Canon 50mm 1.4 or Canon 85 1.8?

Name
Russell
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, looking at buying a lens but I already have the 50mm STM 1.8 and I use two bodies 1 X FF and 1 X Crop
What would I really get that was worth the outlay with either 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8?
Thanks
Russ

The 50mm 1.4 (Canon) wouldn't be enough of an improvement over your current 50mm (if any at all).

The 85mm is OK on FF and great on crop, the 135 f2 is better still but the cost jumps up.

Seeing as you have a 50mm I would go for the Canon EF 85mm f1.8 I don't think you will be disappointed.
Or if you want something a bit faster Sigma do a nice 85mm f1.4 ;)
But I guess it's down to how deep your pockets are and your budget.

Last edited:
Thanks people, was looking at the Sigma 85mm 1.4 as found Sigma on most occassions good equipment all round.
But! (always a but!!) there is an Canon 85mm 1.8 available at a good price used so 1.4 versus 1.8???
Russ

Thanks people, was looking at the Sigma 85mm 1.4 as found Sigma on most occassions good equipment all round.
But! (always a but!!) there is an Canon 85mm 1.8 available at a good price used so 1.4 versus 1.8???
Russ
The Sigma lens is better - but dearer. horses / courses.

I have the Canon 50mm f1.4 and although it is a step up from the older 50 1.8 Mk2, it's not much of a step up from the STM version because that is so much better in terms of build and AF (the 2 weak points of the Mk2 and the reason I upgraded to the 1.4).
The 85mm 1.8 is a great lens, it's relatively light (certainly lighter than the Sigma 85 1.4 beasty) and quick for autofocus and at that focal length, the I don't think the difference between f1.8 and f1.4 is worth the extra money and weight.

With a 50mm on full frame body and an 85mm on a crop body, you've got a great setup for weddings, but it does depend what you want to shoot.

I own the Canon 50mm f1.4, and have used the Canon 50mm f1.8 a fair bit. If I already owned the f1.8, I wouldn't bother investing the money in the f1.4. It is (slightly) nicer, but not by enough to justify the price.

Last edited:
FWIW I recently bought an EF 85mm f/1.8 from one of the guys on here (who only moved it to make way for an f/1.2) and I'm delighted with it on my 7DII. Sharp as anything. Looking forward to getting more use out of it.

Last edited:
I have a Sigma HSM 50mm f1.4 NOT the art and the Canon EF usm 85mm f1.8 the 50mm is a massive heavy lens for a 50mm but the 85mm is a dream on 5D or 50D I would in your position look at a 85mm and keep your existing 50mm lens :)

I have not used the 50mm STM 1.8 so can not comment on that lens. I up graded from the 1.8 mk2 to the 1.4 mainly as I got a very good trade in price I was glad I made the change, I had the 1.8 stm then don't think I would have changed. I would just go for the 85mm I have the Canon 1.8 which I like not used the Sigma. If you just getting one lens then if you can find a good deal on Sigma might be worth going for if not I am sure you will like the Canon 1.8.

Where are you based, I have both these lenses and depending on distance you could try both?

Where are you based, I have both these lenses and depending on distance you could try both?
Hi, If the offer is aimed at myself I am afraid I would need to pass. I live on Rhodes (GREECE) But many thanks for the offer.
:ty:
Russ

Hi, If the offer is aimed at myself I am afraid I would need to pass. I live on Rhodes (GREECE) But many thanks for the offer.
:ty:
Russ

Road trip! lol .............. I knew you were from Greece (profile page) but was unsure if you were permanently there.

I also had the canon 50 f1.4 and I too was not that impressed with it. It was ok when stopped down but that defeated the point of a f1.4 lens. I am thinking of getting the Sigma 85 f1.4 my worry is only I will see the difference over my 24-70 f2.8 mkII at 70mm f2.8. If my customers don't notice the difference I'm not sure I can justify the price.

Last edited:
Back