Canon 1DX - Official Owners Thread

Thanks Sam I'm going to have a good think over the weekend I think the 1dx for me is going to be the one at that price I think I will bite but going to try a few bits out first lol

Of course the 1dx is more robustly built and weathersealed than the 5d3 series... Although not completely waterproof as I found out when I threw mine into a deep pool of water. I now own the 1dx mk2. Not the mk2 in the traditional sense - but the mk2 as in the second one I've owned as I destroyed the first. I still wouldn't buy a 5d3 series to replace it.

Sigh... door mounting has come loose on mine and now wont spring open.. which is a pain.. can get it open by turning the opener then inserting something to flip it open and get cards out.. what a pain.. looks like a trip to canon.. full service clean and door fixed.. gonna cost an arm and a leg i suspect :(

I bought a 5DSR in the end and am awaiting delivery £1000 cheaper I know build quality not the same but going to give it a go

I'm looking forward to it was a real tossup between 1dx and 5dsr obv do diff jobs though

Sigh... door mounting has come loose on mine and now wont spring open.. which is a pain.. can get it open by turning the opener then inserting something to flip it open and get cards out.. what a pain.. looks like a trip to canon.. full service clean and door fixed.. gonna cost an arm and a leg i suspect :(
Unless you have very valuable gold plated diamond encrusted legs - I wouldn't think it'll be that silly :) I've had various bits changed that I expected to cost half a house, and in reality they didn't.

I have the 5ds now going to swap my 2 6ds and get a 1dx .... Put a wanted ad in the classifieds hopefully be joining the club soon :)

Also looking for a 1Dx. Where to find a reasonably priced used model?

The 1DX mark ii is rumoured to be announced in Q1 of 2016, and I have read that Canon have stopped making the mark I. Prices will only drop now when the mark ii comes out and retailers get rid of old stock, if they have any left of course.

Prices won't drop that much, people will want to then get their hands on a 1DX so the demand will be high, so second hand prices will stay high, as will new prices.

I’ve had focus problems this last while with one of my 1DX bodies to the point where sometimes it will just not lock focus. One minute it can be perfect and then the next six or seven frames in a burst can be well out, to the extent that nothing in the frame is in focus, it’s not like it is missing focus and locking onto something else………..very erratic.

A quick Google suggests the mirror box?

Anyone had a new mirror box or similar issues?

I’ve had focus problems this last while with one of my 1DX bodies to the point where sometimes it will just not lock focus. One minute it can be perfect and then the next six or seven frames in a burst can be well out, to the extent that nothing in the frame is in focus, it’s not like it is missing focus and locking onto something else………..very erratic.

A quick Google suggests the mirror box?

Anyone had a new mirror box or similar issues?

I took both my 2½ year old 1Dx's in for a service to Lehmanns last summer to get a clean up and to calibrate them to my various lenses.

It turned out that both bodies needed a replacement mirror box as both were showing slight signs of wear. The work sheets said MIRROR BOX WORN HOOK. Both bodies had done less than 6000 clicks, so it was a bit worrying to say the least :confused:

Anyway, Lehmanns replaced them FOC, which was nice

Up to the point of service, I hadn't seen any problems that you are reporting and haven't seen anything since. If yours has done a fair few clicks, then it may be something similar where the wear has gone that bit further than mine had and is now causing you a problem

Last edited:
I suspect that your symptom is the reason that early 1Dx's were recalled......lack of lubrication on the sub mirror preventing it returning to the correct alignment quickly enough.

Bob

Is there any way to tell the age by the serial number?

If the sixth digit is between 1 and 7 and there's no marking in the battery compartment (a spot or an A) then it's in the recall batch.

Bob

If the sixth digit is between 1 and 7 and there's no marking in the battery compartment (a spot or an A) then it's in the recall batch.

Bob

Yep I read that online, this body has a 9 for digit 6 and no markings but my other body has the black mark in the batt compartment. I think you are on the right lines with the sub mirror issue though.
Will get it boxed up and sent off today.

I presume there is no known way to tell body age by serial No?

I think that the 4th and 5th digit may increment monthly from the start of production....I'm not 100% certain though.

Bob

Yea, my mirror box was replaced (just) under warranty, Jim, and I know of another couple of people who have had the same problem.....and it had previously had the lube recall.

Prices won't drop that much, people will want to then get their hands on a 1DX so the demand will be high, so second hand prices will stay high, as will new prices.

Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct......I won't be going to a mk2 unless it's a really spectacular improvement on the mk1, which I doubt looking at the rumours.

George

Yea, my mirror box was replaced (just) under warranty, Jim, and I know of another couple of people who have had the same problem.....and it had previously had the lube recall.

Well it's now en route to Canon RMSD

Yep, the other one is fine but this issue has been slowly creeping up for the last wee while. I thought it was me or a lens but yesterday it was extremely poor at locking focus so I knew it was a body issue. One burst had seven frames and none in focus?

Yep, the other one is fine but this issue has been slowly creeping up for the last wee while. I thought it was me or a lens but yesterday it was extremely poor at locking focus so I knew it was a body issue. One burst had seven frames and none in focus?
......not like the 1 Dx!!

Canon phoned this morning to confirm receipt of the body and ask if there was anything else I required....................I have to say it's 1st class service from them!

Do you think they might do it under warranty....perhaps worth quoting that it's a known problem?

This one is still under warranty :)

Excellent!!.......might you want to get the other one checked before it runs out?

Been having trouble with both my setups lately.. 1dx +400 locks up at f9.1 or 00 so prseume a connection problem.. gets ERR01.. also pin sharp at 3.2 but not great at 2.8 .. I think this may be a full frame+long length thing being to thin and me pointing at wrong are of body.. not 100% sure..

the 1dx and 70-200 lets me down focus wise.. for example last night.. player scores.. runs right at me arms open.. so its one of them you fire away and away machine gun.. in order to pic the best one.. hes full in frame coming at me... perfect.. so why are some out of focus.. all should be in focus..

Sent an email at 1.45 pm to cci_servicecentre@cuk.canon.co.uk explaining my requirements and tight time scale..

at about 4pm they phoned me :)

Said even if I take my equipment 9am on mon morning.. they still wouldnt look at it until tue.. so if i posted mon.. they get tue and wouldnt look until wed :(

So after speaking to the nice lady.. I take gear in mon.. As i am a CPS Platinum member they have 2 days to service clean and fix problems (tue and wed) then post back to me to get thur.. But if needs spare parts they have to order (I am having problems) then they will know thur and send me out replacement gear thur to get to me friday...

its about 85 quid for the proAF service for 1dx and 400 .. then 58 quid for the other 1dx.. however wiht the problems I am having i fully expect the cost to double or triple :(

2nd may.. long drive down to elstree...again!

They dont really want to repair them for you, oh no, they want you to upgrade to the 1DX MK2 :)

Been having trouble with both my setups lately.. 1dx +400 locks up at f9.1 or 00 so prseume a connection problem.. gets ERR01.. also pin sharp at 3.2 but not great at 2.8 .. I think this may be a full frame+long length thing being to thin and me pointing at wrong are of body.. not 100% sure..

the 1dx and 70-200 lets me down focus wise.. for example last night.. player scores.. runs right at me arms open.. so its one of them you fire away and away machine gun.. in order to pic the best one.. hes full in frame coming at me... perfect.. so why are some out of focus.. all should be in focus..

Sent an email at 1.45 pm to cci_servicecentre@cuk.canon.co.uk explaining my requirements and tight time scale..

at about 4pm they phoned me :)

Said even if I take my equipment 9am on mon morning.. they still wouldnt look at it until tue.. so if i posted mon.. they get tue and wouldnt look until wed :(

So after speaking to the nice lady.. I take gear in mon.. As i am a CPS Platinum member they have 2 days to service clean and fix problems (tue and wed) then post back to me to get thur.. But if needs spare parts they have to order (I am having problems) then they will know thur and send me out replacement gear thur to get to me friday...

its about 85 quid for the proAF service for 1dx and 400 .. then 58 quid for the other 1dx.. however wiht the problems I am having i fully expect the cost to double or triple :(

All ready.. cleared the week made sure no jobs.... then last night find out 2nd may is a bank holiday and canon elstree are closed for the day... aaaargh what an idiot :(

16th May next chance I get and only if local team accy stanley not in playoffs :( Need a free week to get all my stuff cleaned serviced and probably fixed :(

Anybody had any problems charging the battery?

Now, when I attempt a charge all seems fine for 5 or so minutes with the 50% light flashing (the battery is 14% full according to the camera). After that all 3 % lights start to flash and the CHARGE light on the unused side lights. ie if I start a charge on the A side the CHARGE light on the B side lights - if I attempt a charge on the B side, the A side CHARGE lights up.

I left it going overnight and the camera reports that the battery is now 21% full.

The red CAL light doesn't light up at all, only the green CHARGE light.

If I press the PERFORMANCE button before everything starts to flash, all 3 % lights come on - which is meant to indicate that the battery is fine.

Unfortunately yes. Hoping it may be a battery problem rather than the charger. A lot cheaper to buy a new battery rather than a charger.

I've got a spare battery which I could send you to try, once you have mine you could send me yours and I'll try that if you want?

Fine, I can send you mine but it won't go till Wednesday as the post is only picked up once per day....and let's see what happens then and decide whether it's worth sending me yours.

Look forward to the PM.

Back