Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

I wouldn't mind, I think I know everything there is to know but I also bet i'm wrong :D

it's worth looking at just for the presenting skills of the guy... it's like something from Open University circa 1978 (y)

i'll add you to the list Iain

Last edited:
Had the 5D two weeks now, a couple of the boy and a landscape so far:

I need to use it more, but at the moment find myself picking up the 7D first as I seem to be able to get better pics at present.

poppy fields shot is a cracker.

*** UPDATED LIST FOR THE DVD ***
DAVERED
DAVE WALTON
AKR
TAZ
BREN-ESCAPE
EIGHTH AVENUE

if anyone wants adding to the list let me know and i'll update (y)

one from the garden yesterday... for once i got my daughter to spare me 5 minutes for a few pics.... unbelievable!

IMG_2113.jpg by leftcurl, on Flickr

that's with a 70-200mm F/4 @ 70mm F/5.6

gutted that i chopped her elbow off as there's about as much chance of a re-shoot as nailing blancmange to the ceiling :bonk:

it's worth looking at just for the presenting skills of the guy... it's like something from Open University circa 1978 (y)

i'll add you to the list Iain

Thanks, looking forward to seeing whats on the DVD, to hopefully get the best from the 5D.

DaveRed still not received the DVD from Madmatt yet, so there's a bit of a delay in proceedings. I've PM'd matt to give him a chase but he's not been on since 19 June so he may have been away or something.

one from the garden yesterday... for once i got my daughter to spare me 5 minutes for a few pics.... unbelievable!

IMG_2113.jpg by leftcurl, on Flickr

that's with a 70-200mm F/4 @ 70mm F/5.6

gutted that i chopped her elbow off as there's about as much chance of a re-shoot as nailing blancmange to the ceiling :bonk:
I wouldnt be too hard on yourself I think its a cracking photo and one you'll look back on in years to come with great joy.
Anyway, rules sre supposed to be broken, crop the other one off to and make it look like it was meant to be like that :)

Some lovely shots on here really show what a great camera/lens/photographer can do. I've got 2 out of 3, waiting for the last one, someone might get me it for Christmas.

Matt

sorry for the delay, been moving house. was posted first class recorded today

cheers Matt, thanks for the update. Glad the DVD survived the move :D

Seems I'm still having trouble with focus issues with my 5D Mk1, here's an attached recent photo I shot at a family wedding, inside/handheld with a 50mm f1.8 MkII lens, quite soft for some reason (??), I'm getting disillusioned with everything/****ed off;

IMG_2551.jpg

It doesn't look soft to me the eyes are nice and sharp. Was it shot @ f/1.8? I would assume so looking at the bokeh in the background, if you want sharper shots maybe up the ISO, don't be afraid to go to 800 and close the aperture down a bit. The nifty fifty is good but not brilliant wide open for sharpness.

Maybe have a practice on the kitchen table with some stationary objects and a piece of white/black card and have a play around with the settings.

according to my exif reader.....

Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) 1/100 second ===> 0.01 second
Lens F-Number / F-Stop 28/5 ===> ƒ/5.6
Exposure Program aperture priority (3)
ISO Speed Ratings 3200
EXIF Version 0221
Original Date/Time 2011:06:25 14:38:38
Digitization Date/Time 2011:06:25 14:38:38
Components Configuration 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
Shutter Speed Value (APEX) 9891/1492
Shutter Speed (Exposure Time) 1/99 second
Aperture Value (APEX) 18325/3649
Aperture ƒ/5.7
Exposure Bias (EV) 0/1 ===> 0
Metering Mode pattern / multi-segment (5)
Flash Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
Focal Length 105/1 mm ===> 105 mm
User Comment (Hex) 0x41,0x53,0x43,0x49,0x49,0x00,0x00,0x00
User Comment Character Code ASCII
User Comment
FlashPix Version 0100
Colour Space sRGB (1)
Image Width 4368 pixels
Image Height 2912 pixels
Focal Plane X-Resolution 873600/283 ===> 3086.93
Focal Plane Y-Resolution 1456000/471 ===> 3091.3
Focal Plane X/Y-Resolution Unit inch (2)
Custom Rendered normal process (0)
Exposure Mode auto exposure (0)
White Balance auto (0)
Scene Capture Type standard (0)

105mm focal length - 100th sec shutter (shutter speed/focal length rule) Are you sure you shot it with a nifty 50?
ISO 3200 (a bit high for the 5D classic)
F5.6 (most of my lenses are nice and sharp at that F teritory)

Have you got any shots in daylight? crops of the focus piont would be usefull as well

Last edited:
Sorry, I stand corrected, I used my Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5. I took hundreds of photo's that wedding day/changed different lenses, got it mixed up.

Not sure were I'm going wrong, annoying ok!

I think you're getting a bit over critical. Unless you are pixel peeping there's nothing wrong with that shot at all imo.

3200 ISO isn't great on the 5D though - as I understand it it isn't a 'real' ISO setting on the 5D.

1/100th on a 105mm is going to be borderline to avoid some element of camera shake, particularly if the child is moving around as well.

give us some more to look at in comparison, i bet it won't be an issue with the camera :shrug:

Almost done watching the DVD. Have pm'd Dave Walton whos next on the list

Sorry for the delay in replying buy I have just had a baby girl and not been on here in a while.

PM sent with address details

Cheers

I've just joined the club after buying one from a member here.

I was initially a little disappointed with the image quality. I was expecting a significant leap over my 20D particularly in noise and dynamic range but so far I've been a little underwhelmed to say the least, I expect my expectations were too high. I was quite disappointed in the amount of 5D noise although I have found that high ISO 5D shots whilst initially looking just as noisy as the 20D's respond better to noise reduction.

I bought a Siggy 85mm f1.4 to use on the 5D, cracking lens and better than their 50mm f1.4 I think. One good thing is that the shutter is significantly quieter than the 20D's, which is a total disgrace IMVHO. One bad thing is that the 5D+85mm is significantly heavier than the 20D+50mm and of course, very annoyingly, there's no inbuilt flash. Why Canon doesn't fit one to its full frame jobbies when every other SLR/DSLR I've had to date had one I just don't know.

I've just joined the club after buying one from a member here.

I was initially a little disappointed with the image quality. I was expecting a significant leap over my 20D particularly in noise and dynamic range but so far I've been a little underwhelmed to say the least, I expect my expectations were too high. I was quite disappointed in the amount of 5D noise although I have found that high ISO 5D shots whilst initially looking just as noisy as the 20D's respond better to noise reduction.

I bought a Siggy 85mm f1.4 to use on the 5D, cracking lens and better than their 50mm f1.4 I think. One good thing is that the shutter is significantly quieter than the 20D's, which is a total disgrace IMVHO. One bad thing is that the 5D+85mm is significantly heavier than the 20D+50mm and of course, very annoyingly, there's no inbuilt flash. Why Canon doesn't fit one to its full frame jobbies when every other SLR/DSLR I've had to date had one I just don't know.

I went from a 40d to the 5d (I still have the 40d). I hardly ever used the 40d and 50mm combo, but now pretty much only use the 5d and 85mm 1.8 even though it is pretty much the same FOV :thinking:. I'm not sure if it's the placebo effect, but I much prefer the images coming out of the 5d with the 85 (though I have never used the 85 on the 40d). I do find ISO 1600 much better straight out of camera on the 5d than the 40d.

I hope you get to enjoy it - worse case you can no doubt sell it on for virtually the same price. :)

Oh I don't think I'll be selling it as even if there was no change in image quality related things at all there are still advantages like being able to use the Siggy 85mm f1.4.

TBH I bought the camera so that I could use this specific lens as it'd be too long for me on my 20D. My 12-24mm is also a changed beast on the 5D too although I think I'm right in saying that you can actually go a mm or so wider in real terms on APS-C these days.

And, I think I can actually see an improvement in higher ISO shots after NR as for some reason (I don't know why yet, need to research...) the 5D shots seem to retain more detail after NR.

Im really confused ?

How on earth have you reached those conclusions when comparing the 5d to a 20d?

Something must be wrong with your 5d not to blown away all round after upgrading.

The 20D does produce cracking images. I've also owned a 1D & a 5D and most of my favourite images have been taken on the 20D.

I'm glad the 5D doesn't have an in built flash, it would just ad complexity & a weak point in the chassis for a feature which won't be used by typical 5D users. When it cane out it was a pro tool, pros won't want to compromise the quality of their shots by using onboard flash.

Im really confused ?

How on earth have you reached those conclusions when comparing the 5d to a 20d?

Something must be wrong with your 5d not to blown away all round after upgrading.

Have you compared the two? I have.

I think that I just had unrealistic expectations. I expected to see a big improvement in image quality and initially I just didn't see it. Regarding high ISO noise I expected to see significantly cleaner, that is less noisy, images from the 5D and what I saw was a lot of noise in well exposed shots.

However, after noise reduction I do see better images from the 5D as they seem to retain more detail whereas cleaning up a noisy 20D image can lose a lot of detail.

I'm glad the 5D doesn't have an in built flash, it would just ad complexity & a weak point in the chassis for a feature which won't be used by typical 5D users. When it cane out it was a pro tool, pros won't want to compromise the quality of their shots by using onboard flash.

I've never owned a 35mm SLR that didn't have a flash and I've never had a flash fail. I personally find a built in flash very useful and I will miss it.

Nikon fit one to one of their FF cameras and TBH if the 5D or 5DII had one I'd have bought a new one years ago instead of buying a used one just to mount a lens I wanted on.

Just starting to feel a little more at home with my 5d now and have been considering some new glass. Given the state of finances at the moment what none Canon Glass are people using or feel that they possibly would use.

I have absolutely no problem not being able to use a pop-up flash, they're useless as far as I'm concerned. The problem it throws up is a lack of commander flash which is irritating.

I've just decided to join in the fun of this thread, I will be honest and say I didn't read all 12 pages.

To me not having a pop up flash isn't an issue, I never use one on my cameras that have it so I like to think (although possibly wrong) that they put the money saved into other areas. As for IQ, what a lot of people don't know is that the 20D was a great little performer, actually better than the same resolution 30D at high ISO settings so I can understand why the step might have not seemed as great as it could have. I still use my 5D regularly, it will be out tomorrow at my sister-in-law's wedding in conjunction with my 5DmkII so keep an eye out in the people/portrait section in a few days time.

I have a D70.

I am thinking about getting a 5D classic. Really fancy it.....

Thoughts/advice?

To me not having a pop up flash isn't an issue, I never use one on my cameras that have it so I like to think (although possibly wrong) that they put the money saved into other areas. As for IQ, what a lot of people don't know is that the 20D was a great little performer, actually better than the same resolution 30D at high ISO settings so I can understand why the step might have not seemed as great as it could have.

I think that the reason for the lack of built in flash is maybe more to do with the target market than cost savings. I think that Canon assume that anyone buying a single digit (but not 7D...) body will be more experienced and will be using an external flash unit. The lack of a built in flash therefore probably isn't an issue for many in this market.

Back in the film days there was a time when lots of DSLR's had a flash and what I've been waiting for is a direct replacement for the 35mm SLR's I used years ago but unfortunately for me there still isn't a direct Canon replacement. TBH, I rarely use a flash and when I do want one the fill flash from a built in flash is usually enough for me... plus I hate the attention that an additional flash unit can attract.

On the IQ thing, there's no doubt that the 5D produces better images than the 20D but I think it's just that my expectations were a little too high, a little unrealistic. I think I expected a night and day difference that would jump out and smack me in the face but instead what I've seen is more of an incremental change.

TheSianz said:
I have a D70.

I am thinking about getting a 5D classic. Really fancy it.....

Thoughts/advice?

To get the best out of a 5D you need to have good lenses, the 5D will show up flaws in cheaper lenses, so prepare to budget for that.

What do you feel is holding you back with your D70? And what lenses do you have for it?

What would you say the max ISO that is usable on the 5D classic is?

It's usable (imo) right up to its limit of 1600. Depends on how much detail you want to get out of it (e.g. without major ETTR, 1600 is barely usable for macro work).

To get the best out of a 5D you need to have good lenses, the 5D will show up flaws in cheaper lenses, so prepare to budget for that.

Not really. The 5D shows up flaws in lenses with poor edge performance that wouldn't show up on a crop camera, but the comparatively low pixel density in comparison to most other cameras means its much more forgiving of soft lenses than crop cameras, and slightly more forgiving of CA at least over the ASP-C area.

Ive had a few APSCs some of the more recent being, D90, A580, A55, D7000, 7D. I then bought a 5Dc, would never go back now. Sure the AF isnt the fastest, FPS are slow but the image quality is fantastic.

What would you say the max ISO that is usable on the 5D classic is?

It'll go to ISO 3200 and although the shots can show a lot of noise they clean up well. This is one area where the 5D is better than the 20D as although they can both show a lot of noise at 3200 the 5D images certainly respond better to noise reduction IMVHO.

Back