it.. a dark dank orrible holes of a sports venue photographer then yes it is.

stop looking for excuses :)

EMA747 said:
Interesting. Nearly ready to place an order then I read the above and it's got me thinking again. I could get a used 1DmkIV and save myself nearly £2K over a 1Dx. :thinking: Is the quality of the 1Dx worth the extra money and the various issues and niggles that are cropping up?

Aaaargh.
Tell you what buy both my mkiv and 1ds 3 for 4, 500 and I will buy a 1dx and let you know how the niggles are lol ;)

Just heard, mine due early next week, be interesting to see if it comes with the upgraded firmware....really quite looking forward to it's arrival...:love::bonk:

Back