Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

As I see it you are locking the exposure as soon as you half press the shutter, on fully pressing the shutter the exposure will meter and lock.

Hey, perhaps I'm wrong? lol

@Canon Bob
That's correct. Metering start will just allow constant updating for exposure whilst AE lock will fix the exposure for a certian time period. The 1srs bodies meter between each shot in a burst so you only need to use AE lock if you're concerned that the expoure will change bewteen shots (not wanted) as the subject fills more of the selected metering region.

FWIW....I'm with you and George......AFon-Metering start and Metering start on the shutter button too.

Bob

Just checked mine, I have both the back buttons set to metering and af start (in case I have an attack of the sausage fingers!!) and the ae lock isn't actuated at all...in fact I don't think I could use ae lock with this set up.

its been working perfect as is.. just seemed odd to have both the back and front both doing metering start....but have changed mine to use that... i dont think i will see much difference.. i never did that big a burst :)

how long does ae lock stay for.. am guessing nano seconds?

As it's not something I use, I wouldn't know so I had a look...seems to stay on till either you take the shot or for about 10 secs, whichever is sooner...or is there a way of cancelling it?....hmmm...

As it's not something I use, I wouldn't know so I had a look...seems to stay on till either you take the shot or for about 10 secs, whichever is sooner...or is there a way of cancelling it?....hmmm...
Tapping the "AF point select" button will clear AE lock if you don't want to wait for it to time out.

Bob

Ah, thanks, Bob. As I never use it, I hadn't found that out!

Did/does anyone else have problems when using spot metering linked to AF point?

I tried it a few times in the past and my camera would lockup after taking a couple of frames with an Err 80 code, pull the battery and change back to evaluative and all would be fine. I tried it again today at a seminar with the latest firmware installed and it worked really well and no lockups.

Did/does anyone else have problems when using spot metering linked to AF point?
There was a problem immediately after release (Jul-Aug2012) whereby partial and spot metering caused the camera to lock up with error 80 (especially in subdued lighting) but it was sorted with the subsequent firmware update......see from around post #190 in this thread.

Bob

Cheers Bob, that does sound like it. Odd that I suffered with it as I only got the camera last year and always update to the latest firmware.

All the ones I have used feel much the same and feature wise they all seem to be again much the same. i.e tilt, sens levels and so on. The only time they seem to differ is over time, driver development and support for example, for that I would have to say Wacom have always been good, updating drivers etc, also some companies write in support for well known tablets etc, IF your app has direct support for tablets then often some get left out, not so much the case now as support/drivers is often done through the OS.
I got a cheaper Wacom free with a 3880 printer last year, worked well just no tilt :( Talking of other features if you want to buy spray pens etc again Wacom seem to have a good number of options, not saying I feel any of the Wacom gear is value for money as IMO it does seem overpriced, but I feel the same about my DSLR gear.

I'm guessing wrong section?

Before I get in touch with Canon could anyone tell me if I’m missing something?

Two cards in camera recording same files to both cards at the same time. If a voice recording message is left on a file in card 1 it doesn’t record the same voice message to the file in card 2. Does anyone know the reason for this?

Seems a basic error to me?

The voice recording is tied to the movie function, Jim, and will only be recorded to the card which is specified for "playback" even if you've selected "record to multiple".

....see notes on Page 234 of the user guide.

Bob

The voice recording is tied to the movie function, Jim, and will only be recorded to the card which is specified for "playback" even if you've selected "record to multiple".

....see notes on Page 234 of the user guide.

Bob

Thank's Bob,

Yep, I did read that and other pages from the user manual but I couldn't find anywhere that it was impossible to write the sound file to both cards at the same time. I think it should have been mentioned somewhere.

Hi, does anyone know if its possible to stop the non-cross type focus points from flashing in the viewfinder? I have RTFM, but can't seem to see any reference to it. Thanks.

The flashing focus points arrived during an early firmware update after complaints that it was difficult to see which point was active when shooting against a dark background or at night.....probably why it's not in the user guide. It might have been added to the online versions if you have a look on Canon's website.

Bob

I have recently upgraded to a newer MacBook Pro and have had to use a Thunderbolt adaptor for Ethernet as no longer on the machine.

My conneciton is always dropping after a few seconds of completing the FTP transfer wizard setup to the machine from the camera. I have saved the connection settings and try to re-load but no joy after the initial setup. The WFT works fine over wireless.

When i look in the network connecitons window, the adaptor seems connected via DHCP (i have used this IP as the FTP Server IP), then just falls off and disconnects amd comes back with Error 41. (Cannot Connect to the FTP Server).

Is this something to do with the IP of the adaptor? Have been scratching my head...

As we all know, the instruciton manual for this is as much use as Long John Silver's left flip flop so any help is greatfully recieved!

If you message @bigrob he has a word document we created with how to get it all working both on Windows and Mac. I used a USB-Ethernet rather than Thunderbolt-Ethernet connection on the MacBook but that shouldn't make any difference.

Hi all - has anyone on here used one of the small wifi routers with their 1Dx to tranfer images wirelessly to a laptop (not a WFT)? I'm not looking to do remote shooting or anyhting like that - just to transfer selected images to a folder on the laptop.

Dave - David P was asking on FB about this for a Nikon.

I tried it wirelessly from a 70D and it was garbage.

I will PM you on FB.

Dave - David P was asking on FB about this for a Nikon.

I tried it wirelessly from a 70D and it was garbage.

I will PM you on FB.

Worked a treat - thanks Rob. Also got it working with my wireless router and so I don't have to be thethered to the laptop. Thanks for your help and advice.

Worked a treat - thanks Rob. Also got it working with my wireless router and so I don't have to be thethered to the laptop. Thanks for your help and advice.

ahem.... we dont like secrets :)

ahem.... we dont like secrets :)

Haha. I've got one of these TP-Link 3040 portable router's (got it a while back as they were doing a special offer for about £25) - connected it via Cat5 cable to 1dX and velcro'd it to the bottom of the camera - connect laptop to the TP-Link 3040 via wifi, which puts them on the same network and therefor allows them to be configured to transfer images. The only downside I can see is because I'm connecting to the router via wifi then I can't connect to a stadium hotspot via wifi for transferring images or my phone - this isn't a problem as I use a 4g dongle which still allows images to be transferred fine and then FTP'd. I'm sure there's another way round this though by introducing a switch or something and using the wired connection on the laptop - thereby freeing up the wifi.

Was very surprised how quick images get transferred and I need to test the range but worked fine all over my house (admitedly it's not that big!)

The only downside I can see is because I'm connecting to the router via wifi then I can't connect to a stadium hotspot via wifi for transferring images or my phone - this isn't a problem as I use a 4g dongle

So i use my 4g phone ..hotspot..... so laptop connexts to it...to email images.. I could use the mobile router same as you... and email pics out without changing owt...would connect to router and still to mobile hotspot at same time?

rob i know you did an article on this.. cant find, sounds intriguing... i have a routerr and cable next to me. wouldnt mind trying

That's the one!

So i use my 4g phone ..hotspot..... so laptop connexts to it...to email images.. I could use the mobile router same as you... and email pics out without changing owt...would connect to router and still to mobile hotspot at same time?

Not sure this would work. Your wifi is connectng to your phone so you wouldn't be able to connect it to the router via wifi - and you need this connected to create the mini-network that both your 1Dx and Laptop are on.

I connected my 1dx to home router.. turned eosutil on laptop and wtf pairing.... IT FOUND MY 1DX .. great! when i selected it to use. then selected in camera to use laptop..... it all dissapeared and now cant find each other again.... plus surely to connect the camera would ahve needed password otherwise anyone could connect

maybe turn off authorisation in the router.. but again at a match anyone could?

right it saved the laptop name in setting on 1dx

now what?

You could possibly add an extra wifi dongle to the laptop to give you 2 networks that you are connected to on the laptop. One connected to the router to give you access to the camera and one to the stadium wifi to give you access to t'internet.

In essence then the pics transfer to the laptop via the router and then ftp'd to the Internet via the other wireless card connected to the stadium's hotspot.

Or tether the 4G dongle/phone to the laptop where there is no stadium wifi to get the same result, ie the laptop still gets 2 connections, 1 via wifi to the router and the other via the dongle/phone out to the Internet via usb.

Or tether the 4G dongle/phone to the laptop where there is no stadium wifi to get the same result, ie the laptop still gets 2 connections, 1 via wifi to the router and the other via the dongle/phone out to the Internet via usb.

iant the router going to connect to the internet... then laptop connects to camera and internet.... confusing i know.. am not 100% on these things..

got my 1dx and laptop to connect but not stay connected.. they just agree with each other as found then ....nothing..

i have a continuous green lan light and laptop camera recognised each other.. but eos utils all still greyed out... HELP

I am completely torn between one of these and a 5dsr ( or a sony a7r ii) I shoot portraits etc weddings is my main earner so to speak but I have my wedding gear already this would be for a few other things possibly pet photography any input?

I have the chance to get one of these for 2.8k I'm seriously tempted............. but when the mk ii comes out realistically how much will it lose at that price?

Doubt you'll lose much if anything at all really, as the 1Dx was circa £5.2k when it originally hit the shelves and the replacement will more than likely come in around the same price point. To be honest the 7d mk2 made more of a dent in the 1Dx residuals; until everyone realised the 7d mk2 is no mini 1Dx.

Your previous post suggests that the main use for you would be Weddings and that the other Canon model under consideration would be the 5Ds/r. From speaking with a 5Ds owner recently, they said it was only good until about 800 iso which the 1Dx will far surpass. However the 5Dmk3 would do the same and for weddings would be a worth while cheaper consideration.

Back