Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

I must admit, as my holiday is only a couple of weeks away, I did consider just picking up a 24-105 to cover all bases as a god walkabout lens - then concentrate on building a prime selection once I have got more of a feel for the camera and what I want to get out of it.

I imagine the 24-105 is quite heavy to lug about all day in the heat though?

OK, just saw there is a Mk 2...

//Off to check it out on Photozone.de

But seriously, I hope the Mk 2 is better because the Mk1, though beautifully practical was quite a bum lens imho...

OK wait, I must have been on a caffein low or something...

There are two 24-105 Canon lenses. See their respective Photozone reviews here:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/420-canon_24105_4_5d?start=1

And here:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/898-canon_24105_3556stm?start=2

Andy, as for your problem with lenses...I would personally not buy either 24-105 despite their appeal in practical focal range.

Your concern was wide angle...

Have a look here:

http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/427-canon_1740_4_5d?start=2

They say it is quite OK from 20mm onwards but, admittedly, I don't know how important those 17-20 ranges will be to you...

If you REALLY don't like the 17-40L you could probably get your money back if you sell it on.

My 2c worth...

Thanks Anton - I have been reading and watching reviews (Christopher Frost on YouTube has lots of helpful reviews) - the general conclusion for the 17-40 L is that is softer than my Tamron 17-50 2.8. So the Tamron is faster, smaller and potentially sharper, yet the 17-40 L is better built, better AF and potentially better colour/contrast.

If I bought the 17-40, I'd sell my Tamron as I'd use it on my 5D and 40D, but I'd be disappointed if the 17-40 didn't seem worth the extra. I do find the Tamron can hunt a little, so the improved AF would be welcome.

The Tamron 17-35mm gets slammed for being soft in the corners, but it looks to be comparable to the 17-40 L from what i've seen. Obviously the AF is slow, build is poor, but it still looks half decent for the cost.

I think as you suggest, I need to try a 17-40 L to see what I think in the real world. I'm no pixel peeler, but some of the test shots do show quite poor edge performance for the 17-40. I realise the 16-35 L would be abetter option, but it's out of my budget!!

In the short term I have decided to find a Canon 24-85 USM to take on holiday as a walkabout lens, then I will have a better feel for what focal lengths I want to cover. I might find that 24mm is ample, but I do like the idea of experimenting with UWA.

Last edited:
The church ceiling shot I put up a few posts back was taken at the 17mm end of the Canon 17-40. I applied lens correction in Lightroom but otherwise it's almost straight from the camera, and I'm happy with the lens quality.

I guess that is a great case for not over analysing things!

That's a great looking image imo, and it's only if you start pixel peeping that you can see the corner softness. At normal viewing size, it looks awesome :)

That's a great looking image imo, and it's only if you start pixel peeping that you can see the corner softness. At normal viewing size, it looks awesome :)
Thanks :) The full res image is on Flickr if you click on it (I don't normally leave the full images "out there" but was too lazy on this occasion!) so pixel peep all you like :)

Well said sir! If we completely realied on reviews we would only try to buy the very best available, normally fast primes. A lot of lens errors can be corrected in post and a good photo does not need to be technically perfect.

If you require perfection I doubt you would be using a 5D classic.

Last edited:
:bat:

I beg your PARDON??

:D

As I expect you are aware I love my 5D classic, I was having a pop at pixel peepers. It has many deficiencies compared with modern cameras but in reasonable conditions it produces great pictures. I paid £250 for my copy last year, I'm sure the 5D iv is better, but is it worth an extra £3k, for some it is but not for me. Perhaps I am just a cheapskate!

Some input on both the 24-105 L (Mk1) and 14-40 L

I owned both these lenses with a 6D and found they performed really well. Bokeh and falloff could sometimes be messy on the 24-105 wide open but a lot of the times I didn't see it. For how much you can pick them up for, I think they are both good lenses for the money.

IMO I don't think you'll beat a prime lens. I've gone prime to zooms and back to primes as I just find primes work better for me. The 24-105 would give you an all round range, especially if being used for travel.

Are any fellow 5Dc users using Lightroom CC 2015?

I have just returned from my holiday and started importing photos into LR. The 5Dc does not seem to be playing ball, just hangs on the preview/selection page, working symbol shown in LR and activity LED flashing away on the 5D. I left it like that for an age last night, but no joy. If I stop the import it shows a load of thumbnails without preview, but it just says the images are unavailable.

Is this a known 5Dc/LR cc problem?

I can copy the images to my PC then import into LR, but I prefer to just import into LR direct from the camera :sulk:

Are any fellow 5Dc users using Lightroom CC 2015?

I have just returned from my holiday and started importing photos into LR. The 5Dc does not seem to be playing ball, just hangs on the preview/selection page, working symbol shown in LR and activity LED flashing away on the 5D. I left it like that for an age last night, but no joy. If I stop the import it shows a load of thumbnails without preview, but it just says the images are unavailable.

Is this a known 5Dc/LR cc problem?

I can copy the images to my PC then import into LR, but I prefer to just import into LR direct from the camera :sulk:

Have you tried using a card reader.?

I so can't wait to have mine again. The deal is done and camera secured. Now simply an issue to come up with balance of cash.

Have you tried using a card reader.?

Unfortunately my card reader does not have a CF slot :(

Strangely, I have tried again this morning and it quite quickly showed the thumbnails in the import screen (although all thumbs are lacking a preview) - so I have continued with the import and they are slowly making their way across!!

The lack of previews is not quite right, but at least they are coming across now.

It's a start anyway!!

Hello Guys & Girls

Would anyone happen to have a battery door that is lying around collecting dust? I am buying a near pristine mk1 again...woohoo!!!

It comes with a moderately hammered grip but the battery door is missing...

Any help appreciated if anyone can!

Hi,

Have you already sorted it?
The battery door is, usually, stored in the side of the grip itself. Did you check?

Hello hello

Yes, I did. No joy yet, still hunting for one.

Returning to the forum after a long time away. Had the 5D set up with a 430ii flash mounted on a tripod and unfortunately it was knocked over. The flash mount on the 5D and the bottom of the flash are damaged. Anyone recommend a place to repair and rough cost?

Been asked to take some photos at a family christening and ideally need to sort this.

Fixation repaired and cleaned my 5d a couple of years ago, very reasonable price and quick turnaround.

My 3rd 5D Mk1 (and sadly only currently...) finally made it home today!! Happy days indeed!!

Lots and lots of piccies to follow!!

19227-1509462374-eb9d1483e79b6182e4883d8bdec7a42d.jpg

A quick grab from a FaceBook post...off to play!

Camera is pristine, grip shows some wear...bargain I think! 100 GBP?

Last edited:
Had my first 5Dc (in fact first Canon, nevermind first full frame camera) around a month or two and am slowly getting to grips with it and its imperfections. I don't really mind as i'm taking my time instead of blasting away.

It's going to have the 50mm STM welded on it for quite some time but that was my whole intention whilst I started to love photography again...it's been a while;

Hannah by Paul Dobson, on Flickr

A 5D with grip for £100? :eek: That's an amazing bargain!

It was! For this reason I am already looking out for another one...I will probably be happy when I have 3 or 4...

Back