Canon 5D MK I 'classic' - owners thread

I think you need to Google and see if you can find pictures of modified cameras as as far as I remember there was a piece that went diagonally across each corner, I could see them clearly on my camera but I can't see them in these pictures but looking on Google the mod looks more like your camera so I'm a bit confused... were there different ways of carrying out the mod...
I don't have a clue. From what info I can find it looks like the pictures I have put up. Unmodified ones do not seem to have the little strips at the edges of the mirror and look like it relies on glue to keep the mirror in place. Confused now.

I think you are correct. Mine has no strips like yours or the one in the pic above.

Mine has a very late serial number so not sure if later ones were unaffected?

Have Canon finally stopped offering free repairs for this fault?

See below

My mirror fell off last week spoke to canon customer service and they said the recall had finished ..............then went to Lehmanns and they said the recall had been extended for another 12 months (to sept 2016) so mine is currently being fixed under the extended recall for free, this should include a clean.

I would ring Lehmanns in Stoke on Trent fixed mine in a week FREE under the extended warranty ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Canon customer service had no idea it had been extended but lehmans did ............for £150 I would take a chance cracking camera in my opinion just right with a lack of non essential features :)

Have Canon finally stopped offering free repairs for this fault?

Had this reply from Canon last week.

In reference to your enquiry regarding a repair for your Canon EOS 5D please see the information below.

Unfortunately we have to let you know there are no longer spare parts available for this camera. Therefore we are not able to replace or repair the mirror within your camera anymore.

In reference to your enquiry regarding a repair for your Canon EOS 5D please see the information below.

Unfortunately we have to let you know there are no longer spare parts available for this camera. Therefore we are not able to replace or repair the mirror within your camera anymore.
Funny Trev,must have forgot you have a 5Dc ;)

I don't care about that mirror thing and as I don't care, I've never got a problem with it. ;)
I've currently got two of them and had one before, which has been stolen.

And you don't have to use the cheapest lens, you can find, although of course you can. I've started with an EF 28-105, but also a very good one, isn't a waste, as you'll get better pictures with better lens, even with the 5D.

Recently I've been to Vienna and all three days I used just the 5D, mostly with the EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM or sometimes with the EF 16-35 mm f/4 IS USM attached and I didn't miss my 5D III.

I've created an flickr album with some pictures of that visit here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lenzmoser/albums/72157679794732063

I don't care about that mirror thing and as I don't care, I've never got a problem with it. ;)
I've currently got two of them and had one before, which has been stolen.

And you don't have to use the cheapest lens, you can find, although of course you can. I've started with an EF 28-105, but also a very good one, isn't a waste, as you'll get better pictures with better lens, even with the 5D.

Recently I've been to Vienna and all three days I used just the 5D, mostly with the EF 50 mm f/1.8 STM or sometimes with the EF 16-35 mm f/4 IS USM attached and I didn't miss my 5D III.

I've created an flickr album with some pictures of that visit here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lenzmoser/albums/72157679794732063
Lovely photos, I'd forgotten how good the 5DC is, I must get mine out this summer, I've only got the 50mm f1.8 lens now, got rid of all my Canon gear sort from the 5dc and the 50mm when I moved to Fuji.

In a recent thread I asked if I should buy a 6D given I already have a 7Dii and a 5Dc.

Having tried a 6D briefly, I appreciate that the low light performance is better, it has features that are not on the 5D, but it terms of IQ I cannot not see much difference unless I pixel peep or need very large prints. For whatever reason, I really like the tonal quality of the 5Dc.

Is it just me, perhaps I need my eyes tested.

In a recent thread I asked if I should buy a 6D given I already have a 7Dii and a 5Dc.

Having tried a 6D briefly, I appreciate that the low light performance is better, it has features that are not on the 5D, but it terms of IQ I cannot not see much difference unless I pixel peep or need very large prints. For whatever reason, I really like the tonal quality of the 5Dc.

Is it just me, perhaps I need my eyes tested.

I will have to agree with you on the tonal quality of the 5Dc. There is somewhat an organic / natural feel to the files. Although I find the 6D files easy enough to work with.

There is less noise at the higher ISO end and I did find it to hunt less for focus here and there. It feels a better camera all round IMO. Worth the price difference? That's a hard one to decide depending on your use and wether you need what the 6D gives over the 5Dc. I moved from 5Dc to Mirrorless and then from Mirrorless to a 6D. The 5Dc produced some great prints and I think it holds it's own pretty well today.

I think they told me that but lehmans had the parts anyway :)

Just thought I'd post in here of my experience with a 5Dc.

At the end of last year I bought a new 80D, my wife occasionally likes to take pictures of family or of our cats but says she feels intimidated by the 80D as it has so many settings and she's worried she will break it (she is quite clumsy to be fair). So I picked up a 5Dc for a couple of hundred quid, reasoning that it is already fairly beat up so it doesn't matter if she does knock it around a bit and it is dead simple in terms of having less features so she isn't intimidated trying things with it. I popped my 50mm prime on it and away she went.

However, ever since I picked it up the first time I fell in love with it. It's still her camera but I'm at the point now where I would rather use it over my 80D. All of our pictures are combined so I see them all together in Lightroom, the photos just have something about them that makes them seem that much better, but I can't explain what it is. Whether it is IQ or something to do with the full frame sensor I'm not sure, I just know I like it.

I always held the view that I needed a new camera with all the features, high pixel count, high ISO etc. I think this is partly driven by the industry always touting the latest and greatest gear, also me being a bit naive and not having any real experience with cameras. If I'd known prior to buying the 80D how good these old cameras are I think I would have gone for a 5D MK2 on my budget and been happy as Larry. Live and learn, and I still have a 5Dc that is great fun to use, even only with the one prime on it.

hi everyone,youll be glad to know you will be seeing my little face in hear from time to time now, just got a mint looking 5D,just waiting for a lens I've put a bid into.
cheers
ps if you see Minnnt or Photopaque in here just ignore them, they are just trouble ;0

hi everyone,youll be glad to know you will be seeing my little face in hear from time to time now, just got a mint looking 5D,just waiting for a lens I've put a bid into.
cheers
ps if you see Minnnt or Photopaque in here just ignore them, they are just trouble ;0

Are you just trying to make your way into every owners thread? :LOL:

Enjoy! The 5DC is a lovely camera and stands it's own pretty well.

omg I love this camera,Nirvana at last.quick hurried shot, nothing special but wanted to register a shot on here for future ref. ,don't even know what setting I had but Im going to keep this camera forever .just ordered the canon grip for it.
IMG_8913 by Chris B, on Flickr

omg I love this camera,Nirvana at last.quick hurried shot, nothing special but wanted to register a shot on here for future ref. ,don't even know what setting I had but Im going to keep this camera forever .just ordered the canon grip for it.

Famous last words? :LOL:

Nice shot by the way. Enjoy the 5D

Nice one Chris... I had a 5D a long time ago now and loved it! Such a a classic camera.

What is it about the 5D you like Chris? Didn't you buy an A7?
Hi Alan,yes I did buy an A7 and liked it very much.
What I like about the canon 5D is the retro type feel, lack of menu functions ,NO VIDEO.solid feel.feels good in my hands. and the IQ so far is reminiscent of my fuji x100 less digital look to the files.
plus it was cheap lol

Hi Alan,yes I did buy an A7 and liked it very much.
What I like about the canon 5D is the retro type feel, lack of menu functions ,NO VIDEO.solid feel.feels good in my hands. and the IQ so far is reminiscent of my fuji x100 less digital look to the files.
plus it was cheap lol

Are you keeping the A7?

What lenses will you be using on your 5D? I loved my Sigma 50mm f1.4 on my 5D but these days I prefer 35mm on my A7. Anything between 28 and 55mm would be great though :D

I sold my A7 last yearner was it this year hmm anyway I sold it, not because I didn't like it but just for a change :)

Ive got the 50 1.8 stm. will probably get some 35mm and the 70-200 F4

I'm with you on the no frills element. I've never been fussed with video on a DSLR. Has the essentials and is capable of some lovely results. There is a certain look to the images I found. I guess they don't look over clinical?

I had some images made A2 for someone and they came out lovely. Enjoy the 50mm STM, Chris. Massive improvement on the older version I found.

From what I've been able to find you can't get the shutter count unless you send it to Canon.
So when I press the info button and it has the shots taken numbered is this not an accurate view?
Its showing 8003

Also I noticed in the viewfinder when looking say at the white cloud or wall what looks like some dirty little spots,im assuming these are on the sensor and not the viewfinder, this is say before actually taking a shot ,I shot the wall at F22 and can see them there also,
I can't see them in the clouds at lower apertures.
should I try a blower ,I've never done sensor cleaning and would rather send it off than sugar the sensor up if I do it.
or should I just leave it for now as it doesn't effect what I shoot.
by the way found this guy on youtube and he is looking to offering repair and clean type services etc.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptAm6EMteO8

Last edited:
picked up a lovely boxed in great nick BG-E4 from LCE for £25,how do you fit it?do you unscrew the screw of the Battery compt?

picked up a lovely boxed in great nick BG-E4 from LCE for £25,how do you fit it?do you unscrew the screw of the Battery compt?

From what I recal, you open the battery door and there should be a little pin that you can spring back to then remove it.
This should allow the battery pack to just push straight in to place and lock with the tripod screw thread.

Reference shutter count, I'm not sure if that numbering can be reset over time. I wouldn't strictly take it as that's how many actuations it's shot, but then again, if you say it's a bit of a minter then it could be.

Also I noticed in the viewfinder when looking say at the white cloud or wall what looks like some dirty little spots,im assuming these are on the sensor and not the viewfinder, this is say before actually taking a shot ,I shot the wall at F22 and can see them there also,
I can't see them in the clouds at lower apertures.
should I try a blower ,I've never done sensor cleaning and would rather send it off than sugar the sensor up if I do it.
or should I just leave it for now as it doesn't effect what I shoot.
by the way found this guy on youtube and he is looking to offering repair and clean type services etc.

If you can see stuff through the OVF then it's in the optical path and not on the sensor. Stuff you see through the OVF will not appear on pictures so if it looks like it does it's just that you have dust bunnies on your sensor in about the same place :D You can remove the focus screen and give it a quick and gentle wash and as long as you don't mark it (they're delicate) that might improve the situation. You can also carefully clean the mirror.

It's also highly likely that there is contamination on the sensor as the 5D was know to be a dust bunny magnate, I was forever cleaning mine. The good news is that contamination on the sensor might not matter and even if it does matter it's easy enough to clean. I used to check and clean mine before going out for the day as to be honest cleaning the sensor saves time cloning out dust bunnies in Photoshop.

Anyway, just in case you're not sure how to check the sensor this is what I do... set the camera to ISO 100 and aperture priority, select the smallest aperture your lens allows, f16 or f22 or whatever, select manual focus and focus at infinity. Now take a close up shot of a white door or a piece of white paper. Try and do this with a shutter speed of a couple of seconds or more so that you have time to move the camera slightly during the exposure, just move the camera left to right or right to left, I'd recommend doing this as what you want to end up with is a grey picture showing any sensor contamination and if the camera is stationary you might end up picking up some detail on the door or paper and this could look like sensor contamination. I'd recommend taking a series of pictures starting with the minimum aperture and widening to something like f8. When you view the pictures on your pc keep in mind what aperture you're likely to be shooting at and if for example you'll be shooting between wide open and f8 or so and there's contamination at f16 or f22 but none at f8 then who cares? :D If however there's contamination visible at an aperture you may want to shoot at you may decide to clean the sensor.

When cleaning the sensor make sure there's plenty of charge in the battery. I'd always try a Rocket first and if that doesn't do the trick I'd do a wet clean. Personally I think that you should learn how to clean the sensor yourself as I think that sensor contamination is just a fact of life with these cameras. Over the years I've probably cleaned sensors hundreds of times now and I've never done any damage. All you need is confidence and ordinary care and skill and you'll be fine :D

Last edited:
If you cannot fit the grip I have a manual somewhere although I think it is available online. I have always understood you cannot get the shutter count on a 5Dc unless you return the camera to Canon but now you have the camera and it looks mint, does it matter? Has the mirror been fixed may be more important, mine hasn't been btw. Have a look at the recent sensor cleaning thread, which will probably leave you none the wiser. Mine has dust spots which I haven't noticed until recently but having done the test with white paper etc. I will attempt to clean the sensor this weekend.

I just lived with dust bunnies, part of its old-school charm.

If you cannot fit the grip I have a manual somewhere although I think it is available online. I have always understood you cannot get the shutter count on a 5Dc unless you return the camera to Canon but now you have the camera and it looks mint, does it matter? Has the mirror been fixed may be more important, mine hasn't been btw. Have a look at the recent sensor cleaning thread, which will probably leave you none the wiser. Mine has dust spots which I haven't noticed until recently but having done the test with white paper etc. I will attempt to clean the sensor this weekend.
lol just found the manual in the box :) and the warranty paper

Back