Canon 5D mk II official owners/users thread, anything related to the 5D2

Dexy101 said:
If your shooting landscapes and seascapes then the 5dmk2 will do wonders for you.

Would the AF be okay with the kids playing sport etc?

For sport the centre point AF would be mostly OK, but the outer points are pretty poor for action shooting. That could limit your compositional freedom significantly. Then there is the frame rate factor to consider, if you think that would matter, and possibly things like shutter lag and viewfinder blackout.

I love my 5D2 for what it can do, which is beautiful images, but compared to my 1D3 and 7D it feels stuck in treacle. I press the shutter release and frequently am left wondering why nothing happens. It may only be milliseconds of delay, but it is very evident when you're used to faster gear.

If landscapes and seascapes (or other static scenes) were your only interests then I'd say save your money and get the 5D2. If sports/action are a significant part of the equation then I'd stump up for the 5D3. Indeed, I reckon that for my needs the 5D3 (well a pair of them) could replace all three of my current cameras, but I'm sticking with what I have.

tdodd said:
For sport the centre point AF would be mostly OK, but the outer points are pretty poor for action shooting. That could limit your compositional freedom significantly. Then there is the frame rate factor to consider, if you think that would matter, and possibly things like shutter lag and viewfinder blackout.

I love my 5D2 for what it can do, which is beautiful images, but compared to my 1D3 and 7D it feels stuck in treacle. I press the shutter release and frequently am left wondering why nothing happens. It may only be milliseconds of delay, but it is very evident when you're used to faster gear.

If landscapes and seascapes (or other static scenes) were your only interests then I'd say save your money and get the 5D2. If sports/action are a significant part of the equation then I'd stump up for the 5D3. Indeed, I reckon that for my needs the 5D3 (well a pair of them) could replace all three of my current cameras, but I'm sticking with what I have.

Thanks for this, looks like a 5D3 is the right choice, I'll only be wanting to upgrade if I do get the 2 some time in the future.

Hi my name is Stuart and I'm a 5D mkII aholic.
I've lusted over one for ages and have now succumbed to my craving and finally bought my fix.
Here's hoping it arrives tomorrow as I'm starting to get fidgety! :LOL:

stupar said:
I've lusted over one for ages and have now succumbed to my craving and finally bought my fix.

Brilliant, I got one a few weeks ago as like you I could resist no longer. It's awesome mate, you won't be disappointed.

Hope it's arrived Stuart - it'll feel like birthdays and Christmas rolled into one!

I think the 5D MkII is a fantastic camera and I am still 'growing into it' - its capabilities exceed mine at the minute and I am still learning.

The important thing, as always, is to get out there and enjoy it!

:D

After owning my 600D since Christmas 2011 I've been yearning for something more and have had my heart set on a 5D2 for a while (as I couldn't afford a 5D3), so today I bought one of eBay and a 24-70 f2.8 to go with it!

Excited much? :)

I better start reading this thread! :)

After owning my 600D since Christmas 2011 I've been yearning for something more and have had my heart set on a 5D2 for a while (as I couldn't afford a 5D3), so today I bought one of eBay and a 24-70 f2.8 to go with it!

Excited much? :)

I better start reading this thread! :)

Welcome to the gang! Nice lens too (y)

I think you'll be finding lots of great things about the MkII over the coming weeks (I've had mine a few months and still discovering!)

It's here!

e93e1451.jpg

Please excuse the dodgy iPhone image and messy table but I was excited lol. :D

Haven't had a chance to use it properly but first impressions are that it's a tidy bit of kit! A world apart from my 600D.

The viewfinder! It's like another world!

Can't wait to get out tomorrow and put some shots through it. :)

Oh, and buy a CF card reader which I cunningly forgot lol.

I have been shooting portraits and glamour work with my trusted 600D since October last year and been having a blast. However, I was allured by friends into getting a 5Dii for a while now, and it has just arrived.

With my previously owned 24-105 F4 USM L IS lens, I am in heaven and the test shots already taken are out of this world. My 600D will remain within my kit as I will keep it as a back up but I cannot wait to see what I can now do with this new body.

Excited as a kid in a sweetie shop at Christmas being served by a scantily clad Cheryl Cole. :love:

UKBorgs said:
I have been shooting portraits and glamour work with my trusted 600D since October last year and been having a blast. However, I was allured by friends into getting a 5Dii for a while now, and it has just arrived.

With my previously owned 24-105 F4 USM L IS lens, I am in heaven and the test shots already taken are out of this world. My 600D will remain within my kit as I will keep it as a back up but I cannot wait to see what I can now do with this new body.

Excited as a kid in a sweetie shop at Christmas being served by a scantily clad Cheryl Cole. :love:

I'm equally excited! I wish I could keep my 600D as its been good to me but it had to go to help fund the 5D2.

My only question is about setting the copyright data on the camera. It states in the manual about needing to use the EOS Utility software with the camera USB connected, but when I install the software on my MBP, it states that the software is outdated and I should use a more up to date version.

Is this simply downloadable from the Canon website or can I set it in camera now, like I could on my 600D?

Or should I just use the camera and then set the data tags etc within LR when I import the CR2 files for processing?

I must admit that I've not looked at setting the copyright info yet. I've got a system rebuild to do installing a SSD and more RAM to help cope with the increased file size then I can have a look.

I imaging if you download it from Canon it should work. That's what I'll be doing later so if you haven't sorted it I'll let you know how I get on.

My only question is about setting the copyright data on the camera. It states in the manual about needing to use the EOS Utility software with the camera USB connected, but when I install the software on my MBP, it states that the software is outdated and I should use a more up to date version.

Is this simply downloadable from the Canon website or can I set it in camera now, like I could on my 600D?

Or should I just use the camera and then set the data tags etc within LR when I import the CR2 files for processing?

If you're running Lion (or ML) then the original EOS Utility didn't work... and it took them an age to update it.
Grab the latest version here: http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Cons...x?DLtcmuri=tcm:14-953817&page=1&type=download

Many thanks for that and I will d/l it tonight. I just want to make sure my work is protected, though I appreciate you can never stop them anyway.

Hmmm... seems the latest version crashes once you turn the camera on when the app is running and it's connected to the camera.
I've reverted back to ver. 2.10.4

Well I've just installed the new magiclantern firmware, is anyone else using it?

From my initial tests it looks very nice indeed. I have often wondered about using it but with the new features that have been implemented for stills,it gave me the push in the right direction to try it out.

I had a quick look and 90% of the feature I doubt in will ever use but there a few on there which will make life a little easier for landscapes etc...
Now if it includes an auto iso feature like the 7d it could be even more useful.

I have heard about this firmware but not yet looked into it. I appreciate that it is more focussed towards video (I do some but not a lot) but where do you find it and install it?

Still waiting to shoot with my new 5Dii....looking like a model shoot on Monday evening. Cannot wait!

Finally bit the bullet and just ordered a 5D mk2 from HDEW after reading everything good everyone has to say about them.... this is going to be a long weekend waiting.... :)

Finally bit the bullet and just ordered a 5D mk2 from HDEW after reading everything good everyone has to say about them.... this is going to be a long weekend waiting.... :)

I've never had a problem with HDEW, bought a 5D Mk11 from them a couple of weeks ago.

Hey guys. I noticed recently that there are some dust specs which are visible already at f9, f22 you can see crisp clear all over. Do you think it's worth purchasing cleaning kit or give it to like Fixation to clean? Fixation is £55 1-off, cleaning kit probably same price for way more times than one.

Wyshniukas said:
Hey guys. I noticed recently that there are some dust specs which are visible already at f9, f22 you can see crisp clear all over. Do you think it's worth purchasing cleaning kit or give it to like Fixation to clean? Fixation is £55 1-off, cleaning kit probably same price for way more times than one.

Hi "Wyshniukas" if it's the sensor your talking about then I found the best way to clean the dust off is to turn the body upside down then with a good air blower, blast five or six good goes moving around the area did the job.

Then before attaching the cover or lens run through the sensor clean via the menu, I should add that the blower I use has a dust filter on the intake, I find that helps greatly too.

Hope that helps..

Hi "Wyshniukas" if it's the sensor your talking about then I found the best way to clean the dust off is to turn the body upside down then with a good air blower, blast five or six good goes moving around the area did the job.

Then before attaching the cover or lens run through the sensor clean via the menu, I should add that the blower I use has a dust filter on the intake, I find that helps greatly too.

Hope that helps..

Focusing screen has dusts as well but I'm not bothered about that.
Dust filter - custom made or came with blower?

I've just joined the club! Bought a 2nd hand 5D Mk2 (6 mths old with under 1,100 actuations - confirmed via eoscount). Getting used to it after crop sensor Canon bodies but from what I've seen so far I'm liking it and it's great getting the proper usage of the wide end of my lenses.

The high ISO performance of the mk II still blows me away :nuts:

I'm a big fan of available light photography, and with a 50mm f/1.4 lens at f/2 or wider I can get shots that I could have only dreamed of when I was shooting film. Here are a few from a recent wedding reception.. all shot at around 1/40 sec, f/2 and ISO 2500. I've tweaked exposure and colour balance in Photoshop, but no noise reduction applied:

50portrait4.jpg

50portrait5.jpg

50portrait6.jpg

A.

Last edited:
Been doing a bit of pricing homework regards new and used 5D Mk2's, you can buy a new one for £1,179, but they seem to sell second hand between £1000 - £1,250 ish.

For a couple of hundred pounds or less you can buy new. They really hold their price.

Been doing a bit of pricing homework regards new and used 5D Mk2's, you can buy a new one for £1,179, but they seem to sell second hand between £1000 - £1,250 ish.

For a couple of hundred pounds or less you can buy new. They really hold their price.

Where are they new for that price? camerapricebuster has them at £1499.

I haven't checked but think that price will be from panamoz for a 5d mk ii from HK. Seem to be a very reputable place to buy from given the feedback I've seen.

£1120 from Panamoz if you pay by BACS, interesting, and it says they cover any import duties too.

Only possible worry would be lack of support from Canon UK during the 1st year warranty period, but you've got a 1yr warranty from panamoz and 3 years from hdew so there's plenty of support there if there is a problem. I've had a few Canon DSLR's though and never had any issues with any of them either during or after the warranty period so wouldn't worry about it at all to be honest. As a point of comparison, my 1st DSLR - a Canon 300D is still going strong after I gave it to a friend while back.

wOw, £1.120 for a new one, that's the average second hand 5D/2 body price ok!

Any worries buying an import??

Less worries than buying used.

Also, in the next few months, once the Canon 5D Mk III start hitting the second hand market, your be able to pick up a used MkII at bargain prises.

Last edited:
Back