Review Canon 40D. First Encounter.

It takes a woman to sort out all these techical problems!! :woot:

or give me a nice new signature... instead of that stupid cokins one!! ;)

OK tis sorted. As Janice says, you don't have to just press and release the AF On button, you keep it pressed and can hear the lens focusing .When you release it you have a sharp image in Live View. It's a bit of a faff but yep - it works. (y)

That's a great review CT, thanks (y)

OK tis sorted. As Janice says, you don't have to just press and release the AF On button, you keep it pressed and can hear the lens focusing .When you release it you have a sharp image in Live View. It's a bit of a faff but yep - it works. (y)

Hmm hgavent tried it but i dont think that works on the 1D MK3 liveview

Hmm hgavent tried it but i dont think that works on the 1D MK3 liveview

I dunno Ian. :shrug: As I say, don't see myself being a big user tbh. On the 40D you can disable Live View altogether and assign the SET button another function (one of several) in shooting mode.

I dunno Ian. :shrug: As I say, don't see myself being a big user tbh. On the 40D you can disable Live View altogether and assign the SET button another function (one of several) in shooting mode.

I dont even have the option in the Mk3 to AF, i have live enabled but rarely use it, its a monster for gobbling batteries apparently

Does this mean Janice is going to Focus???...I don't see her name on the list Ian has just sent....:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Great review CT. Just sold me one. (y)

New toys and the light is rubbish! :puke:

Still - quick test at 1600 ISO. This shot was at around 30 feet, 700mm. It's a crop, but otherwise is a jpeg straight out of the camera with only sharpening applied in processing. Sharpening has obviously increased the noise, but it's still very acceptable and on this showing I'll have no qualms about using 1600 ISO - a huge advantage for me when conditions aren't ideal.

2280989919_a643a2c3a5_o.jpg

The noise seems more grain/ film -like now and with the option to run NR just on the background 1600 ISO delivers the goods for me.

Same shot with NR run just on the background.
2281813574_0bb253f960_o.jpg

Wait until you try ISO 3200, its not (to my eyes) much different. Lovely shot btw

Nice review CT (y)

Ian C - no AF in live view on the MK3, but there are rumours (when aren't there!) of a firmware update to address.............

excellent pics to go with a terrific review
you've earnt your crust today, young sir!

Is this camera any good for a beginner, thinking about saving up for one. Brand new to DSLR's, just bought myself a second hand 300d to practice/learn with.

Been reading for a while about a 40d, is it a good camera for a beginner?

Love the shots by the way, and a great review. Makes me want to go and get one now.

Is this camera any good for a beginner, thinking about saving up for one. Brand new to DSLR's, just bought myself a second hand 300d to practice/learn with.

Been reading for a while about a 40d, is it a good camera for a beginner?

Love the shots by the way, and a great review. Makes me want to go and get one now.

There's two schools of thought on this - one is get an entry level camera and see how you go - in 12 months time you might be more interested in train spotting. ;)

The other is buy the best you can and you wont outgrow it in a hurry - I tend towards that sentiment. Having said that though, the basic problems are the same for a beginner whichever model you go for - a camera is a camera - some just have more features and better build quality, they'll all be capable of taking great shots. Not much help probably. Get down a dealers and examine a few different models to see how they feel, then leave your head at home just take your heart when you buy... works for me. :D

Wait until you try ISO 3200, its not (to my eyes) much different.

I was going to do a 3200 ISO test but I've ony just found out you can't expand the ISO with Highlight Tone Priority enabled. Doh!! :puke:

Anyway, here goes - the light is now really dire, which is when I suppose you'd use it anyway, so a pretty fair test. I was getting 1/200th at f5.6 - 700mm.

Got to agree susie, it's pretty impressive. This is again a cropped jpeg straight from the camera just sharpened.

2281945462_94c4d7c70a_o.jpg

The same shot with NR applied to just the bg and the contrast and sharpening tweaked a bit.

2281945534_57854d3e41_o.jpg

Quite remarkable I reckon and eminently usable.

*yoda voice*

"Impressed I am!"

very good
in fact, nearly as good as Glo's robin! :LOL:

I was going to do a 3200 ISO test but I've ony just found out you can't expand the ISO with Highlight Tone Priority enabled. Doh!! :puke:!

Does nobody ever read my posts??? :shrug:

Another thing to remember with Hightlight Priority enabled... you cannot use ISO 100 or ISO 3200 if you want to use these you have to disable the highlight priority.

I've got something to aim at there, give me a year or 2 and I may get close!
I do have noise reduction set in camera, but how do you do it in processing? I have been using canon software but should have photoshop6 coming at some point if its in either of those.

You can get plugins for Photoshop, Susie... Noise ninja is a good one.

I've yet to see NR software which I'm happy to run on the whole image, they all reduce noise at the cost of fine detail to some extent,, and you can usually spot it's use a mile off.

I much prefer to just select the background which is invariably where the noise is most apparent, and run NR just on that. Any software which allows you to use masks to apply NR selectively should do the job.

Great review CT, your photos are stunning as always. I've learnt a lot about my 40D just by reading this thread as I hadn't yet got round to experimenting with some of the custom functions such as the Highlight Tone Priority that was mentioned. Very useful, thanks!

This is a direct comparison of 1:1 reproduction between the 1DMK2n and the 40D. Both shots are tripod mounted using the 500mm f4L and 2X TC (1000mm) and obviously taken from the same position, at a distance of about 40 feet. The 40D was focused manually.

Both these shots are full frame shots just resized.

IDMK2n (1.3X crop sensor)

The Robin was an accident.:D

1DMK2n_full_frame.jpg

40D (1.6X crop sensor)

40D_fullframe.jpg

The enormous advantages of the crop sensor are obvious. If it's wildlife you're into, think seriously about whether your money would be better spent on a 1 Series body or some very long glass!

Do I wish the 40D would still AF on the 500mm with a 2XTC though? Hell yes!

"I'll just do some lens tests - sorry about the robin"!
dontcha just hate this guy!:puke:
(only kidding!)

half the people on the forum would be very happy to get a picture like your accident :)

but a very graphic example of the difference the crop factor makes :clap:

CT have you tried the taped pins trick on the TC to fool the AF into working?

CT have you tried the taped pins trick on the TC to fool the AF into working?

I haven't - I'm a bit wary of the cost of the kit at either end of it.

Got a link though to which pins ?- I can't seem to find it. Might give it a go. :D

This thread has been very useful indeed. I think I`ll hold fire until March to see what happens regarding possible cashbacks, plus I want to have a look at the 450D.

It definitely looks like the upgrade to the 40D is the way to go though. Keep up the good work!

Been dropping hints about the 40D for a while to no avail - 'im in doors just doesnt understand! However, Canon does have a £100 cashback running from 1 March! Camerabox is currently selling at £679, so less £100 is starting to sound more possible. Pity I'm already about 2 years of Xmas and birthday pressies ahead!
Dear Santa .................................

This thread will be the reason why we will be living off beans on toast for the whole of March :LOL: Thanks CT (y)

I agree.. or will for the first few days...

Tis a small price to pay though by the sounds of it ;)

Ordered one from Kerso, delivery on Tuesday.
Hey hey, no need to read the manual now:LOL:
Great review btw.
Cant wait to get me grubby mitts on it now.
Focus on Imaging tomorrow, see if i can buy some "necessary" extras.
Dean:)
P.s. tha robin accident..........always said they should start culling them.:eek:

Back