Canon 40D still worth buying?

Well I've managed to pick up a low shutter count 40D and a pristine 50mm f1.8 for £125 which seems a fair price and got batteries, memory card, filters etc included which will be sufficient to get me started again. (so much for saving up!) I'll probably look for a 24mm in a few months once I've got some practice in. Only got an old laptop to edit on (screens not up to much) but it's a start! Look forward to sharing some photos soon
emoji16.png

Congratulations on the 40D and the 50mm; that's a good deal.

You mention you are using a laptop with not so great a screen. As and when funds allow, you might want to investigate whether you can plug a monitor into your laptop--if so, you will end up with a much bigger/better screen for editing. Something like this (£120) might suit: Dell 24 Monitor – S2421HN

Have fun with your 40D when it turns up -- we've got snow here today, so I might put my 50mm on my 450D, and go for a stroll once there's a little more light...

Don't get me wrong the 40D is a great camera, I broke my digital photography teeth on it.
And used it for a few years. But I did find the 7D better all round.
It was mostly coupled to a 70-200 2.8. is.
Maybe because I never found the need to shoot above 800 iso?

I've no idea what it was like above that though ...

Never had a problem with my 7D which is why I have given up waiting for a mirrorless crop version for the time being and just bought a MKII. I did find that it depended a lot on which processing package I used, Adobe Elements was particularly bad with 7D files and they always came out a lot noiser than if I used other software.

I borrowed a 90D from Canon and that was a pretty good sensor despite the MP size but IMO the autofocus let the camera down, had they put the 7D II system and 2 card slots in it would have just about been the perfect allrounder (especially as they discontinued the 7D MKII)

did find that it depended a lot on which processing package I used, Adobe Elements was particularly bad with 7D files
I'd not even thought about that Mike TBH.
I've used CS5 for many years, and previously CS3.
Its only recently ( this past year) that I've added De Noise AI & Affinity into the mix.

Back