Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Since receiving George's battery I've been playing around.

Putting his one straight into the charger resulted in it getting fully charged. So naturally I thought it was just a case of my battery being knackered.

Anyway, as soon as I put mine back in it came up with the red calibrate lights this time. My battery completed the calibration and seemed to be charging OK. After about 1/2 hour it started to do the same again, all lights flashing on the charger.

I then put George's back in and after a few minutes it said it was fully charged. I then took that out and put mine back in and then the same as above, all lights flashing.

Next I put George's back in one slot (A) and let it start and then put mine back in the other slot (B) at the same time. After a few minutes, mine started charging and went all the way and is now fully charged. When I put it in by itself now it no longer starts flashing all the lights.

Very weird / bazaar, but it looks like it doesn't like charging on its own when mostly discharged but will charge if there is another battery in the charger.

As George is thinking about getting a Mk2 we came to an arrangement that suited us both and we are both now happy bunnies.

The requirement to calibrate is normally based on a bit (in the battery) which is set by the camera body and then reset by the charger after a calibration cycle. If you didn't put your battery in to your 1Dx between the attempts above then it would appear that the battery is faulty......playing with its own bits as it were.

Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. No I didn't put it back into the camera between any of the attempts.

I'm not going to fully rely on it as my one and only battery and I now have a spare, thanks to George. I do want to run it down though and see what happens next time it is nearly fully discharged.

It might be worth checking the "Battery Info" tab next time you use it. The 1Dx monitors discharge v shots and gives a message on that screen if it detects a performance issue.

Bob

Just picked one of these up last week :) Secondhand but nearly used with less than 3000 actuations on it and it looked untouched. First outing was RIAT where I doubled the shutter count in two days so gave it a good test run in order to compare to my 1D3. Going through my shots this week and I have to say I'm impressed with the image quality but more so the hit rate. I used to limit the 1D3 to max 7 fps to ensure the AF could keep up and that worked well but now reviewing these shots I am getting the majority pin sharp even when the sky was grey and the plane was not filling the frame.

Very happy so far and it's re-invingerated my interest in the hobby. Need to start getting back out there and learn some landscape skills this time!

How does one get rid of the "Calibration is recommended when recharging battery next time" in camera, even though it has spent most of the day calibrating...??

It's the camera which sets a status bit in the battery and the charger which clears it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Bob. No I didn't put it back into the camera between any of the attempts.

I'm not going to fully rely on it as my one and only battery and I now have a spare, thanks to George. I do want to run it down though and see what happens next time it is nearly fully discharged.

I thought I would just point out that it generally isn't a good idea to discharge modern batteries.

Great Information Here

Table 2 in particular says we should not deep discharge and keep just topping them up.

Well worth a read

I thought I would just point out that it generally isn't a good idea to discharge modern batteries.

Great Information Here

Table 2 in particular says we should not deep discharge and keep just topping them up.

Well worth a read

Very interesting actually. I was intrigued as to whether I should simply charge after every shoot or run the batteries down first. Definitely plenty to consider there.

924 thousand and 543 thousand on my two 1dx bodies..the first one had a new shutter at around 500 thousand.. it didn't go.. just as a precaution..

anyone else getting these numbers? :)

924 thousand and 543 thousand on my two 1dx bodies..the first one had a new shutter at around 500 thousand.. it didn't go.. just as a precaution..

anyone else getting these numbers? :)

If it hits 1M clicks they should give you a new one for free!

I use a pair of 1DXs regularly for footy matches and have the * button set to back button focussing on both. Recently, however, I found that the * button on both has become "sloppy" and requires more of a push to get the camera to focus. It's as if the spring mechanism has worn out. I can't say how many times I've pressed the * button, but it's many times more than the number of clicks

Has anyone else come across this?

I'm planning to take both bodies and the 400mm and 70-200mm to Elstree after the footy season is over for a check up and calibrartion and get the * buttons looked at, at the same time

Last edited:
Bump for a thread I want to keep alive.

I will have a 1D x its just a matter of time.

I have the 1D MK 3 at the moment and will skip the MK 4 and go straight for the x me thinks

Bump for a thread I want to keep alive.

I will have a 1D x its just a matter of time.

I have the 1D MK 3 at the moment and will skip the MK 4 and go straight for the x me thinks
I've decided I'll probably sell mine in the near future. As much as I love it I really don't use it enough. Having looked at my Flickr output, miserable as it is, I find I use my m4/3 gear much more frequently.

I've decided I'll probably sell mine in the near future. As much as I love it I really don't use it enough. Having looked at my Flickr output, miserable as it is, I find I use my m4/3 gear much more frequently.

I will keep a look out, its just I have to sell all my Fuji gear to fund it

OK, it certainly won't be in the next couple of weeks. Although it functions perfectly I'll probably have it serviced first.

What is the shutter count ? I am looking for a low use one if possible. Kinda hard to find since usually professionals bought them in the first place

What is the shutter count ? I am looking for a low use one if possible. Kinda hard to find since usually professionals bought them in the first place
I'm honestly not sure, it's not very low though. Having used a 1D2n and a 1D4 before this 1Dx I feel the shutter count is a bit of a red herring. Shutters in these bodies have a heck of a long life and they aren't too prohibitive to replace. It's the general state of the body that's always interested me in the past.

I'm honestly not sure, it's not very low though. Having used a 1D2n and a 1D4 before this 1Dx I feel the shutter count is a bit of a red herring. Shutters in these bodies have a heck of a long life and they aren't too prohibitive to replace. It's the general state of the body that's always interested me in the past.

You can get a less then count off the camera in the system status display which is the 4th menu in the spanner section.

You can get a less then count off the camera in the system status display which is the 4th menu in the spanner section.

Thanks, I could not buy a high shutter count one. I was offered a 400K shutter one for under £1400 and I told them to keep it

I certainly agree that 400K is a high shutter count, would you say that 95K is high?

95K is fine, it will probably just be a case of will I be able to get enough money together at the right time

Thanks, I could not buy a high shutter count one

haha why niot? mine stopped at 1 million and they dont register any furthur... regular serviced and workign perfectly.... NOT for sale but just wondering what the problem is? 300 quid for a new shutter and its as if its bran new :)

haha why niot? mine stopped at 1 million and they dont register any furthur... regular serviced and workign perfectly.... NOT for sale but just wondering what the problem is? 300 quid for a new shutter and its as if its bran new :)

Desirability thing, closer to new in condition and use the more I want it.

There is a certain point where you think christ someone has just put it on burst mode and kept their finger down for the hell of it

Toni,you are a pro I feel we amateurs differ in that we don't service like you guys (pros) and that reflects on how we view a new purchase, So we tend to go for the shiny new looking thing rather than say a body like yours which more than likey is in better "inner" health.

Toni an analogy with what I do .................... It's a tool kiddo I can pull literally a 3rd of a mile in a day with a silicone gun compared to an amatuer whom messes up his bath and it's sits on a shelf for years. My tools will have done miles by the time he picks up his rusty gun months later,but mine will be infinitely better even though it's done a yard or two more than the other..

Mate I'm a curious sod,you've just posted of a couple of bodies that together have made nearly one and a half million images your tool of your trade. Would it be amiss to ask how you service these bodies,what's your regime . I know these bodies are tools built for a pro whom relies on them to perform for his lively hood.

Buddy be very sure there is no calling you out or BS like that here ,wanna learn tis all:).;) Simply as a guy that uses tools I an seeking how a canon pro looks after his

Oh kiddo ,tis a lot of clicks, you have told me of the shutter replacement. Have you had any other issues that presented a prob over the years??

take care

stu

One went with 110k in great condition on eBay for £1500 yesterday, was going for it myself.. But I dithered too much and it went..

I an seeking how a canon pro looks after his

Who said they look after them hahaha, this guy didn't...

dirty-canon-eos-1d-x.jpg

Would it be amiss to ask how you service these bodies,what's your regime

I send them to Canon every year to have them cleaned an serviced

On the body wiht over a million hits I had the shutter replaced at 500 thousand just to be on the safe side.... I am letting the other 1dx run its course to ee how many it will take.. now i have 2 1dx and a 1dxmkII i am not desperate to keep all three working and can be without one for a week while shutter replaced.. its currently on 546 thousand

Who said they look after them hahaha, this guy didn't...

dirty-canon-eos-1d-x.jpg

But aren't cameras meant to look like that when working?? Ahh ,ok, maybe the lens needs a bit of spit,ahh sorry how could I not !!
Man your killing me and I can't call ya GTG ,sorry buddy too funny, what's ya name??
Brilliant !1

Toni thank you !!!!!

I send them to Canon every year to have them cleaned an serviced

On the body wiht over a million hits I had the shutter replaced at 500 thousand just to be on the safe side.... I am letting the other 1dx run its course to ee how many it will take.. now i have 2 1dx and a 1dxmkII i am not desperate to keep all three working and can be without one for a week while shutter replaced.. its currently on 546 thousand

Could give an idea of the cost?

Plenty of life left in mine then just done 40,000 clicks [emoji23]

In case anyones interested... Had the Shutter and Mirror box go this weekend.. Sent to canon on Monday...got tuesday, Sorted Wed and back with me tomorrow apprently... (canon cps platinum) toatl cost £651

Had shutters go before.. this is my first mirror box failure... I have a 1dx with with 1 million 150 thousand clicks and the shutter was replaced (didnt pack in just got it replaced) at 500 thousand... so 650 thousand later shutter still going and 1.1 million mirror box still going.. the 1dx thats gone was at about 650k clicks

You just never know.. Anyways thats the price from canon elstree .. if anyone has the same problem..fingers crossed not :)

In case anyones interested... Had the Shutter and Mirror box go this weekend.. Sent to canon on Monday...got tuesday, Sorted Wed and back with me tomorrow apprently... (canon cps platinum) toatl cost £651

Had shutters go before.. this is my first mirror box failure... I have a 1dx with with 1 million 150 thousand clicks and the shutter was replaced (didnt pack in just got it replaced) at 500 thousand... so 650 thousand later shutter still going and 1.1 million mirror box still going.. the 1dx thats gone was at about 650k clicks

You just never know.. Anyways thats the price from canon elstree .. if anyone has the same problem..fingers crossed not :)

I take it's out of warranty?

HELP Video... I have no idea :(

I have a boxing match tomorrow night.. Just local working mens club.. They have been let down by the video guy and I am there to photo... So in panick mode they have asked if I can shoot some vide

As its a dark room I wil be using the 1dxII for photo

PLAN A
There is an elevated stage I plan to place tripod with 1dx pointing down at the ring... They are going to provide someone to turn it on/off between bouts.. I have a lumix dmc-lx7 that does decent video I am going to attach to top of camera as backup.. I am going to attach a go-pro to the 24-70 I am using ringside..

I presume point at ring..focus and hit go.. I have assigned the shutter button for stop/start making it easier for user..

longest fight will be 4 three minute rounds so 20 minutes top (with betwene rounds and presentation)

What focus mode? What file mode for MP4 straight out the box for boxers to display on computer or phone

Its dark so will be f2.8 .. will the boxers keep going in and out of focus? camera will be about 20ft away i suppose..

Last edited:
OK Tony....here goes but the maths are only as good as your estimates and the specifics of the venue. I have had to assume that you'll be square on to the ring and perpendicular to the mid point of the ropes.

If you're 6 metres (20') from the ring side and the ring size is 5m square (the middle of the accepted dimensions for a boxing ring) then you'll need to be around 43mm focal length to frame the ring post to post.
On your 1Dx at f/2.8 you should focus on a point 1.5m beyond the nearest ropes. This will give you an overall depth of field of 5.8 metres (enough to cover the ring) and it will start approximately 40cm before the nearest ropes and extend 40cm beyond the far side ropes.

Bob

Last edited:
Back