Canon 40D still worth buying?

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Well I've managed to pick up a low shutter count 40D and a pristine 50mm f1.8 for £125 which seems a fair price and got batteries, memory card, filters etc included which will be sufficient to get me started again. (so much for saving up!) I'll probably look for a 24mm in a few months once I've got some practice in. Only got an old laptop to edit on (screens not up to much) but it's a start! Look forward to sharing some photos soon
Congratulations on the 40D and the 50mm; that's a good deal.

You mention you are using a laptop with not so great a screen. As and when funds allow, you might want to investigate whether you can plug a monitor into your laptop--if so, you will end up with a much bigger/better screen for editing. Something like this (£120) might suit: Dell 24 Monitor – S2421HN

Have fun with your 40D when it turns up -- we've got snow here today, so I might put my 50mm on my 450D, and go for a stroll once there's a little more light...

Edit My Images
No
Don't get me wrong the 40D is a great camera, I broke my digital photography teeth on it.
And used it for a few years. But I did find the 7D better all round.
It was mostly coupled to a 70-200 2.8. is.
Maybe because I never found the need to shoot above 800 iso?

I've no idea what it was like above that though ...

Never had a problem with my 7D which is why I have given up waiting for a mirrorless crop version for the time being and just bought a MKII. I did find that it depended a lot on which processing package I used, Adobe Elements was particularly bad with 7D files and they always came out a lot noiser than if I used other software.

I borrowed a 90D from Canon and that was a pretty good sensor despite the MP size but IMO the autofocus let the camera down, had they put the 7D II system and 2 card slots in it would have just about been the perfect allrounder (especially as they discontinued the 7D MKII)

Cobra

Staff member
Name
Phitt, Hissy Phitt
Edit My Images
No
did find that it depended a lot on which processing package I used, Adobe Elements was particularly bad with 7D files
I'd not even thought about that Mike TBH.
I've used CS5 for many years, and previously CS3.
Its only recently ( this past year) that I've added De Noise AI & Affinity into the mix.