Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

Hello Guys & Girls

Would anyone happen to have a battery door that is lying around collecting dust? I am buying a near pristine mk1 again...woohoo!!!

It comes with a moderately hammered grip but the battery door is missing...

Any help appreciated if anyone can!

May I be forward and ask / suggest that lens and basic exposure info or camera settings also be posted.

^Some amazing images by the way^ Kudos and compliments!!

Cheers! Thanks!
I find that info very helpful. I hope others do too!

I can't, for some obscure and annoying reason, log into my Flickr account...

I simply don't have the patience to fiddle with it...

I am curious, guys and girls

Down here on my side of the pond I was told in no uncertain terms that I have absolutely no support for any of my gear except for my 5D MkIII which is now just over 5 years old.

I mean really now?

I know this is off-topic although slightly relevant but, given the money we spend, why don't we simply buy up 4 or 5 or even more classics like the 5D1 and cannibalise them one day if need be?

I was given, what felt like, a big middle finger when I was told that the powers that be are not even interested to look at my 70-200/2.8 IS L Mk1, should anything go wrong, because it has been discontinued and it is over 10 years old...

Do you experience the same in Europe?

I am curious, guys and girls

Down here on my side of the pond I was told in no uncertain terms that I have absolutely no support for any of my gear except for my 5D MkIII which is now just over 5 years old.

I mean really now?

I know this is off-topic although slightly relevant but, given the money we spend, why don't we simply buy up 4 or 5 or even more classics like the 5D1 and cannibalise them one day if need be?

I was given, what felt like, a big middle finger when I was told that the powers that be are not even interested to look at my 70-200/2.8 IS L Mk1, should anything go wrong, because it has been discontinued and it is over 10 years old...

Do you experience the same in Europe?
In general Yes.
My 50D has just been repaired but I know Canon are taking it off their "supported" (though CPS) list, and it's less than 10 years old.
Lenses seem to have a longer life span, so long as there isnt a mk2/3 or whatever already made. Of course pre electronic that wasnt so much of a problem, now with internal ribbons etc lifespan may not be as long, welcome to our throwaway society.
Matt

Hello Guys & Girls

Would anyone happen to have a battery door that is lying around collecting dust? I am buying a near pristine mk1 again...woohoo!!!

It comes with a moderately hammered grip but the battery door is missing...

Any help appreciated if anyone can!

I got one on ebay recently for about £6 although it didn't quite fit properly so I ended up having to file some edges down.

In general Yes.
My 50D has just been repaired but I know Canon are taking it off their "supported" (though CPS) list, and it's less than 10 years old.
Lenses seem to have a longer life span, so long as there isnt a mk2/3 or whatever already made. Of course pre electronic that wasnt so much of a problem, now with internal ribbons etc lifespan may not be as long, welcome to our throwaway society.
Matt

Thanks for that.

It does suck though, doesn't it?

I will start buying as many 5D1 bodies as I can afford to. I thankfully have a guy in town who really knows how to work on cameras...screw that, let others make them rich!

I got one on ebay recently for about £6 although it didn't quite fit properly so I ended up having to file some edges down.

Cheers, I have been looking but no joy yet. Will keep trying!

Another thought, no rant this time...

Is there anybody who has or has access to any of the latest cameras in the 5D model line?

I am quite curious to see shootout images as fairly executed as possible.

Any takers or others who think this might show worthwhile results?

IMG_9782-2 by Chris Andrew, on Flickr
same shot but took a bit of the sunlight off the top of the budleah,should I have done?is there anything else I could have done regarding the over highlighted area of the sun on top of the Buddleah?

Last edited:
IMG_9782-2 by Chris Andrew, on Flickr
same shot but took a bit of the sunlight off the top of the budleah,should I have done?is there anything else I could have done regarding the over highlighted area of the sun on top of the Buddleah?

Wound the compensation back a bit further, and then perhaps boosted the shadows slightly in PP to compensate.

Cropped the Cat's Head out :D

Share from flickr at a reasonable size, your photos always take an age to load, try selecting the smallest 'Large' size, we can alwyas click on the link if we want to see it in all it's glory. :p

Last edited:
Wound the compensation back a bit further, and then perhaps boosted the shadows slightly in PP to compensate.

Cropped the Cat's Head out :D

Share from flickr at a reasonable size, your photos always take an age to load, try selecting the smallest 'Large' size, we can alwyas click on the link if we want to see it in all it's glory. :p
thanks for your advice ,always willing to learn .never thought about a long time loading because its instant on mine but good point. also was in 2 minds about the cats head but your correct, and i will try your other options re the exposure,
cheers

New owner here :) Picked up a really nice one from Jim Gallaher on here, along with battery grip. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but from a few quick snaps around the house I'm excited!!

I've been using a 40D for a few years now and have a few lenses, namely, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC and Canon 50mm f1.8, as well as an EOS-M that tends to have the 22mm F2 left on it.

I have an upcoming holiday, and I plan to take the 5D & M, but probably not my 40D as I want to keep the weight down!! This leaves me with a bit of a hole in my wide angle territory!!

Any suggestions from the current crop of 5Dc users? I had considered sticking with primes, so maybe a 35mm F2 and say a 24 or 28mm f2.8 - but this would leave the UWA lacking, and I'd be keen to try out 17mm on FF. With that in mind, I could sell my Tamron 17-50, and go for the 17-40 L - but some of the reviews seem to say that this isn't one of Canon's better L lenses, and perhaps the Tamron would be just as sharp, but also faster. This morning I was pretty keen on the idea of hunting down a Tamron 17-35mm as a lot of reviews compared favorably to the 17-40L, but obviously a lower price point. Yet I watched a review on YT earlier and it basically said it was pretty rubbish, slow AF and very soft in the corners!!

Now I'm back to square one!!

A Canon 85mm f1.8 is on my list, but it's the shorter end I need to think about.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Happy playing, I am jealous, will still have to wait a while for mine.

Also, check out lenses on Photozone.de

They are straight, no-nonsense and balanced in their reviews.

New owner here :) Picked up a really nice one from Jim Gallaher on here, along with battery grip. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet, but from a few quick snaps around the house I'm excited!!

I've been using a 40D for a few years now and have a few lenses, namely, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Tamron 70-300mm VC and Canon 50mm f1.8, as well as an EOS-M that tends to have the 22mm F2 left on it.

I have an upcoming holiday, and I plan to take the 5D & M, but probably not my 40D as I want to keep the weight down!! This leaves me with a bit of a hole in my wide angle territory!!

Any suggestions from the current crop of 5Dc users? I had considered sticking with primes, so maybe a 35mm F2 and say a 24 or 28mm f2.8 - but this would leave the UWA lacking, and I'd be keen to try out 17mm on FF. With that in mind, I could sell my Tamron 17-50, and go for the 17-40 L - but some of the reviews seem to say that this isn't one of Canon's better L lenses, and perhaps the Tamron would be just as sharp, but also faster. This morning I was pretty keen on the idea of hunting down a Tamron 17-35mm as a lot of reviews compared favorably to the 17-40L, but obviously a lower price point. Yet I watched a review on YT earlier and it basically said it was pretty rubbish, slow AF and very soft in the corners!!

Now I'm back to square one!!

A Canon 85mm f1.8 is on my list, but it's the shorter end I need to think about.

Any suggestions welcome :)

Reading conflicting reviews makes any choice difficult! I have a 17-40 L which is fine for my purposes but I don't shoot wide that often, I prefer my 24-105 L. I tried the 16-35 L F4 IS which is very impressive but more expensive.

Last edited:
I must admit, as my holiday is only a couple of weeks away, I did consider just picking up a 24-105 to cover all bases as a god walkabout lens - then concentrate on building a prime selection once I have got more of a feel for the camera and what I want to get out of it.

I imagine the 24-105 is quite heavy to lug about all day in the heat though?

I don't find the weight an issue. If I restrict myself to one camera and one lens, this is the one I take for general purpose use. Try to find a shop that has one to try, which is not easy these days. ( I have the mark one)

I loved the Sigma 50mm f1.4 on my 5D. I took some of my favorite pictures with that combination.

I'd not used my 5D for a while so was planning to sell it. I got it out to check it over the other day (offered it to @Hallsy but he went with someone elses...) and thought I'd try a snap or two. Quite pleased with this one:

36816734661_a5a86a4c71_k.jpg

Last edited:
Back