Canon 30D released

S

Steve

Taken from RobGalbraith

“Canon today has unveiled the EOS 30D, a refined version of the EOS 20D that shares the same image sensor and numerous other core camera components but adds a 2.5-inch (diagonal) rear LCD, increased burst depth, Picture Styles, a shutter with a higher duty cycle rating and a long list of other camera usability changes.
If you're familiar with how Canon evolved the EOS-1D Mark II into the EOS-1D Mark II N, then you have a pretty good idea of the type and magnitude of tweaks the company made in updating the 20D to 30D status. The 20D has been our favourite second-body camera since its introduction in the fall of 2004, and the 30D appears to be making a good thing better.”

Changes in the 30D include:

• A new 2.5-inch, 230,000 pixel rear LCD monitor with wide viewing angle
• Canon's more flexible Picture Style menu, which replaces the Parameters menu of the 20D
• Sharpening of in-camera JPEGs can be turned off, which is a first for a Canon entry-level or midrange digital SLR
• ISO 100-1600 is now selectable in 1/3 stop increments
• ISO can be set without taking one's eye away from the viewfinder
• Increased burst depth: 11 frames for RAW CR2 shooting, 30 for Large Fine JPEG and 9 for RAW+JPEG
• A more-durable shutter that's rated for 100,000 cycles
• A slightly-shortened mirror blackout time of 110ms; Canon's specification for shutter lag remains the same as the 20D at 65ms
• Viewfinder information now includes a dedicated Flash Exposure Lock (FEL) indicator
• Switchable High-Speed Continuous (5 fps) and Low-Speed Continuous (3 fps) frame rate settings are now included
• An Auto setting in the Long Exposure Noise Reduction Custom Function
• The ability, like several more-pricey Canon digital SLRs, to simultaneously apply long exposure noise processing to one picture while capturing another
• The addition of a 3.5% spot metering mode
• 0.15 second camera startup time
• A more-precise 4-increment battery charge indicator
• Reduced energy compensation, for a promised improvement of 10% more frames per charge
• No more new folders created every 100 photos; in the 30D, a folder can hold 9999 photos
• A new automatic rotation option that enables verticals to not be rotated on the rear display but appear rotated in compatible browser software on the computer
• The ability to zoom in on a photo in Quick Review mode
• During playback, the image+shooting data screen will display either an RGB or Brightness histogram, file size and will optionally display AF markings
• Improved Jump function
• Refined multicontroller operation
• More-detailed error code information, which now appears on the rear LCD monitor (in addition to the top LCD panel); the camera settings information screen will also display Images Failed to Transfer when the WFT-E1/E1A is in use and a transmit error occurs
• More ways to wake the camera up from an Auto Power Off snooze
• Direct image transfer from the camera to a computer using the PTP protocol
• A revamped software package that includes Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 2.1, EOS Utility 1.0 (a new image transfer, camera settings and camera control application), Image Browser 5.6 (Mac) and ZoomBrowser EX 5.6 (Windows); DPP adds user-settable noise reduction and support for RAW files from the Canon EOS D2000 and D6000
• New and potentially useful direct printing capabilities (plus a dedicated direct print/image transfer button)

There is nothing on Canon’s site yet but if you want to read the full article then it can be found here

Thanks to IanC_UK for bringing this to my attention :)

You posted this while I was typing mine :thumb:

regards

so, its not a massive upgrade more an update...probably thats why canon were keeping it so quiet. if people realised too soon how little it differed then there'd be very little interest in it...as it is there still may be little interest in it. I wonder if this is designed - along with the cashback released:
http://canoneos5dpromotion.onlinerebates.com/intro.aspx
- to drive sales of the poorly selling 5D up a bit? and we're going to get a proper upgrade later in the autumn...

The big screen is much nicer, and the spot metering is long overdue. The picture style settings are the same as the 1D MK2N and the 5D and I find them just the job and really convenient. The tweaks are nice but I'm surprised Canon arent playing the pixel game and haven't gone for more pixels, especially as they produce their own sensors and are old hands at the mega pixel game. To be fair I think 8 mill is enough - presumably Canon do too.

It's a nice camera for anyone looking to buy, but I don't see any great need for 20D users to consider trading up, it's nice though that it's compatible with 20D bits including battery grip for anyone who's just gotta have one.

Subtle changes but the spot metering is the only thing I'd really find useful. Other than the more robust shutter is handy but not really anything to make me think about changing.

Iso visible in the viewfinder is long overdue and a step in the right direction.

Steve said:
Iso visible in the viewfinder is long overdue and a step in the right direction.

It is, although with the 1D you can have it displayed in the viewfinder all the time as a custom function. It would have been easy to add that to the 30D I'd have thought.

It's nice to see the back of that new folder every 50 shots thingy.... absolute pain!

Actually, when I think about it, I seem to remember the 20D having a shutter life of 100,000 when it came out originally.:confused-

i like the idea of 100,000 shutter actuations, this is one area of paranoia i have with my 350d

dod said:
Actually, when I think about it, I seem to remember the 20D having a shutter life of 100,000 when it came out originally.:confused-

I thought that too! :ponders:

Well in greasy marketing speak they've not said anything wrong there:

It's a more durable shutter that's rated to 100,000 cycles.

They've not directly said what it's more durable than and even if you take it to mean the 20D they've not said that the 20D isn't rated to 100,000 cycles....

Or am I just being a cynic? :p

Hmm balls. I was hoping for a better ISO range. I didn't really see any reason to upgrade my 10D to a 20D, and now theres no real reason to upgrade a 20D to a 30D. Maybe Canon are stuck with what features they can provide at this price range without taking anything away from high end models? Bit annoyed really.

Would be a good upgrade from a 300d though.

petemc said:
Hmm balls. I was hoping for a better ISO range. I didn't really see any reason to upgrade my 10D to a 20D, and now theres no real reason to upgrade a 20D to a 30D. Maybe Canon are stuck with what features they can provide at this price range without taking anything away from high end models? Bit annoyed really.
put themselves in a corner you reckon? where the nikon guys bang out a D200 (ok some have flaws but still, pretty stonkingly good camera) canon release the tried and tested with a face lift..."20DmkII N was that?"

shiato storm said:
put themselves in a corner you reckon? where the nikon guys bang out a D200 (ok some have flaws but still, pretty stonkingly good camera) canon release the tried and tested with a face lift..."20DmkII N was that?"
I'm just thinking out loud :) I can't see why Canon would continue to launch a tweaked 10D rather than a real upgrade.

It will go up to 3200 ISO as a custom function apparently - why as a CF I've no idea.

Overall it sounds good, nothing spectacular in terms of new ideas or pushing the boundaries, but I guess its a testiment to how good the 20D is that theres not too much room for improvement.

Not the camera everyone will rush out to buy as a replacement, more the camera that will be a suitable entry level for those seeking something a bit more flexible than the 350D, and those that eventually replace their aging 10D/20D with eventually.

Got to say I was expecting something more aggressive in respect to more headline features like a bigger sensor maybe, higher pixel count maybe, larger viewfinder.
It does have some very attractive features, the 3200 ISO, larger LCD (2.5"), not longer creates new folders every 100 shots (does this for every 9999 shots instead). Possible 1100 shots (750 with Flash Assist/AE). And of course Spot Metering.

Any one know about a price, only noticed prices for the new lenses and TBH I thought the 17-55 IS 2.8 was perhaps a little over priced considering it clearly isnt an L.

According to the article it still has the Nikon beat in most areas relating directly to output quality though, build quality and weather sealing are great (I would have liked to see that improved on the 20D replacement) but we all use cameras to take pictures and it's that final output that I am most concerned about. If its still better than the Nikon D200 there then the informed will buy it. Where it will lose out though is on the high street were the public cannot test and evaluate the output from live shoots. They will just see two different bodies with similiar specs and chose the one that feels better to them or looks the prettiest.

Warspite said:
Any one know about a price, only noticed prices for the new lenses and TBH I thought the 17-55 IS 2.8 was perhaps a little over priced considering it clearly isnt an L.

From the article..
The 30D is slated to ship in mid-March 2006 in the U.S. at an expected street price of US$1399. The 20D will continue to be sold for some time after the ship date of the 30D, in the U.S. and perhaps other markets also.

Warspite said:
It will go up to 3200 ISO as a custom function apparently - why as a CF I've no idea.

20D does this now anyway

Warspite said:
Not the camera everyone will rush out to buy as a replacement, more the camera that will be a suitable entry level for those seeking something a bit more flexible than the 350D, and those that eventually replace their aging 10D/20D with eventually.

I certainly wouldnt replace my 20D with one of these, i want to see an improvement when i upgrade, some of the features are nice and if i was looking for a 20D now i would buy one of these instead, but its certainly not enough to make me upgrade 20D - 30D !

I have to wonder if recent Nikon releases have totally ambushed Canon, because I cannot see anything that is really going to unerve them, all the solutions in the 30D really seem to be just clutching at straws for bits and pieces to cram in a new body, under the guise that its a new camera, when we all know its an update (at best).

I hope this is a sign that perhaps Canon is holding something back for a little later, but it doesnt strike me that way - it does seem that Canon have dropped the ball, and at the momemt would appear to be fumbling with their recovery.

Camera's are getting like cars, aren't they?
Give it a new grill, paint the bumpers and rebadge it.

Its an upgrade that will push some buyers towards it if they are not already
tied into a manufacturer.
They see the 20D (as a lot of consumers do) as a cracking piece of kit,
that still has lots of potential. So why not just update it?

What would be nice now is a new firmware upgrade for all of you 20D owners,
that includes some of the new features from the 30D

taken from the EOS magazine online announcement:
http://www.eos-magazine.com/EOS system folder/EOS system/Digital cameras/EOS 30D/keyfeatures.html

The camera was announced on 21 February 2006 and should be on sale (body only) in March 2006 at a recommended retail price of £1099.99

the released price is $1399 or 1399 euros (as stated on dpreview). at present exchange rate; from USD its £805, from Euros its £955 and as stated on the eos mag. site its £1099...now, given all its got (or not got) how attractive does it sound?
rip off britain?! since when did 1399 euros accurately translate to £1099?
there is currently a 300 euro cashback on the 5D BUT they've also made it £200 - which is a pretty fair exchange. to charge in excess of £150 to europe on this, quite frankly, lack-lustre release is shameful.
so if anyone is listening price it fairly! the 5D is/was stymed by the high price tag.
oh and the nikon d200 ;)

$1399 is £805 + VAT = £945. I'm not entire sure why it should be £1099 either. However I was expecting it to be £1200 like the 10D and 20D were. I was hoping for an awesome updgrade. I'm heading to see Dave in Toronto in May so I was hoping to benefit from the £300 saving. I just don't know if its really worth buying. I could get a 70-200 f/2.8 instead which would be more useful.

It's the usual rip off Britain pricing.

Direct conversion from dollars to euros $1399 - €1,175.94 or to pounds £803.074

Can anyone remember what the rate for import duty is on Digital cameras, or is there any?

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the 1/3 stop increments of the ISO range yet. Being able to use ISO 125, ISO 160 etc is something I reckon I'd use. Especially between ISO 200 and 400. And perhaps even between 400 and 800.

And I agree entirely about the folders thing. Having a new one every 50 shots really annoys me. Never understood why they won't just fix that with a firmware update.

dod said:

Anyone know what the shutter live of a 5D is?.

ASH said:
Anyone know what the shutter live of a 5D is?.

I think it's the same - 100,000. In practice that's a lot of clicks. :)

You need a special bit of software to acess the info stored in the camera Jamie, but it's a bit like the 'use by' date on food, it could fail sooner or go on a lot longer. The shutter mechanism can be replaced.

CT said:
You need a special bit of software to acess the info stored in the camera Jamie, but it's a bit like the 'use by' date on food, it could fail sooner or go on a lot longer. The shutter mechanism can be replaced.

I thought it was just a case of the elastic band breaking.:D

fingerz said:
How do you know when your shutter needs replacing? Does the body just give an error message?

No but the big black lines on the pictures will lol :D

There was a 1Ds on eBay recently. The guy selling it had been well and truly shafted having bought a 'lightly used' camera and the shutter failed. It turned out to be well past the anticipated 200K exposures. He had a new shutter fitted, I forget the figure but it wasnt cheap, and while he was on he had it serviced and refurbed by Canon. It was going for serious money, but I suppose with a new shutter it must have a new lease of life. I wouldn't think there's too much else to worry about as it's mainly electronics stuff?

Just got a mailshot from Jessops, and they have announce their pricing for pre-order.

the recommended retail price with the 18-55 EF-S lens is £1179.99.

import duty is 8% and then vat on top

I got the Jessops mail too, went straight in the trash can.

There just isn't enough of a change to justify changing my 20D for the 30D.

In fact the only thing i did think was worth having was the bigger LCD on the back as i've been caught out a few times with poor images on the PC when they looked sharp on the LCD.

I didn't think there was import duty on the camera body.....:dizzy:

petemc said:
I'm just thinking out loud :) I can't see why Canon would continue to launch a tweaked 10D rather than a real upgrade.
The 20D and 30D are not tweaked 10D's - even the 20D is significantly different to the 10D.
I think in general people expect too much from the next camera upgrade, the 30D fixes are few grumbles with the 20D. What else do you really need ?!?!

Back