Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Everyone I think you should brace yourselves for a shock.......:eek:

........I have ordered the 1Dx!!!! (y)(y) It was my birthday yesterday (13th) so I decided to take the plunge and get the order done.

Kerso said it should be delivered mid next week. Also in the box should be a 24-105, 20-700 f2.8 IS mkII and a 2x mkIII converter. I think I will pick up a Sigma 50mm f1.4 too.

I am super happy but finding it hard already to wait for it to arrive. :bonk:

........I have ordered the 1Dx!!!! (y)(y) It was my birthday yesterday (13th) so I decided to take the plunge and get the order done.

Kerso said it should be delivered mid next week. Also in the box should be a 24-105, 20-700 f2.8 IS mkII and a 2x mkIII converter. I think I will pick up a Sigma 50mm f1.4 too.

A belated Happy Birthday, :clap: and well done for treating yourself. ;)

I wish I could treat myself so well. ;) :LOL:

At last Andy has taken the plunge and treated himself for his birthday on the 13th, Happy birthday Andy :)

Belated happy birthday mate. I think you have made a mistake though. You should have bought that D4 all those months ago. ;)

Enjoy your new kit mate. (y)

Kev.

........I have ordered the 1Dx!!!!

images

Andy, I'll be very interested to see how the 1 Dx works with the 70-200 mk2 and the 2x converter, as I said mine arrives hopefully next week and my experience with the 2x has not been great with that lens combo, I find the 1.4x fine but the 2x a bit soft.

Interested in your thoughts.

Think you'll love the outfit though, looking forward to mine as well.

George.

George, I have a 2x you can compare if you wish.

Jim, I'd appreciate that, and you can have a keek at a 1 Dx, prehaps set that up for week after next?

Cheers, George.

Just let me know when it suits you

Why the 2x TC When you have the 20-700 2.8....that alone must have cost you an arm and a leg !!:naughty::naughty::naughty:

I got the 2x TC mainly just for aviation which I shoot just for fun so I can live with a little softness. 200mm was just about ok on the 1.3 crop mkIV but on the FF 1Dx I think I might need more reach for some situations. By all accounts the 70-200 mkII and 2x TC mkIII is pretty much identical to the 100-400 at the longer end so at £325 it seemed a steal compared to the 100-400! :)

I actually had the 20-700 and 2x TC on my 1D mkIV and so very happy with the quality for 90% of the shots I took with it. I never really used it in extreme conditions so can't comment on it much. I can try and big some examples out if anyone is interested?

I will let you know how it goes though.

Belated happy birthday mate. I think you have made a mistake though. You should have bought that D4 all those months ago. ;)

Enjoy your new kit mate. (y)

Kev.
Thanks for the happy birthday Kev. :)

As you know I though loooooong and hard about the D4. In the end it came down to three things for me. These are things that are just my views of course and anyone interested in either shouldn't pay too much attention to them because everyone's situation is different.

1 - The 1Dx has better video than the D4. Not important to some but for me it's well worth having good video as I shoot quite a bit of video plus I can match it up to my Canon XF camcorders.

2 - Canon's CPS program offered me better benefits that the Nikon one because I already own two of their professional video cameras.

3 - Probably the most important is that I had a play with the 1Dx and D4 side by side in Denmark and I just found the Canon easier to use because I am used to it. The D4 did feel nicer to hold in the hand than the Canon and of course I would get used to it eventually but I just felt at home with the Canon.

Both are fantastic cameras for sure. I would be more than happy to own either. (y)

I got the 2x TC mainly just for aviation which I shoot just for fun so I can live with a little softness. 200mm was just about ok on the 1.3 crop mkIV but on the FF 1Dx I think I might need more reach for some situations. By all accounts the 70-200 mkII and 2x TC mkIII is pretty much identical to the 100-400 at the longer end so at £325 it seemed a steal compared to the 100-400! :)

I actually had the 20-700 and 2x TC on my 1D mkIV and so very happy with the quality for 90% of the shots I took with it. I never really used it in extreme conditions so can't comment on it much. I can try and big some examples out if anyone is interested?

I will let you know how it goes though.

Yes I'll be interested to see how it performs with the 2x, must say I love the 70-200 mk2, sold my 100-400 to part fund it, my 100-400 was really sharp, better I'd say than the 200 plus x2, look forward to trying it with the 1 Dx and I'll try Jim's as well in case I have a soft 'un...

Slightly OT,

Both with 1D IV

300mm f/2.8 with 2xIII through window a few weeks back

woodpecker.jpg

Taken today with 70-200mm f/2.8 and 2xIII through kitchen window no PP.

woody2.jpg

Hmmm, well glad we can have a comparison, Jim, will let you know when the 1 Dx arrives, could be any day now (unless Andy gets the only one coming in to the country.....!!!)

Hmmm, well glad we can have a comparison, Jim, will let you know when the 1 Dx arrives, could be any day now (unless Andy gets the only one coming in to the country.....!!!)
Kerso told me it should be around mid this week but to email him tomorrow to check. Fingers crossed but I'm not going to get my hopes up until he gives me confirmation of dispatch. ;)

Got Nottingham marathon and a cycle event weekend after next so hopefully it will be here before then. Hopefully much sooner though as I'm getting excited to have it in my hand. :D

Hope you get yours soon as well George. (y)

Mine arriving Friday, hopefully, at dealer's and being dispatched tomorrow....can I beat Andy???!!!

....and I have a tracking no, so will be here tomorrow, City Link willing!!

Andy, where's yours!!!!!!!:razz:

....and I have a tracking no, so will be here tomorrow, City Link willing!!

Andy, where's yours!!!!!!!:razz:

Andy is still trying to make up his mind as to which carrier to use.. mmm, City link... UPS... DHL... Royal Mail. Decisions decisions...:LOL::p:LOL:

Andy is still trying to make up his mind as to which carrier to use.. mmm, City link... UPS... DHL... Royal Mail. Decisions decisions...:LOL::p:LOL:

....or shank's pony, Ivan?

Well after getting up at 7am yesterday (Thurs) after only a couple of hours sleep (don't ask) to wait for Mr FedEx I had a loooong wait. It was nearly 5 when the van arrived. I had all but given up hope and starting to worry something had gone wrong with the delivery.

Anyway thankfully all was ok and now I am the very very happy, proud, greatful owner of this little lot. (the white box contains a 24-105). I'm also thinking of adding a Sigma 50mm f1.4.

IMG_1349_zpsb5d42965.jpg

I didn't get chance to do anything other than fire the camera up and get as far as putting in the date. I have had a little play with a 1Dx when I was in Denmark in July but I had forgotten by now just how fantastic the camera looks, feels.

Having been down to only a Panasonic GF2 for the best part of a year it will take some learning to get back into the swing of things but I can't wait to get started again.

Are there any issues with the firmware upgrade I should be careful of? I am kind of scared to do it! :naughty: How long does it take to load on? I only ask so that I don't get panicky as some have said around teh 25% mark it slows right down.

@ George - I hope and I am sure you will be as happy with your 1Dx as I am with mine. When you are setting it up if you find any useful tips and trick please post them as I've forgotten most of how I had my mkIV settings. :bonk:

Very pleased for you Andy. I'm sure that you're going to be happy with your new kit. Enjoy it mate,

Kev.

so far
shutter button to ae lock
af-on to metering and af start
ae-lock to metering and af start
multi controler to af point select
jpg quality to 100
image review to off (annoying)
release shutter without card to off (important)
record functon to multiple cards
file name is set to mine
auto power off to 8 mins
date/time all set
copyright info entered
firmware updated to 1.0.6
Auto AF pt sel to OFF (Slows af and not good in poor light)
Highlight alert Enabled
AF point display Enabled
Magnification to actual size (big time saver!)
Orientation AF Points to Seperate

These are the points Tony suggested a bit ago, Andy, so might provide a starting point.

Perhaps Bob and Ivan etc could comment?
My first action will be to set up Back button focus.

Roll on later today...I hope!!

edit...City link tell me it's out for delivery!!

George.

Last edited:
Congrats Andy!
If it helps, I posted my settings below some time ago.

My settings
Shutter Butt = Metering start
AF ON = 14fps
AE Lock = Metering and AF start
Multi- function butt (small button to left of top wheel) = switch to custom shooting mode
Multi- function butt 2 (top / right front button) = AE Lock
DOF ( lower / left front button)= DOF
Multi -controller (joystick) = AF point selection
Jpeg quality = 100
Image review = off
record functions = Auto switch
File name = default / continuous
Copyright info = Entered my info
Auto power off = 1 min (no point having it longer as it switches on instantly)
Orientation AF point = separate
Auto AF point selection = off
Magnification = 100%
Auto light Optimizer = off
Highlight priority = off
High ISO noise reduction = standard
Long exposure noise reduction = Auto
Release shutter without card = Off
Ai servo 1st image priority = slider all the way to focus
and 2nd image = slider all the way to focus
One shot AF release priority = slider all the way to focus
EOS iTR AF = Off (unless I am shooting people in good light this one is pointless)
Custom shooting modes (c1 to c3 ) = C1 enabled and registered (this changes depending on what I am shooting and it comes very handy indeed).

Last edited:
...just arrived, with software v 1.0.2....well that's the rest of the day gone west!!

Anyone looked for a screen protector yet?

Well, initial fiddling and a few test shots with my previous worst combination, 70-200 f 2.8 mk2 and 2x mk 3 tc, show excellent results, far superior to anything I've had with either my 7D or 1 Ds3- af quick and focus almost 100% spot on and sharp!!
I suspect 12 fps is really too fast for my general wildlife stuff....set low at 8 fps, but great to have when you need it.

Not worked with custom af yet, just straight out the box so far, but am absolutely delighted it so far. It is, interestingly, far better than the pre production one Frankie lent me.

Looking forward to a few days of experimenting!!

Brilliant!!

Ploddles said:
Have you tried it Paul? If so, any good?

Yes, spent three days in Skye last weekend, spent a day in the Black Cuillins where it was well and truly rained on. Mostly landscape stuff but it just works everytime. I part exchanged my 1Ds3 for it, took a bit of a chance that it was going to be good, certainly not dissappointed so far. I guess the real test will be low light wildlife, be plenty of opportunity for that over the next few months.
Bottom line so far is it is the best Canon I have used so far.

classic :LOL:

Cheers Paul, but I meant the screen saver (as I had quoted your post re the screen saver) :)

Back